"That Song"

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Connacht - 1 January 2023 - RDS - RTÉ2

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

neiliog93 wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:51 am
Dave Cahill wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:41 am I'd say that there would be a not insignificant number of people, particularly younger people (under 30 say), who.might not be all that interested in football (and quite a few rugby fans are almost aggressively uninterested in football, just looking at some of the posts here over the years would be proof enough of that), who would have very little knowledge of the Wolfe Tones oeuvre or Celtic Symphony or even that its a soft rather than hard C

That number would, of course, be smaller after the whole women's soccer team post qualification news cycle, but it's not inconceivable that someone who works in rugby or the GAA would have very little to no interest in that story.

I just think it's a mistake to rule out 'f%~king stupid' as a reason - never underestimate the amount of stupid out there!
Exactly. When given a choice between believing someone's actions come from malevolence vs. stupidity, it's more likely the latter.

I also agree that many of the younger generation under 30 (I am one, just about) wouldn't immediately cop on to the 'up the rah' part being an IRA reference.
I’m calling absolute Bollix on this

If you don’t know that “up the Ra” is an IRA reference” then you’re either not a real person or a total f%~king idiot.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Dave Cahill
I'd say that there would be a not insignificant number of people, particularly younger people (under 30 say), who.might not be all that interested in football (and quite a few rugby fans are almost aggressively uninterested in football, just looking at some of the posts here over the years would be proof enough of that), who would have very little knowledge of the Wolfe Tones oeuvre or Celtic Symphony or even that its a soft rather than hard C

That number would, of course, be smaller after the whole women's soccer team post qualification news cycle, but it's not inconceivable that someone who works in rugby or the GAA would have very little to no interest in that story.

I just think it's a mistake to rule out 'f%~king stupid' as a reason - never underestimate the amount of stupid out there!
Agreed. There is a lot of stupid out there.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 3:05 am
neiliog93 wrote:
I also agree that many of the younger generation under 30 (I am one, just about) wouldn't immediately cop on to the 'up the rah' part being an IRA reference.
Not being part of that age group myself, I'd have to say that would surprise me. It wouldn't surprise me, as I previously said, that they wouldn't know the source - but the meaning?
I could have seen (before the women's football team incident) someone claiming that IRA meant war of independence rather than provos but people no ra means IRA.

No excuse now. It was plastered over all the news and the memes (for u30s).
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 2:41 am I'd say that there would be a not insignificant number of people, particularly younger people (under 30 say), who.might not be all that interested in football (and quite a few rugby fans are almost aggressively uninterested in football, just looking at some of the posts here over the years would be proof enough of that), who would have very little knowledge of the Wolfe Tones oeuvre or Celtic Symphony or even that its a soft rather than hard C

Exactly. When given a choice between believing someone's actions come from malevolence vs. stupidity, it's more likely the latter.

It's an unfortunate time when ignorance is no excuse and malevolence must be assumed. :roll:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Re "Celtic Symphony" storm in a tea cup, IMO. That said, Leinster rugby, in fact rugby in general, should steer well clear of any and all "Old Firm" bolloxology. Leave that shite to Uncle Andy and the Kneebreakers.

See:

https://youtu.be/j9qV8buoY1E

https://youtu.be/u_d9PrXfjhA

https://youtu.be/iw71RiYCsYQ
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I’m glad they apologised quickly, and I’m even more glad it didn’t happen after an Ulster game. It’s disappointing and will be used by those in the usual quarters as a stick to beat us with. Anyway, you can’t unring a bell, as EOS would say.

Not sure what to make of the game. The back line looked very slick at times, with J10 and Ngatai pulling the strings. Great to see Larmour back to his best, when you remember how we were struggling to pick a back line earlier in the season.

Baird is really starting to deliver consistently and rounding out his game. Hopefully he keeps going.

Difficult to judge Milne: he was blown up a few times in the scrum (early engagement and pushing) but seemed to have a good game in general.

I hope they know what went wrong with the lineout. It was a weakness last season I thought we had fixed. It looked like Connacht knew our calls maybe?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

No matter how many players like it, they shouldn't have played it. It's toxic and every DJ would know that. Leinster are a National and International brand and don't need this to diminished their image. Happy with the statement.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Some of the comments here are ridiculous. The idea that by singing Celtic Symphony you support terrorism is probably the worst. Some people just like a rhythm, a beat, some of the lyrics. People regularly sing songs that have nothing to do with where they're from, their political or social views, even their gender.
They shouldn't play the song at the RDS though. It creates this negative story that no-one wants. However, the idea that leinster's image or brand will be harmed is also wide of the mark. This isn't a player giving a black player a rotten banana.

Leinster released a statement in public and staff will be given some box ticking training. It'll blow over very soon. Nobody should ever lose their job over this. Repeated offenses maybe. But as this is the first time, I'd be bitterly disappointed if they organisation fired an employee over this song. There are better ways to deal with that.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

suisse wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:30 am Some of the comments here are ridiculous. The idea that by singing Celtic Symphony you support terrorism is probably the worst. Some people just like a rhythm, a beat, some of the lyrics. People regularly sing songs that have nothing to do with where they're from, their political or social views, even their gender.
They shouldn't play the song at the RDS though. It creates this negative story that no-one wants. However, the idea that leinster's image or brand will be harmed is also wide of the mark. This isn't a player giving a black player a rotten banana.

Leinster released a statement in public and staff will be given some box ticking training. It'll blow over very soon. Nobody should ever lose their job over this. Repeated offenses maybe. But as this is the first time, I'd be bitterly disappointed if they organisation fired an employee over this song. There are better ways to deal with that.
I disagree, by playing Celtic Symphony Leinster Rugby have been seen to align themselves with sectarianism and the IRA's (which ever version you choose) campaign of kidnap, torture and murder. Have a look at BBC reporting on the incident to get a flavour about how this is portrayed in external news and how other rugby fans may now perceive Leinster Rugby and their fans.
Has LR paid the Wolfe Tones royalties for playing the song? If so they have financially contributed to the 'cause' and are supportive of all that shite no matter how small the amount.
There's every chance this happened out of ignorance but it has had a significant negative impact on Leinster Rugby's public reputation, and also made me consider whether I should renew my season ticket, it is certainly a sackable offence.
I hope the person responsible is no longer employed by Leinster Rugby.
Not everyone sees this as just a storm in a tea cup.
Last edited by outcast eddie on January 2nd, 2023, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Can the thread be split?

Big mistake with the song, doesn't look good for the game. Doubt it is intentional however, it makes it no less tone deaf as the Twickenham crowd and Swing Low
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

This proves Daves point.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

suisse wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 8:30 am Some of the comments here are ridiculous. The idea that by singing Celtic Symphony you support terrorism is probably the worst. Some people just like a rhythm, a beat, some of the lyrics. People regularly sing songs that have nothing to do with where they're from, their political or social views, even their gender.

What’s ridiculous is thinking this doesn’t damage Leinster. It does. It played a song that includes a chorus in support of a terrorist organisation. It was absolutely f%~king ridiculous and someone should lose their job. Gross incompetence (at best) has to bring consequences.

Rugby doesn’t need this sh!t. Just for those of a certain age who might not remember but the same terrorist organisation that this song glorifies almost killed Nigel Carr, a brilliant Irish international whilst successfully murdering a judge and his wife returning from Dublin. That’s what you are singing about. I’m absolutely disgusted that this shite was played at a Leinster match.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

It was obviously a mistake based on some playlist somewhere from when they usually play Dubliners songs. The hysterical reaction is a bit much.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

RoboProp wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 9:23 am Can the thread be split?

Big mistake with the song, doesn't look good for the game. Doubt it is intentional however, it makes it no less tone deaf as the Twickenham crowd and Swing Low
"Up the ra" isn't a dick joke.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

CiaranIrl wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:06 am It was obviously a mistake based on some playlist somewhere from when they usually play Dubliners songs. The hysterical reaction is a bit much.
May be to you. Not to those who witnessed the barbarity of the IRA
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

the spoofer wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:20 am
CiaranIrl wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:06 am It was obviously a mistake based on some playlist somewhere from when they usually play Dubliners songs. The hysterical reaction is a bit much.
Oh, I did. I despise the IRA campaign and I despise everything that supports it. I did some counselling work as an 18/19 year old with 10/11 years olds that had murdered parents in the north (because I speak Irish). I hate that world of Sinn Fein and the IRA with every fiber of my being.

That doesn't change it being a totally forgivable mistake that a song came on by mistake. It's a nothing.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

CiaranIrl wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:31 am
the spoofer wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:20 am
Oh, I did. I despise the IRA campaign and I despise everything that supports it. I did some counselling work as an 18/19 year old with 10/11 years olds that had murdered parents in the north (because I speak Irish). I hate that world of Sinn Fein and the IRA with every fiber of my being.

That doesn't change it being a totally forgivable mistake that a song came on by mistake. It's a nothing.
Fair dues to you both for the work that you did and your unequivocal condemnation of the terrorists but I will have to disagree with you. The normalisation of Up the Ra is exactly what the terrorists are looking for. They want to glorify their terrorism. We can’t be part of that by playing the f%~king Wolfe Tones.

And apart from anything else, why would we play a song about a sh!t, sectarian Scottish soccer team?
Last edited by the spoofer on January 2nd, 2023, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 10:06 am
RoboProp wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 9:23 am Can the thread be split?

"Up the ra" isn't a dick joke.
That is not the problematic context of Swing Low to which I was referring
https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... rugby-song
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

RP I would agree that Swing Low has always been objectionable, but with respect there's an element of whataboutery there. Celtic Symphony shouldn't be played, simple as. The Tones made a very handy living for years performing for barstool republicans and were perfectly happy to play to the gallery at a time when the Provos were highly active. The song is clearly offensive to a lot of people and it's incredible that it actually got an airing last night whether through stupidity (which in the context of recent events I find hard to believe) or through some ridiculous attempt to be provocative or 'controversial'.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's a popular civil rights song. I need someone to spell out why that is problematic, especially in relation to the standard for rugby anthems.