Ospreys v Leinster Saturday 7th 19.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Ospreys v Leinster Saturday 7th 19.35 TG4

Post by RoboProp »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:41 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:37 pm Leinsters scrum has become a huge issue.
We've won 93% of our scrums in the league this season.
Conditions were horrific out there tonight and ref got a couple calls not quite right. I was roaring at the telly on one of the last ones. Sure, enough Van De Man was none too pleased with the call either...and he's usually a reserved fellow
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

With Jenkins, Furlong/Mike and Porter our scrum is a weapon.

With Deeny/Molony in the row tonight it was always going to be under pressure against a strong Ospreys front row. That was well flagged before the game.

We've clearly got depth issues behind our first 6 front rowers though.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

curates_egg wrote: January 7th, 2023, 8:20 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: January 7th, 2023, 8:18 pm If Welsh fans were an indie band, they'd be the Boo Boo Dolls
The Boo Bradleys
Those fans are like school in July
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:49 pm With Jenkins, Furlong/Mike and Porter our scrum is a weapon.

With Deeny/Molony in the row tonight it was always going to be under pressure against a strong Ospreys front row. That was well flagged before the game.

Backrow weren't packing down either for the most part which when you're coughing up penos always irks me
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:45 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:44 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:43 pm

It's clearly not a 'huge issue'.
It is.
Well argued with wit and insight as usual GG!

(For anyone else who's wondering, we actually have 100% scrum success so far in Europe, including 3 pens won against Racing.)
Ive no interest in discussing it with you.. i know what ive watched over the past few weeks and its not a strong scrum, if you wish to fool yourself into thinking otherwise go ahead.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

RoboProp wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:50 pm
curates_egg wrote: January 7th, 2023, 8:20 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: January 7th, 2023, 8:18 pm If Welsh fans were an indie band, they'd be the Boo Boo Dolls
The Boo Bradleys
Those fans are like school in July
Got to love the sound of boos echoing around the Library stadium
Anyone But New Zealand
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:49 pm We've clearly got depth issues behind our first 6 front rowers though.
Most teams would be delighted to be able to say that in fairness.
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:51 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:45 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:44 pm

It is.
Well argued with wit and insight as usual GG!

(For anyone else who's wondering, we actually have 100% scrum success so far in Europe, including 3 pens won against Racing.)
Ive no interest in discussing it with you.. i know what ive watched over the past few weeks and its not a strong scrum, if you wish to fool yourself into thinking otherwise go ahead.
You probably missed the Racing game did you? Worth going back and having a look at it again.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:25 pm Big win that - physical game that the Ospreys were well up for and we had to dig deep to pull out the win
They were strong. The first XV were very tough. There was a drop off when they brought substitutes on. Still, that was a tough, tough match for us. One of the toughest we have had all season.

Outstanding kicking performance from Kai Evans. That fella hits the ball so true and so hard. He absolutely leathers it.

Their scrum was very, very strong ... as you would expect it to be with a TH side of Tomas Francis and Alun-Wyn Jones. Nicky Smith and Dewi Lake aren't bad either. It's a very cohesive, canny and powerful unit. They had us in trouble from the first scrum.

We had an underpowered second row out there with Molony and Deeny together. Not really sure what the thinking was behind pairing them.

We had a lot of drops and handling errors in the first half, quite frustrating to watch. The ball was like a bar of soap and we were making a lot of passes and taking a lot of heavy contacts. With that said, that was how we scored our three tries as well – the last two were replete with well-timed and executed passes.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:49 pm With Jenkins, Furlong/Mike and Porter our scrum is a weapon.

You’re saying Deeny and Molony were under pressure but it’s down to a lack of front row depth? That doesn’t make sense. Also, Mike (listed as a weapon) started tonight and we gave away three scrum penalties when he was on.
Gather your thoughts and come back.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I'm still willing to stick with Harry B. Some errors for sure; but some glimmers too. He''s had very little gametime and tonight was a massive challenge from several perspectives. Time will tell
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

There was a huge amount of pressure on Mike tonight. We were underpowered in the second row, and Cian always struggles against Francis. He's had problems with him going back years.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

It was harrys 1st start all season behind a pack well beaten.. he will benefit from it.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

hugonaut wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:59 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: January 7th, 2023, 9:25 pm Big win that - physical game that the Ospreys were well up for and we had to dig deep to pull out the win
They were strong. The first XV were very tough. There was a drop off when they brought substitutes on. Still, that was a tough, tough match for us. One of the toughest we have had all season.

Outstanding kicking performance from Kai Evans. That fella hits the ball so true and so hard. He absolutely leathers it.

Their scrum was very, very strong ... as you would expect it to be with a TH side of Tomas Francis and Alun-Wyn Jones. Nicky Smith and Dewi Lake aren't bad either. It's a very cohesive, canny and powerful unit. They had us in trouble from the first scrum.

We had an underpowered second row out there with Molony and Deeny together. Not really sure what the thinking was behind pairing them.

We had a lot of drops and handling errors in the first half, quite frustrating to watch. The ball was like a bar of soap and we were making a lot of passes and taking a lot of heavy contacts. With that said, that was how we scored our three tries as well – the last two were replete with well-timed and executed passes.
Agree that the second rows were clearly under power and that it was a particularly strange selection given that the Hairspreys are know for a strong scrum and maul.
With JJ injured we might be saving Big Joe for Europe.
It’s interesting that regardless of the front row combinations for either side tonight, we got stuffed.

Tough night for Foley but I still have hope. Unfortunately, my faith in Harry is now fully evaporated.

Sheehan and Conan really stood up tonight and the back three looked dangerous with ball in hand. Slight problem is we were trying to play summer rugby on a sh1t pitch in bad conditions.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:04 pm It was harrys 1st start all season behind a pack well beaten.. he will benefit from it.
He was very poor.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I thought JOB was absolute class tonight; can't recall one error or wrong option taken. Keenan had a wooble or two but his line and finish were sublime. Larmour also had a good game I thought. It's worth also considering that Ospreys had tackled themselves to a standstill by 60 mins; just when the 7th arrived.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Blue Man wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:06 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:04 pm It was harrys 1st start all season behind a pack well beaten.. he will benefit from it.
He was very poor.
He was poor but hardly surprising
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Next weekend in Glaws could be a carbon copy; although they are likely missing their entire first choice FR. Wed/windy day; Glaws have a scrum/maul focus to their game. Granted we''ll have a fair number of changes to the starting 15. I hope Kelleher is fit, as Sheehan is approaching the flogged horse stage - I don't know how he continues at this level consitently.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2023, 8:35 pm Williams their 12 is causing us big problems. Cracking player.
Some of his runs would remind you of Scott Gibbs, i thought he was brilliant
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Was I tripping or did I see Hairsprays going in with the head a couple of times at the breakdown? I could have sworn I heard one of our lads shout at the ref "again they're going in with the head"

It makes no difference to the result, but I can't abide gamesmanship like that going unpunished