Ospreys v Leinster Saturday 7th 19.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Re: Ospreys v Leinster Saturday 7th 19.35 TG4

Post by erskinechilders »

Serb wrote: January 8th, 2023, 2:08 am Just checked the stats there and Conan carried for 106 meters in that game. Made 16 carries total, averaging 6.6 meters per carry. Insane stats.

Also made 9 tackles, joint second highest for Leinster.
Where did you get those stats?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Oldschool wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:53 am
Hoofhearted wrote: January 7th, 2023, 11:29 am
backrower8 wrote: January 6th, 2023, 6:59 pm

You got a typewriter for Xmas?
:wink:
:lol: :happy clapper:
You should have read my response, you'd have got any even better laugh. I did.
Banana skin 1 - 0 PP
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

erskinechilders wrote:
Serb wrote: January 8th, 2023, 2:08 am Just checked the stats there and Conan carried for 106 meters in that game. Made 16 carries total, averaging 6.6 meters per carry. Insane stats.

Also made 9 tackles, joint second highest for Leinster.
Where did you get those stats?
Ultimate Rugby, they use the same source as the URC (I think it’s Opta).
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

I remember reading Mike Ross saying that he always had a battle with Paul James,pre Bath days,who was a constant proponent of the dark arts.
Some players just have an opponent who they struggle against.
I thought the quick ball straight to Conan addressed the scrum issues but the replacement props really did struggle at that level.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Surprisingly, yesterday was James Ryan’s first ever appearance against the Ospreys.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:04 pm It was harrys 1st start all season behind a pack well beaten.. he will benefit from it.
Players aren't robots. This was Harry's (still 23) first start since May and first away start since April. What do people expect?

Foley's service did not help. He is a great broken field player, but he too is a work-in-progress.

Leinster were hot for just 20 mins when we made 5 personnel changes, with Ross and McCarthy bringing great tempo for the only time in the match. We scored two converted tries. Then it got sticky again.

Johnny was a bit out of kilter in the Connacht match after a few weeks without game time. Where were the pitchforks then?

When Johnny is gone we will be very happy if we can have a (fit) roster of Byrne x 2 + Frawley.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 6th, 2023, 7:29 pm
johng wrote: January 6th, 2023, 6:53 pm Nah. My birthday is later in Feb than him and I think of myself as "my new age" about now.
when you get to your age John is your new age not just "old" ?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Impudent young whippersnapper... Of course not it's "even older"
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 6th, 2023, 9:51 am I’m confused. How can a 22 year old essentially be 24?
Is it like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTC0mdDUAAA ... name=small
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

backrower8 wrote: January 8th, 2023, 8:42 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 7th, 2023, 10:04 pm It was harrys 1st start all season behind a pack well beaten.. he will benefit from it.
Players aren't robots. This was Harry's (still 23) first start since May and first away start since April. What do people expect?

Foley's service did not help. He is a great broken field player, but he too is a work-in-progress.

Leinster were hot for just 20 mins when we made 5 personnel changes, with Ross and McCarthy bringing great tempo for the only time in the match. We scored two converted tries. Then it got sticky again.

Johnny was a bit out of kilter in the Connacht match after a few weeks without game time. Where were the pitchforks then?

When Johnny is gone we will be very happy if we can have a (fit) roster of Byrne x 2 + Frawley.
That's a fair comment, though being honest it was a poor performance from Harry. Ross definitely upped it when he arrived. Johnny clearly has a body of work so the odd mistake or poor game is understandable Harry needs a run of games.

That aside, Conan was unreal when he came on which is a particularly remarkable thing given the tight 5 were under pressure. Not a game to rewatch but very happy with the win.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 9th, 2023, 10:12 am

That's a fair comment, though being honest it was a poor performance from Harry. Ross definitely upped it when he arrived. Johnny clearly has a body of work so the odd mistake or poor game is understandable Harry needs a run of games.

That aside, Conan was unreal when he came on which is a particularly remarkable thing given the tight 5 were under pressure. Not a game to rewatch but very happy with the win.
We agree that he needs a run of games, but I definitely don't agree that Harry was poor. There was plenty of good distribution, line licks and a touchline conversion on a bog of a pitch to draw the game. The overkick to Sheehan was almost brilliant, not as if he shanked it, and was the right move as it would have resulted in a try. He kicked out poorly twice and maybe one of the dropped passes was his fault. A mediocre to middling performance, 4/10 for me and, like the rest of the team, much more valuable for us in terms of development than a 20+ point win against a side that wasn't trying.

Conan was on from the start and excellent throughout the game, not just the second half as mentioned by someone else. His metres (106) were three times the official POTM's and 50% higher than the next best on the pitch - Hugo on 70; with 16 carries he had almost as many as the best two ospreys combined (Lake & 'POTM' Williams with 9 each) and 5 more than the next highest - Hugo on 11. cONAN WAS MY potm. Sunday Times gave it to Super-Dan.

I still don't think I would start Conan for the Champions Cup match as I think Doris is best at 8 and Baird merits the 6 slot.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Conan started, but that's an accurate reflection of the nature of the game and his, and many others, performance in it
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

jimbobjoe wrote: January 9th, 2023, 8:38 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 6th, 2023, 9:51 am I’m confused. How can a 22 year old essentially be 24?
Is it like this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTC0mdDUAAA ... name=small
BRILLIANT 😂😂😂
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

backrower8 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 10:53 am

We agree that he needs a run of games, but I definitely don't agree that Harry was poor. There was plenty of good distribution, line licks and a touchline conversion on a bog of a pitch to draw the game. The overkick to Sheehan was almost brilliant, not as if he shanked it, and was the right move as it would have resulted in a try. He kicked out poorly twice and maybe one of the dropped passes was his fault. A mediocre to middling performance, 4/10 for me and, like the rest of the team, much more valuable for us in terms of development than a 20+ point win against a side that wasn't trying.

Conan was on from the start and excellent throughout the game, not just the second half as mentioned by someone else. His metres (106) were three times the official POTM's and 50% higher than the next best on the pitch - Hugo on 70; with 16 carries he had almost as many as the best two ospreys combined (Lake & 'POTM' Williams with 9 each) and 5 more than the next highest - Hugo on 11. cONAN WAS MY potm. Sunday Times gave it to Super-Dan.

I still don't think I would start Conan for the Champions Cup match as I think Doris is best at 8 and Baird merits the 6 slot.
He had three knock-ons against him, but one of them was uncatchable, an absolute horrorshow of a pass from Foley. Drico wouldn't have caught it. Another was a ball on the ground that had been successively fumbled backwards by Molony and Osborne – both of those lads mishandled the ball too, and it was just down to luck that neither of them knocked it on before HB.

The one on the right hand side near the Ospreys line was quite a curious ruling. To my eyes, he bobbled the ball forward in catching it and immediately batted it backwards to Conan [who almost reached the line]. The ref played on, but the touch judge beeped him and a few seconds later the ref called it as a forward pass. I'm obviously a Leinster fan, put I didn't think that the bat to Conan was forward. On the other hand, Harry initially bobbled the ball forward and then batted it backwards to another player, never regaining possession himself. Does that count as a knock-on?

I agree with you on the crosskick – 30cm difference over 40m and it's an amazing kick. I wouldn't criticise any player for that.

Both halfbacks made a good few errors, but it was a tough game and they are both young players. They also had good moments. Same goes for Deeny, Abdaladze and Milne. You can play them at home against the Dragons and Zebre, watch them do really well and get excited about their prospects, but we're going to need them to play tough games away from home too. The more of those that they play in, and that we win, the better. That was a good learning experience for all those players. They will have gotten more out of it than a cakewalk in the RDS.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote: January 9th, 2023, 11:28 am

He had three knock-ons against him, but one of them was uncatchable, an absolute horrorshow of a pass from Foley. Drico wouldn't have caught it. Another was a ball on the ground that had been successively fumbled backwards by Molony and Osborne – both of those lads mishandled the ball too, and it was just down to luck that neither of them knocked it on before HB.

The one on the right hand side near the Ospreys line was quite a curious ruling. To my eyes, he bobbled the ball forward in catching it and immediately batted it backwards to Conan [who almost reached the line]. The ref played on, but the touch judge beeped him and a few seconds later the ref called it as a forward pass. I'm obviously a Leinster fan, put I didn't think that the bat to Conan was forward. On the other hand, Harry initially bobbled the ball forward and then batted it backwards to another player, never regaining possession himself. Does that count as a knock-on?

I agree with you on the crosskick – 30cm difference over 40m and it's an amazing kick. I wouldn't criticise any player for that.

Both halfbacks made a good few errors, but it was a tough game and they are both young players. They also had good moments. Same goes for Deeny, Abdaladze and Milne. You can play them at home against the Dragons and Zebre, watch them do really well and get excited about their prospects, but we're going to need them to play tough games away from home too. The more of those that they play in, and that we win, the better. That was a good learning experience for all those players. They will have gotten more out of it than a cakewalk in the RDS.
100%!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 9th, 2023, 11:02 am

Conan started, but that's an accurate reflection of the nature of the game and his, and many others, performance in it
Typo, came in......doh. One of his best games for a long time.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 12:12 pm

100%!
a tight, hard fought, physical match whether is be a win or a loss is a much better crucible that a cakewalk. Everyday
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

riocard911 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 12:12 pm

100%!
+1