Munster v Leinster St Stephen's Day 19.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster v Leinster St Stephen's Day 19.35 TG4

Post by Hippo »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 27th, 2022, 8:15 am Jackman's 'fan with a mic' commentary on Premier TV was a joke. In attempting to appease / attract a Munster fan-base, he solely complimented Munster's actions and made a number of straight factual errors. He has certainly been slipping down my list of favoured analysts in recent months and this was another display of crass bias.
I suspect he's trying to make up for his early season comment that Munster would end up in the Challenge Cup and that that would be their level - something along those lines anyway. His effort last night was ridiculous.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Rowntree’s post match despair and irritation when he could barely bring himself to talk about Minster’s concession of 2 tries while a player up on Leinster spoke volumes about the big task he and his management team have on their hands to improve Munster’s game management. To be fair to him, it was criminal of his players to go from 14-7 up to 20-14 down in 8 minutes or so while Leinster were reduced to 14 players. I wonder if an element of complacency crept into their heads when they established their 8 point lead with a player in hand?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Penny has 25 trys for Leinster, Sheehan has 24.

They converted good chances, but defendable chances and they scored them fast (which let us strike twice in the end)

Getting over the line on the first go took away the opportunity to poach.

So useful to have players like that, simply being better at converting from scoring positions lifts the whole team.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

ronk wrote: December 27th, 2022, 9:38 am Penny has 25 trys for Leinster, Sheehan has 24.

They converted good chances, but defendable chances and they scored them fast (which let us strike twice in the end)

Getting over the line on the first go took away the opportunity to poach.

So useful to have players like that, simply being better at converting from scoring positions lifts the whole team.
Amazing try scoring record for young forwards.

Penny, Sheehan and Ronan K have an other worldly ability to be in the right place at the right time. Super players.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I suppose Munster fans have to believe they are on an upward trajectory. If they don’t than what’s the point. How long is Prendy there now? 5 months including a preseason? Maybe they are improving but we just are not seeing it yet. Or maybe they are in denial about this new style of play, it’s easier to be in denial than accept you’re still where you started.

TRK has gone from calling Keith Earls - The Man or The Moyross Express to #11 and he’s done the same with #9. That’s a pretty sad state of affairs for a guy who supposedly bleeds Munster to be so disrespectful to two of their best players over a period of 10+ years. His commentary and overhyping of players when he’s a bit of a staple diet for a lot of Munster fans has lead to their denial about where they are. One week he wants them in the Ireland team and makes snide comments about other players who get selected the next he loses all perspective and can’t even call a player by name. The worst kind of fan.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

the spoofer wrote:Seeing lots of the “Munster are getting closer” schtick. We had 6 of our first choice team there tonight and still managed to handle them quite well.
If you assume that the 15 that started in Marseille are our 1st choice XV- 4 started last night.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

Barry wrote: December 27th, 2022, 10:03 am
the spoofer wrote:Seeing lots of the “Munster are getting closer” schtick. We had 6 of our first choice team there tonight and still managed to handle them quite well.
If you assume that the 15 that started in Marseille are our 1st choice XV- 4 started last night.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Let them think they are getting closer. Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake.

The big question is..... how long before the Brave and Faithful turn on Rowntree?
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Hippo wrote: December 27th, 2022, 8:58 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: December 27th, 2022, 8:15 am Jackman's 'fan with a mic' commentary on Premier TV was a joke. In attempting to appease / attract a Munster fan-base, he solely complimented Munster's actions and made a number of straight factual errors. He has certainly been slipping down my list of favoured analysts in recent months and this was another display of crass bias.
I suspect he's trying to make up for his early season comment that Munster would end up in the Challenge Cup and that that would be their level - something along those lines anyway. His effort last night was ridiculous.
He was comedy gold, some of the worst 'commentary' I have ever heard, wonder did he have a bet with somebody to sound like a Munster fan boy or was he just taking the Michael entirely and completely....
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Congratulations on the win ladies and gents, it was a very entertaining game from start to finish.
The Leinster defensive system was a sight to behold and it took Munster a long time to break it down for Campbell’s try.
Additionally, massive credit has to go to Leo for his willingness to haul underperforming players off at half time. All too often we see substitutions early in the second half which should have happened at half time or even earlier.

The game was a lot closer than I had expected and to be fair, but for an 8 minute period of dominance Munster could well have kept Leinster tryless, but that’s all it takes for a top team like Leinster.

Munster managed to do what very few have done this season, and that’s to take a LBP and not concede a TBP.

It is great to see the level of distain directed towards Munster, their fans, their social media accounts, the media and Jackman, as this is a sure sign that there is some truth to the positivity being expressed.

Munster are only a few weeks into this new coaching ticket and new style of play, and imo have come a long way in terms of execution, but they still have a distance to go before they can be confident of a victory heading into big games.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

munster#1 wrote: December 27th, 2022, 10:30 am Congratulations on the win ladies and gents, it was a very entertaining game from start to finish.
The Leinster defensive system was a sight to behold and it took Munster a long time to break it down for Campbell’s try.
Additionally, massive credit has to go to Leo for his willingness to haul underperforming players off at half time. All too often we see substitutions early in the second half which should have happened at half time or even earlier.

The game was a lot closer than I had expected and to be fair, but for an 8 minute period of dominance Munster could well have kept Leinster tryless, but that’s all it takes for a top team like Leinster.

Munster managed to do what very few have done this season, and that’s to take a LBP and not concede a TBP.

It is great to see the level of distain directed towards Munster, their fans, their social media accounts, the media and Jackman, as this is a sure sign that there is some truth to the positivity being expressed.

Munster are only a few weeks into this new coaching ticket and new style of play, and imo have come a long way in terms of execution, but they still have a distance to go before they can be confident of a victory heading into big games.
Nobody came off at half time, did they? Baird and Nick McCarthy came off at 50 minutes. Conan and Ablz. came on 55/60 minutes.

That said, neither Baird nor Nick M had good games, but it worked out because their respective partners in the row and half back had excellent games. Good learning curve for Baird in the second row against two very experienced and effective operators. For the time being, he isn't ready to start big games as a lock, but he'll be incredible when he gets more experience and coaching. Not sure Nick McCarthy will ever be good enough on the other hand. He was a real weak link, as was Murray for Munster. Was illustrative that they were both gone at the same time and both sides improved straight away.
Last edited by CiaranIrl on December 27th, 2022, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

munster#1 wrote: December 27th, 2022, 10:30 am Congratulations on the win ladies and gents, it was a very entertaining game from start to finish.

Well said. congrats on the loss. :green clap:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

OTT wrote: December 27th, 2022, 9:49 am

TRK has gone from calling Keith Earls - The Man or The Moyross Express to #11 and he’s done the same with #9. That’s a pretty sad state of affairs for a guy who supposedly bleeds Munster to be so disrespectful to two of their best players over a period of 10+ years. His commentary and overhyping of players when he’s a bit of a staple diet for a lot of Munster fans has lead to their denial about where they are. One week he wants them in the Ireland team and makes snide comments about other players who get selected the next he loses all perspective and can’t even call a player by name. The worst kind of fan.

Noticed that, it's very strange stuff.

He's clearly calling them out but doesn't want to name them?

Has done similar with Niall Scannell for quite a while.

He is right though, all three are past it.

Scannell is like a different species compared to Sheehan/Kelleher.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

JohnB wrote:Rowntree’s post match despair and irritation when he could barely bring himself to talk about Minster’s concession of 2 tries while a player up on Leinster spoke volumes about the big task he and his management team have on their hands to improve Munster’s game management. To be fair to him, it was criminal of his players to go from 14-7 up to 20-14 down in 8 minutes or so while Leinster were reduced to 14 players. I wonder if an element of complacency crept into their heads when they established their 8 point lead with a player in hand?
I saw a stat on twitter (so would need checking) that of the 10 mins sin bin, Leinster had possession of the ball for 9 mins 15 secs... And that included Munster receiving the ball after one of the tries.

That must be really frustrating to watch as the oppo coach.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

In terms of winners in blue from that game last night, for me McCarthy, Baird and Osborne really put down a marker.

Baird wasn't his usual all action self, but had some massive hits and lineout worked well.

McCarthy is just a freak of an athlete. His ability to generate huge power off the line is brilliant. Must've made 5 big hits last night that drove a ball carrier back. He can be a real 'enforcer' for us. Still quite loose around the ruck but that will come.

Osborne showed again what an incredible talent he is. Just turned 21 and putting in performances like that across the backline is amazing. And yet he still goes under the radar I feel. He'll actually improve far more because he's on a totally different trajectory to a guy who has played Senior Cup and come in via the traditional Academy/AIL 1A route.

I think Nick McCarthy will be very unhappy about his game. Munster made it very tough but he looked a bit lost, passing wasn't brilliant and Luke made a huge difference coming in.

I also think Deegan will be massively frustrated. He carried really well and was a big presence but that ball strip, knock on and the two pens on the line will haunt him.

Our 13-15 was probably the strongest part of our team but were actually all relatively quiet. However each one had a big moment or two that turned momentum. Ringer with the high ball take, Larmour & Lowe with a turnover and ball strip and Keenan with some lovely attacking inputs.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

CiaranIrl wrote: December 27th, 2022, 10:40 am

Nobody came off at half time, did they? Baird and Nick McCarthy came off at 50 minutes. Conan and Ablz. came on 55/60 minutes.

That said, neither Baird nor Nick M had good games, but it worked out because their respective partners in the row and half back had excellent games. Good learning curve for Baird in the second row against two very experienced and effective operators. For the time being, he isn't ready to start big games as a lock, but he'll be incredible when he gets more experience and coaching. Not sure Nick McCarthy will ever be good enough on the other hand. He was a real weak link, as was Murray for Munster. Was illustrative that they were both gone at the same time and both sides improved straight away.
Ah sorry, I haven’t managed to watch the game back, I was full sure both McCarty and Baird were half time changes.

I feel for Nick, because a lot of the issues he had yesterday were down to poor protection from his pack, but he was really poor.

Hopefully Baird does come good, he looks like a special athlete, but despite almost 50 pro appearances including 8 Irish caps he still looks a little out of his depth, and last night would probably have set him back a bit.
I’ve said this a fair few times, but I’d love to see him bulk up and become an enforcer type blindside.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bizarre to say that starting as the senior second row in a winning effort in Thomond against Kleyn/Beirne/POM will 'set Baird back'.
I don't think that's true at all.

He's clearly now seen as a blindside but the ability to play second row to a high enough level will stand to him for both Leinster & Ireland.

Wasn't as impactful as McCarthy but had some big hits and defensive maul/lineout worked well. Certainly not 'out of his depth', whatever that means.

It was likely always the plan to take him off early to have him for Connacht game and probably expedited by Deegan's yellow.
Cheeses of Nazareth
Knowledgeable

Post by Cheeses of Nazareth »

munster#1 wrote: December 27th, 2022, 10:30 am It is great to see the level of distain directed towards Munster, their fans, their social media accounts, the media and Jackman, as this is a sure sign that there is some truth to the positivity being expressed.
I’m not sure there’s much disdain against Munster the team or fans. I think there is a bit of disdain for how they’re being portrayed in the media though especially on the likes of OTB. Players getting hyped up for Ireland when they would struggle to get into a Leinster 23.

Coombes is a case in point. Decent player no doubt, powerful and great from 2m out but doesn’t appear to have the pace/mobility or variety to his game for the top level. Or if he does, we haven’t seen it yet. Compare him to the likes of Doris and VDF and he’s miles behind them.

Similar hyping for Paddy Patterson after a couple of decent cameos. The continued narrative that Carbery just needs minutes to cement his place as Sextons heir. It does them no favours when they come up short.

That said there is plenty to be excited about. Casey was excellent last night when he came on. Edogbo looks like a very interesting player. Solid lump of a lad and able to force a turnover in the tight. The type of player Irish rugby needs to bring through alongside Big Joe. Crowley should be given the majority of minutes at 10 outside Casey this season. He won’t have to do much to overtake Carbery in his current iteration as long as he kicks his goals.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: December 27th, 2022, 11:07 am
CiaranIrl wrote: December 27th, 2022, 10:40 am

Ah sorry, I haven’t managed to watch the game back, I was full sure both McCarty and Baird were half time changes.

I feel for Nick, because a lot of the issues he had yesterday were down to poor protection from his pack, but he was really poor.

Hopefully Baird does come good, he looks like a special athlete, but despite almost 50 pro appearances including 8 Irish caps he still looks a little out of his depth, and last night would probably have set him back a bit.
I’ve said this a fair few times, but I’d love to see him bulk up and become an enforcer type blindside.
With all due respect, and also acknowledging that you watched the match last night as a Munster Fan, your comment on Baird suggests you haven’t watched the game at all let alone watch it back. The man put in a really solid performance, repeating rep after rep. That game didn’t pass him by, his performance passed you by…
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: December 27th, 2022, 11:17 am Bizarre to say that starting as the senior second row in a winning effort in Thomond against Kleyn/Beirne/POM will 'set Baird back'.
I don't think that's true at all.

He's clearly now seen as a blindside but the ability to play second row to a high enough level will stand to him for both Leinster & Ireland.

Wasn't as impactful as McCarthy but had some big hits and defensive maul/lineout worked well. Certainly not 'out of his depth', whatever that means.

It was likely always the plan to take him off early to have him for Connacht game and probably expedited by Deegan's yellow.
It's funny that some people are saying Bard played well and some are saying the opposite. I thought was ok personally, certainly not "out of his depth", rediculous comment. Munster brought incredible intensity in that first half and made it difficult for everyone, which makes it difficult for a player like Baird to shine. I also think he's having his best season to date and that's without the flashy highlight reel stuff. So saying "hopefully he'll come good" is also rediculous.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Right. I am going to read the room and tap out.

Congratulations again on the victory.
I would love to be able to say that we could possible turn the result at the knockout stages, but unfortunately I don’t see Munster getting that far.