Heineken Champions Cup - Leinster V Gloucester Fri, 16 Dec 2022, 20:00

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Heineken Champions Cup - Leinster V Gloucester Fri, 16 Dec 2022, 20:00

Post by wixfjord »

I absolutely love Ross Molony. Such a leader.

Re-watched this morning.
70 mins into the game with us 45-0 up and playing with advantage in our own half.
Sexton hits Molony with a flat pass and he has an option to carry or pass.
Waits until last minute to throw pass which hits the ground.

All you can hear on refs mic is Ross screaming 'f%~k? in frustration.

Then you hear Sexton go 'come on Ross, concentrate'.

That's proper mentality there.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ngatai is playing well and is a tank in the carry.

He's still a little bit off in terms of passing and handling though.

12 is a vital part of our attacking structure since it's a key pivot for loop plays. But last night and last week there were a few hit the ground from him or knocked on by him.

Great start to his Leinster career, but hopefully more to come.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Keenan's 50/22 was a thing of beauty btw. What a footballer.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Could someone maybe tell Ryle Nugent, that the name of the Leinster and Ireland number one loosehead prop is Andrew Porter and not Andrew Porder.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

In September 1991 Gloucester beat a full Ireland team in Kingsholm, the 90s was a pretty low point for Irish Rugby and the structures have been put in place to put us where we are now at least pretty good at both provincial and at National level.

It’s an indictment of the current tournament that Gloucester saw fit to send such a callow team to the RDS last night to get nilled and will probably still be able to qualify for the next round.

Don’t get me wrong, I like to see a professional performance from Leinster Rugby, but it’s a sad day when the mighty Cherry and Whites just turn up …
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

What an offload from Dan the Man for the Larmour try. Very hard to get the required pace on the ball from the position he was in. He really is a very talented rugby player.
Lowe up to 50 tries now in 68 apps?
Luke up to 45 tries and goes level with Nugget.
The game itself, an indictment of the Nigels.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
pangurban1
Bookworm

Post by pangurban1 »

riocard911 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 12:27 pm Could someone maybe tell Ryle Nugent, that the name of the Leinster and Ireland number one loosehead prop is Andrew Porter and not Andrew Porder.
Is it Ryle that continually says super?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Food for thought re the return fixture......

I get the impression from reading the management interviews and the 'spikey' attitude of some of the Glaw players on the pitch last night, that they are pissed off that they have to keep defending their team selection and have to clarify that they are not diminishing the competition. Now whatever way you look at it, whether you agree with their decision or not, they did bring it on themselves (i.e. it was their decision).

Anyway, my point is, I get the feeling that they're leaving town a bit miffed and will be waiting in the long grass for the return fixture. I think we can expect a backlash from them as they may feel they have a point to prove. I'm sure we will, but we will definitely need to be 'on point' for this one.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Yeah, I think both of our remaining fixtures will have a lot of bite — I think Gloucester were pretty fired up last night and Racing will have been pretty embarrassed with the score line “at home”.

I think we’ll win both games but I doubt either of them will be anywhere near the walk in the park the first two games have been.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We'll know a little more after Racing play Quins. An away win sets them up and they don't need a result in Dublin.

Gloucester face Bordeaux who lost at home to the Sharks. The have some bonus points if they want to fight on but they might as easily thrown in the towel knowing they have to travel to SA.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

pangurban1 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:28 pm
riocard911 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 12:27 pm Could someone maybe tell Ryle Nugent, that the name of the Leinster and Ireland number one loosehead prop is Andrew Porter and not Andrew Porder.
Is it Ryle that continually says super?
He’s (a lot) better than cahill….
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Laighin Break wrote: December 17th, 2022, 10:37 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 17th, 2022, 10:08 am
Serb wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:55 am Imagine it? No, ref gave a penalty for it!
yeah, but it was like really really bad - I mean like citing and ban worthy bad
Ah I don't think it was that bad - penalty and nothing more was a fair call imho. Not in the same league as Liam Williams.
It was clearly deliberate and reckless. A real cheap shot, thought the officials should have given a harsher punishment to be honest.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeinsterLeader wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:33 pm Food for thought re the return fixture......

I get the impression from reading the management interviews and the 'spikey' attitude of some of the Glaw players on the pitch last night, that they are pissed off that they have to keep defending their team selection and have to clarify that they are not diminishing the competition. Now whatever way you look at it, whether you agree with their decision or not, they did bring it on themselves (i.e. it was their decision).

Anyway, my point is, I get the feeling that they're leaving town a bit miffed and will be waiting in the long grass for the return fixture. I think we can expect a backlash from them as they may feel they have a point to prove. I'm sure we will, but we will definitely need to be 'on point' for this one.
That maybe so but the reality is the players they put out were nowhere near good enough to challenge Leinster. You can be as miffed or fired up as you want to be but there was a gulf in class last Friday. Racing's loss might also mean they lose interest, the current format is killing this tournament.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeinsterLeader wrote: December 17th, 2022, 9:33 pm Food for thought re the return fixture......

They got nilled while shipping 57pts. What exactly is their defense?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: December 19th, 2022, 2:19 pm

That it's prudent use of limited resources, which is totally fair imo.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: December 19th, 2022, 2:46 pm

Not at all fair on the sacrificial lambs they sent over, a hammering like that had no benefit whatsoever
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

It's cope.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: December 19th, 2022, 4:10 pm
It's cope.
Nope.

It makes total sense.

They've already got 5 points.

One more win and some BPs will qualify them.

They've a busy Xmas period with lots of games.

They've loads of injuries.

They likely weren't going to get any points in Dublin anyway.

So they decided to send the espoirs over.

It's prudent use of limited resources as I've said.

Not Gloucester's fault the way the competition is structured. Blame EPCR for this stupid format.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: December 19th, 2022, 3:32 pm
Not at all fair on the sacrificial lambs they sent over, a hammering like that had no benefit whatsoever
That's irrelevant. It's pro sport. They've chosen what they feel is the smartest plan for the club, which this approach clearly is.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: December 19th, 2022, 5:12 pm
paddyor wrote: December 19th, 2022, 4:10 pm

It's cope.
Nope.

It makes total sense.

They've already got 5 points.

One more win and some BPs will qualify them.

They've a busy Xmas period with lots of games.

They've loads of injuries.

They likely weren't going to get any points in Dublin anyway.

So they decided to send the espoirs over.

It's prudent use of limited resources as I've said.

Not Gloucester's fault the way the competition is structured. Blame EPCR for this stupid format.
It's 100% cope. It's true our squad is better than theres but basically throwing in the towel like you don't want the challenge is cope.

This is the minutes/matches for the starting packs for both teams after a round 1 before the changes were made.

Most of them aren't test players and their regular season is now only 2 games longer than ours. There was a time I'd have had some sympathy for their view but it's just boring now.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles