Heineken Champions Cup - Leinster V Gloucester Fri, 16 Dec 2022, 20:00

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Heineken Champions Cup - Leinster V Gloucester Fri, 16 Dec 2022, 20:00

Post by RoboProp »

Word is that Sexton and Furlong are back to training this week with a view to playing this Friday. Would be a boon if we could have them play, even if just a half or off the bench
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Heineken Champions Cup - Leinster V Gloucester Fri, 16 Dec 2022, 20:00

Post by curates_egg »

We shouldn't really need them.
Gloucester were 5-17 down with 16 minutes to go at the weekend. Scored three tries in those 16 minutes to win it.

I hope we select more with a view to giving a chance to some squad members that have earned it (maybe Deegan and McGrath) or who we want to test at a higher level (maybe McCarthy, even Clarkson).
I wouldn't change much but one or two, to mix it up, would be good.
Last edited by curates_egg on December 15th, 2022, 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

RoboProp wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:12 pm Word is that Sexton and Furlong are back to training this week with a view to playing this Friday. Would be a boon if we could have them play, even if just a half or off the bench
thought Ross and the lads did well on saturday. give JS & TF more recovery time or yeah, on the bench.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

curates_egg wrote: December 12th, 2022, 12:31 pm We shouldn't really need them.
Gloucester were 5-17 down with 16 minutes to go at the weekend. Scored three tries in those 16 minutes to win it.

I hope we select more with a view to giving a chance to some squad members that have earned it (maybe Deegan and McGrath) or who we want to test at a higher level (maybe McCarthy, even Clarkson).
All six match winners in our pool (Pool A) picked up the maximum five points this week. We're top on points difference and staying there should be the goal as it would mean we'd play every knockout game in Dublin no matter how far we get in the tournament.

As such I'd be going full out in each of the Heineken Cup games and rotating in the league where we've built up a bit of leeway. Not that I think we couldn't change a couple of players in the starting team but I'd be selecting the strongest 23 available.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

cormac wrote: December 12th, 2022, 1:37 pm

All six match winners in our pool (Pool A) picked up the maximum five points this week. We're top on points difference and staying there should be the goal as it would mean we'd play every knockout game in Dublin no matter how far we get in the tournament.

As such I'd be going full out in each of the Heineken Cup games and rotating in the league where we've built up a bit of leeway. Not that I think we couldn't change a couple of players in the starting team but I'd be selecting the strongest 23 available.
That's fair. Although I don't think there's an argument for rewarding players like McGrath and Deegan, who really have done enough to be selected over one of the weekends.
We used to always select like that under Joe: Reddan/Boss; Heinke/Cian; Cronin/Strauss, the backrow.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

As would I. It was a really good performance from the lads at the weekend – I would like to keep that team together. Sexton and Furlong are wildcards, very difficult to know if they are going to be fit enough to play in this one. I thought that Ross Byrne and Big Mike went well, so I wouldn't be averse to giving the two returning lads bench spots.

We had a game against Northampton a couple of seasons ago [the one Harry Byrne dropped out of in the warm-up] where we scored very early and it looked like it was going to be a cake-walk, but the Saints stuck in it and it turned out to be a tough and scrappy match [match report: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/report/mat ... -saints-19 ].

We had had a really good win over Montpellier in France the previous week too, so quite a similar scenario to the forthcoming game against Gloucester. They've got a win under their belt, so I think they're going to provide solid opposition.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/positive-u ... d-furlong/

Injury update - Sexton and Furlong with a better chance of featuring this weekend. No other injuries reported from the Racing 92 match.

There were no further updates on Robbie Henshaw (wrist), Martin Moloney (knee), Ciarán Frawley (knee), Will Connors (bicep), James Tracy (neck), Charlie Ryan (knee) and Tommy O’Brien (knee).
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

No injuries arose from the Racing game. Sexton and Furlong are back running and will be assessed later this week for the game against Gloucester.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

would be great to finish top before the round of 16 but isn't the semi final venue up to EPCR now? (happy to be corrected if that is not the case)

2.8 The semi-finals will be played over one match, at a venue or venues designated by EPCR as follows:
SF 1: Winner QF 1 v Winner QF 2
SF 2: Winner QF 3 v Winner QF 4
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

A 'Johnny Tightlips' approach to injury updates as usual.

Hopefully one or both of the lads can make it, if not probably looking at same 23.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: December 12th, 2022, 2:27 pm

would be great to finish top before the round of 16 but isn't the semi final venue up to EPCR now? (happy to be corrected if that is not the case)

2.8 The semi-finals will be played over one match, at a venue or venues designated by EPCR as follows:
SF 1: Winner QF 1 v Winner QF 2
SF 2: Winner QF 3 v Winner QF 4
I'm assuming it's the same as last few years. Can't imagine they'll go to fully neutral venues for the semi-finals.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Hornet wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:11 pm https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 13837.html

Can you spot the error?
Reading the indo was a pretty big one
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Sexton today.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Hornet wrote: December 12th, 2022, 3:11 pm https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 13837.html

Can you spot the error?
Hmm 🤔 I don't see the error
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Serb wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Can you spot the error?
Hmm 🤔 I don't see the error
It originally said the game was in Le Harve
Anyone But New Zealand
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Yeah, I think you're right. We'll go with our strongest team. Things are so tight in the new format that the objective should be winning every game with a bonus point and racking up tries. Gloucester are unlikely to roll over and Racing will be coming back trying to right a wrong (and possibly needing a win to proceed). It's great to know that there are lads in pretty much every position who can step up but the reality is that although players like Ross Byrne were excellent last weekend, Sexton is a better player at this time so he starts if fit in my view.

The good news is that some of these players are asking questions of the coaches - Charlie, Bike Mike, Ross, Deegan, Baird have all been outstanding and you want the selection headaches.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Anybody know if Leinster had access to Abbotstown today? It's certainly not the weather or underfoot conditions to train in UCD.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 12th, 2022, 5:35 pm Anybody know if Leinster had access to Abbotstown today? It's certainly not the weather or underfoot conditions to train in UCD.
They were in Donnybrook by the looks of it. Handy having a 3g option in this weather.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Side I go for assuming Sexton in and Furlong not -

Porter, Sheehan, Mike, Ryan, Jenkins, Baird, VDF, Doris, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Ngatai, Ringer, JOB, Keenan
Kelleher, Healy, Clarkson, Molony, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Larmour