Heineken Cup 2022/23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Heineken Cup 2022/23

Post by suisse »

The Stormers are the ones I'd be looking at from the other side. Fully expect them to get through the next two rounds, leaving them with a semi final somewhere in Europe versus the winner of La R or Saracens.

It's a long way out but I have a sneaky suspicion it'll be Leinster v Stormers in the final of this
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Struggling to find anything but does anyone know if there's been a single citing from any of the weekends games or if EPCR report any of them?
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

jimbobjoe wrote: January 24th, 2023, 11:56 am Struggling to find anything but does anyone know if there's been a single citing from any of the weekends games or if EPCR report any of them?
https://www.epcrugby.com/2023/01/23/dis ... round-4-4/

No citing in Champions Cup, just the three red card disciplinary hearings. One citing in challenge cup
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://epcrugby.com/champions-cup/fanz ... the-round/

Try of the Round includes Tadhg Beirnes try. The footage shows Coombes forward pass in the build up.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Didn’t think Coombes pass was forward myself, looks flat to me. The TMO was basically non-existent for that game anyway. There was a high hit on Carbery which looked like it deserved a card of some sort to me, not sure if it was even reviewed.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Serb wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:36 pm Didn’t think Coombes pass was forward myself, looks flat to me. The TMO was basically non-existent for that game anyway. There was a high hit on Carbery which looked like it deserved a card of some sort to me, not sure if it was even reviewed.
Lots of frothing about that clip on social media. On the angle they showed, it looked worthy of review but it looks like a good hard tackle to my eyes. You would really need to see it from other side though (without a player in the way, and showing where the shoulder and arm hit).
You can't really judge from the lack of citings that it wasn't illegal - but Arnold is not a French player, so no need to cover it up for the six nations.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Serb wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:36 pm Didn’t think Coombes pass was forward myself, looks flat to me. The TMO was basically non-existent for that game anyway. There was a high hit on Carbery which looked like it deserved a card of some sort to me, not sure if it was even reviewed.
Definitely forward, but nevermind, they lost,so no harm done.
But the carping on about the TMO robbing them AGAIN! can be put to bed. A properly biased TMO would have called that back for a forward pass.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

blockhead wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:13 pm
But the carping on about the TMO robbing them AGAIN! can be put to bed. A properly biased TMO would have called that back for a forward pass.
I'm sorry ...... I don't want to be churlish ...... but that Racing try ..... wasn't even their best try of the match let alone a contender for try of the round. It came about from a huge stroke of luck with the deflection which caught the Leinster defence out of position. I thought their maul try which plunged through the middle was more impressive even.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:59 pm
blockhead wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:13 pm
I'm sorry ...... I don't want to be churlish ...... but that Racing try ..... wasn't even their best try of the match let alone a contender for try of the round. It came about from a huge stroke of luck with the deflection which caught the Leinster defence out of position. I thought their maul try which plunged through the middle was more impressive even.
I saw what you did there! :clap:
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

suisse wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:34 am The Stormers are the ones I'd be looking at from the other side. Fully expect them to get through the next two rounds, leaving them with a semi final somewhere in Europe versus the winner of La R or Saracens.

It's a long way out but I have a sneaky suspicion it'll be Leinster v Stormers in the final of this
I agree that Stormers will make the semi, but I think La Rochelle will beat them in the semi.

My gut feeling at the moment is that Munster will beat the Sharks in South Africa and possibly even Toulouse in France in the 1/4 final. We might have a Leinster-Munster semi-final again, in the Aviva.

A repeat of last year's Leinster-La Rochelle final is still the most likely scenario.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

My gut feeling at the moment is that Munster will beat the Sharks in South Africa and possibly even Toulouse in France in the 1/4 final. We might have a Leinster-Munster semi-final again, in the Aviva.
You'd get very long odds on that.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I hope the Sharks knock 'em out because I can also see munster turning over Toulouse in the quarters. They've had 2 gos at them, if they manage a third I think Toulouse should be worried
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

I think it'll be our old friends the Saffacens, should we make it too, in the final.

Think they've the pack to bully La Rogelle over there, and then would beat the actual Saffers, in Europe.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Degz wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:10 am I think it'll be our old friends the Saffacens, should we make it too, in the final.

Think they've the pack to bully La Rogelle over there, and then would beat the actual Saffers, in Europe.
Edinburgh beat them only last weekend and shoulda won down there too.
Edinburgh are 8th in the URC.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

blockhead wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:45 am
Degz wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:10 am I think it'll be our old friends the Saffacens, should we make it too, in the final.

Aye.

Bookies have 'em 4th favourites. I think they'll muster up a performance down there on the back of being written off, but I'd still fancy us against them, home advantage especially.

Of course, it's all so dependent on post 6N injuries and confidence.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

No way would I bet on Munster beating the Sharks in Durban.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

What a great turn of events from the point of view of IRFU/provincial finances. Leinster v Ulster will probably be close to a sell out in the Aviva with the prospect of several other big games possibly big enough to use the Aviva, culminating in a final in the Aviva (with a good chance there will be an Irish team there to contest it). Its bound to help the finances all round. Shame that connacht didn't secure home advantage in the challenge cup- they really should have and it would have been the icing on the cake.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

suisse wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:34 am The Stormers are the ones I'd be looking at from the other side. Fully expect them to get through the next two rounds, leaving them with a semi final somewhere in Europe versus the winner of La R or Saracens.

+1
The Stormers and Bulls have both looked like teams who understand how to win trophies. If they meet La Roghelle, I believe LAR will lack the experience of playing SA teams and notwithstanding the experience of ROG & Ryan, they will underestimate the quality and rugby nous in the Stormers locker.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Just a thought - who would you prefer to play in the round of 16 - Ospreys or Montpellier?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote: January 25th, 2023, 6:26 pm

Just a thought - who would you prefer to play in the round of 16 - Ospreys or Montpellier?
Almost certainly Ospreys because we've seen what they have and although lacking Furlong & Jenkins, found a way to overcome them.

Montpellier didn't win the Top 14 by accident last season and the further they go in any competition the more dangerous they will be.