RDS redevelopment

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Re: RDS redevelopment

Post by Ray Donovan »

It’ll be a stadium upgrade in name but really it’ll be a 1/4 stadium upgrade.

Anglesea Stand will be replaced. Grandstand will remain and uncovered stands will remain. And they’ll remain Uncovered unfortunately.

And that will be €50million please and thank you.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Ray Donovan wrote: February 28th, 2023, 9:49 pm It’ll be a stadium upgrade in name but really it’ll be a 1/4 stadium upgrade.

Anglesea Stand will be replaced. Grandstand will remain and uncovered stands will remain. And they’ll remain Uncovered unfortunately.

You sure? That doesn't sound great for 50 million quid :shock:
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Expected that the grandstand wouldn’t be touched, but it’ll be shocking if the north and south stands don’t get cover for that amount of money.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Serb wrote: February 28th, 2023, 10:21 pm Expected that the grandstand wouldn’t be touched, but it’ll be shocking if the north and south stands don’t get cover for that amount of money.
It would be really expensive to put in cover that had to be removable for the horsehow.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

:|
Serb wrote: November 11th, 2022, 10:47 pm
deco wrote:...or just pay the very reasonable subscription for what's a decent newspaper.
Is it not €3 a week? €156 a year for what they offer is far from reasonable, it’s an absolute rip off imo. More expensive than Netflix, Spotify, URC TV etc
Holy god is it that much :shock:

I think I get the new york times AND the Guardian for less than that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ray Donovan wrote: February 28th, 2023, 9:49 pm It’ll be a stadium upgrade in name but really it’ll be a 1/4 stadium upgrade.

That was always the plans from the beginning though.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/winners-of ... announced/

It's a big price tag, but construction inflation has obviously played into the cost as well.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: March 1st, 2023, 9:27 am

It's a big price tag, but construction inflation has obviously played into the cost as well.
Fair enough but is the reality of that then that the majority of the fans are not going to benefit (much) from the upgrade, apart from having a new stand to look at?
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 1st, 2023, 9:44 am

Fair enough but is the reality of that then that the majority of the fans are not going to benefit (much) from the upgrade, apart from having a new stand to look at?
The Grandstand is fine. The Anglesea is dreadful - so changing that is a major benefit (and it includes some hospitality I believe) and the terrace probably gets less restricted views. The North and South are temporary stands so don't see how they can be covered - maybe the South could be adjusted to become permanent but would probably have to be further back - which wouldn't be popular I suspect. So I don't get what people are expecting
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Aka GOUGING
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Redev is really important for the club. It’ll enhance corporate earnings potential and improve the match day experience for those in the Anglesea.
It’s highly unlikely, but I really think they should add a Gloucester style terrace and boxes at the North end. This should:
- better utilize the land (steeper foundations)
- not impact on horse show
- maintain capacity (through standing)
- shelter those in the terrace
- increase overall revenue

In really excited about the redev and hope it shows vision and ambition.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

I remember an old proposal where the redevelopment was all 4 sides. But not just rectangles like Ravenhill, the 4 corners were built up for boxes, studios, etc. But these provided the support for a single oval roof over everybody. The North and south stand could be removed and the roof would still be there above the horses.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 1st, 2023, 9:44 am

But that's always been the plan - redevelop the Anglesea stand.

The capacity of the ground will increase and there'll be proper corporate and other facilities.

The plans have never been to roof the north/south stands since they need to be moved/dismantled for the Horse Show iirc.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blue Man wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:56 pm Redev is really important for the club. It’ll enhance corporate earnings potential and improve the match day experience for those in the Anglesea.
It’s highly unlikely, but I really think they should add a Gloucester style terrace and boxes at the North end. This should:
- better utilize the land (steeper foundations)
- not impact on horse show
- maintain capacity (through standing)
- shelter those in the terrace
- increase overall revenue

In really excited about the redev and hope it shows vision and ambition.
Why would it not impact the Horse Show? Don't both North & South stands need to be moved for it?
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Honestly I think this whole redevelopment is Leinster's largest fail in the past decade. If you look at what both Munster and Ulster got for €40 million and €20 million respectively, versus what we're likely going to end up with for probably the cost of both the other provinces combined, it's poor. We had the plans and the money a decade ago, we just dragged our heels. I wonder if there were questions around the RDS being our long term home in the background that made the management hesitate to commit?

All the same, it will still be an excellent change to nuke the Anglesea and replace it with a modern day stand, and add a bit of corporate hospitality too. It's just a shame the north and south stands can't get some kind of upgrade.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Serb wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm Honestly I think this whole redevelopment is Leinster's largest fail in the past decade. If you look at what both Munster and Ulster got for €40 million and €20 million respectively, versus what we're likely going to end up with for probably the cost of both the other provinces combined, it's poor. We had the plans and the money a decade ago, we just dragged our heels. I wonder if there were questions around the RDS being our long term home in the background that made the management hesitate to commit?

All the same, it will still be an excellent change to nuke the Anglesea and replace it with a modern day stand, and add a bit of corporate hospitality too. It's just a shame the north and south stands can't get some kind of upgrade.
Leinster were 1 moving part of a system that needed the RDS, Leinster, IRFU and government to come together, along probably with hosting the RWC.

The government were dealing with the bank bailout, the IRFU were bailing out Munster, commercial funding took a dive with the economy and the English and French clubs were off destroying the Heineken Cup, the top-end driver of matchday revenue. Switching matches to Aviva both created an alternative route to income generation and lowered the potential of RDS development.

Construction inflation means that we probably would have been better off going alone without government funding, if necessary. But that still would have needed the RDS to be able to fund it. And it was really unlikely given the mood 10 years ago.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Serb wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm Honestly I think this whole redevelopment is Leinster's largest fail in the past decade. If you look at what both Munster and Ulster got for €40 million and €20 million respectively, versus what we're likely going to end up with for probably the cost of both the other provinces combined, it's poor. We had the plans and the money a decade ago, we just dragged our heels. I wonder if there were questions around the RDS being our long term home in the background that made the management hesitate to commit?

Thomson’s was a mistake and hamstrung Munster for the better part of a decade they’d have been fooked without the generosity of the IRFU. They fill it maybe 3/4 times a year.

We get good value out of the RDS as is, only really full it maybe twice a year and can move fixtures to the Aviva if the need gets much bigger. Plus the way investments are weighted Covid would have blown up the business plan if we’d actually gotten it completed in 18-20.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Serb wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm If you look at what both Munster... got for €40 million
Ah come on now. Whatever about Ravenhill (and that was a unique development that couldn't happen anywhere else in these islands), the Thomond Park redevelopment was a hubristic disaster that was massively detrimental to Munster on and off the pitch. Eircom Park was a more successful project!
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

One of the key points here is that we don't need a bigger stadium.

We already struggle to fill the RDS.

We need a better stadium with proper corporate facilities.

The lack of quality corporate facilities is an enormous missed opportunity.

For obvious reasons Leinster Rugby should be one of the biggest corporate draws in the country.

If we get an extra 3-4,000 people into the stadium that's brilliant, and of course better facilities attract more fans, but it's a secondary concern.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 3:17 pm One of the key points here is that we don't need a bigger stadium.

For obvious reasons Leinster Rugby should be one of the biggest corporate draws in the country.

If we get an extra 3-4,000 people into the stadium that's brilliant, and of course better facilities attract more fans, but it's a secondary concern.
Yes. It also means that the development will either have no effect on a significant number of fans or will raise their prices.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 3:17 pm One of the key points here is that we don't need a bigger stadium.

Yeah this is where I am. And it's worth remembering it won't be ours so this is more a nice to have than must have.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles