RDS redevelopment

Post by bronxbull »

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/202 ... ge-for-4m/

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: RDS redevelopment

Post by blockhead »

bronxbull wrote: November 9th, 2022, 1:57 pm https://www.irishtimes.com/business/202 ... ge-for-4m/

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
Now we'll have God on our side!
Suitable replcement for King Johnny?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
robhall.i
Beginner

Post by robhall.i »

Any chance of the highlights for non subscribers to the times?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

+1
Last edited by blockhead on November 9th, 2022, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

robhall.i wrote: November 9th, 2022, 4:21 pm Any chance of the highlights for non subscribers to the times?
They bought the church beside the RDS. It was mostly used for parking. On an acre, €4m.

Plan is to use the land as part of the new development.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

robhall.i wrote: November 9th, 2022, 4:21 pm Any chance of the highlights for non subscribers to the times?
You can always copy the link into an incognito tab.

Basically the RDS spent 4 million to buy the church. The land around the church will be a new entrance to the stadium and the church will either be a food court for match days or a new event space.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Thought it was a retirement present for Cian Healy when I saw the headline earlier.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Off topic but you can always bypass the paywall of the Irish Times on an iPhone by setting the site to always use reader mode.

Hit the aA symbol at the top left and choose Website Settings.

In there, turn on Use Reader Automatically

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

...or just pay the very reasonable subscription for what's a decent newspaper.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
robhall.i
Beginner

Post by robhall.i »

Thanks lads.

Are there published development plans anywhere that can be viewed? Very curious how they will integrate a terrace, etc.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

robhall.i wrote: November 10th, 2022, 9:56 am Thanks lads.

Are there published development plans anywhere that can be viewed? Very curious how they will integrate a terrace, etc.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
Not sure how valid these plans are given the length of time that has elapsed. There was talk of a terrace back then but revenue from seats is obviously higher. I'd say they will revisit.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/winners-of ... announced/
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Revenue from terrace spaces is actually higher than seats - the Football Supporters Federation in the UK has done a study on this
I have Bumbleflex
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dave Cahill wrote: November 10th, 2022, 10:19 am Revenue from terrace spaces is actually higher than seats - the Football Supporters Federation in the UK has done a study on this
Because you can fit more bodies per square metre, enough to offset the price difference?
Interesting.
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dexter wrote: November 10th, 2022, 12:17 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: November 10th, 2022, 10:19 am Revenue from terrace spaces is actually higher than seats - the Football Supporters Federation in the UK has done a study on this
Because you can fit more bodies per square metre, enough to offset the price difference?
Interesting.
Probably a smaller maintenance cost too
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Interesting.
The UK Green Book guide to safety in sporting venues states that the amount of space per seated patron is the same as for 1.8 standing patrons
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Interesting.
Terrace isn't a lot cheaper than the end stands. But there is a fairly large price difference with the most expensive seats.

For the next game, Anglesea Stand tickets vary from €38-€65.

Obviously there are lots and lots of other considerations around atmosphere, other events, growing audience, fan preference, how often capacity is sold and for which events etc.

Those figures are close enough that I'd say the other factors are the dominant ones.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Also my understanding of demand in the RDS (based on the entire premise of the development), is that there's latent demand for a better experience for the high end tickets and premium options.

But the terrace is also sold out. So it makes perfect sense to preserving or even expanding an equivalent option.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Interesting.
There's a range of factors to consider. 1 how many people are on the terrace vs seating. Dave gave the figure of 1.8 per seated fan.

How often is the venue sold out. Basically it doesn't matter much if the you can fit extra people in on the terrace if there's empty seats.

How many terrace dwellers would go to the match if the terrace isn't there. Whether they are there for the terrace atmosphere or because its cheaper means that having a terrace probably contributes to ticket sales.

What effect do terrace have on concession sales is a valid point in many comparisons but doesn't really matter to us as iirc Leinster doesn't get any concession sales at the rds.

Generally a terrace is a better generator of revenue than seats but not always.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Edited double post