RDS redevelopment

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: RDS redevelopment

Post by jezzer »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 2:45 pm
Serb wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 1:54 pm If you look at what both Munster... got for €40 million
Ah come on now. Whatever about Ravenhill (and that was a unique development that couldn't happen anywhere else in these islands), the Thomond Park redevelopment was a hubristic disaster that was massively detrimental to Munster on and off the pitch. Eircom Park was a more successful project!

All true and financed by central contracts!

But they got more value for money than we'll get if our "lipstick on a horse" job costs 50m.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

The only mistake Munster made was putting the stadium in Limerick. Objectively, it’s a class stadium, I’d love if Leinster had something similar.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Serb wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 10:09 pm The only mistake Munster made was putting the stadium in Limerick. Objectively, it’s a class stadium, I’d love if Leinster had something similar.
No, the mistakes Munster made were not selling the naming rights - meaning a revenue-neutral development started off 15 million euro in debt, making the stadium too big - Munster Rugby only wanted a 22k stadium but the Munster Branch insisted on 26k, and completely f%~king over the MRSC who had been promised that all their Associate Memberships could upgrade to Full Memberships (and were tasked with driving Associate Membership sales by Munster Rugby with that in mind) when the stadium opened, a promise that was reneged upon.

Putting it in Limerick was the right decision. Cork is not a rugby city, there has never been any official support for Munster Rugby in Cork. Even minor upgrades to Musgrave Park have been problematical due to the attitude of the City Council (they wouldn't even let Fire Stations fly Munster flags the week after the 2006 HEC victory). Limerick is a rugby town, it has better transport links than Cork and is closer to Dublin than Cork.

The stadium itself is grand, its a standard cookie cutter stadium, I'd say if you dropped a Munster supporter blindfolded into any of a number of the newer rugby league or EFL stadiums they'd be able to find the toilets. They're fine stadia, characterless, but fine.
I have Bumbleflex
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

wixfjord wrote: March 1st, 2023, 10:37 pm
Blue Man wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:56 pm Redev is really important for the club. It’ll enhance corporate earnings potential and improve the match day experience for those in the Anglesea.
It’s highly unlikely, but I really think they should add a Gloucester style terrace and boxes at the North end. This should:
- better utilize the land (steeper foundations)
- not impact on horse show
- maintain capacity (through standing)
- shelter those in the terrace
- increase overall revenue

In really excited about the redev and hope it shows vision and ambition.
Why would it not impact the Horse Show? Don't both North & South stands need to be moved for it?
I really hope that Leinster rugby and the RDS aren’t restricted by a complete lack of vision or creativity.

There is sufficient space to build a ‘vertical’ north stand with terrace and boxes that will reduce the depth of the north stand thus removing the requirement to change it for the horseshow, and it will add to the spectacle of the event and also increase corporate options.

Sadly, there is a complete lack of vision or ambition amongst some people.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Blue Man wrote:
Blue Man wrote: March 1st, 2023, 8:56 pm Redev is really important for the club. It’ll enhance corporate earnings potential and improve the match day experience for those in the Anglesea.
It’s highly unlikely, but I really think they should add a Gloucester style terrace and boxes at the North end. This should:

Why would it not impact the Horse Show? Don't both North & South stands need to be moved for it?
I really hope that Leinster rugby and the RDS aren’t restricted by a complete lack of vision or creativity.

There is sufficient space to build a ‘vertical’ north stand with terrace and boxes that will reduce the depth of the north stand thus removing the requirement to change it for the horseshow, and it will add to the spectacle of the event and also increase corporate options.

If you move it back about 25m... So it would have to be very "thin"

The entire space of the north stand and the space behind it is used for the horses. What you're suggesting would have to fit between the fence behind the north stand and the road. That's about 15m at best

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If you move it back 25m, you probably want to move the pitch too and the other stands.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This is an RDS Stadium. Leinster are Tenants. Decisions will be made by RDS,
they will consult with the tenants but they will make the decisions.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:45 am This is an RDS Stadium. Leinster are Tenants. Decisions will be made by RDS,
they will consult with the tenants but they will make the decisions.
Leinster is the RDS’s biggest client, revenue generator and are proposing a capital investment project that is required for the RDS (Anglesea can’t be far off failing a safety test). The investment will enhance the infrastructure of the RDS, benefitting the RDS massively.
Its naive to represent this as a master-servant scenario
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

The Doc wrote: March 4th, 2023, 1:19 am
Blue Man wrote:

If you move it back about 25m... So it would have to be very "thin"

The entire space of the north stand and the space behind it is used for the horses. What you're suggesting would have to fit between the fence behind the north stand and the road. That's about 15m at best

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
Surely we could put in some proper spec permanent facilities at the North and South ends which wouldn't affect the horses and could maybe be expanded for the rugby season to have seats close to the pitch like they are today?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Blue Man wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 11:26 pm

They are going to build what they have planning permission for ,i.e. the works described below:
https://planning.agileapplications.ie/d ... ils/117536
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

hugonaut wrote:They are going to build what they have planning permission for ,i.e. the works described below:
Hasn’t that planning decision expired? I thought part of it was that we would have to go again with the planning application
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Serb wrote: March 4th, 2023, 11:29 pm
hugonaut wrote:They are going to build what they have planning permission for ,i.e. the works described below:
Hasn’t that planning decision expired? I thought part of it was that we would have to go again with the planning application
Yes, it expired after 5 years so needs to be resubmitted. I guess they will go for the same plan as before so little or no changes to the north or south ends.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

nc6000 wrote: March 5th, 2023, 12:07 am
Serb wrote: March 4th, 2023, 11:29 pm
Yes, it expired after 5 years so needs to be resubmitted. I guess they will go for the same plan as before so little or no changes to the north or south ends.
It was re-submitted in Aug 2018: https://planning.agileapplications.ie/d ... ils/127398 [Planning Ref No 3144/18].
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Ah nice one. Looks like we have six months until that one expires too
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Good news that the permission hasn't expired, I thought we were back at square one and could expect new objections and further delays.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

hugonaut wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:26 pm
Blue Man wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 11:26 pm

They are going to build what they have planning permission for ,i.e. the works described below:

Thanks, that’s informative in terms of the objectives.
I think they have to resubmit so hope they expand the scope although it’s unlikely
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

When’s the start date? Will it be this summer possibly?
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I think the previous plan was to start after the horseshow so maybe work will start this year, unless the news is we plan to start in 2024.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Planning permission application has gone in

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/202 ... sea-stand/
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: June 9th, 2023, 6:00 pm Planning permission application has gone in

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/202 ... sea-stand/
Great stuff! Life goes on!! Upwards and onwards!!!