Who is next at Loosehead Prop?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Who is next at Loosehead Prop?

Post by mildlyinterested »

Cian Healy is clearly winding down and Andrew Porter is obviously first choice for the foreseeable future, but who is the next loosehead prop to keep an eye on coming through the leinster system?

Michael Milne(23/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD) - 6'0, 115kg

A highly decorated underage prop, Milne missed most of the last season due to injury, he travelled with the emerging ireland side where his weakness in the scrum was exposed, can he improve this area enough to become a viable option as his work around the field and power in contact is potentially elite for a loosehead prop.

Marcus Hanan(22/Clane RFC/Terenure) - 6'0, 111kg

A late entrant to the leinster academy after his under-20 season was cut short, he missed most of last season with injury. Does a lot of things well but isn't really elite at any aspect of the position, it will be interesting how he goes if he gets called upon this season, his final in the academy.

Jack Boyle(20/St. Michaels/UCD) - 6'1, 108kg

An underage star since he first appeared for Leinster u18 as a 16 year old, the Michaels man has long been talked about as a future international, currently injured, the powerful prop will face questions about his size at the highest level. I'd be surprised if he didnt make his leinster debut this season.
--
George Hadden(U20/Gorey RFC/Clontarf)

A former backrow, whose move to prop quickly worked out for him, playing for leinster u18 clubs as a 16 year year old. Was called into Ireland u20 squad over the summer and impressed in the scrum. He will be hoping to cement his starting place in this seasons irish under-20 side and earn an academy contract.

Paddy McCarthy(U20/Blackrock/DUFC)

An incredibly impressive season at tighthead last season for Blackrock, has been followed up with a move to loosehead for Trinity and some very impressive performances in the AIL already. He will likely play tighthead for this season irish under-20's, but will he stick at tighthead or move to loosehead at pro level?
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 8th, 2023, 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
naraic
Mullet

Re: Whose next at Loosehead Prop?

Post by naraic »

Just adding the ages of the 3 senior props in the squad.

Cian Healy 35
Ed Byrne 29
Andrew Porter 26
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Is it a trick question?
macboomba
Knowledgeable

Post by macboomba »

Cheers Mildly. I'm always interested to read your insights into the age grade players.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

macboomba wrote: October 26th, 2022, 10:00 pm Cheers Mildly. I'm always interested to read your insights into the age grade players.
As am I! Cheers, MI!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Milne will probably involve a few years of occasional struggles, much like Dave Kilcoyne did.

Boyle is an exciting prospect. Interesting to see where McCarthy ends up. At this stage I think I'd prefer a tighthead but if he's a loose head he's a loose head.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

That opening post is super. However, it doesn't answer the question and doesn't lead me to believe we necessarily have an answer.

We are very lucky that the Porter switch has turned out so well. He really is going from strength to strength and I think merits the moniker of world class. Hopefully, that bodes well for our capacity to bring through other talents.
Is Boyle really too small? I thought he was the great white hope?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

curates_egg wrote: October 27th, 2022, 8:27 am That opening post is super. However, it doesn't answer the question and doesn't lead me to believe we necessarily have an answer.

We are very lucky that the Porter switch has turned out so well. He really is going from strength to strength and I think merits the moniker of world class. Hopefully, that bodes well for our capacity to bring through other talents.
Is Boyle really too small? I thought he was the great white hope?
Boyle is the great white hope, he is the most likely correct answer to the question, but I wouldn't say it's a certainty either.

On his size, it all depends on how he matures physically and if he can retain his explosive power while putting on some kgs, that will be key for him to be a top level international. However if McCarthy focused on loosehead, well I think he could progress quite quickly given his size/power/athleticism which hasn't been seen since Porter.
Last edited by mildlyinterested on October 27th, 2022, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The question has taken on importance with Dooley leaving.

Short term it's clearly better for him. But it also leaves him out of a position to benefit as Healy ages out. Overall I think it was the right move.

On the question of size I think it's worth looking at how Byrne manages and is fairly dynamic but the power of Porter has made a big difference. Loosehead is a position that has a premium on mobility compared to tighthead but it's also somewhere where dominantly powerful players can turn games.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Yeah Leinster and Ireland will be looking for the combination of size, mobility, power and explosiveness at loosehead like Healy had and Porter has, along with an ability to not be a liability in the scrum.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

To an extent you take what you can get.

If there's a converted tighthead who can splinter scrums from loosehead then you learn to love that. And add dynamism elsewhere if you need it.

If you're a moneybags who can sign a unicorn from anywhere in the world then you chase that. As we see with the freak giant locks. We're rich enough that we can do that, but less often and usually in the lower premium positions. See Gibson-Park.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster loosehead going forward:

Cian Healy(35/Belvedere/Clontarf) - signed contract in 2022
Ed Byrne(30/Clongowes/UCD) - signed contract in 2022
Andrew Porter(27/St. Andrews/UCD) - central contract until 2025
Michael Milne(24/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD) - signed contract in 2022
--
Marcus Hanan(23/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere)
Jack Boyle(21/St. Michaels/UCD)
George Hadden(20/Gorey RFC/Clontarf)
--
Tom O'Riordan(U20/Blackrock)
Grant Palmer(U20/Wexford RFC)
Ben Howard(U20/St. Michaels)

*age as of next season
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 7th, 2023, 10:54 am Leinster loosehead going forward:

Cian Healy(35/Belvedere/Clontarf) - signed contract in 2022
Ed Byrne(30/Clongowes/UCD) - signed contract in 2022
Andrew Porter(27/St. Andrews/UCD) - central contract until 2025
Michael Milne(24/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD) - signed contract in 2022
--
Marcus Hanan(23/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere)
Jack Boyle(21/St. Michaels/UCD)
George Hadden(20/Gorey RFC/Clontarf)
--
Tom O'Riordan(U20/Blackrock)
Grant Palmer(U20/Wexford RFC)
Ben Howard(U20/St. Michaels)

*age as of next season
Given that next season includes the RWC Byrne and Milne should get good game time and hopefully Boyle will develop.
Porter is obviously a quality player but we’re very reliant on him and Cian is very much entering the final furlong
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Blue Man wrote: March 7th, 2023, 9:55 pm Cian is very much entering the final furlong
I see what you did there....
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Who is next at Loosehead Prop?

Post by wixfjord »

Really high hopes for Milne after his recent performances.

His natural size and carrying ability makes me think he could make a jump beyond Byrne and Healy next season.

He reminds me a bit of Joe McCarthy - raw but physically ready and in need of some coaching to make him a potential test level forward.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Yeah he certainly looks like he belongs at this level. If he can improve his scrummaging he'll be challenging Porter soon enough.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Or Mill-Neh as Hugh Cahill recently called him...
Dont Panic!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Logorrhea wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:42 am Yeah he certainly looks like he belongs at this level. If he can improve his scrummaging he'll be challenging Porter soon enough.
That's a hell of a leap given that Porter, selected for the Lions as a TH, is considered a world-class LH for his scrummaging and all round play.

Given his scrummagig at the start of this season was exposed in Souith Africa, surely it is more credible to hope that Milne could become a credible understudy to Porter?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Porter isnt considered a world class scrummaging loosehead.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Logorrhea wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:42 am Yeah he certainly looks like he belongs at this level. If he can improve his scrummaging he'll be challenging Porter soon enough.
Move Porter back to tighthead so...