Leinster v Sharks Sat 8th Oct 17.05pm RTE/Premier Sports

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Leinster v Sharks Sat 8th Oct 17.05pm RTE/Premier Sports

Post by cormac »

Usual injury update.

Sounds like a week too soon for Kelleher, Kearney and Doris.

RTP picked up a hamstring injury in training last week.

No other update.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-iss ... -update-2/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Sharks Sat 8th Oct 17.05pm RTE/Premier Sports

Post by wixfjord »

JGP's injury is a bit of a worry, certainly for Ireland.

Hopefully Kelleher is available as probably don't want Dan starting after doing 80 at the weekend.

No mention of Furlong either. I wonder what's the story there?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

wixfjord wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:54 pm JGP's injury is a bit of a worry, certainly for Ireland.

Hopefully Kelleher is available as probably don't want Dan starting after doing 80 at the weekend.

No mention of Furlong either. I wonder what's the story there?
Furlong is in the training photos:

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2346543/
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Furlong has been playing 18 months of non stop rugby since the Lions tour, I'd say hes being managed till the internationals
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Up Wexford wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 4:40 pm Furlong has been playing 18 months of non stop rugby since the Lions tour, I'd say hes being managed till the internationals
I agree. Lions tour in summer 2017, tour to Australia in summer 2018, probably the worst rugby of his career in RWC19.

He has done the same pattern with a Lions tour in summer 2021 and a tour to NZ in 2022 ... if he needs an additional month away from competitive rugby that gives him a bigger chance of performing close to his best in RWC23, so be it. He's a centrally contracted player.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That's great to see Tadhg back.

Possible team for the weekend then:

Byrne, Sheehan, Furlong, Ryan, Jenkins, Baird, Connors, Conan, Luke, Sexton, JOB, Ngatai, Ringer, Larmour, MOR

McKee, Healy, Mike, Moloney, Rhys, Foley/McCarthy, Ross/Harry, Russell

Reckon we might rotate the centres over next two weeks and give Robbie a return to Connacht.

The starting LH will be interesting to see. A few hints Ed Byrne might have gotten ahead of Healy in that department.

I'd like to see how Jenkins/Ryan handle a SA pack and to keep Baird at 6 to see how he gets on too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

On form, it's hard to see how Ryan or O'Reilly get near a team to face Sharks. Henshaw to 13, Jimmy O'Brien to 15 and Ringer on the wing. Molony into the row with Jenkins and Ryan off the bench. Porter to start and remember what Sharks scrum did to us last season.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:47 pm On form, it's hard to see how Ryan or O'Reilly get near a team to face Sharks. Henshaw to 13, Jimmy O'Brien to 15 and Ringer on the wing. Molony into the row with Jenkins and Ryan off the bench. Porter to start and remember what Sharks scrum did to us last season.
I'm not picking a team on form, I'm picking what I think the team we're likely to see is based on injuries and minutes played so far given the games that are coming up.

Ringrose on the wing isn't a selection we're likely to see in any case.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

cormac wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 2:51 pm Usual injury update.

Sounds like a week too soon for Kelleher, Kearney and Doris.

RTP picked up a hamstring injury in training last week.

No other update.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/cullen-iss ... -update-2/
It doesn't say what type of hammy injury it is, nothing too severe I hope. Leinster and Ireland are a vastly superior team when Bushmills Linkin Park is playing to the best of his abilities.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Up Wexford wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 4:40 pm Furlong has been playing 18 months of non stop rugby since the Lions tour, I'd say hes being managed till the internationals
And he's often flogged for 65+mins per game when the avg prop usually does 50-55.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:47 pm On form, it's hard to see how Ryan or O'Reilly get near a team to face Sharks. Henshaw to 13, Jimmy O'Brien to 15 and Ringer on the wing. Molony into the row with Jenkins and Ryan off the bench. Porter to start and remember what Sharks scrum did to us last season.
Agree about O’Reilly but Ryan is only beginning his season and has to get a start at lock. I’m not sure if you saw Ireland’s tour of New Zealand in the summer but Ryan was quite good So I don’t understand why you think he shouldn’t be near the side.
I think it makes sense to manage Furlong carefully and would like Abdaladze to get game time against a strong front row to see how he gets on. Similarly, I’d like Ed Byrne to get meaningful game time against a South African side. He has been good in the loose and open play since the second half of last season but needs to step up in the scrum.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Blue Man wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 9:27 pm
Agree about O’Reilly but Ryan is only beginning his season and has to get a start at lock. I’m not sure if you saw Ireland’s tour of New Zealand in the summer but Ryan was quite good So I don’t understand why you think he shouldn’t be near the side.
I think it makes sense to manage Furlong carefully and would like Abdaladze to get game time against a strong front row to see how he gets on. Similarly, I’d like Ed Byrne to get meaningful game time against a South African side. He has been good in the loose and open play since the second half of last season but needs to step up in the scrum.
Ryan was more than “quite good”. He had one excellent game, one very good game and one good one. Beirne was very quiet in test one but then excellent in the final two, and the clickbait Irish sports media were on POM overdrive, so people seemed not to have noticed how good Ryan was.

I’m really looking forward to seeing him set free on the loose by Jenkins.

I think Zakh should have started one of the first three games. Probably Treviso. But I’m not sure this is the right game for him.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

100% Curate's! The JR we saw in NZ was back to his 2018 form, particularly in the third Test. So he dropped a slippy ball on a rainsoaked night in Ravers within seconds of coming off the bench in his first run out of the season. Big deal in Dodge.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Big game. SA teams are trying to establish themselves as dominant. They have a chance to set an early marker and the Sharks only get to play us once a year. They've started well and know to expect a strong selection.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:54 pm
I'm not picking a team on form, I'm picking what I think the team we're likely to see is based on injuries and minutes played so far given the games that are coming up.

I'm with RTB, I would move lads around a little so we don't play have to play O'Reilly. I'm not a fan at all.

I thought that Charlie Ngatai went in at fullback for us last week with Jimmy switching to the wing when DK went off – I'd do that again. Ngatai has played some rugby before at fullback, both for Lyon and the Chiefs ... not much, but some. I'd much rather have him than O'Reilly. He's a tough, clever, physical and experienced player.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Although it was only last April when "our kids" played Sharks in Durban, it's extraordinary to recall that in that 28-23 defeat, we fielded the following 23:

Match-day Squad v Sharks - 23rd April 2022, Durban

15. Chris Cosgrove
14. Tommy O'Brien
13. Jamie Osborne
12. Ciaran Frawley
11. Rory O'Loughlin
10. Harry Byrne
9. Nick McCarthy

1. Andrew Porter
2. John McKee
3. Tom Clarkson
4. Brian Deeny
5. Jack Dunne
6. Rhys Ruddock
7. Scott Penney
8. Max Deegan

16. Lee Barron
17. Peter Dooley
18. Michael Alaaloata
19. Josh Murphy
20. Alex Soroka
21. Cormac Foley
22. David Hawkshaw
23. Martin Moloney

When Leocaster sit down to select the team for Saturday's fixture against the Sharks, it is almost unconsciousable that fourteen (14) of those twenty-three will not be available to them:

Injured
Tommy O'Brien, Ciaran Frawley, Harry Byrne
Departed elsewhere
Rory O'Loughlin (Exeter), Jack Dunne (Exeter), Peter Dooley, Josh Murphy, David Hawkshaw, (all Connacht)
Absent on Irish Tour
Jamie Osborne, Tom Clarkson, Brian Deeny, Scott Penney, Max Deegan and Alex Soroka

That's a lot of gaps to fill, or rather that's a huge uplift in experience that they'll bring to the table this weekend.

When we see the team, it will be interesting to contrast the cumulative caps we'll muster in this week's 23-man Squad.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote: October 4th, 2022, 8:34 am
wixfjord wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 7:54 pm

I'm with RTB, I would move lads around a little so we don't play have to play O'Reilly. I'm not a fan at all.

I thought that Charlie Ngatai went in at fullback for us last week with Jimmy switching to the wing when DK went off – I'd do that again. Ngatai has played some rugby before at fullback, both for Lyon and the Chiefs ... not much, but some. I'd much rather have him than O'Reilly. He's a tough, clever, physical and experienced player.
Surprised at the harshness of that comment towards a young fullback Hugo, particularly MOR who has had a few good flashes in blue and had a poor show (along with a few others) in Zebre.

I think MOR has lots of potential. Very raw still but certainly worth persisting with given our lack of high potential outside backs.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well we did enough moaning when they were doing nothing, so credit were it's due. Fair play to LR for stepping it up another notch!

Leinster Rugby Family Day This Saturday

After a winning start in the BKT URC, Leinster Rugby welcome the Cell C Sharks this Saturday 8 October at 5.05pm to the RDS.

This weekends match day will have loads of activities and activations for family and friends. Gates will open from 3pm, for more details ahead of Saturday see below.

Bank of Ireland - Family Fun Zone

First class bouncing castle, mix of fun inflatable games such as rugby toss and rugby velcro darts
The catch challenge
Leinster Rugby skills training
Face painting, candy floss and popcorn in association with Novaerus by McGreals

Laighin Den Fanzone

3pm - Fanzone opens
4.30pm - Player Q&A (MC OLSC member)
4.50pm - Fanzone closes
5.05pm - Match kick off

Final Whistle - Fanzone opens with live music (Pop Gods)

7.30pm - Player Q&A (senior coach and player of the match)

Season Ticket Holder Pack Collection
Collection open pre game from 3pm and closes 4.50pm sharp and re-opens post game at the final whistle.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

LeinsterLeader wrote: October 4th, 2022, 4:17 pm Well we did enough moaning when they were doing nothing, so credit were it's due. Fair play to LR for stepping it up another notch!

Leinster Rugby Family Day This Saturday

After a winning start in the BKT URC, Leinster Rugby welcome the Cell C Sharks this Saturday 8 October at 5.05pm to the RDS.

This weekends match day will have loads of activities and activations for family and friends. Gates will open from 3pm, for more details ahead of Saturday see below.

Bank of Ireland - Family Fun Zone

First class bouncing castle, mix of fun inflatable games such as rugby toss and rugby velcro darts
The catch challenge
Leinster Rugby skills training
Face painting, candy floss and popcorn in association with Novaerus by McGreals

Laighin Den Fanzone

3pm - Fanzone opens
4.30pm - Player Q&A (MC OLSC member)
4.50pm - Fanzone closes
5.05pm - Match kick off

Final Whistle - Fanzone opens with live music (Pop Gods)

7.30pm - Player Q&A (senior coach and player of the match)

Season Ticket Holder Pack Collection
Collection open pre game from 3pm and closes 4.50pm sharp and re-opens post game at the final whistle.
Now they just need to up their real ale/craft beer game and bring in the 2-pinter jugs - the only thing the English Premiership clubs get right!
Anyone But New Zealand
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I’d love to see Cormac Foley get games time and push on this year, I think he’s a much better player than Nick Mac and would like to see him ahead of Luke by the end of the season.

I’m terms of the other area where we lack depth, the three quarters, Max O’R and Rob Russell are not the answer.
Cosgrave, King and Andrew Smith all look like better athletes and are more likely to make the grade IMHO.