Ulster v Leinster Fri 7.35 BBC NI & RTE

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster v Leinster Fri 7.35 BBC NI & RTE

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: September 29th, 2022, 12:11 pm Interesting that betting has gone from Leinster +1 to Leinster -3 based on team sheets.

Not sure what different teams the bookies had assumed would be starting?!
Don't mind them feckers! They had us to beat the bulls by 30+ points :lol:
HammerTime
Beginner

Post by HammerTime »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 29th, 2022, 12:02 pm
HammerTime wrote: September 29th, 2022, 11:47 am Problem for us (Ulster) is it is to lash it down which with that Leinster pack will be a big advantage to you. The likes of stockdale, Lowry and sexton might rarely see the ball.
Stop getting your excuses in early, HammerTime .......... that's our thing :D

Absolutely! Even more worried now seeing the teams. Our bench is pitiful!!! Must be the strongest Leinster team seen in Belfast in decades! :shock:
pip14
Learner

Post by pip14 »

As an Ulster fan i’m worried, very worried. The bench is muck

A team missing Henderson, Murphy, Vermulen, Doak, Hume, Balacoune and Addison :cry:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Appreciate this was a stretch for him to have any involvement once Sexton was in the mix and given he hasn't played yet, but it is now over 4 months since Harry started a match (against Munster in May) and almost four months since he came on for 24 mins against Glasgow in the URC.

If he is brought to Connacht it will be almost 5 months since he played.

He is not listed as an injured player. Meanwhile Leinster are wedded to giving minutes to Ross, who consistently fails to inspire, and the inspirational Irish Captain in his likely last season of rugby.

I don't get Ross. He needs the full XV around him if he is be worth his place and that is equivalent to being a useful passenger.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote: September 29th, 2022, 2:44 pm Appreciate this was a stretch for him to have any involvement once Sexton was in the mix and given he hasn't played yet, but it is now over 4 months since Harry started a match (against Munster in May) and almost four months since he came on for 24 mins against Glasgow in the URC.

He is not listed as an injured player. Meanwhile Leinster are wedded to giving minutes to Ross, who consistently fails to inspire, and the inspirational Irish Captain in his likely last season of rugby.

I don't get Ross. He needs the full XV around him if he is be worth his place and that is equivalent to being a useful passenger.
given the amount of injuries he picked up last season and he finished the season injured, it's safe to say they are giving him a prolonged preseason to build up his body and fitness levels.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Well it's confirmed now at least so Leo can stop pretending he doesn't know anything. Stuart Lancaster is leaving at the end of the season.

When Stuart heads off to Paris, he'll have completed his seventh season at Leinster which is a long stint in any coaching job. He's obviously very popular within the squad, seems like a decent man and there's no doubt he's made a hugely positive impact in his time in Leinster. However in recent years there's been a sense of deja vu with how Leinster have performed in comparison to Lancaster's England teams. They play really nice, pretty rugby and score loads of tries, but when it comes to the crunch matches they can't get over the line. Of course there was one European triumph back in 2018 under his watch but even that game was a dour kicking battle that Leinster mercifully came out of the winner.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8 wrote: September 29th, 2022, 2:44 pm Appreciate this was a stretch for him to have any involvement once Sexton was in the mix and given he hasn't played yet, but it is now over 4 months since Harry started a match (against Munster in May) and almost four months since he came on for 24 mins against Glasgow in the URC.

Me worried too... :?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

They had Prendergast togged out with Vakk and RUddock(IIRC) warming up last wekend too. It seems they wanted to give Healy his 250th cap in the RDS.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Harry needs to achieve what Ross has in order to get ahead of him. Think of Ross' performances against Exeter away, Montpellier away, Ulster QF etc. Why Ross is still with us when he would walk into most sides in Europe and he wouldn't have to listen to fans like you is beyond me.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Big Mike starting all our games. There are explanations for why he has started each of the first three games but, at some point, he may not be able to start all league games for us, and it would be good to give the backup(s) a chance also before then.
At least Vakh is on the bench this week. I’d like to see what he can do against O’Sullivan.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

What may be more interesting is the run of games Harry has had. Has he even made the squad for 3 games in a row, either starting or on the bench, since he left the academy?
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

outcast eddie wrote: September 30th, 2022, 7:56 am

What may be more interesting is the run of games Harry has had. Has he even made the squad for 3 games in a row, either starting or on the bench, since he left the academy?
We have two 10's who have serious durability issues. I would love us to sign a Gopperth type 10/12 for next season, one who you'd trust in the big games but can get 15/20 games a season out of.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote: September 30th, 2022, 9:56 am

We have two 10's who have serious durability issues. I would love us to sign a Gopperth type 10/12 for next season, one who you'd trust in the big games but can get 15/20 games a season out of.
Madigan...
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

He managed three appearances in consecutive weeks at the start of 19/20 while still in the academy, managing 12, 24, and 17 minutes off the bench respectively.

After graduating to the senior team in summer 2020, he appeared in 6 consecutive games near the start of the 20/21 season (5 starts), then a further 3 consecutive starts in Jan-Feb, coming off injured after 33 mins in the last of those games.

In 21/22 he managed five consecutive appearances from late January to early March (3 starts, all at 12) before again getting injured in the last of those games.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

the spoofer wrote: September 30th, 2022, 9:56 am

If J10 retires (and i'm still not sure he will), we'll have two senior 10s, a 10/12 in Frawley, along with Ngatai/Henshaw at 12. Then you've Prendergast/Tector in second year academy.

I don't think we have room for someone to play big games or 15/20 games a season in either position.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I think the idea Harry is getting an extended pre-season makes sense. He's been far too injury prone, so if he can build himself up at the expense of these early season games its probably worth it in the long run.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Can’t wait for this game, both sides near fully loaded. Looking forward to the centre battle. McCloskey has a chance to put down a marker against two of the Irish golden trio. He gets talked up an awful lot for a 30 year old with only 6 caps. It’s always been my impression that he plays a lot more easy games than the other guys which is why he looks better than he is and he can be found wanting and lazy in bigger games. Showreel Stu. Others think he should have 100 Irish caps and his talent has been massively overlooked.

I’ve probably developed a bit of a bias on my part as the years have gone on so I am really looking forward to seeing if he can get one over our boys tonight, he has started the season in brilliant form and there is a big opening in the Irish squad for November now.

C’mon Leinster :happy clapper:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
HammerTime
Beginner

Post by HammerTime »

OTT wrote: September 30th, 2022, 11:30 am Can’t wait for this game, both sides near fully loaded. Looking forward to the centre battle. McCloskey has a chance to put down a marker against two of the Irish golden trio. He gets talked up an awful lot for a 30 year old with only 6 caps. It’s always been my impression that he plays a lot more easy games than the other guys which is why he looks better than he is and he can be found wanting and lazy in bigger games. Showreel Stu. Others think he should have 100 Irish caps and his talent has been massively overlooked.

I’ve probably developed a bit of a bias on my part as the years have gone on so I am really looking forward to seeing if he can get one over our boys tonight, he has started the season in brilliant form and there is a big opening in the Irish squad for November now.

Ah come on. Almost ridiculous. He was MOTM in nearly every big game for Ulster last year. He's probably no Henshaw but he should have been ahead of Aki for a long time now.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

HammerTime wrote: September 30th, 2022, 2:38 pm
OTT wrote: September 30th, 2022, 11:30 am Can’t wait for this game, both sides near fully loaded. Looking forward to the centre battle. McCloskey has a chance to put down a marker against two of the Irish golden trio. He gets talked up an awful lot for a 30 year old with only 6 caps. It’s always been my impression that he plays a lot more easy games than the other guys which is why he looks better than he is and he can be found wanting and lazy in bigger games. Showreel Stu. Others think he should have 100 Irish caps and his talent has been massively overlooked.

Ah come on. Almost ridiculous. He was MOTM in nearly every big game for Ulster last year. He's probably no Henshaw but he should have been ahead of Aki for a long time now.
He's a fantastic player and incredibly unlucky not to have far more caps. Given that all three of the regular centres have had injury/banning/form issues it's actually really surprising he hasn't more as well. He would be a great asset to Ireland's attack now. So will Hume. He looks outstanding for Ulster but the step up to international is a big step up and in the couple of chances he got he was all at sea. His future in green is a dead cert as far as I'm concerned. McCloskey has unfortunate timing in his career/age but who wouldn't want to see him octopus around a pod of tacklers and set the OC in for an unopposed canter under the sticks at the highest level?

Cooney's lack of caps is a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

My back three would be Baloucoune and two others. Seriously, he'd be my first winger on the teamsheet anyway. Guy's a weapon. Don't tie your hands behind your back.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

There are a few reasons why McCloskey hasn't got the caps he might otherwise have. He's largely only an option at 12 (has he ever played 13?) which doesn't make him an ideal substitute. He's competing with Henshaw and Aki, both of whom have taken their chances when playing for Ireland. In the bigger games the Ulster pack of the last 6-7 years has generally been found out. Much harder to impress in those games when you're on the back foot most of the time. Since Paddy Jackson's departure it's also fair to say that he's played outside some bang average 10's for Ulster.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish