Lancaster set to leave

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Lancaster set to leave

Post by Keith »

blockhead wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 8:07 am We are at the very top of the European tree, with one of two others. A move from us is to step out of the elite and into a lower level, with lower expectations.
Racing have won one trophy this century, if they win one with Lancaster he'll be a messiah to them.
With Leinster, lets face it, its a major disapointment if we don't do the double. That's the difference, that's why it's a step down.
And as for he Top14, I've watched it, its a shocking sack of sh!t, dull as double irish on a monday morning. Yeah it has loads of fans, its a very old and established competition.
No doubting it's the strongest league in terms of finances and attendances but I really hate the French thing of almost not caring about losing games away from home. That's why a lot of their sides struggle in Europe, you don't have a luxury of just throwing away games.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

It was inevitable and he owes us nothing. He started on a high and laid the foundations for something great, bringing through so many players and establishing a very clear style and ethos.

As someone else mentioned - and I know we are spoiled and our standards are high - but one European cup in that many years, with Sexton at the helm, is a bit disappointing. The two LAR games have taken some of the gloss off the management unfortunately. They got the selection and tactics wrong against LAR in 2021 - it wasn't just down to our squad: you can only p!ss with the c0ck that you've got, and it was groundhog day from the previous year against Sarries. Last year was definitely better...but then we also messed up against the Bulls.

Hopefully, we can go one better this year: I think two European trophies would be a better reflection of his tenure and impact. Too early to judge if all the pieces are in place though.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Flash Gordon wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:25 pm If he were to go we might be in a bit of trouble given that we would have lost our head coach, a team of coaches and a rugby CEO. The new guy from Google would not be in an area of strength.
I'd have thought searches would be right in his wheelhouse.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

My guess is Leo will stay on at least 2 years more to bed in the coaching shift and then move on. He's not going to leave the province in a state of shock where all the rugby cultural tethers are cut within two years - Dawson, Felipe, Stu and Johnny (most prob).

Leinster are great at spotting coaching talent and they've never been in a better position to attract names. Expect a left field choice again. Names like Wayne Smith will be bandied around but it's much more likely to be some young innovator stuck somewhere, in need of someone to believe in them.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

curates_egg wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 9:40 am It was inevitable and he owes us nothing. He started on a high and laid the foundations for something great, bringing through so many players and establishing a very clear style and ethos.

As someone else mentioned - and I know we are spoiled and our standards are high - but one European cup in that many years, with Sexton at the helm, is a bit disappointing. The two LAR games have taken some of the gloss off the management unfortunately. They got the selection and tactics wrong against LAR in 2021 - it wasn't just down to our squad: you can only p!ss with the c0ck that you've got, and it was groundhog day from the previous year against Sarries. Last year was definitely better...but then we also messed up against the Bulls.

Hopefully, we can go one better this year: I think two European trophies would be a better reflection of his tenure and impact. Too early to judge if all the pieces are in place though.
To be fair we did give him the platform to resurrect his career and reputation, which he did.

I hear what you are saying on La Rochelle 1 and Saracens - in that we lost a forwards battle which I'm not sure is in his wheelhouse. La Rochelle 2 was a bad day at the office in searing heat, there was nothing wrong with the game plan and we got into a place to win it but there's a time when the coaches role stops and a player's starts.

Hopefully he can go out on a high but that will tough given the disruptions this season.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

jezzer wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 1:45 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:25 pm If he were to go we might be in a bit of trouble given that we would have lost our head coach, a team of coaches and a rugby CEO. The new guy from Google would not be in an area of strength.
I'd have thought searches would be right in his wheelhouse.
:clap:
This deserves a lot more credit than it’s got
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

curates_egg wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 9:40 am It was inevitable and he owes us nothing. He started on a high and laid the foundations for something great, bringing through so many players and establishing a very clear style and ethos.

By that logic we also got the Racing final wrong as it was a game we really should've lost. The margins are so fine at the top level, it's literally a bounce of a ball in some cases, like the final a few months ago.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

So, there should be a few guys coming off contract at the end of the RWC. COuld we limp on with a caretaker until one of them comes free, like maybe
Show Spoiler:
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I'm holding out for the ROG / POC dream ticket!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dan McKellar might be a name to watch, unless he's angling for the Wallaby job after Rennie.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

+1
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I'd imagine Chris Whitaker would be an attractive option too, in terms of not losing culture and identity
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 4:11 pm So, there should be a few guys coming off contract at the end of the RWC. COuld we limp on with a caretaker until one of them comes free, like maybe
Show Spoiler:
Jaysis Paddy, I just got a little bit sick in my mouth there
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

If this happens, this will be a massive loss to not only Leinster but to Ireland.

The IRFU should step in and see if they can sway him.
IMO he should be the next Irish coach.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sexton step straight into a coaching role with Leinster post WC.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Hoofhearted wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 10:14 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see Sexton step straight into a coaching role with Leinster post WC.
He doesn't plan to coach.

He has his post rugby career set up. He is doing work experience at the moment to get ready for it (a day a week in the office of a glass and metal company).
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The Lancaster mafia has peaked. Rowantree got the big job at Munster, Faz with a series win in NZ.

Now it starts to break up.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I wonder would Plumtree fancy a return to Ireland.

Goodman's there for backs/attack, you've got Cullen essentially in a DOR role, and McBryde or AN Other as scrum coach, so you're really looking for someone to coach lineout, maul and defence. Plumtree was lineout and maul coach for Ireland, and I believe he was Hurricanes' defence coach when they won the Super Rugby title. The aggressive linespeed he coached was new in New Zealand at the time and opponents struggled to get to grips with it, as I recall.

He might be a good fit if personalities fit between him and existing coaches and if he's good at player development.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting point here from Leo on how you quantify success.
“Do we always define success as winning trophies or do we look to other things? Do we look at seeing X amount of Leinster guys going on to represent Ireland and play in New Zealand or play in Six Nations games or whatever, or go on an Emerging Ireland tour? What does success actually look like?

“I suppose we were on a decent run when you think, what, five trophies in the previous four years, none last year, so it depends what way you look at it. Five over five years? How far do you go back to suit a narrative for yourself?

“But ultimately there’s the day-to-day piece which is the foundation of what everything is built on. If you just focus purely on the trophy part, then certain poor behaviours would probably be accepted beneath it which will eventually erode the whole culture of the organisation anyway.”
The last line is a good one. As fans we measure success in trophies, but as players/coaches, they have to trust the process and hope the outcome will look after itself.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 10:33 am Interesting point here from Leo on how you quantify success.
“Do we always define success as winning trophies or do we look to other things? Do we look at seeing X amount of Leinster guys going on to represent Ireland and play in New Zealand or play in Six Nations games or whatever, or go on an Emerging Ireland tour? What does success actually look like?

“I suppose we were on a decent run when you think, what, five trophies in the previous four years, none last year, so it depends what way you look at it. Five over five years? How far do you go back to suit a narrative for yourself?

“But ultimately there’s the day-to-day piece which is the foundation of what everything is built on. If you just focus purely on the trophy part, then certain poor behaviours would probably be accepted beneath it which will eventually erode the whole culture of the organisation anyway.”
The last line is a good one. As fans we measure success in trophies, but as players/coaches, they have to trust the process and hope the outcome will look after itself.
i'd be interested to see If Sexton agrees.