Leinster v Treviso Fri 23rd 7.35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Treviso Fri 23rd 7.35 TG4

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote: September 24th, 2022, 3:34 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 24th, 2022, 1:14 pm He's obviously a good athlete too, had a nice half break when playing on the wing.
He started two games for Ireland U20 at No12 in the 2019 JWC [source: https://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-zoom- ... arter.html ]. I think he used to play centre, and maybe outhalf as well, for St Gerards in school.
Yes that's what I mean about him looking like a 'made' 9 instead of a 'natural' one.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

hugonaut wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 10:54 pm
Mookie wrote: September 23rd, 2022, 8:19 pm Jenkins having a great game.
Yes, really good outing from him. Surprised that he went the full 80 mins, but happy to see that he got through it. We went into the last scrum with a middle row of Molony, McCarthy, Jenkins and Baird!
Especially good from Jenkins seeing as he was playing out of position. Amazing how he managed the transition from the back row, in fairness.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

There is an hilarious scene in Sunderland Till I Die Season 2 where some guy called Charlie is having a meeting about changing the walk out music at the Stadium of Light. They had been playing some local song called Shipyards and, iirc, Charlie wanted some Ibiza vibes (in Sunderland!).

Leinster have always gotten the pre game music, the points music, PA and walk out music wrong at games. An annoying PA and absolute trash music is the stable of every Leinster game. "wave your flag". There was some discussion here recently about Leinster attendences. I used to love the idea of bringing people to the RDS for a Leinster game. Visitors from abroad. Now I never bother. It starts and ends with the RDS and the match day experience. Paying 37 euro to sit behind the goals in an unreserved seat with no roof that, outside, is covered in wood chippings; or paying more to see academy players that casual rugby fans and new visitors have never heard of in the Anglesey that comes with an obstructed view. Or head to the terrace and have plenty of blocked views if you can't arrive early enough. Generic, cr@p pre game music, an cringey PA dribbling all over the mic, and the music they play after Leinster score :? It isn't fun. There's no atmosphere at all for run of the mill Pro14/URC games. There's always a gentle murmur like a Ryanair flight at 6:20am before take off. Bland chanting as well. Brought this up years ago and some people responded with, chants happen "organically." About a decade later, still hair raising Lein-ster Lein-ster Lein-ster. Don't forget about those boys in blue. The RDS needs more terracing. An atmosphere is always better when people are standing. But 95% are sitting down, arms folded, cold, watching a smattering of Academy players and URC journeymen against Dragons at 7:45pm in midwinter. Attendences will decline.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

suisse wrote: September 25th, 2022, 2:13 am There is an hilarious scene in Sunderland Till I Die Season 2 where some guy called Charlie is having a meeting about changing the walk out music at the Stadium of Light. They had been playing some local song called Shipyards and, iirc, Charlie wanted some Ibiza vibes (in Sunderland!).

Leinster have always gotten the pre game music, the points music, PA and walk out music wrong at games. An annoying PA and absolute trash music is the stable of every Leinster game. "wave your flag". There was some discussion here recently about Leinster attendences. I used to love the idea of bringing people to the RDS for a Leinster game. Visitors from abroad. Now I never bother. It starts and ends with the RDS and the match day experience. Paying 37 euro to sit behind the goals in an unreserved seat with no roof that, outside, is covered in wood chippings; or paying more to see academy players that casual rugby fans and new visitors have never heard of in the Anglesey that comes with an obstructed view. Or head to the terrace and have plenty of blocked views if you can't arrive early enough. Generic, cr@p pre game music, an cringey PA dribbling all over the mic, and the music they play after Leinster score :? It isn't fun. There's no atmosphere at all for run of the mill Pro14/URC games. There's always a gentle murmur like a Ryanair flight at 6:20am before take off. Bland chanting as well. Brought this up years ago and some people responded with, chants happen "organically." About a decade later, still hair raising Lein-ster Lein-ster Lein-ster. Don't forget about those boys in blue. The RDS needs more terracing. An atmosphere is always better when people are standing. But 95% are sitting down, arms folded, cold, watching a smattering of Academy players and URC journeymen against Dragons at 7:45pm in midwinter. Attendences will decline.

To give a bit more a balanced view (and I've been one giving out about Leinster not doing enough to attract casual fans) - Friday was brilliant. A fine evening watching loads of test stars with the added benefit of the pre and post match entertainment which was a great addition. A ticket for that event was great value.

It won't always be like that, but credit where it's due.

(The complaining about the walkout music in this thread has a touch of 'old man yells at cloud' about it by the way :lol: )
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: September 25th, 2022, 10:10 am
To give a bit more a balanced view (and I've been one giving out about Leinster not doing enough to attract casual fans) - Friday was brilliant. A fine evening watching loads of test stars with the added benefit of the pre and post match entertainment which was a great addition. A ticket for that event was great value.

(The complaining about the walkout music in this thread has a touch of 'old man yells at cloud' about it by the way :lol: )
Yeah, really enjoyed Friday. I think both Leinster and the RDS have made a bigger effort this season. It's around the fringes, but I'm happy that an effort is being made rather than nothing being done.

The columns in the Anglesea are what they are: they hold up the roof. They're a bit of a pain in the hole but if we got rid of them we'd have an uncovered stand, and I'd rather have a covered stand with obstructed views than an uncovered stand with unobstructed views.

Music is subjective. Some people like Sibelius, others like Slayer. You are literally never going to please everyone. Sure I came out of Top Gun: Maverick convinced that Leinster should take the guitar anthem as our walk-out music!

[Which is a brilliant idea, and which we should definitely do.]
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I know it was the biggest test but I thought our defence in the first half was phenomenal. The line speed from Sheehan, Josh, Baird, Connors, Robbie, and Ringrose in particular was just outstanding and we seemed to work in twos and threes to make sure that someone was there to support the guy who rushed up and just keep knocking Treviso back.

I understand why people wanted more from Baird but I thought his work rate was huge and he was always in the right place. He hasn’t played much this year and it was his first game of the season, I’d expect him to be making more of an impact soon enough as long he stays fit and keeps getting games.

I think it’s pretty clear that last season has encouraged the coaches to look for more dominance up front and judging on the first two games that seems to be progressing well. There’s a lot more to come in attack but one thing I’ve noticed is that support players run a lot of short lines looking for offloads instead of the first instinct being to be the first to secure the ruck.

I think it was a pretty big deal that Ringrose was captain on Friday. I thought we might see James Ryan doing it more this season (he could have been doubtful before the team was named of course) and that Luke would be a more obvious choice so I suspect Garry will be captain next season.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

hugonaut wrote: September 25th, 2022, 11:10 am

Yeah, really enjoyed Friday. I think both Leinster and the RDS have made a bigger effort this season. It's around the fringes, but I'm happy that an effort is being made rather than nothing being done.

The columns in the Anglesea are what they are: they hold up the roof. They're a bit of a pain in the hole but if we got rid of them we'd have an uncovered stand, and I'd rather have a covered stand with obstructed views than an uncovered stand with unobstructed views.

Music is subjective. Some people like Sibelius, others like Slayer. You are literally never going to please everyone. Sure I came out of Top Gun: Maverick convinced that Leinster should take the guitar anthem as our walk-out music!

Dangerzone?

This was discussed not too long ago on this forum, and Thin Lizzy does seem like the obvious choice - I think we used Boys are Back in Town for a while before changing to GnR Welcome to the Jungle?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Boys are back in Town is an internationally recognised rock classic - straight outa Dublin. For the life of me I can't understand why Leinster Rugby haven't made it their signature tune. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

One of the biggest problems professional rugby in England faces, is that the majority of their fan base is aged between 55 and 80.

Whilst Philo and Lizzy might be gods to some of us, to a lot of people, especially those under the age of 25, he's just the guy in the Jimi Hendrix statue
I have Bumbleflex
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 25th, 2022, 3:00 pm One of the biggest problems professional rugby in England faces, is that the majority of their fan base is aged between 55 and 80.

Whilst Philo and Lizzy might be gods to some of us, to a lot of people, especially those under the age of 25, he's just the guy in the Jimi Hendrix statue
While walking past that statue one time I heard an American saying "Oh my god, they have a statue of Michael Jackson"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

One thing I forgot to say, as potent as our maul has been in the first two games I think we’ve been very very lucky not to get pinged for joining ahead of the player with the ball. Maybe refs are focusing so much on the lifters getting ahead of the jumper when they land that they switch off after watching out for that.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote: September 25th, 2022, 3:00 pm One of the biggest problems professional rugby in England faces, is that the majority of their fan base is aged between 55 and 80.

Teenagers aren't going to start going to games because we play a minute of whatever drill track is currently lighting up E14, mandem.

We had Boys Are Back In Town, it was a great choice. It's an amazing tune, amazing performance, very apt theme, everybody knows it, it was written and played by Dubs, public performance royalties went to the Lynott estate.

The main thing is that you keep playing the same tune at the same time, and it becomes part of your identity: YNWA for Pool fans, Z Cars for Everton fans, Glad All Over for Palace fans etc. It's like a logo: you spend time designing it as well as you can, but after a while it goes out of fashion and people start to think it looks a bit sh!t. But if you stick with it through that time, it emerges the other side as a classic.

Think of the Adidas trefoil: they started to ditch that for the 'Equipment' logo in the 90s [generic as f*ck] because the trefoil was goofy, but then they brought the latter back because after about five minutes everyone realised that the 'Equipment' logo was totally characterless, and the trefoil was odd but really identifiable.

So you think hard about the song that you want to play for the run-out, you make the decision, and then you stick with it forever.

@Laighin Break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zq7ujKwuRY , not Dangerzone.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

hugonaut wrote: September 25th, 2022, 5:22 pm

Teenagers aren't going to start going to games because we play a minute of whatever drill track is currently lighting up E14, mandem.

We had Boys Are Back In Town, it was a great choice. It's an amazing tune, amazing performance, very apt theme, everybody knows it, it was written and played by Dubs, public performance royalties went to the Lynott estate.

The main thing is that you keep playing the same tune at the same time, and it becomes part of your identity: YNWA for Pool fans, Z Cars for Everton fans, Glad All Over for Palace fans etc. It's like a logo: you spend time designing it as well as you can, but after a while it goes out of fashion and people start to think it looks a bit sh!t. But if you stick with it through that time, it emerges the other side as a classic.

Think of the Adidas trefoil: they started to ditch that for the 'Equipment' logo in the 90s [generic as f*ck] because the trefoil was goofy, but then they brought the latter back because after about five minutes everyone realised that the 'Equipment' logo was totally characterless, and the trefoil was odd but really identifiable.

So you think hard about the song that you want to play for the run-out, you make the decision, and then you stick with it forever.

@Laighin Break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zq7ujKwuRY , not Dangerzone.
sorry Hugo, you can feck right off with that power ballad shite
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

hugonaut wrote:

100% agree about the Top Gun music. In fact I’m going to listen to it now!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 25th, 2022, 5:42 pm
hugonaut wrote: September 25th, 2022, 5:22 pm @Laighin Break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zq7ujKwuRY , not Dangerzone.
Nope. We are a Top Gun kind of team.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

hugonaut wrote:
hugonaut wrote: September 25th, 2022, 5:22 pm @Laighin Break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zq7ujKwuRY , not Dangerzone.
By the way, loved this week’s molepod
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

hugonaut wrote: September 25th, 2022, 6:48 pm
Whatever about the movie you’ve picked the wrong song
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

The run out music is chosen by the team themselves. Last year’s ‘Enter Sandman’ was, as far as I know, chosen by Andrew Porter
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 25th, 2022, 9:32 pm
hugonaut wrote: September 25th, 2022, 6:48 pm
Whatever about the movie you’ve picked the wrong song
One more negative comment on the Top Gun Anthem and you're going on ignore, OSS. To paraphrase Jimmy Rabbitte Snr., that's f*cking blaspheny, Steve Stevens wasn't a Cajun.