Which young guns will break through in 22/23?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Which young guns will break through in 22/23?

Post by wixfjord »

What young players are we most looking forward to seeing this season?

In the forwards I think Alex Soroka could very quickly seen himself in Euro 23s and given a good bit of gametime at 6.
With Rhys slowing down, Josh M gone and with Soroka's performances last season, I'd love to see him get an early season run to stake a claim.
Could add a big defensive lineout threat to our pack too.

Given our riches at hooker, it will be hard for someone to break through there, but John McKee is another who I'd think could jump Tracy and get a good bit of league time too. He reminds me a bit of Strauss (might be the headgear) and his lineout throwing seems nice and accurate too.

I'm very interested to see how Joe McCarthy goes. His breakout last season was a huge positive, but he clearly has a long way to go in terms of game smarts. In NZ he looked a bit like a headless chicken at times. That will come though and his physicality is really impressive. Hopefully he mixes well with Jenkins and both can give us some power in the row when called on.

There's clearly an opportunity for a LH to come through. Ciano likely has 2 seasons left at most and Porter will be minded at times with RWC coming. Dooley gone means Ed Byrne will be called on, but there's a big opp for one of Michael Milne or Jack Boyle to grab the third choice spot from him with a few good showings. I like Milne any time I've seen him, particularly in terms of carrying, but Boyle is obviously a starter in waiting. Will they fast track him?

In the backline I think Cormac Foley could make a real run. Great to see him getting a full pre-season in. He went very well in SA and against Munster in the Aviva. I think he looks smart, good in attack and pass is solid. I reckon we could see him pass McCarthy and even threaten Luke if the latter doesn't up his game on last year.

There's a good chance for an outside back to have a big season too. DK has slowed down a bit, TOB is injured and though we've Larmour/JOB/Keenan/Lowe there, there will be plenty of time to go around given those four will be in Irish squads. Max O'Reilly had a slow enough year last year after some really good showings two season ago. I would love to see him get more time at 15 and graduate into a real option for the 23.

Beyond that, given we seem to be light enough on real talent in the back three in the academy (Smith, Russell, Cosgrave haven't hugely impressed me personally) could Aitzol King be thrown in for some time? He's very raw but a real physical presence and could be a good foil for J Lo in years to come. I don't think it's likely but certainly possible he makes a bolt.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Which young guns will break through in 22/23?

Post by leinsterforever »

I would say Thomas Clarkson. Personally, I don't think Healy covering tighthead is viable against strong-scrummaging opposition. So what happens if one of Furlong and Ala'alatoa is unavailable? It would be good to see Clarkson (or Abdaladze) step up to a level where he can hold his own against virtually anyone.

Soroka and Foley too. And Osborne - if he hasn't broken out already.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Is Soroka a better option than Max Deegan?
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: August 29th, 2022, 3:19 pm Is Soroka a better option than Max Deegan?
At 6 I think he is yes. It's at least a close call now with Soroka a higher ceiling as a blindside.

Deegan the better option at 8 clearly.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: August 29th, 2022, 3:19 pm Is Soroka a better option than Max Deegan?
Soroka reminds me very much of Itoje - not the biggest but an absolute pest and could probably survive well enough in the second row for certain games. He looks to me like someone with a lot of potential.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

I've been thinking that Milne is a potential bolter for the WC next year. If he can stay fit he'll step up this season for Leinster and battle it out with Healy for a European bench spot.