A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 10:52 am
Dave Cahill wrote: April 19th, 2023, 9:05 am
hugonaut wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:34 pm https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-c ... ys-obrien/

"But the suggestion that Prendergast or other players who might not get as many minutes as they want could benefit from "loan" moves, to the French second tier, for example, was given short shrift by contact skills coach O’Brien. "Honestly, no, I don’t think it is," he told RTÉ Sport."The development of a player like him, or others in that situation...what way are they going to develop the best?"

A literally insane idea. Sean O'Brien didn't give it short enough shrift. You couldn't give it short enough shrift.

You get a super-talented player into your system, and instead of training him yourself, you send him off to some second tier outfit so that somebody else can train him worse? Seriously? So he can come back playing that famous Mont-de-Marsan/Vannes/Beziers style which has set European rugby alight?

A pro player spends somewhere between 1200-1440 mins/week [20-24 hrs] training and 80 mins playing, i.e. you spend 15-18 times as long training as you do playing. I don't know if people think that training is just something you do between matches to pass the time ... but it ain't.
Possibly the best point ever made by anyone anywhere on any form of networked communication media
100%! For anyone who didn't see Seánie's first presser as "senior coach" before an upcoming game, here it is. The guy's a natural!!!

https://youtu.be/7k3NXlctwE8
One of the worst questions I’ve ever heard asked with a straight face, who was the lad who asked the question? 🤡
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 19th, 2023, 11:16 am

Possibly the best point ever made by anyone anywhere on any form of networked communication media
100%! For anyone who didn't see Seánie's first presser as "senior coach" before an upcoming game, here it is. The guy's a natural!!!

One of the worst questions I’ve ever heard asked with a straight face, who was the lad who asked the question? 🤡
Just listening to it now, he keeps at it too, won't be told. Jesus christ he's f%~king weapons grade stupid. The guy has just gone from playing an U20 6N grand slam to playing a pro game for Leinster in SA and we should farm him out to the Pro D2 for free and not oversee his development? Where precisely is a better coaching environment for young players? Where are they going to maximise their potential rather than Leinster? Where has produced in succession as many international outlhalfs as Leinster? Sexton, Keatley, McKinley, Madigan, Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne, Ciarán Frawley, and u20s Hawkshaw, Tector, and Prendergast? Get out the yard with your dumb questions!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I wonder if McElroy will get renewed, I can't see why not.. maybe another province might try and sign him though
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

It sounds like, now I could be wrong, but it sounds like yer man from the joe.ie podcast. Not Greg O'Shea, the wan with the beard from Limerick.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:05 pm I wonder if McElroy will get renewed, I can't see why not.. maybe another province might try and sign him though
Even with McCarthy joining the academy we'd be light on options during the RWC and 6N without McElroy.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:14 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:05 pm I wonder if McElroy will get renewed, I can't see why not.. maybe another province might try and sign him though
Even with McCarthy joining the academy we'd be light on options during the RWC and 6N without McElroy.
Agreed.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

fourthirtythree wrote:
riocard911 wrote: April 19th, 2023, 10:52 am 100%! For anyone who didn't see Seánie's first presser as "senior coach" before an upcoming game, here it is. The guy's a natural!!!

One of the worst questions I’ve ever heard asked with a straight face, who was the lad who asked the question? Image
Just listening to it now, he keeps at it too, won't be told. Jesus christ he's f%~king weapons grade stupid. The guy has just gone from playing an U20 6N grand slam to playing a pro game for Leinster in SA and we should farm him out to the Pro D2 for free and not oversee his development? Where precisely is a better coaching environment for young players? Where are they going to maximise their potential rather than Leinster? Where has produced in succession as many international outlhalfs as Leinster? Sexton, Keatley, McKinley, Madigan, Ross Byrne, Harry Byrne, Ciarán Frawley, and u20s Hawkshaw, Tector, and Prendergast? Get out the yard with your dumb questions!
You forgot Joey!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Twist wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:41 pm
fourthirtythree wrote:

One of the worst questions I’ve ever heard asked with a straight face, who was the lad who asked the question? Image
You forgot Joey!
:oops:

How quickly that has happened....
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

fourthirtythree wrote: April 19th, 2023, 1:58 pm
fourthirtythree wrote:
You forgot Joey!

A Lesson from History........

Sportsjoe.ie August 2018 - Jack O'Toole

"Leinster, and particularly Cullen, hitched his wagon to Byrne as the club's deputy fly-half, and while the young pivot has impressed in the absence of Sexton, Carbery is the top points scorer in the Champions Cup this season.

For basketball fans, Leinster letting Carbery walk to their biggest rivals is reminiscent of the time the Oklahoma City Thunder let future MVP contender James Harden go to the Houston Rockets so that they could essentially keep Serge Ibaka, who they traded three years ago.

Sports teams make mistakes and for Leinster this is undoubtedly a big blunder for the province that unfortunately comes with the territory of their academy."
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on April 19th, 2023, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:03 pm
You forgot Joey!

Sportsjoe.ie August 2014 - Jack O'Toole

"Leinster, and particularly Cullen, hitched his wagon to Byrne as the club's deputy fly-half, and while the young pivot has impressed in the absence of Sexton, Carbery is the top points scorer in the Champions Cup this season.

For basketball fans, Leinster letting Carbery walk to their biggest rivals is reminiscent of the time the Oklahoma City Thunder let future MVP contender James Harden go to the Houston Rockets so that they could essentially keep Serge Ibaka, who they traded three years ago.

Sports teams make mistakes and for Leinster this is undoubtedly a big blunder for the province that unfortunately comes with the territory of their academy."
Surely not 2014?
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

joooooe wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:18 pm

Surely not 2014?
2018 presumably.

It is so interesting to wonder what might have been for Joey if he'd gone to Ulster then, or stayed at Leinster.

It was clear that Cullen and Lancaster didn't really see him as a 10 - I think his last season here he started one game at 10, whereas Ross Byrne played 14 times at 10.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Surely not 2014?
Apologies, yeah it of course should have been 2018
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

FtD wrote: April 19th, 2023, 2:29 pm

Surely not 2014?
2018 presumably.

It is so interesting to wonder what might have been for Joey if he'd gone to Ulster then, or stayed at Leinster.

It was clear that Cullen and Lancaster didn't really see him as a 10 - I think his last season here he started one game at 10, whereas Ross Byrne played 14 times at 10.
It was clear that he was playing well there and Rob Kearney was injured.

I think there was a long term plan to switch him back to 10, partly because we didn't really have a case to keep Ireland's backup 10, an essential position, as a backup fullback (who wanted to be an outhalf).

Leo and Stu's case was that his career was better off with us. But that required that his time at 15 prepare him to be a better 10. I think he'd have developed better as a 10 in Leinster.

At that stage in out development we wanted a 2nd playmaker and we hadn't made the transition to 15 playmakers.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Whether Joey should have gone to Munster or where his best position was/is has probably been done to death at this stage and is now probably water under the bridge. The real lesson from this (and the reason I chose that article) was the absolute insane hype that was going on about this guy at that time from the media and some fans. I mean that basketball comparison was just crazy. I know Joey made his own bed but I don't think this this level of hype helps anyone really. Hopefully we'll all learn from this in relation to other guys coming down the line.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:04 pm Hopefully we'll all learn from this in relation to other guys coming down the line.
Voice from the Future wrote: We didn't.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:04 pm Whether Joey should have gone to Munster or where his best position was/is has probably been done to death at this stage and is now probably water under the bridge. The real lesson from this (and the reason I chose that article) was the absolute insane hype that was going on about this guy at that time from the media and some fans. I mean that basketball comparison was just crazy. I know Joey made his own bed but I don't think this this level of hype helps anyone really. Hopefully we'll all learn from this in relation to other guys coming down the line.
Feck that.
Put, you know who, on a central contract right now.
Get him some French lessons so he can breeze through all the MOTM interviews at the World Cup.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

blockhead wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:11 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: April 19th, 2023, 5:04 pm Whether Joey should have gone to Munster or where his best position was/is has probably been done to death at this stage and is now probably water under the bridge. The real lesson from this (and the reason I chose that article) was the absolute insane hype that was going on about this guy at that time from the media and some fans. I mean that basketball comparison was just crazy. I know Joey made his own bed but I don't think this this level of hype helps anyone really. Hopefully we'll all learn from this in relation to other guys coming down the line.
Feck that.
Put, you know who, on a central contract right now.
Get him some French lessons so he can breeze through all the MOTM interviews at the World Cup.
:lol:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

more contract news today... possible additions from academy or extensions for Deeny/Moloney/McElroy be my guess.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I think Maloney has been announced publicly.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

John McKee first contract. Well deserved.

I wonder could we get news of Alex Saroka today?