Leinster Squad 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by curates_egg »

Did he really say that? I was only half listening.
He and BOD obviously broke through very young, as did Luke, but that just doesn't happen anymore (also for deliberate reasons - see Luke). I wonder is he just not making a fair comparison.

Of current senior players, Ringrose, Larmour and Carbery all broke through early (21ish), and to a slightly lesser extent Ross and McGrath.
Of the current younger and academy players, Frawley and Harry (if it weren't for injury) broke through around the same age and Osborne looks to be doing so too.

There are only so many spaces in a squad. How many fully matchday squad players broke through in the decade plus D'Arcy, BOD and Shaggy were playing? Let's say 2001-11: maybe five or six (Kearney(s), Luke, McFadden, Madigan - O'Malley)? So one every two years?
It's not so different right now, I would argue.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Context is important

Conversation was about the Glagow game. Then a comment was made by the presenter about the talent in the Leinster backs coming through at the moment.

D'Arcy said something about not knowing how good someone was until you see them in a first choice team in a big match.

To be honest I think the comment was mainly aimed at the backs playing against Glasgow.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

naraic wrote: December 1st, 2022, 1:40 pm Context is important

Conversation was about the Glagow game. Then a comment was made by the presenter about the talent in the Leinster backs coming through at the moment.

D'Arcy said something about not knowing how good someone was until you see them in a first choice team in a big match.

To be honest I think the comment was mainly aimed at the backs playing against Glasgow.
Context is undoubtedly important. GD said he was basing his judgement primarily on the Zebre away match, which he'd been commentating and where he'd been disappointed at the poor passing of the Leinster backline. I wouldn't read too much into it. At the end, when Fiona Hayes mentioned Osborne, Darce was immediately singing his praises, saying the kid's career could go stellar, were he to start vs Ulster at centre, retain his place vs Racing, which could potentially lead to him getting called into Ireland camp in the New Year and, who knows, going to France in the Autumn as a bolter.
Last edited by riocard911 on December 1st, 2022, 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Darcy is right, we’re not producing world class backs at the moment. This is born out by U20s and Schools sides. No shortage of forwards under 23 with massive potential but not apparent in the backs
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Blue Man wrote: December 1st, 2022, 8:47 pm Darcy is right, we’re not producing world class backs at the moment. This is born out by U20s and Schools sides. No shortage of forwards under 23 with massive potential but not apparent in the backs
Leinster schools last season had the strongest groups of outside backs seen in some years in the province, how that translates through over the coming years will be interesting.

But you are correct, leinster have been better at developing forwards than backs for some time, a combo of lack of world class athletes, coaching at underage and luck being the main issues IMO.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 1st, 2022, 8:58 pm
Blue Man wrote: December 1st, 2022, 8:47 pm Darcy is right, we’re not producing world class backs at the moment. This is born out by U20s and Schools sides. No shortage of forwards under 23 with massive potential but not apparent in the backs
Leinster schools last season had the strongest groups of outside backs seen in some years in the province, how that translates through over the coming years will be interesting.

But you are correct, leinster have been better at developing forwards than backs for some time, a combo of lack of world class athletes, coaching at underage and luck being the main issues IMO.
We're not that bad though. Here's a backline of talented and well coached younger backs, who are all important parts of the Leinster squad (except for Harry, but that is down to injury):
Harry, Tommy O'Brien, Frawley, Osborne, Jimmy O'Brien, Keenan

Sure, we churn out the back rows like a tshirt factory in Bangladesh, but most clubs in the URC would love to get their hands on our young backs.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Don't agree with that at all. Hugo Keenan is the starting Ireland full back. Osbourne and Jimmy O'Brien look cut out to be mainstay internationals in the next few years too.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Schumi wrote: December 2nd, 2022, 10:08 pm
Don't agree with that at all. Hugo Keenan is the starting Ireland full back. Osbourne and Jimmy O'Brien look cut out to be mainstay internationals in the next few years too.
Keenan and JOB are 26. Osborne is an massive talent (not a 12) but there haven’t been enough Osbornes coming through
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jason Jenkins misses out with a hamstring injury that could keep him out of the Christmas fixtures too, while Ryan Baird is rested after a bruising afternoon in LHavre.
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 23485.html
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That's a shame that Jenkins won't get a trip back to Thomond.

Not the worst time in the year for him to take a break though.

Good opportunity for McCarthy to get a few games over Xmas.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

James Tracy retiring due to injury.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Figure that opens up a spot for McElroy to stay until end of the season.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 11:07 am James Tracy retiring due to injury.
Thats sad. Never reached the heights I hoped but a stalwart for the province.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 22nd, 2022, 11:07 am James Tracy retiring due to injury.
That's a shame. He was good solid pro. Every province needs players like James, may not be a superstar but more than good enough to compete at club level. I was never worried about him being on the teamsheet, a good all round pro.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Well that's sad news. Hope he's doing it with his long term health intact and I wish him a good life outside playing rugby.

Really liked watching him play, great effort. Good honest player who had many super days for us and was generally underrated.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

That’s a shame, best of luck in the future

With over 100 provincial caps, 6 international caps, including one try to his name (scored on debut), he has had a career to be proud of.

Here’s hoping the injury is manageable and doesn’t impact on his day to day going forward.
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on December 22nd, 2022, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Best wishes for the future James. Fair winds.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Lovely quote: "When reminiscing on my career, I won’t think about games won or lost, but the memories and friendships made."

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/james-trac ... te-effect/

BTW, thought it was a great selection of pictures for the article.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

A great player. Hope all the best for his future.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

You see lads who piss their talent away and then those that work to eek every ounce out of their abilities. JT was the latter and the type of lad coaches love. Enjoy retirement, it's not the same but it ain't so bad.