Leinster Squad 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by mildlyinterested »

Blue Man wrote: January 16th, 2023, 9:26 pm Any word on the nature of JJ’s injury and likely recovery time?
Hamstring and no.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 16th, 2023, 9:29 pm
Blue Man wrote: January 16th, 2023, 9:26 pm Any word on the nature of JJ’s injury and likely recovery time?
Hamstring and no.
I'd be just hoping it's not the same injury that kept him out while at Munster.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

A very reasonable case made for Ross' inclusion in Irish Squad / Team by Andrew Goodman

https://www.the42.ie/andrew-goodman-lei ... 2-Jan2023/
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 16th, 2023, 9:29 pm
Hamstring and no.
Slightly worrying that a number of players this season appear to have acquired hamstring injuries in training. Is this just my perception or have others noted this also?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I see ROC saying that Keenan has signed a central deal and Doris, JVDF and maybe JGP and Sheehan will likely follow.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 18th, 2023, 8:51 am I see ROC saying that Keenan has signed a central deal and Doris, JVDF and maybe JGP and Sheehan will likely follow.
If those guys get central contracts there's no surprise as all have become essential components of an Irish Squad
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

It seems amazing that Dave Kearney is getting no game time.if Keenan, Lowe,O’Brien & Larmour go into Irish camp then we will be very short on back three players. We can include the Academy players but Smith & Comerford are with the sevens and Osborne will also be with the 6N squad, Frawley still injured and Tommy O’Brien not yet back.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

It's surprising about Dave alright. He'll be 34 by the end of this season, maybe he's signalled his intent to retire so we're choosing to use him only when it's absolutely necessary? He only featured 4 times last season due to injury, so I guess we have been managing without him for over a season already.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Yeah id say Dave is finished at the end of the season.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

maybe he will be, but boy, what a career!
I have Bumbleflex
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

Serb wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:55 pm It's surprising about Dave alright. He'll be 34 by the end of this season, maybe he's signalled his intent to retire so we're choosing to use him only when it's absolutely necessary? He only featured 4 times last season due to injury, so I guess we have been managing without him for over a season already.
That was my guess too. Retiring and going softly into the night as a break glass option.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:37 pm maybe he will be, but boy, what a career!
Such a reliable stalwart.
And probably the Leinster player that most irritated Munster fans, maybe after Jamie Heaslip.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

curates_egg wrote: January 18th, 2023, 7:23 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:37 pm maybe he will be, but boy, what a career!
And probably the Leinster player that most irritated Munster fans, maybe after Jamie Heaslip.

I honestly thought a few years back that he was done, yesterdays man with the likes of Lowe and Larmour on the scene.
But he shrugged off his injuries and scored 22 tries in the 2 seasons before last. On 54 tries he's only 3 short of Denis Hickie in 4th place.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

He has some amount of honours...possibly more European and league medals than the Munster squad combined. Not bad for someone they dubbed "Daverage"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RoboProp wrote: January 18th, 2023, 8:21 pm
He has some amount of honours...possibly more European and league medals than the Munster squad combined. Not bad for someone they dubbed "Daverage"
Wiki says he has 10 for Leinster----winning medals that is
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Three Heineken Cups, a Challenge Cup and Six Celtic Leagues
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:05 pm Three Heineken Cups, a Challenge Cup and Six Celtic Leagues
And Simon Zebo’s six nations medal from 2014.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Players available for Cardiff at home:

LH Prop
Michael Milne(23/Birr RFC-Roscrea/UCD)
--
Marcus Hanan(22/Clane RFC/Old Belvedere)

TH Prop
Michael Alaalatoa(31)
Vakh Abdaladze(26/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf)
Tom Clarkson(22/Blackrock/DUFC)
--
Temi Lasisi(21/Enniscorthy RFC/Lansdowne)
Rory McGuire(20/Blackrock/UCD)

Hooker
Tadgh McElroy(25/Dundalk RFC/Lansdowne)
--
John McKee(22/Campbell/Old Belvedere)
Lee Barron(21/St. Michaels/DUFC)

Lock
Ross Molony(28/St. Michaels/UCD)
Brian Deeny(22/Wexford RFC/Clontarf)

Backrow
Rhys Ruddock(31/Exile/St. Marys)
Will Connors(26/Clongowes/UCD)
Max Deegan(25/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
Scott Penny(23/St. Michaels/UCD)
--
Sean O'Brien(22/Blackrock/UCD)
Alex Soroka(21/Belvedere/Clontarf)
James Culhane(19/Blackrock/UCD)
Diarmuid Mangan(19/Newbridge/UCD)

Scrumhalf
Luke McGrath(29/St. Michaels/UCD)
Nick McCarthy(27/St. Michaels/UCD)
Cormac Foley(22/St. Gerards/Lansdowne)
--
Ben Murphy(21/Pres Bray/Old Wesley)

Outhalf
Harry Byrne(23/St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
--
Charlie Tector(20/Kilkenny/Lansdowne)
Sam Prendergast(19/Newbridge/Lansdowne)

Centre
Liam Turner(23/Blackrock/DUFC)
--
Ben Brownlee(20/Blackrock/UCD)

Back Three
Dave Kearney(33/Clongowes/Lansdowne)
--
Andrew Smith(22/St. Michaels/Clontarf)
Max O'Reilly(22/St. Gerards/DUFC)
Rob Russell(23/St. Michaels/DUFC)
Chris Cosgrave(21/St. Michaels/UCD)
Aitzol King(20/Balbriggan RFC/Clontarf)

Unavailable
Cian Healy(34/Belvedere/Clontarf) - Ireland
Ed Byrne(29/Clongowes/UCD) - injured
Andrew Porter(26/St. Andrews/UCD) - Ireland
Jack Boyle(20/St. Michaels/UCD) - injured
Tadhg Furlong(29/New Ross RFC/Clontarf) - Ireland
Ronan Kelleher(24/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - Ireland
Dan Sheehan(24/Clongowes/Lansdowne) - Ireland
Jason Jenkins(26) - injured
James Ryan(26/St. Michaels/UCD) - Ireland
Charlie Ryan(23/Blackrock/UCD) - injured
Joe McCarthy(21/Blackrock/DUFC) - Ireland
Jack Conan(30/St. Gerards/Old Belvedere) - Ireland
Josh Van Der Flier(29/Wesley/UCD) - Ireland
Caelan Doris(24/Blackrock/DUFC) - Ireland
Ryan Baird(23/St. Michaels/DUFC) - Ireland
Martin Moloney(22/Athy RFC/Old Belvedere) - injured
Jamie Gibson Park(30) - Ireland
Jonathan Sexton(37/St. Marys/St. Marys) - Ireland
Ross Byrne(27/St. Michaels/UCD) - Ireland
Ciaran Frawley(24/Skerries RFC/UCD) - injured
Charlie Ngatai(32) - injured
Robbie Henshaw(29) - injured
Garry Ringrose(27/Blackrock/UCD) - Ireland
Jamie Osborne(21/Naas RFC/Naas) - Ireland
James Lowe(30) - Ireland
Hugo Keenan(26/Blackrock/UCD) - Ireland
Jimmy O'Brien(25/Newbridge/UCD) - Ireland
Jordan Larmour(25/St. Andrews/St. Marys) - Ireland
Tommy O'Brien(24/Blackrock/UCD) - injured
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster Rugby second row Charlie Ryan has been forced to retire from the game with immediate effect due to a long-standing and recurring knee injury.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-r ... te-effect/
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Charlie Ryan retiring with immediate effect. This kid could have been one of the greats, a real shame.

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-r ... te-effect/

Leinster Rugby second row Charlie Ryan has been forced to retire from the game with immediate effect due to a long-standing and recurring knee injury.

The 23-year-old had a glittering age grade career in his school Blackrock College, with the Ireland U-20s and indeed captained Leinster Rugby ‘A’ to their 2019, Celtic Cup Final win over Ulster ‘A’.

Ryan was also captain of the Grand Slam winning Ireland U-20s side of 2019, when David Hawkshaw was ruled through injury, and he carried that honour with him through to the U-20s World Cup that summer.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie, Ryan explained the difficulty of the decision but also that no stone had been left unturned in trying to find a way back.

“I finish my career deeply grateful to Leinster Rugby. Firstly, to Leo and the coaching staff for showing belief in me as a person and player despite my injury struggle. The signing of a senior contract with my boyhood club was one of my proudest moments, there’s nothing more the club could have done for me with respect to this injury.

“I leave the club at peace mentally due to the tireless work of the medical team. Every possible avenue to success was explored. “

Ryan also acknowledged the significant impact his former coaches had on his playing career, while also looking back fondly on the times he did have on a rugby field.

“There are a countless number of coaches and mentors I will thank personally over the coming days for the help I received to get here.

“I loved playing the game, I’m so incredibly lucky to have got the opportunity to play it, I don’t regret one second of the journey. I have made connections with some incredible people that will last a lifetime. I could not have got to this point without the endless support from my family and friends. I am incredibly lucky to have had them there to help me. I wouldn’t have got anywhere near where I am now if it was not for their selfless support of me in my pursuit of this dream.”

Regarding his next steps, Ryan completed a Business & Legal Studies degree in UCD last October and is now working with the family business, JP Ryan, down in the Dublin Docklands.

Ryan was awarded a senior contract by Leo Cullen ahead of the 2022/23 season and last played for Leinster Rugby ‘A’ in 2020 against Munster. He also lined out for UCD RFC in the Energia All-Ireland League.

Leinster Rugby head coach, Leo Cullen, paid tribute to the young lock and said, “Charlie has always been a player who has shown great leadership and that was clearly displayed when he led the Ireland U-20s to Grand Slam success back in 2019.

“Unfortunately, Charlie has had to battle ongoing knee issues in the time since then. Everyone who has worked with him over the last number of seasons are really saddened to hear that he is being forced to retire now from the game at such a young age.

“Having had the pleasure of working with Charlie over recent seasons I am confident that Charlie will be a success with whatever he decides to do next as he is incredibly diligent, is able to build strong connections with people and is a great teammate to be around.

“I think I can speak on behalf of everyone here at Leinster Rugby in wishing Charlie every success for what he turns his attention to next.”

Everyone in Leinster Rugby wishes Charlie the very best of luck with his future.

Charlie Ryan – Full Statement

“I finish my career deeply grateful to Leinster Rugby. Firstly, to Leo and the coaching staff for showing belief in me as a person and player despite my injury struggle. The signing of a senior contract with my boyhood club was one of my proudest moments, there’s nothing more the club could have done for me with respect to this injury.

“I leave the club at peace mentally due to the tireless work of the medical team. Every possible avenue to success was explored.

“I would like to thank my physio Karl Denvir especially; the last two years have been filled with his constant and unwavering efforts to help me. This work included weekends, late nights and early mornings without a hint of negativity or resignation.

“I’m certain Karl could not have possibly put more of himself in this effort to get me back playing, I am endlessly grateful to the man due to his willingness to sacrifice so much of his personal life to help his players get back doing what they love. We both finish this journey with our heads held high, many times the outcome is not within your full control, we did everything within our power to influence it.

“There are a countless number of coaches and mentors I will thank personally over the coming days for the help I received to get here.

“I loved playing the game, I’m so incredibly lucky to have got the opportunity to play it, I don’t regret one second of the journey. I have made connections with some incredible people that will last a lifetime. I could not have got to this point without the endless support from my family and friends. I am incredibly lucky to have had them there to help me. I wouldn’t have got anywhere near where I am now if it was not for their selfless support of me in my pursuit of this dream.

“The game can be cruel, I still love it and I will be supporting the boys from the stands with the utmost respect for what they put themselves through physically and mentally to get out there and put on the jersey. I wish the players and the coaches the very best of luck for the future.

“Although the outcome of this journey is not Plan A, I am certain within myself that nothing more could have been done, for that I am endlessly grateful and will not be looking back.

“The club has given me the opportunity to give absolutely everything I could to get back playing. Ultimately it was not possible but what more could I have asked for.

“Thank you and best of luck lads!”
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us