A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:42 pm
leinsterforever wrote: June 1st, 2023, 7:56 pm I was thinking Skelton or Brodie Retallick but I want to see McCarthy in that role, so I'll go with Vincent Koch.
Any interest in signing AWJ for a farewell season and the value of his experience in knock-out (I.e. 6N) games?
I thought he was staying with the Ospreys.
BBC website: Definitely Not playing with Ospreys next year

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/65784861
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:46 pm
ronk wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:42 pm

Any interest in signing AWJ for a farewell season and the value of his experience in knock-out (I.e. 6N) games?
I thought he was staying with the Ospreys.
BBC website: Definitely Not playing with Ospreys next year

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/65784861
So he'll either retire or get a 2 year deal to tide him over until the Lions.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

propertymad wrote: June 1st, 2023, 7:55 pm I'd sign Retallick to replace Jenkins and Frischetti to replace Al'alatoa on the NIQ roster

London irish can't afford to keep Frischetti and Retallick will retire from international rugby post World Cup

I know Frischetti is a loosehead but I have more confidence in Clarkson getting to the top standard at tighthead, than I do in Milne getting to the top standard at loosehead when Healy's gone
Frischetti is a good player, but LH is not a position of need for us. I thought that Milne had an excellent second half of the season and has made a big stride forward in 2023. He is a powerful guy in that he can generate a lot of force quickly. I like his carrying and his nose for the try-line – he battered his way over the line for six tries in the last six games of the seasons, including tries against all four of the South African teams.

Scrummaging is still a bit of a work-on for him, but in the way that it is a work-on for all young props. You need your loosehead to be able to carry the ball and win contacts, that is an important part of the game. It's not an optional extra anymore.

Clarkson doesn't have Milne's explosiveness and he has huge work-ons as a scrummager – he conceded 12 scrum penalties in the league this year, the third most of any player in the league [source: https://www.unitedrugby.com/clubs/leins ... s-clarkson ]. Scrummaging is foundational to a tighthead. It's a tougher job on the right than on the left, and Clarkson has quite a lot further to go on his side of the scrum than Milne has on the left.

I've said it before and will say it for the umpteenth time here – we need to get more out of Vahk. The nature of our system in Leinster is that we don't go out and buy a load of players, we develop them. The downside of that is it takes time. There are very few quick fixes. Jack Boyle and Paddy McCarthy look like great prospects, but we are judged on games in May, and those lads won't be ready for next May.

We have put the time into Vakh, and he's got another year to run on his deal. He's a 27 year old 185cm/121kg Georgian international TH. I think there is the potential for him to be one of the few 'quick fixes'. He's been in the pro system for six years and has a lot of pro level strength and conditioning behind him. And he was a big guy to start with! I bumped into him on the stairs at the after-match do in Lansdowne Road after the URC semi-final and he's a big lump. But my point is that he's not a guy who was a 108kg U20 last year who you are trying to put 7kg on in a year. The size is there.

In France, Top14 teams pick up props in their mid-to-late 20s from ProD2 clubs as a matter of course. You don't see many young props playing for the likes of Toulouse, La Rochelle, Lyon, Racing etc. Guys do their time in the lower divisions until they are strong enough and experienced enough to step up to the top league. I think that Vakh could be a player like that for us next season.

I don't think he was a good fit for Lancaster's style, because he's not very aerobically fit. But a lot of THs have to play games to stay fit - Mike Ross was an absolute classic in this regard, Malherbe is the same, Atonio is the same. Marty Moore is another. From the sounds of things, Rhys Carre is the same.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

propertymad wrote: June 1st, 2023, 7:55 pm I'd sign Retallick to replace Jenkins and Frischetti to replace Al'alatoa on the NIQ roster

London irish can't afford to keep Frischetti and Retallick will retire from international rugby post World Cup

I know Frischetti is a loosehead but I have more confidence in Clarkson getting to the top standard at tighthead, than I do in Milne getting to the top standard at loosehead when Healy's gone
Absolutely agree on Retallick though. He would be #1 on my list. It'd be amazing to see Guzzler turn out for Leinster.

This isn't about bashing Nucifora, but Leinster have got so used to him vetoing potential signings that we have been pragmatic about it and haven't been shopping in that market for a long time. There's no point in spending time and resources with regards to convincing players to come to Leinster when you have essentially been told that you won't be allowed to sign them.

And from Nucifora's end that has worked perfectly. Leinster have supplied 70-80% of the Irish starting XV this season, Ireland have won everything and are the top-ranked team in the world.

Nucifora's contract takes him post RWC23, and then he is probably going to stay in place for the remainder of the season while his successor shadows him [source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 99657.html ]. Maybe that is Joe Schmidt, maybe it isn't – I think it probably will be.

I could see the grip that Nucifora has exerted on Leinster's recruitment slipping a little for a few reasons. He's going to be heading off - it's not his responsibility anymore to make sure Leinster are providing either the starter or the sub [or both] for Ireland. Nucifora has been a combative guy who has throughout his career been very satisfied to tell people no ... it's difficult to imagine the next man in being as hard headed [Steve Hansen is probably too old for the job]. Leinster signing a foreign international – a 'big name' – has never been the difference between Ireland winning and losing the Six Nations, but that has been how Nucifora has played it.

Beyond that, Munster and Ulster have been allowed to sign World Cup winners [De Allende, Snyman, Vermeulen, Kitshoff]; there's no ban on Irish provinces signing big name players, there has just been a de facto ban on Leinster doing it. And if those teams can spring the cash for that sort of player, it's difficult to believe that we can't.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

hugonaut wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 7:07 pm

Absolutely agree on Retallick though. He would be #1 on my list. It'd be amazing to see Guzzler turn out for Leinster.

This isn't about bashing Nucifora, but Leinster have got so used to him vetoing potential signings that we have been pragmatic about it and haven't been shopping in that market for a long time. There's no point in spending time and resources with regards to convincing players to come to Leinster when you have essentially been told that you won't be allowed to sign them.

And from Nucifora's end that has worked perfectly. Leinster have supplied 70-80% of the Irish starting XV this season, Ireland have won everything and are the top-ranked team in the world.

Nucifora's contract takes him post RWC23, and then he is probably going to stay in place for the remainder of the season while his successor shadows him [source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 99657.html ]. Maybe that is Joe Schmidt, maybe it isn't – I think it probably will be.

I could see the grip that Nucifora has exerted on Leinster's recruitment slipping a little for a few reasons. He's going to be heading off - it's not his responsibility anymore to make sure Leinster are providing either the starter or the sub [or both] for Ireland. Nucifora has been a combative guy who has throughout his career been very satisfied to tell people no ... it's difficult to imagine the next man in being as hard headed [Steve Hansen is probably too old for the job]. Leinster signing a foreign international – a 'big name' – has never been the difference between Ireland winning and losing the Six Nations, but that has been how Nucifora has played it.

Beyond that, Munster and Ulster have been allowed to sign World Cup winners [De Allende, Snyman, Vermeulen, Kitshoff]; there's no ban on Irish provinces signing big name players, there has just been a de facto ban on Leinster doing it. And if those teams can spring the cash for that sort of player, it's difficult to believe that we can't.
But our "big name signings" are the endless amounts of Irish internationals we've been able to keep by the budget being available. Ireland are currently world number one, so any team signing players like Keenan, Furlong, Ryan, Doris etc is like signing Kitshoff, Snyman etc etc.

We've been able to assemble one of the greatest squads club rugby has ever seen and have done nothing with it. Nucifora vetoing certain players (if he even did) has absolutely nothing to do with our failures. I don't want new signings for next season, our squad is more than good enough... I want us to figure out why we are so mentally I fragile in big knockout games.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Other provinces sign world class players because they don't produce them. We produce world class players, we're not going to sign players that are, as in at least 50% of the examples you gave above, inferior to what we produce locally.

The reality is that we could sign all the players in the world, but if they aren't well coached then you're Paris Saint Germain - and for the last couple of years we've been a lot more PSG than Real Madrid. Look great in facile wins in the league, unable to get the job done when it matters.
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LaRochelle are back to back HEC champs and have already lined up four new additions to their squad for next year (no way they are finished recruiting either). After last years triumph they brought in 7 (I think) as well. I know there is always rotation but my point is it can be really good to freshen up the dressing room. Leinster do that quite a bit with the coaches, but Its amazing how a quality signing can help on the pitch.

Leinster's principles should always stay the same, but that shouldn't stop us from trying to improve if the opportunity presents itself.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 9:45 pm
Other provinces sign world class players because they don't produce them. We produce world class players, we're not going to sign players that are, as in at least 50% of the examples you gave above, inferior to what we produce locally.

The reality is that we could sign all the players in the world, but if they aren't well coached then you're Paris Saint Germain - and for the last couple of years we've been a lot more PSG than Real Madrid. Look great in facile wins in the league, unable to get the job done when it matters.
Interesting point Dave. So do I take it from that you feel that we haven't been well coached over the last couple of years?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Yeah, I disagree.

The idea that we're not, or haven't been, well-coached ... I can't agree with that at all. It's acute disappointment speaking.

Lose two European cup finals by 3 points and 1 point respectively with the game in the mix until the absolute death of it, against a team who have made the last three European finals in a row, and doing that with a team full of local lads and three journeymen NIQ players with a total of 14 caps between them – 12 of those caps for Samoa, currently ranked 12th in the world - and we aren't well-coached? The main reason we are there is because we are well-coached.

I saw Hugo Keenan's first pro game for Leinster, against Northampton in a pre-season friendly in Donnybrook. It was a f*cking disaster. There was incredibly little difference between Hugo Keenan and Matt Byrne who played on opposite wings for the Irish U20s in the JWC in 2016. They were the same player. The difference between them started when Hugo Keenan went into the Leinster academy. It turns out that Keenan had waaaaaaay more upside than Matt, but identifying upside is a massive part of coaching.

Shane Daly was a hell of a talent as an U20 – more talented by a stretch than either Keenan or Byrne – and he's only beginning to play to his potential at Munster. Bill Johnson was another player who had buckets of talent in that same team and made SFA progress as a pro. Jack O'Sullivan looked almost as good as Doris for the Irish U20s [for example: https://www.the42.ie/jack-osullivan-ire ... 6-Mar2018/ ], but he hasn't done anything even comparable as a pro. You can take coaching for granted when it's good coaching and all your ugly ducklings turn into swans, but it's a real rarity across the game.

We've got a number of players who were big natural talents before they came into Leinster – Porter, Furlong, Ryan, Doris, Henshaw, Ringrose – but we have also got a fair few lads who'd be comme ci comme ca if they were playing elsewhere and weren't being coached exceptionally well in a really competitive environment.

Jimmy O'Brien could barely make the Irish U20s squad as an inside centre. Dan Sheehan didn't make the Irish U20s as an anything. Josh van der Flier was an undersized runaround openside who wouldn't say boo to a goose when he was an U20. Jamison Gibson Park had made all of six Super 15 starts when he joined Leinster. James Lowe couldn't make the New Zealand U20s.

Look at how Carbery did outside the Leinster environment. He looked like a phenomenal talent at Leinster. You move him to another big, well-resourced club and he stumbled gradually downwards until he fell off the bottom step. Injuries? Do you honestly think that torn ankle ligaments and a broken wrist at Leinster would have meant his career corpsing? Nah. You take him from an environment where he was really well-coached to an environment where he was averagely coached and you see a much bigger fall-off than you would expect.

We're not perfect, we've got a couple issues to figure out ... but we're the second best team in Europe and a seriously short fingernail away from being the best team in Europe. We are doing a hell of a lot of things right.

My take on it is that the season's end has been really disappointing, but I am disappointed for the lads, not by the lads. I don't think that they have let us down, and I don't think that the coaches have let them down. It's knock-out rugby, it can be tough on the guts. To borrow several boxing idioms, we've got to get back off the canvas next season, bite down on the gumshield, and finish the round strong.

And on the pragmatic side of things, you look at the years when we have won the European Cup - 2009, 2011, 2012, 2018 – and you see the contributions that Elsom, Hines, Thorn and Fardy made, all of them big men, all of them experienced foreign internationals, and it is not irrational to think that we could do with same again to get us the extra per cent that we need.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Keith wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:00 pm

But our "big name signings" are the endless amounts of Irish internationals we've been able to keep by the budget being available. Ireland are currently world number one, so any team signing players like Keenan, Furlong, Ryan, Doris etc is like signing Kitshoff, Snyman etc etc.

We've been able to assemble one of the greatest squads club rugby has ever seen and have done nothing with it. Nucifora vetoing certain players (if he even did) has absolutely nothing to do with our failures. I don't want new signings for next season, our squad is more than good enough... I want us to figure out why we are so mentally I fragile in big knockout games.
Our 'big name signings' are players who come into the squad as first or second year college students and who we turn into pros ourselves? That is by definition not a big name signing.

We get the benefit of, and have to work within the limitations of, the IRFU system. We have really significant limitations as to who we can play at certain times of the year, we have massive limitations on who we can sign, we take big injury losses from players injured on national duty, and we have to deal with the effects of 80-90% of our best players trying to achieve peak performance in Feb-March and then go again in May. That might seem like a first world problem, but it's something we have to deal with, because we are judged on winning European Cups.

On the positive side, you don't get picked for Ireland if you leave the country to play rugby, and provinces can't compete financially for the same player on a senior contact. Both of those are big drivers [the first probably slightly more than the second] for keeping Leinster internationals at Leinster.

Central contracts are available for anybody in the Irish pro rugby system – it's a prize for performing well. If our players didn't perform well for Ireland, they wouldn't get them. And even when they do perform well, they don't always get them.

I read a lot of talk about Leinster's success being perpetuated by being awarded central contracts. Rightly so – it should be a meritocracy. Our players are the ones winning matches for Ireland. Look at the Rugby Players Ireland Player of the Year [RPIPOTY] award, voted for by the pro rugby players of Ireland as to who they think is the best player in the country:

2019 James Ryan [Leinster deal at the time]
2020 Garry Ringrose [Leinster deal at the time]
2021 Robbie Henshaw [Central deal at the time]
2022 Josh van der Flier [Leinster deal at the time]
2023 Caelan Doris [Leinster deal at the time]

Four our of the last five winners have been Leinster players on Leinster contracts. That's who the players think are the best player in the country, and 80% of them haven't been on central deals. Josh van der Flier won World Rugby's IPOTY on a provincial deal, for f*ck's sake. Literally the best player in the world. Talk about earning a central deal the hard way.

Everyone loves Keith Earls, including me, but he has been on a central deal for the last two seasons as a 34/35 year old winger who has played 106 mins of test rugby in that time [1+4]. Do you think he is more deserving of a central deal than Caelan Doris, who has put in 1537 mins [21+0]?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Keith wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:00 pm But our "big name signings" are the endless amounts of Irish internationals we've been able to keep by the budget being available. Ireland are currently world number one, so any team signing players like Keenan, Furlong, Ryan, Doris etc is like signing Kitshoff, Snyman etc etc.

Not exactly endless. We've been chipped away at by other provinces. Mostly in positions that have subsequently shown some softness.

We made good signings and they're talented players, they just were at the level of improving the 23 rather than the 15 directly.

Leinster were aided by big inspirational signings (2nd rows or a big blindside) in all their wins: Elsom, Hines, Thorn, Fardy. And Isa in the backline.

We stopped making comparable signings, we started losing players and we then lost 3 finals. It's true we had a good squad, but so did Saracens and La Rochelle.

We don't know how hard Leo fought behind the scenes for signings or to what extent he wanted to achieve it without signing stars.

I think it's pretty clear at this stage that moderate (but not trivial) extra funding would probable have moved the dial, and that's a decision that the IRFU ultimately took.

Given what the 5th (or higher) stars would have meant for the game in Ireland, I think it's also reasonable to expect a solid payback from such an investment. We could have won anyway without the extra investment, that's true. But it was harder and we didn't actually win.

Maybe we'll win a 5th star next season without making any signings, we have a decent chance. I'd like our chances more if we had that boost.

The mistakes that cost us weren't that big, they were little, we just had so little margin for error.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Last year we lost to a walk off try when their player ran into his own player, slipped and crawled over the line from a position he was never going to score from. It was a huge fluke (for a team who'd earned some good luck).

This year almost the same happens. Ball shoots out of a ruck against a set defence that was looking like making a goal line stand and it falls perfectly so they score. And we still almost score on their line.

La Rochelle are a well coached side with world class players, but they're also the luckiest side in the world. We could have overcome that by not being in that position in the first place and if we were a better side we probably would have executed better in the end.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Those are just examples of World Cup winners that other provinces have signed in the last few seasons. It shows that there is not an unbreachable barrier to an Irish province signing a very high calibre foreign international with regards to salary demands.

In terms of numbers through the gate, we've got the highest overall in the league, the highest one-off attendance, the highest average attendance, the highest lowest attendance. We can wash our own face financially.

We have fewer positions of need than the other provinces, so we don't need to sign many players. My line of thinking would be that we should be in the market for one experienced foreign test player of that sort of calibre and then one or two other players who can do the jobs that we have been looking for them to do over the last five/six years.

We don't play many matches during the Autumn Internationals or Six Nations anymore. The URC has decisively moved away from that. It used to be that we would play matches on the same weekends as internationals, and a big feature of signing NIE players was bringing in experienced foreign test players who could shepherd young teams through those games. That is still part of the job, but it isn't the same percentage of it.

The other element that has been massively reduced is qualifying guys for Ireland through 'project player' status. Going from three years to five years to qualify through residency has meant going from one contract to qualification [quite a high proportion of project players were offered three year deals as an initial contract, almost entirely because that was the qualifying period] to essentially three contracts to qualification - a two year deal, a two year deal and then qualifying halfway through your third deal. That is essentially gone from the Irish game.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

At this stage do we not have to accept there's something weird going on with the manner Lancaster's teams can look like the best but then usually come up second best?

He had an 80% win ratio in the 6N with England, but finished 2nd four times out of four, winning just one Triple Crown. Schmidt had, I think, a 70% win ratio in the 6N with Ireland, but has three championships to his name, including one Slam.

Then to make four European Cup Finals and lose three of them... I don't remember who the pre-game favourites were for the finals in 2018 and 2019, respectively, but Leinster were big favourites in 2022, and favourites again this season. And they were 8 points up around the hour mark last season, and 17 points up after 12 minutes this season and found ways to lose. We can talk about small margins, but it keeps happening. The last two Euro finals aren't two dissimilar to the England-Wales games in the 2015 WC - England 10 points up deep into the match but contrive to lose it.

Is he just unlucky? No-one can be that unlucky. There's some ingredient missing. Does he not give his teams enough of a tailored plan to neutralise specific opposition? The ability to cleverly manage a way through games that are in the balance isn't really evident.

It goes without saying that he's a brilliant coach when it comes to building a squad of quality players.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

ronk wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 12:29 am
Keith wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 8:00 pm But our "big name signings" are the endless amounts of Irish internationals we've been able to keep by the budget being available. Ireland are currently world number one, so any team signing players like Keenan, Furlong, Ryan, Doris etc is like signing Kitshoff, Snyman etc etc.

Not exactly endless. We've been chipped away at by other provinces. Mostly in positions that have subsequently shown some softness.

We made good signings and they're talented players, they just were at the level of improving the 23 rather than the 15 directly.

Leinster were aided by big inspirational signings (2nd rows or a big blindside) in all their wins: Elsom, Hines, Thorn, Fardy. And Isa in the backline.

We stopped making comparable signings, we started losing players and we then lost 3 finals. It's true we had a good squad, but so did Saracens and La Rochelle.

We don't know how hard Leo fought behind the scenes for signings or to what extent he wanted to achieve it without signing stars.

I think it's pretty clear at this stage that moderate (but not trivial) extra funding would probable have moved the dial, and that's a decision that the IRFU ultimately took.

Given what the 5th (or higher) stars would have meant for the game in Ireland, I think it's also reasonable to expect a solid payback from such an investment. We could have won anyway without the extra investment, that's true. But it was harder and we didn't actually win.

Maybe we'll win a 5th star next season without making any signings, we have a decent chance. I'd like our chances more if we had that boost.

The mistakes that cost us weren't that big, they were little, we just had so little margin for error.
We signed the likes of Elsom's and Thorn's when we weren't producing 90% of a national squad that is ranked world number one. We don't need those signings anymore because we are producing our own.

Our squad this season was the envy of everyone else, that's why you had the likes of McFarland and Wigglesworth make the rediculous statements they did and the endless excuses from the media and fans as to why we were so dominant, upto the final. We need to look deeper than simply calling for big name signings.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Keith wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 4:54 am
We signed the likes of Elsom's and Thorn's when we weren't producing 90% of a national squad that is ranked world number one. We don't need those signings anymore because we are producing our own.

Our squad this season was the envy of everyone else, that's why you had the likes of McFarland and Wigglesworth make the rediculous statements they did and the endless excuses from the media and fans as to why we were so dominant, upto the final. We need to look deeper than simply calling for big name signings.
We don't produce 90% of the international squad.

Need? We don't need those signings to be one of the best sides in Europe, one of. Do we need to make those signings to win? Maybe. Do we need to make one of those signings to improve out chances of winning? Definitely.

We've shown that we can beat the best power teams, but regardless of what pundits say we've been underdogs every time. We've now been beaten 5 years running by Saracens or La Rochelle, 3 times in finals.

Maybe the IRFU is happy with that, it's better than everyone else gets. But it's a choice that they're making. They (& we) have to live the consequences of that, they're passing up on a clear opportunity to grow the game decisively for the kind of signing we know they already make.

The position that would most make an impact is also one that wouldn't affect the national team development.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

This is going to sound odd but does anyone think we need Rhys Ruddock to step back and lead less in mix and match games.

We need to give the opportunity to lead to people who might be in our first choice 23. That way if Ryan or Ringrose are injured someone else will be more likely to step and help shoulder some of the leadership burden.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:24 am
FtD wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:15 am Out of curiosity, if you could sign any one player globally for Leinster, who would you sign and why?

I'll start and go for Eben Etzebeth (though I know his contract runs for another 4 years or so).
This won't be popular

I'd go for Owen Farrell - the only position we're really going to be weaker in next season is outhalf, and he is Sextons brother from another mother
I was asked the question the other day, who I would sign at 10. Despite my penchant for Spenceresque 10s and my dislike of Farrell, he was the only answer I could come up with. I grudgingly have to admit I think he would be a great signing. Not remotely possible though.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

AW Jones is available.

I haven't seen him much this season so I don't know to what extent he's still the same player. He might be motivated by a chance to go out winning something and he'd get to play the Welsh clubs one more time.

If he thinks he has something to prove I don't think he could make a better pick. Obviously he's already a cert for hall of fame if he retires.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

ronk wrote: June 3rd, 2023, 9:27 pm AW Jones is available.

I haven't seen him much this season so I don't know to what extent he's still the same player. He might be motivated by a chance to go out winning something and he'd get to play the Welsh clubs one more time.

If he thinks he has something to prove I don't think he could make a better pick. Obviously he's already a cert for hall of fame if he retires.
He's a shell of his former self. Would be spectacularly poor business for us to pick him up. He isn't going to turn it around at this age.