Leinster Squad 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Serb
Mullet

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by Serb »

Just watched parts of the Ireland game back again and I think Jimmy O'Brien was really excellent for Ireland in that game. He wasn't a stand out, but fitted into the back line seamlessly, and had a really solid game at 13. Kicked a lot of our exits, averaged 4.6 meters a carry with 23 meters from 5, only the one pass in the game apparently, but that was to assist Hansen's try, beat two defenders and made all 6 of his tackles.

Think we have a really solid player in O'Brien and his versatility will be hugely important to Leinster and maybe even Ireland for the next 5+ years.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Serb wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:06 pm Just watched parts of the Ireland game back again and I think Jimmy O'Brien was really excellent for Ireland in that game. He wasn't a stand out, but fitted into the back line seamlessly, and had a really solid game at 13. Kicked a lot of our exits, averaged 4.6 meters a carry with 23 meters from 5, only the one pass in the game apparently, but that was to assist Hansen's try, beat two defenders and made all 6 of his tackles.

Think we have a really solid player in O'Brien and his versatility will be hugely important to Leinster and maybe even Ireland for the next 5+ years.
Straightened the line nicely to commit the last defender for the Hansen try. Nothing out of the ordinary but no panic and played it like a veteran.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:30 am
mildlyinterested wrote: November 8th, 2022, 7:55 am
curates_egg wrote: November 8th, 2022, 6:26 am Ngatai in the Baa Baas squad unfortunately.
why unfortunately?

Leinster arent playing a game, so I dont see the issue in him playing for the baa baas
Because there is a risk he gets injured in a meaningless match that has no benefit for Leinster.

We sign players like him and Alalatoa and Jenkins to provide quality back-up for our Irish internationals - it is clearly not in Leinster's interest for them to be playing for (and risking injury with) other teams, even if it is totally understandable from their perspective, so I don't begrudge them.
I love the Baa Baas (unlike the Lions), but I would prefer if their sides included no Leinster players during the league season.
Unfortunately , players love the Baa-Baas gig, possibly second only to Lions outside an Irish cap. Very hard in Camp to deprive a player of the opportunity to get peer appreciation, without p#ssing them off. Leo usually gets a call from Ba-Ba selectors if they are considering a Leinster player, but not always.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ruckedtobits wrote: November 8th, 2022, 4:10 pm
curates_egg wrote: November 8th, 2022, 8:30 am
mildlyinterested wrote: November 8th, 2022, 7:55 am

why unfortunately?

Leinster arent playing a game, so I dont see the issue in him playing for the baa baas
Because there is a risk he gets injured in a meaningless match that has no benefit for Leinster.

We sign players like him and Alalatoa and Jenkins to provide quality back-up for our Irish internationals - it is clearly not in Leinster's interest for them to be playing for (and risking injury with) other teams, even if it is totally understandable from their perspective, so I don't begrudge them.
I love the Baa Baas (unlike the Lions), but I would prefer if their sides included no Leinster players during the league season.
Unfortunately , players love the Baa-Baas gig, possibly second only to Lions outside an Irish cap. Very hard in Camp to deprive a player of the opportunity to get peer appreciation, without p#ssing them off. Leo usually gets a call from Ba-Ba selectors if they are considering a Leinster player, but not always.
Yeah. I don't blame him in any way. Of course he would want both the prestige and the pay cheque. If there is no anti-BaaBaa clause in his contract, then he should absolutely make that decision.
I just wish he weren't asked.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Anyone at the training session in Tullow this afternoon? Lowe and Kelleher both photographed at the session but hard to tell how involved both were.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/ ... /5000/#115

Lowe, Larmour, Kelleher, Connors all there. As Cormac says.. hard to know how involved; unless you were there. It seem like the entire squad, academy were there apart from those in Ireland camp. Brownlee, A Smith, S.Prendergast, Tector, Foley etc. No sign of HB?
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Did we ever hear the logic of the Patterson/ McCarthy swap? I recall some surprise at the time as it didn't seem to make a lot of sense for Leinster.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

deco wrote: November 11th, 2022, 5:13 pm Did we ever hear the logic of the Patterson/ McCarthy swap? I recall some surprise at the time as it didn't seem to make a lot of sense for Leinster.
Leinster didnt rate Patterson
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Patterson was in the unfortunate situation where he was hurt both by McCarthy leaving and by him coming back.

The move to Munster was well timed as McGrath dropped out of the Ireland pecking order and Casey joined it with Murray still centrally contracted. There can be quality gametime surprisingly far down the depth chart in these cases and I'm never slow to point it out when we're talking about holding onto Leinster players like Byrne, McKee, Penny.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Luke falling down the Irish pecking order was a key element, coupled with an assessment as to what was coming through at younger ages and, finally, a couple of 'iffy' games at A level & AIL games
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 11th, 2022, 5:38 pm
deco wrote: November 11th, 2022, 5:13 pm Did we ever hear the logic of the Patterson/ McCarthy swap? I recall some surprise at the time as it didn't seem to make a lot of sense for Leinster.
We give caps to players we don't rate now?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Keith wrote: November 11th, 2022, 6:48 pm
Yes
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

When we lost McCarthy, we tried to sign Casey out of the Munster academy. We never showed any reason to think we had high hopes for him.

When McCarthy was available again, we signed him. Once we had McCarthy back it didn't make a lot of sense for either Hugh O'Sullivan or Patterson to stay and fight for a place, even if contracts were on the table.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Keith wrote: November 11th, 2022, 6:48 pm
Bucking Tourette’s doesn’t help
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:41 pm
Serb wrote: November 8th, 2022, 2:06 pm Just watched parts of the Ireland game back again and I think Jimmy O'Brien was really excellent for Ireland in that game. He wasn't a stand out, but fitted into the back line seamlessly, and had a really solid game at 13. Kicked a lot of our exits, averaged 4.6 meters a carry with 23 meters from 5, only the one pass in the game apparently, but that was to assist Hansen's try, beat two defenders and made all 6 of his tackles.

Straightened the line nicely to commit the last defender for the Hansen try. Nothing out of the ordinary but no panic and played it like a veteran.
It was a big step up in level and he looked like he belonged there. That's highly encouraging.

He has seemed to be a similar player to Keenan and Barry Daly. Relatively unheralded at underage, played some 7s and later their game clicked in a relatively short space of time and they rose fast. Effective players who are better than their highlight reel suggests.

I'd possible add Hansen to that mix but I haven't seen him play enough outside of Ireland.

In the current system there's a lot of value in wingers and fullbacks who can do the lot, especially defending within the system, working hard and passing. It's nice when we have it but we don't have an attacking system that relies on getting good ball to the winger and hoping they beat an isolated defender enough times to make up for the amount of ball lost trying it.

O'Brien should be a squad regular.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Didn't realise quite how much Brian Deeny looks like Conor O'Brien: https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2375330/
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Frawley getting knee surgery, will miss "months".

Martin Moloney out injured (ACL) for the rest of the season.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/sta ... _UY6Ax-V9w
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

FFS! Every time Frawley starts to get going he gets scuppered by injury. Fingers crossed he can still get a good run at the end of the season and have a shot at the World Cup as well. We could really do with Harry being back in early December and it sounds like he's nearly ready but obviously won't be holding my breath on him being available too often.

Very tough on Moloney, he's already had other serious injuries hasn't he? He looked to be making an impact but we're quite short now. I really think Culhane will have to play a role soon.

No update on Baird's concussion is fairly worrying at this stage, hope it's just because we can take our time during this window.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Full update from Leinster

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/injury-upd ... hile-game/

Sounds like Harry, Larmour and Kelleher should be available soon enough.

No update on Ryan Baird (concussion), Will Connors (bicep), James Lowe (calf), James Tracy (neck), Charlie Ryan (knee) and Tommy O’Brien (knee).
Colmodon
Bookworm

Post by Colmodon »

Almost definitely confirmation bias, but feels like there is always a serious knee/ankle injury whenever we play in Scarlets or Glasgow. Seems mad that the type of surface is now seemingly causing serious injury to players, and also influencing team selections whereby guys coming back from injury / with a history of joint issues aren't risked on plastic pitches.