Leinster Squad 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: August 25th, 2022, 11:56 am 7 minutes of the best flanker in the world doing his thing -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg52OQb ... ndrewForde
That's a great package and it could have been 80 minutes long without much effort
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: August 25th, 2022, 3:40 pm
wixfjord wrote: August 25th, 2022, 11:56 am 7 minutes of the best flanker in the world doing his thing -

He is just so good, honest, humble and hardworking. Imagine Dan Leavy hadn’t been forced to retire and moved to 6. What a backrow that would be!!
He was always a model of consistency but his performances have definitely kicked into the world class realm over the last two years.
He was never really "fashionable" among fans, with people always jumping on the next flanker off the deck (Leavy, Penney, Connors), but he never stopped delivering. You would never have been worried if he was selected for Ireland or Leinster. But now he is one of the first names on the sheet.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: August 26th, 2022, 10:02 am

He is just so good, honest, humble and hardworking. Imagine Dan Leavy hadn’t been forced to retire and moved to 6. What a backrow that would be!!
He was always a model of consistency but his performances have definitely kicked into the world class realm over the last two years.
He was never really "fashionable" among fans, with people always jumping on the next flanker off the deck (Leavy, Penney, Connors), but he never stopped delivering. You would never have been worried if he was selected for Ireland or Leinster. But now he is one of the first names on the sheet.

JVDF has massively upped his performance and built on his talents over the last 2 years or so.

Before that, there was periods where Leavy & Connors were either fit and ahead or just playing better and ahead.

There was also a period when a back row containing VDF & POM was probably unbalanced, as one doesn't carry and one wasn't the world class carrier he is now.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: August 26th, 2022, 10:13 am

JVDF has massively upped his performance and built on his talents over the last 2 years or so.

Before that, there was periods where Leavy & Connors were either fit and ahead or just playing better and ahead.

There was also a period when a back row containing VDF & POM was probably unbalanced, as one doesn't carry and one wasn't the world class carrier he is now.
And carrying was his work on I believe, it wasn't a big part of his game. He's the complete rugby player now at the peak of his powers. Hope he stays fit as he'll be critical for Leinster and will make a big impact at the RWC if he plays.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Flash Gordon wrote: August 26th, 2022, 10:37 am
wixfjord wrote: August 26th, 2022, 10:13 am

And carrying was his work on I believe, it wasn't a big part of his game. He's the complete rugby player now at the peak of his powers. Hope he stays fit as he'll be critical for Leinster and will make a big impact at the RWC if he plays.
That's it. I don't actually believe he 'massively' upped his general performance. I believe he was consistently underrated by fans and media, but Schmidt was happy to select him even with others fit. His tackle and ruck stats were always good.

What he has done is to add explosive carrying to his game, which has meant a one-trick pony can do just fine alongside him in the Irish backrow.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

If the world player of the year award was based purely on performance, JVDF would be a shoe in for 2022.
Unfortunately politics plays a big part.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: August 26th, 2022, 10:57 am
That's it. I don't actually believe he 'massively' upped his general performance. I believe he was consistently underrated by fans and media, but Schmidt was happy to select him even with others fit. His tackle and ruck stats were always good.

What he has done is to add explosive carrying to his game, which has meant a one-trick pony can do just fine alongside him in the Irish backrow.
See I don't agree he was consistently underrated. He was a really good player who got loads of caps but was more of a stopper than a guy who had an impact in attack or created big moments. Let's not rewrite history, he was a cracking player, massive engine but not 'world class' by any means.

Leavy at that time was capable of big moments and creating momentum shifts by himself.

Connors had a great run at end of 2020 and into 2021 before injury too.

Now, Josh has massively upped his carrying, which is a key part of a backrows game but is also having way more big impacts (tries, ball strips, big turnovers) than before, as this shows. He has stepped a level.

https://twitter.com/bensmithrugby/statu ... 0686383110

He himself and both of his coaches have said this too.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I think if you want to sum up what he brings to the team in 4 seconds looks at this clip from 1:19 to 1:23

https://twitter.com/bensmithrugby/statu ... 2729017345

He tackles two players, counter rucks slowing down the ball causing a 3rd player to come in a clear him out. Then he lies on the ball (trying to regain his feet) when the scrum half is going to take out the ball slowing the whole thing down further ..... thus occupying 4 all-blacks all by himself. Not spectacular, but absolutely devastating.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

One final recruit for the forthcoming season.

https://twitter.com/MikeRoss03/status/1 ... I4Wa69e2Eg

If you can't beat them......
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

cormac wrote: August 27th, 2022, 8:58 pm One final recruit for the forthcoming season.

https://twitter.com/MikeRoss03/status/1 ... I4Wa69e2Eg

If you can't beat them......
He’d be about 6th in the depth chart in the back row!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That could go up on a Dressing Room wall somewhere........
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Or maybe just run a Caption Competition!
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Conor O’Brien retires due to injury.

Tough few years for him.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I thought he was retiring at the end of last season? Was this not announced?

Always rated him as a potential international given the right run, a shame he didn't fulfil the potential due to injury.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thats rotten, a young man who showed a great deal of promise, hope he has every success in his post rugby career
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/conor-obri ... rom-rugby/

Really tough outcome for a very, very talented guy.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Gutted for him, I thought he had a really bright future in the game
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Very disappointed for COB. Watched him develop from U14s on and you knew that he had it to make pro. Best of luck with the future plans.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

That try he scored against Ulster:
https://youtu.be/TGrZkrexJ_Y
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: August 29th, 2022, 10:44 pm That try he scored against Ulster:
https://youtu.be/TGrZkrexJ_Y
That's the way to remember his short but exciting rugby career alright. I was impressed by the press release. Having all collectively left no stone unturned to make things work out, but with it not coming to pass, he, Leo and all the gang tried to put the best possible shine on this development and I think they succeeded. Well done all round agus go n-éirí leis!!!