Leinster Squad 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Observingprop123
Mullet

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by Observingprop123 »

FtD wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:15 am Out of curiosity, if you could sign any one player globally for Leinster, who would you sign and why?

I'll start and go for Eben Etzebeth (though I know his contract runs for another 4 years or so).
Dupont. Not because I don't rate JGP, but because I think he is the best player of all time.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

FtD wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:15 am Out of curiosity, if you could sign any one player globally for Leinster, who would you sign and why?

I'll start and go for Eben Etzebeth (though I know his contract runs for another 4 years or so).
This won't be popular

I'd go for Owen Farrell - the only position we're really going to be weaker in next season is outhalf, and he is Sextons brother from another mother
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:42 am He was a key player in beating us 4 out of 5 years in the Heineken Cup.
Equally unpopular suggestion

The key player in beating us 3 of those years in the Heineken Cup was Leocaster.
I have Bumbleflex
Observingprop123
Mullet

Dave Cahill wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:25 am
ronk wrote: June 1st, 2023, 10:42 am He was a key player in beating us 4 out of 5 years in the Heineken Cup.

The key player in beating us 3 of those years in the Heineken Cup was Leocaster.
Don't necessarily disagree with you, but would you expand on this?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:25 am

In a finely balanced match it's possible to point at lots of sources. If they were better coaches we might have won more, if they were worse we might not even have made the finals.

I was as gung ho for building from within as anyone here, and I love the policy. But I also loved signing players like Rocky Elsom.

Having lost 3 finals since our last win and going out to the same teams we met in the final, I think it's fair to say that we might have done better with the sort of player we (apparently) weren't allowed sign.

I think that would have been easier than getting better coaches, and from the perspective of producing players for the national team they've been some of the greatest in history.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

What would anyone think if they made a splash at signing the recently released Cheslin Kolbe (rumoured to be heading to Suntory in Japan)?
Observingprop123
Mullet

FtD wrote: June 1st, 2023, 12:14 pm What would anyone think if they made a splash at signing the recently released Cheslin Kolbe (rumoured to be heading to Suntory in Japan)?
Would cost a million quid a year, which I know could be spent better.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Observingprop123 wrote: June 1st, 2023, 12:27 pm
FtD wrote: June 1st, 2023, 12:14 pm What would anyone think if they made a splash at signing the recently released Cheslin Kolbe (rumoured to be heading to Suntory in Japan)?
Would cost a million quid a year, which I know could be spent better.
Yeah, that's fair.

Would still be extremely exciting to have him on the field though.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 1st, 2023, 11:24 am

This won't be popular

I'd go for Owen Farrell - the only position we're really going to be weaker in next season is outhalf, and he is Sextons brother from another mother
He does some daft stuff occasionally on the high-tackle front, but he's some warrior all the same. Good suggestion.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Aside from how popular he'd be, how well he'd play or how likely it would be to get a signature. There's also the issue that it would blow up the Ireland squad.

Ross Byrne is presently Irelands 1st choice 10. And while he might drop to 2 with Crowley, he's unlikely to drop further.

Future depth is coming from the 4 other players in situ. Leinster signing an outhalf, especially an elite one, would be an immediate and visible issue for the IRFU. But it's a thought experiment anyway.

Signing a Skelton affects Ross Molony's place in the Ireland depth chart. We were already limited so Jenkins was really all we could stretch to.

Given that we signed Ngatai, another cannon boot outside back, and Jenkins, a big tighthead lock, it seems fair to say that over 18 months ago Leo was trying to address the way we were eventually beaten in the final.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This won't be popular

Might not be a bad call.

Camille Lopez signed for Bayoone last Summer, just after their promotion from ProD2. His Stats for the Season are the sports headlines in Sud Ouest today with a long article, as follow:

Played: 26 games (23 starts)
Total Minutes: 1,920
Place kicking: 92.42%
Points Scored: 182 (34 Pens, 27 Converts, 7 DG, 1 try
Metres Kicked: 9,170 (276 effective) - both 1st in Top 14
Age 34

Not a bad contribution for a 34 year-old with 28 caps. He started as 2nd choice kicker to Bayonne full-back Germaine and hauled Bayonne to 8th place in the Top 14 and their first Heino Cup qualification. Form is passing, class is permanent.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:26 pm Aside from how popular he'd be, how well he'd play or how likely it would be to get a signature. There's also the issue that it would blow up the Ireland squad.

Ross Byrne is presently Irelands 1st choice 10. And while he might drop to 2 with Crowley, he's unlikely to drop further.

Future depth is coming from the 4 other players in situ. Leinster signing an outhalf, especially an elite one, would be an immediate and visible issue for the IRFU. But it's a thought experiment anyway.

Signing a Skelton affects Ross Molony's place in the Ireland depth chart. We were already limited so Jenkins was really all we could stretch to.

Given that we signed Ngatai, another cannon boot outside back, and Jenkins, a big tighthead lock, it seems fair to say that over 18 months ago Leo was trying to address the way we were eventually beaten in the final.
I’m not sure that Molony is in the Ireland depth chart bar breaking glass in case of emergency. He’s been called up occasionally but at 29 with no caps it doesn’t seem like hes what they want.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:59 pm

This won't be popular

Might not be a bad call.

Camille Lopez signed for Bayoone last Summer, just after their promotion from ProD2. His Stats for the Season are the sports headlines in Sud Ouest today with a long article, as follow:

Played: 26 games (23 starts)
Total Minutes: 1,920
Place kicking: 92.42%
Points Scored: 182 (34 Pens, 27 Converts, 7 DG, 1 try
Metres Kicked: 9,170 (276 effective) - both 1st in Top 14
Age 34

Not a bad contribution for a 34 year-old with 28 caps. He started as 2nd choice kicker to Bayonne full-back Germaine and hauled Bayonne to 8th place in the Top 14 and their first Heino Cup qualification. Form is passing, class is permanent.
Not necessarily suggesting we recruit Farrell (or any other 10) but just illustrating the sort of Stats a top-class No 10 should aspire for, to be really influential.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 1st, 2023, 2:33 pm
ronk wrote: June 1st, 2023, 1:26 pm Aside from how popular he'd be, how well he'd play or how likely it would be to get a signature. There's also the issue that it would blow up the Ireland squad.

I’m not sure that Molony is in the Ireland depth chart bar breaking glass in case of emergency. He’s been called up occasionally but at 29 with no caps it doesn’t seem like hes what they want.
Exactly.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by FtD

Out of curiosity, if you could sign any one player globally for Leinster, who would you sign and why?

Would also be Will Skelton with Pierre Schoeman a close second.
propertymad
Graduate

Post by propertymad »

I'd sign Retallick to replace Jenkins and Frischetti to replace Al'alatoa on the NIQ roster

London irish can't afford to keep Frischetti and Retallick will retire from international rugby post World Cup

I know Frischetti is a loosehead but I have more confidence in Clarkson getting to the top standard at tighthead, than I do in Milne getting to the top standard at loosehead when Healy's gone
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I was thinking Skelton or Brodie Retallick but I want to see McCarthy in that role, so I'll go with Vincent Koch.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by propertymad

I'd sign Retallick to replace Jenkins and Frischetti to replace Al'alatoa on the NIQ roster

London irish can't afford to keep Frischetti and Retallick will retire from international rugby post World Cup

I know Frischetti is a loosehead but I have more confidence in Clarkson getting to the top standard at tighthead, than I do in Milne getting to the top standard at loosehead when Healy's gone
Similar to why I'd want Scheomen then.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

leinsterforever wrote: June 1st, 2023, 7:56 pm I was thinking Skelton or Brodie Retallick but I want to see McCarthy in that role, so I'll go with Vincent Koch.
Any interest in signing AWJ for a farewell season and the value of his experience in knock-out (I.e. 6N) games?

Possibly 6 games of (max) 35 mins & 5 games of 50 mins, possibly for €130k
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on June 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Ruckedtobits wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 1:42 pm
leinsterforever wrote: June 1st, 2023, 7:56 pm I was thinking Skelton or Brodie Retallick but I want to see McCarthy in that role, so I'll go with Vincent Koch.
Any interest in signing AWJ for a farewell season and the value of his experience in knock-out (I.e. 6N) games?
I thought he was staying with the Ospreys.