Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 22-23

Post by mildlyinterested »

Culhane is injured afaik
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sexton and Josh up against Am and Dupont for WPOTY.

It's not just bias to say that I think the Irish lads have been way ahead of the other two this year. Personally I'd go for Josh but hard to argue with either, some achievement to even be nominated. I'm reminded again of how lucky we are to have these guys on our doorstep!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Am hasn't played all that much and some small games: Wales ×3, Scotland. Beaten by Australia, England, New Zealand. + a win against NZ. There has to be a SH name and it makes sense to be him.

Dupont good player, great record with France. Coming into a RWC, and he's the holder. But that red card could come back to bite him and his form hasn't been all that good (not bad obviously) when I've seen him.

Sexton was injured again France, we won the triple crown with him back. The first test against NZ was his other loss. He has a series win in NZ which is amazing, and if we beat Australia it's a full house against the southern big 3 in 6 months. The whole team just play so well together and it's such good rugby to watch.

JvdF is a great candidate too, but the way Sexton has us playing is special.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Hard to believe that Ardie Savea hasn’t been nominated. He’s been superb in an ordinary team.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote: November 14th, 2022, 7:19 pm Hard to believe that Ardie Savea hasn’t been nominated. He’s been superb in an ordinary team.
He has been super. The All Blacks won the Rugby Championship on his back. He deserved a nomination without a shadow of a doubt.

Aldritt had a good shout, but he had a holiday this summer while JVDF and Sexton were winning a test series in NZ.

Am played five tests in 2022, won three [two of them against Wales, who won one game in the Six Nations] and lost two. He's a very good player, but in terms of his 2022? Woop-de-f*cking doo. It's not an award on what you might have done if you weren't injured.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Sorry, strayed off topic there.

Interesting to see Trinity's Tom Connolly back at training today, this time wearing protective goggles of the type pioneered by Ian McKinley: https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2379272/
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

cormac wrote: November 14th, 2022, 7:19 pm Hard to believe that Ardie Savea hasn’t been nominated. He’s been superb in an ordinary team.
Alone the dummy he sold the Welsh D in Cardiff! Outrageous!!!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: November 14th, 2022, 7:05 pm Am hasn't played all that much and some small games: Wales ×3, Scotland. Beaten by Australia, England, New Zealand. + a win against NZ. There has to be a SH name and it makes sense to be him.

Dupont good player, great record with France. Coming into a RWC, and he's the holder. But that red card could come back to bite him and his form hasn't been all that good (not bad obviously) when I've seen him.

Sexton was injured again France, we won the triple crown with him back. The first test against NZ was his other loss. He has a series win in NZ which is amazing, and if we beat Australia it's a full house against the southern big 3 in 6 months. The whole team just play so well together and it's such good rugby to watch.

JvdF is a great candidate too, but the way Sexton has us playing is special.
JvdF was a very good 7 for a long time, amazing that he went up 2-3 levels of performance after that and stayed there. It's rare to see that in any sport.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ross Byrne called upto Irish squad.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 15th, 2022, 9:24 am Ross Byrne called upto Irish squad.
Makes sense. Not much point having a 36 man squad with 2 people who can cover outhalf. Especially with such an inexperienced backup.

I think they'll stick with Crowley, but it makes also sense to go with a proven player if they end up doing that.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Jason Jenkins picked for South Africa A again to start against Bristol Bears on Thursday night.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: November 15th, 2022, 12:01 pm Jason Jenkins picked for South Africa A again to start against Bristol Bears on Thursday night.
Not surprising
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Jimmy O’Brien staking a decent claim for a World Cup squad spot, filling in at 13 two weeks ago, starting at 15 last week and now starting at 11 this week.

Joe McCarthy likely making his debut off the bench vs Australia too.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Henshaw out until Jan with wrist surgery.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/63786193

Injuries are mounting up at centre but we still have a few options and a strong team if we don't get more.

Ringrose has a lot of minutes so I'd still be inclined to try and rest him against Ulster. Seems like a good time to let Turner try and step up.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Brilliant to hear that Will Connors 'hopes to be back playing before Christmas.'

https://www.the42.ie/will-connors-leins ... 9-Nov2022/

For some reason I thought it was going to be a far longer absence than that.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Interesting to see darcy on OTB question the quality of backs being produced by leinster.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 30th, 2022, 7:55 pm Interesting to see darcy on OTB question the quality of backs being produced by leinster.
Its worth noting that his point seemed to be that none of them had forced their way into a first choice 23. Being in a first choice 23 in big games is where players prove themselves a certain way. Thats a fair point. The younger backs in our first choice 23 are Frawley (24) Jimmy O'Brien (26) and Keenan (26).

I think Osbourne might get a run with a first choice 23 now with injuries so I think he might get a big chance to put down a marker.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

mildlyinterested wrote:Interesting to see darcy on OTB question the quality of backs being produced by leinster.
I can kind of see his point, but you have to account for the quality ahead of them too. Our first 15 only really has room for disruption on the wing realistically.

We have some of the best players in the world at 10, 12, 13 and 15, and very solid 9 and 11 in JGP and Lowe. I think 14 isn’t nailed down with O’Brien, Larmour or Kearney, if a real talent popped up there, they’d take the spot.

If we’re talking the full 23, then all spots are up for grabs really. Foley is pushing McGrath, no-one is really pushing Ross realistically, 23 is pretty open however, with Frawley, Osbourne and Jimmy O’Brien if he’s not picked to start.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

25 and under back through the academy and still on leinsters books:

Scrumhalf
Cormac Foley(23/St. Gerards/Lansdowne) - 9 leinster caps
--
Ben Murphy(21/Pres Bray/Old Wesley) - Academy Yr 2/1 leinster cap

Outhalf
Ciaran Frawley(24/Skerries RFC/UCD) - 60 leinster caps
Harry Byrne(23/St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - 37 leinster caps