Leinster Academy 22-23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Blue Man
Enlightened

Re: Leinster Academy 22-23

Post by Blue Man »

Fair play Mildly, great work.
Looks like there’s lots of depth and some serious athletes.
One concern; D’Arcy, Kearney, Fitzgerald, Ringrose, Larmour were all identified as future internationals when in school. It feels like a while since we’ve had that kind of talent coming through U18s in the 3/4s.
Purist98
Bookworm

Post by Purist98 »

Think Jules Fenelon will play 13 for Michaels this year
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Blue Man wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:46 pm Fair play Mildly, great work.
One concern; D’Arcy, Kearney, Fitzgerald, Ringrose, Larmour were all identified as future internationals when in school. It feels like a while since we’ve had that kind of talent coming through U18s in the 3/4s.
Osborne didn't come though the schools system but is a big, big talent and he's still only 20. He will play test rugby.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Blue Man wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:46 pm Fair play Mildly, great work.
Ah I dunno, Cosgrave had that hype around him while in school.

Ringrose only emerged in 6th year and didnt even playing irish u18s and Larmour didnt have that huge hype until he left school.

But it's not all about what you do in school, which has been shown time and time again.
RugbyRugby2019
Learner

Post by RugbyRugby2019 »

Interesting how many of them are recently recovered from ACL’s
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

RugbyRugby2019 wrote: October 19th, 2022, 12:08 pm Interesting how many of them are recently recovered from ACL’s
Certainly notable alright. 3 happened in games for a leinster underage side.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

ormond lad wrote: October 18th, 2022, 5:48 pm
backrower8 wrote: October 18th, 2022, 1:09 pm Thanks Mildly

Leinster providing 41% of the squad

8 from clubs [a healthy 23% of Leinter players]

9 from Blackrock [5 finals & 4 SCT wins in last 10 years]

6 from Michael's [3 finals & 2 SCT wins in last 10 years]

3 from Kilkenny College [an outlier, producing talent despite never, ever having made an SCT final]

2 each from: Belvedere [2 wins from 4 finals in 10 yrs]; Mary's [0 finals in 10 years]; Newbridge [1 shared trophy from uncontested final in 2020]; Gonzaga [0 from 2, both in last 2 contested finals]

1 from Pres Bray

0 from Clongowes [1 shared trophy from 3 finals in 10 yrs]; Roscrea [1 win from 2 finals in 10 yrs];

0 from Gerard's, Andrew's, Wesley, Castlenock - none of whom have had a team in an SCT final in the last 10 yrs but have produced pro-players [Conan, Foley, Porter, Larmour, VDF, Toner in that time]

0 from Terenure - who have not competed in a final since 2009, or won an SCT since 2003 or had a senior pro-player since Girvan Dempsey (2010). Things are changing there with the appointment of Paul Barr as DOR (former St Michael's College & Pres Cork & Cork Con coach and current Irish Schools coach)
How much relevance does making finals in schools cup across a 10 year period have in relation to these squads and production of players. Maybe 5 years would be relevant as it covers players in the level 1 group who have left school.
Kilkenny have consistently produced or helped produce pro players through the years so not really an outlier. Not making a final in a knockout competition ie just winning 3 games shouldnt be a reason to look at why they have or havent produced players to pro level.
Ihecji Oji spent a year in CCR so not like they dont have any players involved.
OK, taking your comment and doing the analysis shows that 6 schools have qualified for the last 5 finals [Rock 3, Belvo & Zaga 2 each, Michael's & Clongowes & Newbridge 1 each] producing 21 of the 35 (60%) Leinster players selected. Taht 15 or 43% of players come from the top two feeders remains a structural flaw.

Genuine question, what Kilkenny College players have come through to senior contracts in the last 5-10 years?

I stand corrected on Roscrea. I wasn't aware that Ihecji Oji was there for a year, so they have 1 player
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Does anyone really care what specific schools these lads went to? More interesting is the ratio of players coming to through the traditional schools path vs club rugby or any other source
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Serb wrote: October 19th, 2022, 2:43 pm Does anyone really care what specific schools these lads went to? More interesting is the ratio of players coming to through the traditional schools path vs club rugby or any other source
Certain people really care. Even years after they've left said school
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: October 19th, 2022, 2:43 pm Does anyone really care what specific schools these lads went to? More interesting is the ratio of players coming to through the traditional schools path vs club rugby or any other source
usually people who attended that school care.

I don't, it's just useful to track where players are coming from in the school system. The greater the spread the better IMO.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: October 19th, 2022, 2:57 pm

I too am guilty of such atavism. I can't help myself. It's automatic! :roll: :lol: :wink:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

riocard911 wrote: October 19th, 2022, 4:02 pm
Laighin Break wrote: October 19th, 2022, 2:57 pm

I too am guilty of such atavism. I can't help myself. It's automatic! :roll: :lol: :wink:
Yeah, lets ignore where the players are coming from/ not coming from. Down with data/that sort of thing!

The post is about current providers/ non-providers within the context of the NTS. Another angle to Mildly's post.

I posted about every player source.

I posted the club stat first.

Why don't you either grow up or ask Mildly to drop reference to all schools and clubs from now on?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 19th, 2022, 3:01 pm

I don't, it's just useful to track where players are coming from in the school system. The greater the spread the better IMO.
+1
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

only the "real rugby goyz", the rest of us don't understand :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 19th, 2022, 3:01 pm

It shows which coaches are being very effective at said schools for one.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

I am slightly worried in general by our reliance on a small number of schools. If two schools had a bad run of coaches over a couple of years our academy input could be crippled for 5+ years.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

naraic wrote: October 19th, 2022, 8:53 pm
I am slightly worried in general by our reliance on a small number of schools. If two schools had a bad run of coaches over a couple of years our academy input could be crippled for 5+ years.
I'm not sure about crippled, it wouldnt be ideal but the talent would still be there, it just may take longer to develop.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

U20 level
Hugh Cooney (Blackrock/Clontarf FC)
David Dooley (Tullamore RFC/MU Barnhall)

Cooney was a standout for Blackrock last season and in turn for Ireland u19. He featured heavily for Leinster A before AIL action began, starting all three games at 13. The natural outside centre has made his AIL debut on the wing for Clontarf. David Dooley featured three times for Leinster A all of the bench at centre, he was named in the irish u20 squad for last summer but missed out due to injury, the skilled inside centre has been a mainstay for Barnhall since joining them last season.

U19 level
Sam Berman (St. Michaels/Dublin University FC)
Luke Kritzinger (Blackrock)
Will De Klerk (St. Michaels)

Berman was a standout last season for school, who he captained and Leinster u18 schools and Ireland u18, the powerful outside centre also captained leinster u19 this season to an interpro series win, he will be hoping to make his AIL debut soon and to be involved with Ireland u20 this season. Kritzinger was a key member of Blackrocks winning cup side last season while also playing key roles at 12 for both leinster and ireland u18, the big centre combines physicality with a strong passing and kicking skills. Will De Klerk is on the small size compared to Berman and Kritzinger, the skillful inside centre filled in for Kritzinger when he was injured in this years interpros and got a callup for Ireland u19 camp after impressing there.

U18 level
Conor Fahy (Wexford RFC)
Evan Moynihan (St. Marys)
Andre Ryan (Belvedere)

Fahy was the standout centre for leinster u18 clubs, scoring two tries and starting all three games at 13. Moynihan was a standout for St. Marys last season at 12 while in 4th year, he followed that up starting both interpros for Leinster schools at 12, the powerfully built centre has a strong distribution skills. Andre Ryan is tall and lanky outside centre, who has also appeared on the wing for Leinster, he started at 13 for Belvedere last season as a 4th year. He and Moynihan were recently named in the irish u18 training squad.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 19th, 2022, 6:04 pm
only the "real rugby goyz", the rest of us don't understand :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to see you are still here. I was worried we had lost you permanently to Tik-Tok.

Carry on. Good lad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Leinster u19 clubs played Gonzaga recently, not sure on score yet.