Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Academy 22-23

Post by mildlyinterested »

Blue Man wrote: January 28th, 2023, 9:01 pm
Ruckedtobits wrote: January 28th, 2023, 7:45 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 28th, 2023, 10:04 am

Clarksons lack of power/size is notable compared to those two.
And it was apparent against that gargantuan No 17 for Cardiff. Clarkson held up 1/2 tries in his 22 mins on pitch. Hanan at LHP was far more effective in scrum.
Both Clarkson and Hanan were terrible in the scrum. Neither are anywhere near being frontline props on the basis that the can’t scrimmage
Not for the 1st time the scrum looks weak.

At this stage its to be expected that leinsters props will struggle there.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I think that's unfair. It was a fairly close scrummaging contest against a bigger and more experienced tight 5.

On 72 minutes they had a 5m scrum and they went full on after us and got absolutely nowhere.

We locked it out, they kept it in and went for a 2nd shove, ref called use it, they went again and it collapsed for a reset (probably by them to get a new hit).

They had a few more goes and there were a few more resets, but they never got a shove on, didn't have a launch play and we weren't in trouble with the ref.

Eventually they were forced to play it and got scragged under pressure. We then secured our own ball and got a platform for an exit.

There were 4 22 year old out of 6 front rows and they held up well to being the obvious target in a prime position.

I'm obviously not saying they're as good as our best players but I think there's a lot of pessimism. They're doing well around the park. One moment that stood out for me (about 62 1/2 minutes) was Clarkson making a good read to come off the screen runners and chase down the pullback option, catching Evans for a loss.

Hannan is our 5th choice loosehead and he's in the academy, he was making his first appearance of the season. Given that, I think he'll fairly happy with himself right about now.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

ronk wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:49 am I think that's unfair. It was a fairly close scrummaging contest against a bigger and more experienced tight 5.

On 72 minutes they had a 5m scrum and they went full on after us and got absolutely nowhere.

We locked it out, they kept it in and went for a 2nd shove, ref called use it, they went again and it collapsed for a reset (probably by them to get a new hit).

They had a few more goes and there were a few more resets, but they never got a shove on, didn't have a launch play and we weren't in trouble with the ref.

Eventually they were forced to play it and got scragged under pressure. We then secured our own ball and got a platform for an exit.

There were 4 22 year old out of 6 front rows and they held up well to being the obvious target in a prime position.

I'm obviously not saying they're as good as our best players but I think there's a lot of pessimism. They're doing well around the park. One moment that stood out for me (about 62 1/2 minutes) was Clarkson making a good read to come off the screen runners and chase down the pullback option, catching Evans for a loss.

Hannan is our 5th choice loosehead and he's in the academy, he was making his first appearance of the season. Given that, I think he'll fairly happy with himself right about now.
Yeah I thought that was hugely impressive. After getting minced in the previous two scrums they we’re staring down the barrel when Cardiff went for the scrum at a penalty on our line. I think everyone thought a try was inevitable. So for them to turn that road was huge for those guys.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:52 pm
ronk wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:49 am I think that's unfair. It was a fairly close scrummaging contest against a bigger and more experienced tight 5.

Yeah I thought that was hugely impressive. After getting minced in the previous two scrums they we’re staring down the barrel when Cardiff went for the scrum at a penalty on our line. I think everyone thought a try was inevitable. So for them to turn that road was huge for those guys.
+1
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 29th, 2023, 1:52 pm

Yeah I thought that was hugely impressive. After getting minced in the previous two scrums they we’re staring down the barrel when Cardiff went for the scrum at a penalty on our line. I think everyone thought a try was inevitable. So for them to turn that around was huge for those guys.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Alan Spicer is gigantic.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2023, 3:06 pm Alan Spicer is gigantic.
He certainly is, but it worries me that all people ever say about him is 'hes' enormous' (similar things said when Bobby Sheenhan is mentioned). But what I want to know is , 'are they any good'?

So MI, you have your ear to the ground closer then most, so I'm asking........?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

he's very effective at schools level, he will need to improve as all do when moving up the levels, but I'd expect he will be involved with the irish 20s next season as a u19. So yeah he is good, how good will he be? TBD.

Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2023, 3:16 pm he's very effective at schools level, he will need to improve as all do when moving up the levels, but I'd expect he will be involved with the irish 20s next season as a u19. So yeah he is good, how good will he be? TBD.

He’s been training in the sub academy every week since he was 16. Leinster are doing everything they can to develop him into a pro player. He will improve a lot once he leaves school as he’ll be in a great environment training with good players and coaches. He’s the biggest player we’ve ever had in our system so Leinster won’t let this go to waste and will do everything they can to develop him into a top pro player as they are doing at the moment.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lock9541 wrote: January 29th, 2023, 5:45 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2023, 3:16 pm he's very effective at schools level, he will need to improve as all do when moving up the levels, but I'd expect he will be involved with the irish 20s next season as a u19. So yeah he is good, how good will he be? TBD.

He’s been training in the sub academy every week since he was 16. Leinster are doing everything they can to develop him into a pro player. He will improve a lot once he leaves school as he’ll be in a great environment training with good players and coaches. He’s the biggest player we’ve ever had in our system so Leinster won’t let this go to waste and will do everything they can to develop him into a top pro player as they are doing at the moment.
He isnt as big as Toner.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

17 year old Alan Spicer

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LH Prop
Marcus Hanan (22/Clane RFC/Terenure) - bench for Leinster.
Jack Boyle (20/St. Michaels/UCD) - started at 1 for UCD, 1 try.
--
George Hadden(U20/Gorey/Clontarf) - Irish 20s camp.
George Morris(U20/Gonzaga/Lansdowne) - Irish 20s camp.

TH Prop
Temi Lasisi (21/Enniscorthy RFC/Lansdowne) - started at 3 for Lansdowne, 1 try.
Rory McGuire (20/Blackrock College/UCD) - started at 3 for UCD.
--
Paddy McCarthy(U20/Blackrock/DUFC) - Irish 20s camp.
Ronan Foxe(U20/Tullamore RFC/Old Belvedere) - Irish 20s camp.
Adam Daey(U19/Tullow RFC/Lansdowne) - injured.

Hooker
John McKee (22/Campbell/Terenure) - started at 2 for Leinster.
Lee Barron (21/St. Michaels/DUFC) - started at 2 for Trinity.
--
Gus McCarthy(U20/Blackrock/UCD) - Irish 20s camp.
Matt Victory(U20/St. Michaels/DUFC) - injured.

Lock-Blindside
Alex Soroka (21/Belvedere/Clontarf) - injured.
Diarmuid Mangan (U20/Newbridge/UCD) - Irish 20s camp.
--
Conor O'Tighnernaigh(U20/St. Michaels/UCD) - Irish 20s camp.
Max Dunne(U20/St. Michaels/DUFC) - injured
James Doyle(U20/Enniscorthy RFC/Lansdowne) - bench for Lansdowne.
Luke O'Connor(U19/Wexford RFC/Lansdowne)

Backrow
Sean O'Brien (22/Blackrock/UCD) - injured.
James Culhane (20/Blackrock/UCD) - bench for Leinster.
--
Liam Molony(U20/Blackrock/DUFC) - injured
Josh O'Hare(U20/Dundalk RFC/Old Wesley) - bench for Old Wesley.

Scrumhalf
Ben Murphy (21/Pres Bray/Clontarf) - injured.
--
Fintan Gunne(U20/St. Michaels/Terenure) - Irish 20s camp.
Oscar Cawley(U20/Naas RFC/Naas) - Irish 20s camp.

Outhalf
Charlie Tector (20/Kilkenny/Lansdowne) - bench for Leinster.
Sam Prendergast(U20/Newbridge/Lansdowne) - Irish 20s camp.
--
Matthew Lynch(U20/Terenure/DUFC) - Irish 20s camp.

Centre
Ben Brownlee (20/Blackrock/UCD) - started at 12 for Leinster.
--
Hugh Cooney(U20/Blackrock/Clontarf) - Irish 20s camp.
Sam Berman(U19/St. Michaels/DUFC) - Irish 20s camp.
Charlie Sheridan(U19/Naas RFC/Naas) - started at 13 for Naas, 4 tries.

Back Three
Rob Russell (23/St. Michaels/DUFC) - injured
Andrew Smith (22/St. Michaels/Clontarf) - irish 7's
Max O'Reilly (22/St. Gerards/DUFC) - started at 14 for Leinster, 1 try.
Chris Cosgrave (21/St. Michaels/UCD) - started at 15 for Leinster.
Aitzol King (20/Balbriggan RFC-CUS/Clontarf) - bench for Leinster.
--
Andrew Osborne(U20/Naas/Naas) - injured
Henry McErlean(U20/St. Michaels/Terenure) - Irish 20s camp.
James Nicholson(U20/St. Michaels/UCD) - Irish 20s camp.
Noah Sheridan(U20/Wicklow RFC/Clontarf) - Irish 20s camp.
Reuben Moloney(U19/Blackrock/UCD) - injured
Davy Colbert(U19/Gonzaga/DUFC)
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Paidi Farrell who was selected for the clubs u18 Irish squad in the Autumn has been placed in the Schools U18 Squad for the Spring. Is this common practice? He goes to St Mary's Edenderry who don't play much rugby.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ray Donovan wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:53 pm Paidi Farrell who was selected for the clubs u18 Irish squad in the Autumn has been placed in the Schools U18 Squad for the Spring. Is this common practice? He goes to St Mary's Edenderry who don't play much rugby.
Not common but does happen.
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:55 pm
Ray Donovan wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:53 pm Paidi Farrell who was selected for the clubs u18 Irish squad in the Autumn has been placed in the Schools U18 Squad for the Spring. Is this common practice? He goes to St Mary's Edenderry who don't play much rugby.
Cheers. What would the rationale be?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ray Donovan wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:31 pm
club player is very highly rated and they want to see how he performs in u18 6 nations alongside schools players and against higher quality opponents.

u18 schools side is basically an u18 A side, club & schools side an u18 B side and club side an U18 C side.

Farrell not the only club player in u18 schools side, Mahon Ronan there too.

And two club players from Munster.

Wait and see if they make squad at easter.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2023, 7:57 pm 17 year old Alan Spicer

Isn't there another Belvo second-row who's almost as big as Spicer - 6'9" and 6'10" respectively, I heard? Any news on him?
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 4:18 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2023, 7:57 pm 17 year old Alan Spicer

Isn't there another Belvo second-row who's almost as big as Spicer - 6'9" and 6'10" respectively, I heard? Any news on him?
That was last season, eddie rees, he is playing 20s rugby for Clontarf.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Am I correct in saying the current year 3s are:

Hanan
McKee
Soroka
SOB
Smith
O'Reilly

Who looks most likely to be kept on?

McKee and Soroka I'd say are the shoo ins.

Hanan could be given a dev deal owing the to RWC next season and we're likely without Porter and Healy. Unless Leinster think they could be ok with Byrne, Milne and Boyle.

The selection of Culhane and the fact he is at this level does not look like good news for SOB getting retained.

Smith looked to be an excellent option but that off day against Chile really might have hurt him. He looks to be very focused on sevens and Cosgrave and Russell seem to be better prospects.

O'Reilly is in a similar boat. He's spent the majority of this season injured. I'm not sure he has the top end athleticism to make the cut. Possibly in a similar situation to Smith in that Cosgrave and Russell seem to be better rated prospects.

Having said all that we're not exactly awash with back 3 options at present. Especially if Kearney moves on. But I can see DK being given a year contract if he'll take it.

I don't see anyone else graduating early. Russell possibly in the conversation with an impressive (if a little flattering) strike rate this year. I don't see any real merit on bumping him to a dev deal unless one of the other provinces come sniffing. And I'm not sure why they would.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:32 pm
Ray Donovan wrote: January 31st, 2023, 2:31 pm

club player is very highly rated and they want to see how he performs in u18 6 nations alongside schools players and against higher quality opponents.

u18 schools side is basically an u18 A side, club & schools side an u18 B side and club side an U18 C side.

Farrell not the only club player in u18 schools side, Mahon Ronan there too.

And two club players from Munster.

Wait and see if they make squad at easter.
Appreciated.