Supporters First - Replacing The Scourge of Stadium Announcers

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Serb
Mullet

Re: Supporters First - Replacing The Scourge of Stadium Announcers

Post by Serb »

The trumpet? It was good and not cringey at all and I would have low tolerance in general for cringey stuff.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Always wondered what the point of trumpets at matches were. I've no objection to it, I'm not complaining about it, would be more than happy for everyone to bring a trumpet, I just don't see how it relates to a match.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

backrower8 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:41 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:37 am Contrived chants and singing sections have been tried before, they don't work. We had a singing section on one of the open stands previously. At the final in Marseille, we were outnumbered and La Rochelle weren't particularly imaginative to be honest, every French club uses the "Ici" chant. We have Leinster/Boys in Blue/Allez les B/Molly - no shortage of chants but in the URC we've been so far ahead there's never much tension to get the crowd going and in the final in Marseille we were simply outnumbered and the crowd was as nervous as the performance!

On a plus point, the trumpeter last weekend was very good!
There you go. A little bit of innovation/copying the French is all I am talking about, allied to leaving more space for the crowd to shape the occasion themselves.

I am not saying delete the announcer's script, just dial it back, a lot and look to create footholds for the crowd to get involved. Like when announcing the team and naming the scorer - try scored by Jordan.......[LARMOUR!!]....converted by Harry....[BYRNE!!!]....

At key key scrums have the announcer call "H-E-E-E-E-E-A-A-A-A-V-V-E

At key defensive sets, have the announcer call D-FENCE...D-FENCE...D-FENCE with Leo the Lion positioned banging his drum in front of the liveliest crowd segment.

Little things.
You want the announcer to dial it back by booming over the intercom in open play? I would hope that is not even permitted in the tournament rules.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Logorrhea wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:21 pm Always wondered what the point of trumpets at matches were. I've no objection to it, I'm not complaining about it, would be more than happy for everyone to bring a trumpet, I just don't see how it relates to a match.
Bring back the vuvuzela orchestra! All together everyone: Bflat.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I remember back in maybe 2007, it was the season between our first few months in the RDS and moving there permanently Leinster got one of those 4 piece basque type bands to play in one of the stands in Donnybrook. To describe the number of complaints as monumental would be an understatement
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 8th, 2022, 1:40 pm I remember back in maybe 2007, it was the season between our first few months in the RDS and moving there permanently Leinster got one of those 4 piece basque type bands to play in one of the stands in Donnybrook. To describe the number of complaints as monumental would be an understatement
Isn't that the real problem with all this stuff (i.e. bands, singing sections, cheerleaders etc.)? No matter what it is there's always a substantial number that will hate it and complain like it's ruined their life.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

What about bringing back the "Guinness Girls"?
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Wasn't there a brass band at the Aviva a few years back for a Leinster game who played the Imperial March (aka Darth Vader theme) as Healy walked off the pitch sin binned?

I think there are ways to make more of a theatre out of a game day experience. But I don't think brass instruments are one of them
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The reality is that a lot of people want an atmospheric entertainment experience served up to them on a plate. At the end of the day the atmosphere is determined by the crowd responding to what's happening on the pitch. What Leinster crowds lack isn't fan appetite or a quality team, it's jeopardy.
arsebiscuits1 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:09 pm Wasn't there a brass band at the Aviva a few years back for a Leinster game who played the Imperial March (aka Darth Vader theme) as Healy walked off the pitch sin binned?
I remember one match in Donnybrook where they played Bye-Bye Baby as players were binned. Uproar and outrage ensued.
I have Bumbleflex
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:09 pm Wasn't there a brass band at the Aviva a few years back for a Leinster game who played the Imperial March (aka Darth Vader theme) as Healy walked off the pitch sin binned?

I think there are ways to make more of a theatre out of a gae day experience. But I don't think brass instruments are one of them
The Imperial March and a Spoonful of Sugar have two bars that have almost identical rhythms, although the melodies are different. It's quite amusing to sing the Mary Poppins lyrics when Vader is walking out at his most menacing.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We play a French horn after scores followed by "ole".

Nothing wrong with that.

We played our last RDS season ticket game in Feb. It's been one off ticket purchases since for most fans.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I like the Olé
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:28 pm The reality is that a lot of people want an atmospheric entertainment experience served up to them on a plate. At the end of the day the atmosphere is determined by the crowd responding to what's happening on the pitch. What Leinster crowds lack isn't fan appetite or a quality team, it's jeopardy.
I remember one match in Donnybrook where they played Bye-Bye Baby as players were binned. Uproar and outrage ensued.
Proper order too, it's an awful song :lol:
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:40 pm We play a French horn after scores followed by "ole".

Nothing wrong with that.

We played our last RDS season ticket game in Feb. It's been one off ticket purchases since for most fans.
The pasodoble followed by the olé is one of my favourite things parts of the Leinster home games. That and winning by a country mile
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RoboProp wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:47 pm
ronk wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:40 pm We play a French horn after scores followed by "ole".

Nothing wrong with that.

The pasodoble followed by the olé is one of my favourite things parts of the Leinster home games. That and winning by a country mile
It was originally created for Felipe if memory serves!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Flash Gordon wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:58 pm
RoboProp wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:47 pm

Nothing wrong with that.

It was originally created for Felipe if memory serves!
Correct, I think the Argentine fans were playing it during their games in 2007 RWC and we adopted it afterwards
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Logorrhea wrote: June 7th, 2022, 1:03 pm
backrower8 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:49 pm This is about the mainly role and the script, not the individual.
Fair enough. Your post made it about the individual if you ask me. Just came across as both personal and unnecessarily harsh. No big deal really.
Apology accepted :wink:
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

The atmosphere thing is tricky. I do think Irish fans tend to be very conservative and don’t tend to get too into that stuff, unlike the French. But as the French have proven, it doesn’t need to be complicated or flashy or even original. It just needs buy in.

I’ve always liked the idea of an Irish chant. English ones can sound really cheesy (think the Yank “Let’s go team name, let’s go” stuff). Irish can be a lot more forgiving in that sense. Something like (and my Irish isn’t great so this may need checking!):

Bua do Laigheann
Laigheann abú

Can be done as a call and response or just a singular chant. Basically mean Victory to Leinster, Leinster to victory. It’s simple, rhythmic and doesn’t sound cheesy (IMO).

But unless something gets buy in it’s a waste and it’s hard to know what would get that.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

molloyjh wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:09 am The atmosphere thing is tricky. I do think Irish fans tend to be very conservative and don’t tend to get too into that stuff, unlike the French. But as the French have proven, it doesn’t need to be complicated or flashy or even original. It just needs buy in.

I’ve always liked the idea of an Irish chant. English ones can sound really cheesy (think the Yank “Let’s go team name, let’s go” stuff). Irish can be a lot more forgiving in that sense. Something like (and my Irish isn’t great so this may need checking!):

Bua do Laigheann
Laigheann abú

Can be done as a call and response or just a singular chant. Basically mean Victory to Leinster, Leinster to victory. It’s simple, rhythmic and doesn’t sound cheesy (IMO).

But unless something gets buy in it’s a waste and it’s hard to know what would get that.
I went to an NHL game a few years ago and the atmosphere could only be describe as a theatre. It was fantastic. Lights, lasers, music, crowd cams, songs, the works!

And to be fair to our North American cousins, culturally they're much more outgoing and like to make their personalities known.

So despite me thinking at the time I'd never be caught dead dancing on a crowd cam to win a tshirt, it was tremendous entertainment to see people do it.

I compared it to Leinster games and most everything they did would never fly because the Irish are much to culturally reserved and cynical. We don't like to get too emotive for fear of being judged (unless of course it's anguish at mistakes or refereeing decisions because that adds to our reserved cynicism!!) Where as over the pond they care much less about that. They'll sing, chant, whistle and just generally express how good at time they're having.

As a result its much easier to manufacture an atmosphere.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
molloyjh wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:09 am The atmosphere thing is tricky. I do think Irish fans tend to be very conservative and don’t tend to get too into that stuff, unlike the French. But as the French have proven, it doesn’t need to be complicated or flashy or even original. It just needs buy in.

Bua do Laigheann
Laigheann abú

I went to an NHL game a few years ago and the atmosphere could only be describe as a theatre. It was fantastic. Lights, lasers, music, crowd cams, songs, the works!

And to be fair to our North American cousins, culturally they're much more outgoing and like to make their personalities known.

So despite me thinking at the time I'd never be caught dead dancing on a crowd cam to win a tshirt, it was tremendous entertainment to see people do it.

I compared it to Leinster games and most everything they did would never fly because the Irish are much to culturally reserved and cynical. We don't like to get too emotive for fear of being judged (unless of course it's anguish at mistakes or refereeing decisions because that adds to our reserved cynicism!!) Where as over the pond they care much less about that. They'll sing, chant, whistle and just generally express how good at time they're having.

As a result its much easier to manufacture an atmosphere.
The games (football or baseball) go on for 3 hours and often involve a lot of pre game "entertainment". Half the crowd, half the time, are not watching the game closely. It needs the razzamatazz

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you