Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:28 am
Blue Man wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:02 pm Looks like it’s going to be another poor attendance, disappointed that Leinster fan base is so shallow. Also really frustrated by the complete inability of Leinster to market or sell the team in general or specific matches
Most leinster fans seemingly dont care about the URC for whatever reason and many have forked out a lot of money recently to attend games, not to mention June is not traditionally rugby season.

Personally post Marseille, i've very little interest in the URC.
There are loads of factors why attendance is down. Apart from this season being about 200 years long seemingly and people being kind of sick of rugby, this is the fourth game thats off-ST at home, the fifth in Ireland and the seventh overall including trips to Leicester and Marseilles. People have kids doing exams, or they are kids doing exams, people are on their holidays as the schools have closed, the championship is up and running, our country's only proper national team is playing tomorrow, sh!t and all as they are ( :P ), we have a significant number of supporters who are still a bit wary of large crowds, and everyone is just that little bit more careful with their money at the moment due to the current economic situation.
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

alanair wrote: June 9th, 2022, 11:38 pm
backrower8 wrote: June 9th, 2022, 7:27 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 9th, 2022, 5:58 pm I'm delighted for McCarthy to see him starting and performing so well and I think it's a great show of faith from Leo/Stu.

But it's a bit strange that he's been chosen ahead of Ross M twice in a row now after the former put in some brilliant Euro performances, particularly given how reluctant we were to use McCarthy in the Euro games.

If I were Ross I might be a bit annoyed at the harm this could do his Ireland touring chances too.

Great chance for Joe to show he can do it against a meatier pack though and I think overall that he and Ryan is more balanced than any other lock selection we can put out.
As I said earlier, this looks like Faz (who has snubbed Ross Molony) pressing for McCarthy who Leo gave less than 15 minutes to in 3 matches at the business end of the Champions Cup...or maybe Ross is carrying a slight injury.
I absolutely disagree with your theory that Farrell would have any influence at all on the selection for a semi-final. Firstly I dont think Farrell would do it and secondly Leo would rightly tell him to F right off …
Yep agreed. Faz won't have any input into Leinster's selection for a semi final, and rightly so.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 10th, 2022, 8:46 am
Blue Man wrote: June 9th, 2022, 9:02 pm Looks like it’s going to be another poor attendance, disappointed that Leinster fan base is so shallow. Also really frustrated by the complete inability of Leinster to market or sell the team in general or specific matches
Most leinster fans seemingly dont care about the URC for whatever reason and many have forked out a lot of money recently to attend games, not to mention June is not traditionally rugby season.

There are loads of factors why attendance is down. Apart from this season being about 200 years long seemingly and people being kind of sick of rugby, this is the fourth game thats off-ST at home, the fifth in Ireland and the seventh overall including trips to Leicester and Marseilles. People have kids doing exams, or they are kids doing exams, people are on their holidays as the schools have closed, the championship is up and running, our country's only proper national team is playing tomorrow, sh!t and all as they are ( :P ), we have a significant number of supporters who are still a bit wary of large crowds, and everyone is just that little bit more careful with their money at the moment due to the current economic situation.
We should probably remember this the next time there's schadenfreude at Munster not getting a crowd of more than 20k amid talk of 'communions'.

If you leave aside the 'greatest fans in the world' shite that's fun to poke holes at, Munster generally do better than us at getting crowds in.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

A lot of people seem to be engaging with WUMs this morning. Maybe John Waters is right after all, the new world order seem to have infiltrated everywhere.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 10th, 2022, 10:26 am A lot of people seem to be engaging with WUMs this morning. Maybe John Waters is right after all, the new world order seem to have infiltrated everywhere.
Ah now LRIP, don't bringing that turd monger into civilised discourse :D
Mea culpa for the unparliamentary language, but that chap really burns my biscuits.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Rugby attendances in Ireland have not recovered yet post covid.
We had less than 10K at the QF last week, only the 4th time this has happened in the last 11 seasons
Ulster had just over 10K for their QF against Munster, a big interpro
We had 32K for the visit of Munster a few weeks back, that game never dropped below 40K since we started playing at the Aviva.
Munster v Leinster, a sell out year on year was down 6K a month ago.

Dont know the reason or reasons, but the numbers don't lie.
Could be covid legacy, this messed up season, Leinster dominance (The Dubs and Gah football in general suffered too as the boys in blue continued to win)
The Irish and british press constantly running down the League does not help of course, but thats a constant so probably isnt the issue.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I think another thing to keep in mind, is that in my living memory I can't remember a season where all 3 of the larger provinces have been knocked out of the HC with such a punch to the solar plexus. All 3 lost 'heart breakers' and I think the national Rugby community (support base anyway) is still getting over that.

The game V's Munster a couple of weeks ago was a good example I think. This was a huge game for Munster and I really thought they'd turn out in droves. I was thinking of giving it a miss and only went at the last minute and it was one of the poorest attended LeinVMun games, from a Munster perspective, I can remember. In fairness they normally turn out in great numbers for the Game in the Aviva but I think they were still stinging from the week before.

I think we just need to ride the rest of the season out as best we can with the support we have. Those who can muster the enthusiasm have to drive it on as best they can.

I can't wait for tonight to be honest and shall be waving my flag like a mad eejit! :D
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Really looking forward to the game myself this evening. Should be a proper test. If the showers hold off it could be a doozie.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ray Donovan wrote: June 10th, 2022, 11:33 am Really looking forward to the game myself this evening. Should be a proper test. If the showers hold off it could be a doozie.
Same here. Half day off work and up to the big smoke. I can fully understand the financial aspect and don't forget that this is season ticket renewal time.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 10:24 am

We should probably remember this the next time there's schadenfreude at Munster not getting a crowd of more than 20k amid talk of 'communions'.

If you leave aside the 'greatest fans in the world' shite that's fun to poke holes at, Munster generally do better than us at getting crowds in.
Don't want to get into a pissing contest on who has the best support but what you say isn't correct. We have been consistently the best supported Pro 14 team, usually with an average gate 5k or so higher than the nearest (last pro 14 average had Ulster second placed by the way). We have also (by far) been the best supported club in the champions cup - typically with an average gate 10k higher than the next best.

Some people poke fun at Munster not because they aren't well supported (they are) rather because of the way their supporters are positioned in the media and opposite that how our support has been portrayed as somehow inferior (which it isn't).
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Flash Gordon wrote: June 10th, 2022, 12:04 pm

Don't want to get into a pissing contest on who has the best support but what you say isn't correct. We have been consistently the best supported Pro 14 team, usually with an average gate 5k or so higher than the nearest (last pro 14 average had Ulster second placed by the way). We have also (by far) been the best supported club in the champions cup - typically with an average gate 10k higher than the next best.

Some people poke fun at Munster not because they aren't well supported (they are) rather because of the way their supporters are positioned in the media and opposite that how our support has been portrayed as somehow inferior (which it isn't).
You're looking at overall numbers which is easy to do

But we have by far the biggest catchment area and a stadium that's easy to access, smack bang in the middle of the largest fan base.

Leinster have in my view totally failed to grow this base over the last few years and our crowds for more 'regular' and some knockout games are well below par.

Munster got a lot of stick in April for having 'only' 20k people at a regular season derby game with lots of cracking banter on here about 'communions'.

Last week we had less than 9.5k show up for a knockout.

We've only managed above 15k five times this season, and none of these have been RDS games.

My point is, we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back because we're slightly better than Munster, we should be looking at crowds declining and asking why LR aren't doing better to attract fans to the only pro sports team in the biggest catchment area with a huge winning record.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 12:28 pm

But we have by far the biggest catchment area and a stadium that's easy to access, smack bang in the middle of the largest fan base.

Leinster have in my view totally failed to grow this base over the last few years and our crowds for more 'regular' and some knockout games are well below par.

Munster got a lot of stick in April for having 'only' 20k people at a regular season derby game with lots of cracking banter on here about 'communions'.

We've only managed above 15k five times this season, and none of these have been RDS games.

My point is, we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back because we're slightly better than Munster, we should be looking at crowds declining and asking why LR aren't doing better to attract fans to the only pro sports team in the biggest catchment area with a huge winning record.
We're not benchmarking vs Munster or even slightly better on this. We've been posting average attendances in the Champions Cup that are more 10k higher than anyone including Toulouse, Toulon, ASM etc. Yes we are in a big population center but we are also in the place with the best supported GAA tea, the best supported soccer team and the place where national teams play - not to mention the fact that most concerts happen in Dublin and the leisure options are massive.

We need to remember that in the 2000's we were were playing at Donnybrook in front of 3k people and won nothing now we are the best supported club side in Europe with 4 European Cups. Yes there is more potential support wise but the reality is we haven't been able to sell more season tickets because the investment in the stadium hasn't happened - the IRFU are paying for Munster's and the British government for Ulster's.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Flash Gordon wrote: June 10th, 2022, 12:49 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 12:28 pm

We're not benchmarking vs Munster or even slightly better on this. We've been posting average attendances in the Champions Cup that are more 10k higher than anyone including Toulouse, Toulon, ASM etc. Yes we are in a big population center but we are also in the place with the best supported GAA tea, the best supported soccer team and the place where national teams play - not to mention the fact that most concerts happen in Dublin and the leisure options are massive.

We need to remember that in the 2000's we were were playing at Donnybrook in front of 3k people and won nothing now we are the best supported club side in Europe with 4 European Cups. Yes there is more potential support wise but the reality is we haven't been able to sell more season tickets because the investment in the stadium hasn't happened - the IRFU are paying for Munster's and the British government for Ulster's.
All good points and I can see that side of the argument.

I just feel there's a sense of 'ah we're doing well enough and shur look at Munster' about some of this conversation and in some fans a sense of smugness around what are really not brilliant numbers we're hitting.

Like others I'd share the perspective that Leinster's marketing isn't aggressive or smart enough to bring on board new fans and more could be done in this area to capitalise on the team's success.

Anyway, I will be adding another number to the attendance figure tonight and hopefully we see a good crowd in.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 10:24 am We should probably remember this the next time there's schadenfreude at Munster not getting a crowd of more than 20k amid talk of 'communions'.

Nope, will continue to highlight they built a white elephant hich they couldn't use for a HEC quarter final because they needed to let it out to Ed Sheeran to pay the bills. Yopu'd have a poiunt if we took the mickey out of Connacht or Ulster
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Would love the opportunity to upgrade to the covered stands tonight. It seems a bit mad that there will be free seats in the stand and people are willing to pay the extra to use them but there is no facility for it. Ah well rain poncho it is so! :D
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: June 10th, 2022, 1:21 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 10:24 am We should probably remember this the next time there's schadenfreude at Munster not getting a crowd of more than 20k amid talk of 'communions'.

Nope, will continue to highlight they built a white elephant hich they couldn't use for a HEC quarter final because they needed to let it out to Ed Sheeran to pay the bills. Yopu'd have a poiunt if we took the mickey out of Connacht or Ulster
wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 1:02 pm

I just feel there's a sense of 'ah we're doing well enough and shur look at Munster' about some of this conversation and in some fans a sense of smugness around what are really not brilliant numbers we're hitting.

Point proven.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 1:02 pm All good points and I can see that side of the argument.

Like others I'd share the perspective that Leinster's marketing isn't aggressive or smart enough to bring on board new fans and more could be done in this area to capitalise on the team's success.

Anyway, I will be adding another number to the attendance figure tonight and hopefully we see a good crowd in.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1035218 ... wBnsyrYmTQ

WRT marketing. There's only so "agressive or smart" you can be on a budget. And Saracens have proven the limits of marketing in growing your fan base. I'd much rather see the money speent developing thhe grass roots and pathways than the occasional tinie tempah pre game show.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 1:30 pm
paddyor wrote: June 10th, 2022, 1:21 pm

wixfjord wrote: June 10th, 2022, 1:02 pm

Point proven.
wint
@dril
thinking of inventing a new type of person to get mad at on here. maybe people who carry too many keys around.. i dont know yet
6:32 PM · Aug 30, 2018
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The weather is rotten right now and doesn't look like it'll clear as early as had been forecast, could be a bit of a slog later.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 10th, 2022, 4:16 pm The weather is rotten right now and doesn't look like it'll clear as early as had been forecast, could be a bit of a slog later.
Was lashing with thunder & lightning here (Laois) around 3PM but its fine now so could be grand up there in a few hours.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN