Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 9th, 2022, 11:58 am A few surprises! ROL seeing more end of season game time then I expected

ROL is going to be a huge loss to the squad. We can throw him in at centre or on the wing with no fear whatsoever against any opposition. TOB’s injury makes it worse but I’d have really tried to hold to him, really important player for us.

Lowe’s injury is essentially four weeks (edited, forgot the gap between semi and final) and counting at this stage. Sorry to go on about it but it was just a terrible decision to pick him for the final and the longer he’s out the worse it looks.
Last edited by LeRouxIsPHat on June 9th, 2022, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:28 pm
paddyor wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:25 pm
molloyjh wrote: June 9th, 2022, 11:32 am A flat track bully is someone who looks really good until they get to top level opposition, where they look average or poor. So someone who you might perceive should be good against top level opposition but just can’t make that step up despite dominating in other games.

Probably not a wildly unfair way to describe RB, but I do think it’s a bit harsh. His weaknesses are known and so would we really expect he perform well in the toughest of games? I’d argue not personally.
Using 5-10 minutes of possession a final seems way harsh. I don't think he's got the tools to be a regular test player but I don't think that makes him a "flat track bully".
A key part of being a flat track bully is being a billy big b*%&!cks about yourself - and I don't think Ross fits that description at all
Bingpot. You think of the aforementioned Chabal and Andy Powell when you think of Flat track bullies, not Ross Byrne
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:33 pm
ROL is going to be a huge loss to the squad. We can throw him in at Centre or on the wing with no fear whatsoever against any opposition. TOB’s injury makes it worse but I’d have really tried to hold to him, really important player for us.

Lowe’s injury is essentially three weeks and counting at this stage. Sorry to go on about it but it was just a terrible decision to pick him for the final and the longer he’s out the worse it looks.
Yep, I'd have kept ROL too, but he is going so why not give the game time/ experience to one of the other guys who will be here next season?

In fairness the options aren't great without going into the Academy but I would have thought Osbourne would have been a candidate for it. He's been on the outskirts of the big match 23 this season, has experience in the back 3 (even though they seem to focusing on 13 for him) etc.

Anyway, it's not a complaint as I have loads of time for ROL, just thinking out loud really.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RoboProp wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:36 pm Bingpot.
Noice
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:12 pm Since the team announcement we have gone from -16 to -18 point favorites on Paddy Powers.

That's unusual! :shock:
I have a bad feeling we could be mugged here
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:40 pm
ROL is going to be a huge loss to the squad. We can throw him in at Centre or on the wing with no fear whatsoever against any opposition. TOB’s injury makes it worse but I’d have really tried to hold to him, really important player for us.

Lowe’s injury is essentially three weeks and counting at this stage. Sorry to go on about it but it was just a terrible decision to pick him for the final and the longer he’s out the worse it looks.
Yep, I'd have kept ROL too, but he is going so why not give the game time/ experience to one of the other guys who will be here next season?

In fairness the options aren't great without going into the Academy but I would have thought Osbourne would have been a candidate for it. He's been on the outskirts of the big match 23 this season, has experience in the back 3 (even though they seem to focusing on 13 for him) etc.

Anyway, it's not a complaint as I have loads of time for ROL, just thinking out loud really.
Because it’s a semi final and we’re trying to win the competition?
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

molloyjh wrote: June 9th, 2022, 11:32 am A flat track bully is someone who looks really good until they get to top level opposition, where they look average or poor. So someone who you might perceive should be good against top level opposition but just can’t make that step up despite dominating in other games.

Probably not a wildly unfair way to describe RB, but I do think it’s a bit harsh. His weaknesses are known and so would we really expect he perform well in the toughest of games? I’d argue not personally.
Using 5-10 minutes of possession a final seems way harsh. I don't think he's got the tools to be a regular test player but I don't think that makes him a "flat track bully".
A key part of being a flat track bully is being a billy big b*%&!cks about yourself - and I don't think Ross fits that description at all
Yeah. And it's either an individual thing or a collective, not like how your performance relates to others.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Interesting to see Big Joe kept in place of Molony/Baird.

Clearly Baird is predominately see as a backrow now, which is interesting.

Rhys has fallen down the pecking order quite a bit this season.

One worry I'd have looking at their team is the size of our backline. Robbie will help there compared to last week, but Lowe's ability to get over the gainline is a big part of our game and Ross can look very stagnant when he's not going forward.

You've also got the fact that most of our pack are playing back to back to back. Last weekend wasn't much of a test so hopefully they're fresh.

This should be a good test.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Really like our bench. Pots of "finishers" there.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I agree with the rationale for your point but think ROL is the right pick for this game given our back three stocks are depleted (Lowe, Leenan, Kearney).

Wheras I would prefer to see McKee/ Barron in over Cronin who is literally finishing his career, 36, not offering much and likely to throw a crooked lineout or two.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:53 pm Interesting to see Big Joe kept in place of Molony/Baird.

Clearly Baird is predominately see as a backrow now, which is interesting.

Rhys has fallen down the pecking order quite a bit this season.

One worry I'd have looking at their team is the size of our backline. Robbie will help there compared to last week, but Lowe's ability to get over the gainline is a big part of our game and Ross can look very stagnant when he's not going forward.

You've also got the fact that most of our pack are playing back to back to back. Last weekend wasn't much of a test so hopefully they're fresh.

This should be a good test.
Yes, Big Joe being given the nod over Molony, Baird and Rhys being nudged off the bench this week is very notable. Hard not to think that Faz has a hand in that after he got 3 minutes or less in each of the 3 Heineken matches he benched for.

Yes the pack is largely doubling up. In fact six of them are trebling-up (including Dan given how early he came on in the Final) and they will be expected to go again a week later if we win with most of them then having to fly to NZ and play the ABs just two weeks after the final. All of a sudden that's a lot of game time, but I think packs get better, more cohesive, with blocks of matches.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:33 pmLowe’s injury is essentially four weeks (edited, forgot the gap between semi and final) and counting at this stage. Sorry to go on about it but it was just a terrible decision to pick him for the final and the longer he’s out the worse it looks.
I don't agree with that perspective on Lowe's selection. I watched Lowe in the Final and he did not seem to be hindered in his movement in any way. His performance related to the lack of ball that came his way and reduced possession generally. That said, it was notable that he swapped wings with Jimmy for the kick-offs.
Colmodon
Knowledgeable

Post by Colmodon »

This is ROL's 99th cap, should we make a final and should he be selected, he would make it to 100, which would be a good acknowledgement of all he has contributed to our success in the league over the last 5 seasons imo.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Only 1 change in the starting pack for the Bulls from the team we opened the season against. 2 in the backs.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Hugo Keenan taking a full part in the Captains run by the look of the Photo's so you would think he's not too far away from a return.......

Unless he's been dropped! :shock:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It will be very educational to see whether we employ any different patterns in handling the Bulls. I would certainly like to see us commit a third forward to every breakdown where we enter in possession. Like LAR, the Bulls will attempt to slow down our ruck / breakdown ball and hassle JGP by "chopping" at his arms as he picks up. In general our ball placement has been exemplary and he is able to move ball efficiently to his first receiver.

However, if the breakdown area is 'flooded' by defenders and our mid-field is attacked aggressively by a fast defence line which is targeting our 'second-line' attack, it is very difficult to get ball wide and the pace & tempo of our game stagnates. Two of the effective options we have are i) for the first receiver to pass back inside or b) first receiver puts ball behind their fast-up defensive line, where there should be more space which they have just vacated.

Both of these options are significantly dependant on the referee applying the laws on the following infringements:
a) Playing the scrum-half while still a part of the ruck;
b) Early contact / tackle on a player without the ball (vital in a rush defence);
c) Applying the off-side line vigorously against tackles from inside passes.

Many of these infringements were missed or ignored versus LAR, but they are vital in stymeing our desire for tempo and pace. Personally, I fear that Ross will just take the ball deeper and attempt to give Henshaw / Ringrose / JO'B deeper passes against a rush defence solely intent on closing them down.

LAR showed the template of how to curtail our pattern. We must overcome that pressure and it starts at our breakdown. Another (3rd) cleaner at every breakdown may reduce the effectiveness of our attacking pods, but it will ensure we have fast breakdown ball to maintain the tempo we want to play. That is the most important element of our attacking strategy.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Good to see Larmour back.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

RoboProp wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:36 pm
Bingpot. You think of the aforementioned Chabal and Andy Powell when you think of Flat track bullies, not Ross Byrne
I was going to say Powell but I couldn't remember his name! Thanks
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

outcast eddie wrote: June 9th, 2022, 8:43 am
backrower8 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 4:43 pm
the spoofer wrote: June 7th, 2022, 10:35 am I rewatched the game and can not understand the negative review of R Byrne. He had a fine game with one or two errors. His passing is top notch and I'd have him as number 2 to Sexton in NZ with Jack Carty 3 and bring Frawley as possible cover. Burns and Carbery should be on the beach.
He put no shape on the game when it was in the mix. He is a flat track bully and very limited in terms of his athleticism and pace. Too often Ross melts when his pack is squeezed. He has done that for Ireland several times and I think he was a leading contributor, with others, to us losing our grip on the match in Marseille. In fairness, Champions Cup matches against Northampton and Ulster (at the Aviva) and Exeter away are occasions where he came good in pressure games. He has had 7 years and approaching 130 Leinster caps to develop, usually with a dominant pack paving the way.

His brother, Harry, is both a bit faster and a significantly better passer of the ball - in fact he looks like the best passer in the 10 position that I can remember, bringing real pace and angles to a team's attack.

Sure Harry is not yet the decision-maker that Ross is, but Ross has had about 90 more caps and 4 more years to get to where he is.
I was unfamiliar with the term flat track bully so here is what the internet tells us:
A flat-track bully is a term used in cricket describing a player or a team that towers over inferior sides, but fails to win over opponents that are of higher or similar standing. Flat-track bullies usually earn several runs against inferior opponents but lesser runs against superior opponents.

So basically a team or player who is considered good until they meet a superior team or player and are then shown to be not good.

Is this not the essential premise of all sport?
The flat track bit refers to the type wicket.
If it's flat it's very hard to take wickets but equally it's hard to score runs. Good spinners like Shane Warne could exploit a flat track but lessor teams just wouldn't have that kind of firepower.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:41 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: June 9th, 2022, 12:12 pm Since the team announcement we have gone from -16 to -18 point favorites on Paddy Powers.

That's unusual! :shock:
I have a bad feeling we could be mugged here
I don’t know. I keep reading in the media about the Bulls great run of form; their most recent regular season games are as follows, beat the Ospreys, they’re poor this year, Warriors a bit meh as we saw last weekend, Benneton again fair to middling, Ulster – no doubt Coetzee’s insider knowledge helped a bit, and then the Dragons. Before that they lost to the Stormers away and Sharks at home. Their quarter final was a tight one. The only win that would make you sit up and take notice is Ulster really, you’d expect them to beat everyone else in fairness.
Even looking at the players I was never totally convinced by Botha while at Munster, he is a starter for them. They are an interesting mix of old stagers and young players with a bit of gold dust like Coetzee thrown in. I know they’ll bring a level of grunt and gnarl but if we front up in the forwards we should get home ok. The one risk is RB performing behind a pack that’s going backwards, if he gets a platform, he'll be fine, in case of emergency Sexton comes on. Nice for J10 to be involved in a match where he is not the oldest 10 in either squad.
Really interesting McCarthy seems to have leapfrogged Molony - not sure I’d see it that way just yet, but he’ll have zero respect for reputations and will just tear into them. Need a big game from Conan he hasn’t been on top form of late and can be somewhat muted against bigger packs/men. Noticed the Bulls don’t have subs they have "Impact", Sweet Mother of Divine Jesus. :roll: