Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Leinster v Bulls Friday RDS 19:35 TG4

Post by leinsterforever »

riocard911 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 6:09 pm I think, that Leinster, if they make the URC final, which is to be played in Dublin, should be attempting to get at least as many people to attend in the Aviva as showed up to a dead rubber match there vs Munster a few weeks previously, regardless of whether the opposition is Ulster or the Stormers.
It's not really a valid comparison, is it? They had months to sell tickets for a game that was certain to happen (barring something completely out of the ordinary) for the Munster game.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: June 6th, 2022, 6:09 pm I'm going to misquote Dave Cahill here, once you hit a certain level of ticket sales the cost to sell more ramps pretty steeply. So there isn't a huge financial gain once you hit like 25k-30k.
What specifically does that mean?

The financial gain in the Aviva between a 'break even' crowd (which I believe is around that mark) and a full house would be huge.

I think you might be misconstruing this concept. It's definitely *harder* to sell tickets beyond a certain threshold because you're into fans who don't attend.

But it's not considerably more expensive and there is clearly a financial gain between having a half full and a full stadium.

(Personally I'm sure who that money goes to for a URC final, is it IRFU, Leinster branch or the URC itself, but that's a different point.)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

leinsterforever wrote: June 6th, 2022, 7:09 pm
riocard911 wrote: June 6th, 2022, 6:09 pm I think, that Leinster, if they make the URC final, which is to be played in Dublin, should be attempting to get at least as many people to attend in the Aviva as showed up to a dead rubber match there vs Munster a few weeks previously, regardless of whether the opposition is Ulster or the Stormers.
It's not really a valid comparison, is it? They had months to sell tickets for a game that was certain to happen (barring something completely out of the ordinary) for the Munster game.
What about the Toulouse game then, which was a week to sell them?
That's a good comparison.

We got 40k+ for that with no control over ticket prices.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Dead rubber match was included with our season tickets. Not quite the same.

The first match after a HEC final has always been a small crowd and a lot of fans would have looked at tickets for a potential semi and final rather than also invest in the quarter which we were very confident of winning. The Glasgow one was easy to miss. I think a semi and final will sell reasonably well. Think we'd sell out the RDS (or come close enough to it).
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

That was a good showing despite the messing around with the fixture. But it was a regular season game and when the tickets were sold it wasn’t a dead rubber. Was originally slated for the Munster away game iirc. That game was swapped with the rescheduled Munster away game which in turn had been switched with the ulster away game.
Which was played during 6 nations.

I’d be quite happy to go to the rds for another final for maybe the last time if we can’t shift 25k tickets which I think we’ll struggle with.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

wixfjord wrote: June 6th, 2022, 7:11 pm
leinsterforever wrote: June 6th, 2022, 7:09 pm
What about the Toulouse game then, which was a week to sell them?
That's a good comparison.

We got 40k+ for that with no control over ticket prices.
Yeah, I suppose...
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I really hope there’s a big crowd with an electric atmosphere and that the Bulls provide a massive test.

Leinster is over reliant on a core group of 10-15k STHs and really need to develop marketing and sales to appeal to, and capture, more attendees.

Bulls vs Sharks was a great game with intensity both on the pitch and amongst the reduced attendance. I hope the RDS is electric on Friday
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

A Leinster v Ulster final, should it pan out that way, would almost certainly be in the Aviva and I'd be very disappointed if there weren't at least 40k there. Leinster v Stormers, that would be a different matter - personally I'd say they'd go for the Aviva, but a lot will depend on the URC, they'd have a huge say in it as they run the final
I have Bumbleflex
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

[quote="Dave Cahill" post_id=805442 time=1654550521 user_id=24
Leinster v Stormers, that would be a different matter - personally I'd say they'd go for the Aviva, but a lot will depend on the URC, they'd have a huge say in it as they run the final
[/quote]

Surely a jam packed RDS would appeal to the URC and it’s partners rather than a 1/2 empty Aviva in this scenario?

Optics and all that?

Of course the lack of corporate hospitality might not suit the sponsors. And the URC are going to have to suit them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:40 am

Yeah, I love the RDS too. Much prefer it to Lansdowne. It's certainly not perfect as a stadium, but as a venue it's really good.
I prefer the RDS but understand why some would prefer the Aviva. It's objectively a better stadium and depending on where you like to sit, the experience can be far better.

Aviva is a day out. Streets are closed, it takes over the place.

RDS feels so different. More local. You sit where you want in the north or south stands which favours groups, and kids and last minute decisions to go.

It's like comparing the Vicar St to the 3 Arena. Some gigs are better in one, some in the other. Some fans go to both, some don't.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 6th, 2022, 10:22 pm A Leinster v Ulster final, should it pan out that way, would almost certainly be in the Aviva and I'd be very disappointed if there weren't at least 40k there. Leinster v Stormers, that would be a different matter - personally I'd say they'd go for the Aviva, but a lot will depend on the URC, they'd have a huge say in it as they run the final
Ulster would likely be in the Aviva though the last Pro final we played vs Ulster was in the RDS. I'm not sure the RDS would even be filled for the Stormers. We are now into summer people are at GAA, golf, Ireland soccer, summer holidays, kids are doing exams and as a few have said habits have been broken by Covid.

Anyway, first priority is to get there!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

FRIDAY, JUNE 10

Leinster v Vodacom Bulls

RDS Arena, Dublin – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

Referee: Andrea Piardi (FIR, 24 league game)

AR 1: Craig Evans (WRU) AR 2: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR)

TMO: Matteo Lipperini (FIR)
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

neill_m wrote: June 7th, 2022, 11:29 am FRIDAY, JUNE 10

Leinster v Vodacom Bulls

RDS Arena, Dublin – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA

Referee: Andrea Piardi (FIR, 24 league game)

AR 1: Craig Evans (WRU) AR 2: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR)

TMO: Matteo Lipperini (FIR)
I like Piardi as a ref. He's goes to the TMO but then makes his own decision based on the evidence. Gray could have had a red card on Saturday and I'm fairly sure Baird would have got the try in the corner so a penalty try would have been a fair call. I don't have a problem that he felt differently.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

wixfjord wrote: June 6th, 2022, 3:26 pm
Leinster Rugby head coach Leo Cullen has given a squad injury update ahead of Friday's URC semi-final against Vodacom Bulls at the RDS Arena (KO 7.35pm - LIVE on TG4, Premier Sports, SuperSport and URC TV).

Tighthead prop Tadhg Furlong was replaced in the Glasgow Warriors game as a precaution with a back injury and will be further assessed this week.

Hugo Keenan missed the URC quarter-final clash but he will return to full training this week.

Johnny Sexton (ankle) and James Lowe (shin) also sat out the win over Glasgow and will be further assessed this week before a decision is made on their availability.

James Tracy stepped up his rehabilitation programme last week and will continue to do so again as he looks to return from a neck injury.

Rónan Kelleher (shoulder) remains unavailable for selection this week and continues to be assessed.

There are no further updates on:

Tommy O’Brien (knee), Dave Kearney (hamstring) and Will Connors (knee).
If Hugo Keenan got an operation on his injured hand it must've been a very quick or very minimal one.

Looks like J10 trained today as did Tadhg. No J Lowe in the images albeit.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775821232/
A hand operation doesn't stop you getting back out running around, which is what Andy Farrell will want from him as well.

I was walking the dog around UCD yesterday and saw the full squad training together. Despite his back strain Tadhg was moving at real pace through the passing drills.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

backrower8 wrote: June 7th, 2022, 12:28 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 6th, 2022, 3:26 pm

A hand operation doesn't stop you getting back out running around, which is what Andy Farrell will want from him as well.

I was walking the dog around UCD yesterday and saw the full squad training together. Despite his back strain Tadhg was moving at real pace through the passing drills.
He's not just running around, he's back to full training and available for the weekend according to that injury update.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Our 11th League SF and only losing to Scarlets in 2017
All played in the RDS, the boys keep bringing home the bacon.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

12th. We only missed 2015. We have been in every final bar Munster Glasgow in 2015 and Munster Scarlets in 20 17
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

johng wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:32 am 12th. We only missed 2015. We have been in every final bar Munster Glasgow in 2015 and Munster Scarlets in 20 17
Correct, enjoyed both those finals all the same.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

By my reckoning, since League play offs and a grand final were introduced in the 2009-2010 season, there have been 12 Finals of which Leinster has contested 10 of them, winning 6.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:32 am 12th. We only missed 2015. We have been in every final bar Munster Glasgow in 2015 and Munster Scarlets in 20 17
Interesting when you see it that way. Will be harder in future with better opposition.