Leinster v Glasgow URC Q/F Sat 4th June 15:15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Glasgow URC Q/F Sat 4th June 15:15

Post by wixfjord »

alanair wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:19 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:09 pm Is Baird now being seen as predominately a 6 in coaches eyes I wonder?

With McCarthy/Jenkins/Molony/Ryan we're looking more deep at second row for next year and maybe the decision has been made to let him play a more natural wide game at 6 than try to force him into a tigher second row role?
Starting to get excited about this one now ... Memory of last week salved :)
Need something to solve the depression as a Leinster/Liverpool supporter!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I feel if we'd won last week this won't be the team (in the main) we'd be seeing this week and for this reason I feel sorry for a lot of the Guys who did us proud in SA and in the Game against Munster. I think even for bench options we could have been a bit more expansive. I think we could have left Molony, Henshaw or Conan out altogether and maybe had Ruddock, Deegan or Penny in there.

Look at the end of the day it's a real 'first world' rugby complaint but I think those guys have earned a shot and wouldn't have weakened the side much if at all.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Penny in particular should be given more of a shot imo. Starting him here and resting VDF would've been a good option.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I’ve got to say it winds me up that Lowe was picked last week when he wasn’t right. Okay maybe you start him but why wasn’t Larmour on the bench? Frawley didn’t even get on and we had a clear need for back three cover, plus Larmour had played brilliantly the week before. Bad bad call and one that was predictable beforehand IMO. It’s even worse if Hugo was struggling too but that’s not as clear.

Like the look of the team anyway. I’d hope Big Joe will add the kind of power that will help get more out of the others. Although again I don’t see why he’d be trusted to start against Munster and the game tomorrow but not be given longer last weekend.

Great to have Baird back, didn’t expect to see him and he was great against Munster. It’s funny, I said for ages that I thought he should be seen as a 6 but then with Dunne and Ryan not kicking on and the someone like Soroka waiting in the wings it looked like he’d be needed too much for the second row. But now with Big Joe’s emergence and one big performance against Munster I’m back to thinking Baird to 6 is a goer. I’m glad he’s seen as an option there anyway, no reason he can’t play both.

Nice to see Frawley get another start in a big game. I’d expect much better performances from JGP (I’d mentioned his good defence last week but thought he had a bad game) and Ross.

I do think we’ll get a reaction tomorrow, looking forward to it.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I am very concerned at how many are doubling-up from last Saturday, especially six starters in the pack plus JGP. Extremely hard to overcome the mental dip in a week.

Do we feel we need to play them given that it is a pretty experienced and gnarled Glasgow 23?

I would have freshened it up more at 3, 7 and maybe 9. I definitely would have preferred to see Harry start over Ross as well.

Also, surely at this stage McKee would be worthy over Cronin who's line-out throwing was a liability against Munster?
Long time lurker
Beginner

Post by Long time lurker »

VDF will be flogged. I would have rested him and played Penny.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Long time lurker wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 1:30 pm VDF will be flogged. I would have rested him and played Penny.
8 games in over 3 months.

It will add up to a long season, he's getting breaks though.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

backrower8 wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 1:16 pm I am very concerned at how many are doubling-up from last Saturday, especially six starters in the pack plus JGP. Extremely hard to overcome the mental dip in a week.

Do we feel we need to play them given that it is a pretty experienced and gnarled Glasgow 23?

I would have freshened it up more at 3, 7 and maybe 9. I definitely would have preferred to see Harry start over Ross as well.

Also, surely at this stage McKee would be worthy over Cronin who's line-out throwing was a liability against Munster?
I'd say they can't wait to get back on the pitch and right a wrong. Cronin's throwing over the years has not been an issue for Leinster at least, we invariably finished with top 5 lineout stats.

Great looking team, looking forward to this game!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 1:47 pm
Long time lurker wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 1:30 pm VDF will be flogged. I would have rested him and played Penny.
8 games in over 3 months.

It will add up to a long season, he's getting breaks though.
VdeF has one of the best engines I've seen in the game. He's the Terminator in a red scrum cap
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Cronin is on his last legs unfortunately. 50/50 call between him and McKee with experience probably winning out.

We may struggle a bit if Kelleher/JT are out for the season though.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:26 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:09 pm Is Baird now being seen as predominately a 6 in coaches eyes I wonder?

With McCarthy/Jenkins/Molony/Ryan we're looking more deep at second row for next year and maybe the decision has been made to let him play a more natural wide game at 6 than try to force him into a tigher second row role?
Wash the red side of your mouth out.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Hey ... Just be thankful you're not from Kildare !!!
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

18 point spread with the bookies, seems a bit generous for us don’t you think?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Well it was déjà vu all over again... again!

This time it was meant to be different. Leinster would be too quick for the big La Rochelle pack that slowed them down the previous season. Everyone said so! If you scanned the media coverage in all interested countries before the final no one seemed to give La Rochelle a prayer. This was a French team playing a final in France but still almighty Leinster were set to destroy them apparently.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Amen!
Dont Panic!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

testify
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Yeah, I thought the same thing myself. It's an exciting prospect – he's a phenomenal athlete.

When he was in the academy he posted these huge CMJ numbers that were way higher than any forward had posted before, plus he had 10+m/s time last year [link:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ireland- ... -leinster/ ]. From what I heard a couple of years ago, he had a very good Bronco score, one of the top three forwards. Looks like it could be a great fit for him.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Rumour doing the rounds that Lifestyle Sports in Limerick has sold its Leinster shirt ahead of the game tomorrow
I have Bumbleflex
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

alanair wrote:
alanair wrote: June 3rd, 2022, 12:19 pm Starting to get excited about this one now ... Memory of last week salved :)
Hey ... Just be thankful you're not from Kildare !!!
Too soon :(
Leinsterimp
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterimp »

Gibson-Park will be getting offers for the lead in the pantomime at Christmas