Leinster v La Rochelle Heineken Cup Final Sat 28th May 4.45 Marseille

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
Forum for requesting, offering and discussing Champions Cup Final Tickets, Travel and Accommodation. Anyone suspected of being involved in buying or selling these for above face value will be immediately banned.

Posts which breach forum rules may be edited or removed without warning
- No Email addresses or phone numbers. PM ONLY. Please note that Private Messages remain in your outbox until they have been read by the recipient.
- Always list the price in your post. Failure to do so will result in your post being rejected.
- Offers / Requests: Once sorted out, please edit your post and change the text of the post to SORTED or GONE. We will then remove the post.
- No Topic spamming (same request / offer in multiple topics) - all will be removed.
- No Bumping your offers / requests (quoting own post to say tickets still needed / offered, etc.) - all will be removed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Leinster v La Rochelle Heineken Cup Final Sat 28th May 4.45 Marseille

Post by ronk »

There are different ways to see this game. It's a South of France final against a South of France team. They beat us last year and will be more experienced for the final this time around. They have a very powerful pack which is basically our kryptonite.

We've lost Fardy and haven't recruited particularly strongly.

This year we've looked good and have had a hard route to the final but we've been driven by a sense of injustice over the Montpellier away game. La Rochelle had an easy run, didn't really leave France and hard games were all against well known T14 opposition. Their toughest overseas trip was a Covid draw. Their half of the draw was light on previous winners.

Ultimately we're coming in with the prep we would have wanted, form and the belief that we can win.

Their coaching team will have looked at us coughing up points from midfielded kicks and missing pillar defence.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

It's a Mediterranean final against an Atlantic team. :wink:
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Tried finding highlights of La Rochelle v Stade online. If anyone has seen it how fit did Skelton look when he came off the bench? Only footage of him I can find online is in the middle of a maul. The smoke and mirrors will he/wont he play seems a little bit attention craving, loved Leo's response.
Would rather beat them with Skelton playing tbh.
Vito would be a loss for them.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I am conceerned at how we will cope with 25-30 degree heat (iPhone weather app currently showing 30 degrees and windy for Marseille on Saturday?

Will we go down earlier in the week to acclimatise?

LR are used to similar temperatures, but their big men still won't cope as well with a high tempo game. No matter what way you look at it, the heat is an issue and the tournament organisers have to be criticised for that venue, at this time of year for our sport. Paris on a non-Champions League final night would give the French the Final they desire.
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

In fairness it isn't being played out of season. French season sees a multitude of games in such conditions at the business end of their competition.
If there is a decent wind as forecasted and humidity levels showing are relatively mild, it should still be challenging but not debilitatingly so. Dealing with different conditions, managing referees as well as overcoming opposition is all part of the parcel to success.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I am confused by what our best option is as regards our substitutes. With Frawley (likely) and Tommy both out, we don't really have good outside backs cover. I loved Larmour's performance on Saturday, but I don't have the confidence needed for the high altar of a European Final. He is a different type of Tony Ward - hugely talented but doesn't connect to the rest of his team and still 50/50 under the high ball.

With Baird and McCarthy going so well on Saturday, I am very tempted by a Dan, Cian, Mike, Joe, Baird & Rhys combo. All big, explosive players. With Luke and Ross the final two. But that is going away from our best formula, which is to stretch them....so, more likely that Leo will go for:

Dan, Cian, Mike, Baird, Rhys, Luke, Roos, Jordan.

I think Joe was picked because Baird's fitness wasn't where it needed to be. With a run-out for the As and now last Saturday under his belt, I think Baird has more experience and general impact (including lineout) and will get the nod over Joe. We shall see.
Last edited by backrower8 on May 23rd, 2022, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Reading the rugby papers prepared for the Southwest of France gives a more balanced view of La Rochelle than RO'G's prepared for Irish consumption' comments.

Last Sunday week against Racing 92, LAR got a result, but not a performance. On Saturday against Stade Francais, LAR produced both a performance and a result, but with a fairly different team and using a different Game Plan. That, more than questions about selecting semi-injured or recovering players, provides the biggest challenge for RO'G and Ryan and their coaching colleagues for next weekend.

Do they focus on themselves and their game, or do they focus, as last year, on devising a plan to stop or disrupt Leinster? Saturday's performance against Stade was completely concentrated on replicating the La Rochelle style which has been successful in the Top 14 since November. Notwithstanding West's kicking performance against R92, LAR did not flow in the same way in the semi-final and some French commentators claim this was because LAR tried to rehearse their Leinster game plan against a French running team. Is that analysis by hindsight or a true examination of a poor display by LAR?

O'Gara only selected two players in the same positions for the 6-day, travelling, turn-around, to get back to Paris last Saturday. Cullen would appreciate that such a schedule provides it's own difficulties, never mind what's coming a week later. However, two of the big revisions by LAR were the selection of Botia & Danty together in the centre, and naming Club Captain Sazy to start in the second-row alongside Sanguy.

If Molony is the "glue" of the Leinster pack, Sazy is the "Araldite" of the La Rochelle team. Club captain for more than eight seasons. Despite being capped by the French Barbarians a number of times, Sazy is uncapped during a decade when France named more than 30 different players in that position. However, it is no exaggeration to say that Sazy is the emotional heartbeat of this team and Club and many fans and former players have called for his inclusion next weekend. He reached his 300th appearance milestone in March and his 35th b'day last November. He has been playing Top 14 rugby since 2006. He has already played 1,200 minutes this season but, on the other hand is reknowned for his fitness. Sazy is the same height as Molony but possibly 5kg lighter. It now looks like the "glue" may face the "Araldite" next Saturday.

So then it comes to the core overseas contingent - Kerr-Barlow, West, Botia, Vito and Skelton. (There are others but these five are the highest profile). Normally five starters but it's possible that as many as three will be injury risks at best next Saturday. If all three are missing, it's very possible that RO'G may not have the option to play his preferred game plan on Saturday, but will just have to do with what worked against Stade Francais. Maybe that's not a bad hand to be dealt?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

backrower8 wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:06 am I am confused by what our best option is as regards our substitutes. With Frawley (likely) and Tommy both out, we don't really have good outside backs cover. I loved Larmour's performance on Saturday, but I don't have the confidence needed for the high altar of a European Final. He is a different type of Tony Ward - hugely talented but doesn't connect to the rest of his team and still 50/50 under the high ball.

With Baird and McCarthy going so well on Saturday, I am very tempted by a Dan, Cian, Mike, Joe, Baird & Rhys combo. All big, explosive players. With Luke and Ross the final two. But that is going away from our best formula, which is to stretch them....so, more likely that Leo will go for:

I thinkJoe was picke because Baird's fitness wasn't where it needed to be. With a run-out for the As and now last Saturday under his belt, I think Baird has more experience and general impact (including lineout) and will get the nod over Joe. We shall see.
Looks like Frawley will be available so Leo has a nice selection headache. Jordan is a bit more than what you say in my view, he's 30 caps for Ireland to prove that. Ultimately, he's not go the height but with ball in hand he's incredible and you'd love to see him run at their big men. Frawley is in super form too and having 2 distributors on the pitch at 10 and 12 is a great place to be - his cross field kick against Munster was sublime.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

SoupyNorman wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:04 am In fairness it isn't being played out of season. French season sees a multitude of games in such conditions at the business end of their competition.
If there is a decent wind as forecasted and humidity levels showing are relatively mild, it should still be challenging but not debilitatingly so. Dealing with different conditions, managing referees as well as overcoming opposition is all part of the parcel to success.
I think that is a bit contrived. The business-end of the Champions Cup is played by Irish, English and French teams. Only the French are used to that heat.

Four finals out of 26 have been played south of the two played in Paris. Bordeaux, 1998, Lyon 2016, Bilbao 2018 and this year.

Saturday's final is the most southerly final ever, along with Bilbao, which doesn't get quite as hot and has a more temperate climate overall.

For me heat (30 degrees forecast for the hottest part of Saturday) should not be allowed to be a factor in the defining match of the premier club tournament in the world.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:21 am
backrower8 wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:06 am I am confused by what our best option is as regards our substitutes. With Frawley (likely) and Tommy both out, we don't really have good outside backs cover. I loved Larmour's performance on Saturday, but I don't have the confidence needed for the high altar of a European Final. He is a different type of Tony Ward - hugely talented but doesn't connect to the rest of his team and still 50/50 under the high ball.

I thinkJoe was picke because Baird's fitness wasn't where it needed to be. With a run-out for the As and now last Saturday under his belt, I think Baird has more experience and general impact (including lineout) and will get the nod over Joe. We shall see.
Looks like Frawley will be available so Leo has a nice selection headache. Jordan is a bit more than what you say in my view, he's 30 caps for Ireland to prove that. Ultimately, he's not go the height but with ball in hand he's incredible and you'd love to see him run at their big men. Frawley is in super form too and having 2 distributors on the pitch at 10 and 12 is a great place to be - his cross field kick against Munster was sublime.
So you think it will be 5-3. Any thoughts on Baird or Joe?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Does anyone know when we are travelling to Marseille?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:11 am Reading the rugby papers prepared for the Southwest of France gives a more balanced view of La Rochelle than RO'G's prepared for Irish consumption' comments.

Last Sunday week against Racing 92, LAR got a result, but not a performance. On Saturday against Stade Francais, LAR produced both a performance and a result, but with a fairly different team and using a different Game Plan. That, more than questions about selecting semi-injured or recovering players, provides the biggest challenge for RO'G and Ryan and their coaching colleagues for next weekend.

Do they focus on themselves and their game, or do they focus, as last year, on devising a plan to stop or disrupt Leinster? Saturday's performance against Stade was completely concentrated on replicating the La Rochelle style which has been successful in the Top 14 since November. Notwithstanding West's kicking performance against R92, LAR did not flow in the same way in the semi-final and some French commentators claim this was because LAR tried to rehearse their Leinster game plan against a French running team. Is that analysis by hindsight or a true examination of a poor display by LAR?

O'Gara only selected two players in the same positions for the 6-day, travelling, turn-around, to get back to Paris last Saturday. Cullen would appreciate that such a schedule provides it's own difficulties, never mind what's coming a week later. However, two of the big revisions by LAR were the selection of Botia & Danty together in the centre, and naming Club Captain Sazy to start in the second-row alongside Sanguy.

If Molony is the "glue" of the Leinster pack, Sazy is the "Araldite" of the La Rochelle team. Club captain for more than eight seasons. Despite being capped by the French Barbarians a number of times, Sazy is uncapped during a decade when France named more than 30 different players in that position. However, it is no exaggeration to say that Sazy is the emotional heartbeat of this team and Club and many fans and former players have called for his inclusion next weekend. He reached his 300th appearance milestone in March and his 35th b'day last November. He has been playing Top 14 rugby since 2006. He has already played 1,200 minutes this season but, on the other hand is reknowned for his fitness. Sazy is the same height as Molony but possibly 5kg lighter. It now looks like the "glue" may face the "Araldite" next Saturday.

So then it comes to the core overseas contingent - Kerr-Barlow, West, Botia, Vito and Skelton. (There are others but these five are the highest profile). Normally five starters but it's possible that as many as three will be injury risks at best next Saturday. If all three are missing, it's very possible that RO'G may not have the option to play his preferred game plan on Saturday, but will just have to do with what worked against Stade Francais. Maybe that's not a bad hand to be dealt?
Very interesting post. Tnx
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

backrower8 wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:23 am
Flash Gordon wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:21 am

So you think it will be 5-3. Any thoughts on Baird or Joe?
Think he'll go 6-2, the big lads will be playing in 25-30 degree temperatures, we'll need fresh legs. Another nice headache for Leo on your question. I think we'll try to play a high tempo game so possibly Baird. You'd be happy with either option though!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jordan has already played a Heineken Cup final, so would have no fear of him coming in.

6/2 would give us really good forward bench impact, but is a bit risky imo when neither McGrath or Ross are really an option for a position outside halfback.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Heat and fitness will be an issue. 30 degrees forecast, I've played in 25+ (a long time ago) and it is really debilitating. 6-2 would seem the way to go.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

the spoofer wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:45 am Heat and fitness will be an issue. 30 degrees forecast, I've played in 25+ (a long time ago) and it is really debilitating. 6-2 would seem the way to go.
Will we ever see the hybrid back/forward player on the benches? In a pinch you could bring someone like Penny up to speed on back play, so effectively they'd be covering 6-8 and the outside backs
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 11:43 am Jordan has already played a Heineken Cup final, so would have no fear of him coming in.

6/2 would give us really good forward bench impact, but is a bit risky imo when neither McGrath or Ross are really an option for a position outside halfback.
The option on a 6-2 split could be to have frawley instead of Ross, which I know would be a very big call to make, but would ensure a wider cover on a number of back positions. I also think heat is going to be a big issue. It hasn’t been said but I believe our team ran out of power more due to heat in LAR last year than anything else
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/injury-upd ... cup-final/

Facial injury for Frawley, assessed as week goes on. Furlong, Lowe and McCarthy to step up training.

Kelleher fully fit.

Shoulder injury for Foley, to be assessed.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

cormac wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 2:10 pm https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/injury-upd ... cup-final/

Facial injury for Frawley, assessed as week goes on. Furlong, Lowe and McCarthy to step up training.

Kelleher fully fit.

Shoulder injury for Foley, to be assessed.
Hope it’s only short term injury for foley, he looks a real option at scrum half and will only get better with games
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hopefully foley is back for preseason, encouraging performance from him.