Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

Post by hugonaut »

molloyjh wrote: May 24th, 2022, 11:12 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 24th, 2022, 11:04 am Being honest, they looked about 3 to 6 months away from hearing a big CLICK, and then they’ll be good again…
I’m not so sure. We’ve seen glimpses of what they’ve been trying to do at various times throughout the season, even early on in the season. If it was going to click it would have done so by now surely? Larkham has been there long enough. It’s hard to see his tenure there as anything other than a failure really.
I agree MJH. They had a very good win away against a strong Scarlets early in the season [13-43] with probably the youngest team that van Graan has picked in his entire time at Munster [link: https://www.munsterrugby.ie/report/repo ... ets#report ].

At the other end of the season, they also had a good win and a good performance against Cardiff in Musgrave in late April. They played good rugby in both games. But between them – and there was a long time between them – I wouldn't be very complimentary at all.

Larkham has feet of clay as a coach. He has done such an ordinary job. He was a great player and everyone likes him, so all the blame goes on van Graan, who wasn't a player at all. But if it was Brian Walsh from Con coaching the backs [as it was under Foley], he'd be absolutely excoriated.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ronk wrote: May 24th, 2022, 7:17 pm There's an inertia to change in Munster. And it runs surprisingly deep. An example that always stands out for me is Nick Williams. Not world class but a potentially effective player. They liked the upside of his carrying but fans and players (my opinion) didn't like the downside and didn't want to carry him.
Nick Williams thought that everybody in the team didn't like him because they kept on slagging him. "We slag everybody, that's part of Munster." Good idea lads – alienate a guy who would go on to be IRUPA Player of the Year and Pro14 Player of the Year to the extent that he's so unhappy that his form drops off a cliff.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:12 pm
ronk wrote: May 24th, 2022, 7:17 pm There's an inertia to change in Munster. And it runs surprisingly deep. An example that always stands out for me is Nick Williams. Not world class but a potentially effective player. They liked the upside of his carrying but fans and players (my opinion) didn't like the downside and didn't want to carry him.
Nick Williams thought that everybody in the team didn't like him because they kept on slagging him. "We slag everybody, that's part of Munster." Good idea lads – alienate a guy who would go on to be IRUPA Player of the Year and Pro14 Player of the Year to the extent that he's so unhappy that his form drops off a cliff.
Seriously? I hadn't heard that.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:16 pm
Seriously? I hadn't heard that.
Yep.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They loved James Coughlan though.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Big, affable, 'gentle giant' sort of guy from a Pacific Island background, who probably wouldn't understand that ultra-slagging culture. Also not the hardest trainer, which they would despise down there with the almost manic-like (excessive) hours and accuracy demanded by POC, Flannery etc. at that time. I've also heard in Munster that the sense of hierarchy between established players and more junior players is massive, damaging the camaraderie (compared to Ulster or Leinster, where the culture is more open and accepting of junior players and outsiders).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

neiliog93 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:58 pm
hugonaut wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:12 pmNick Williams thought that everybody in the team didn't like him because they kept on slagging him. "We slag everybody, that's part of Munster." Good idea lads – alienate a guy who would go on to be IRUPA Player of the Year and Pro14 Player of the Year to the extent that he's so unhappy that his form drops off a cliff.
Big, affable, 'gentle giant' sort of guy from a Pacific Island background, who probably wouldn't understand that ultra-slagging culture. Also not the hardest trainer, which they would despise down there with the almost manic-like (excessive) hours and accuracy demanded by POC, Flannery etc. at that time. I've also heard in Munster that the sense of hierarchy between established players and more junior players is massive, damaging the camaraderie (compared to Ulster or Leinster, where the culture is more open and accepting of junior players and outsiders).
I always think of this with Nick Williams which definitely matches that sense of him.

https://vimeo.com/380547697
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Always thought NW was a hit and miss sort of player.
Good player but not a great player.
Relied on natural strength and size, fitness being optional.
His form might not have dropped off a cliff if he'd paid a bit more attention to his temple.
Added to that he's just one of the many "great" signings made by Munster.
The inertia point is spot on btw.
Keep trying to buy success rather than develop it.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

One thing that hasn't drawn much commentary is the number of penalties conceded by McCarthy last week. Had to be 4 or 5. Some were unlucky (taking the 9 out) but lots were daft.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

the spoofer wrote: May 27th, 2022, 11:36 am One thing that hasn't drawn much commentary is the number of penalties conceded by McCarthy last week. Had to be 4 or 5. Some were unlucky (taking the 9 out) but lots were daft.
Frank Murphy