Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TMC
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

Post by TMC »

backrower8 wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:33 pm Cian won't be seriously challenged at TH facing either Josh W or Loughman.

Very, very odd to think that he might be seen as back up to Big Mike when Vakh is in the squad (and did well against Kitshoff in SA).

I think Cian's selection is a back-up option and that Vakh is the more realistic sub to Big Mike if tadhg doesn't come through. Clarkson will not be doing less than 60 minutes as we don't want Cian sapping his legs with 30 minutes or more - hence Clarkson is not an option for bencjhing next week.

Additionally, I hate the idea of Ed Byrne facing any La Rochelle tight head in a final.
Was reading the thread and this struck me straight away too, why no Vakh? I was expecting him and Clarkson to get a half each to audition for the bench next week. Would put me in the glass half empty camp re TF's fitness for next weekend.

A number of excellent servants to Leinster playing potentially in their last home game. Hope they sign off and keep their standards high in their last outing in blue. The fan in me would have started Dev, just shows emotion doesn't get a seat at the table (unless you're BOD)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 20th, 2022, 3:48 pm Regardless of Furlong's injury status I'm at a loss again as to why the Healy thing was shelved completely when one injury seemingly leads to him being a TH option again, and of course it would potentially end up being for our biggest game of the season. Even just two 20 minute sub appearances since September/October and I'd get it, but nothing at all just makes no sense to me. It's not like we've been short of LHs looking for game time either.
Healy tried tighthead then pivoted back for the autumn Internationals. Then Covid blew a massive hole in the season, then we were playing Heineken Cup chasing points then 6N, then 4 knockout games and a tour to SA he was never going on. All with an injury to Porter in the middle.

There might have been a plan to give Healy more time at tighthead, but if there was it was cancelled due to changing circumstances.

Healy could be playing 18 because he might wear that jersey next week. Or maybe there's a problem with Abdaladze. Or maybe it's a good chance before the Ireland tour. Or maybe it's a contingency plan in case Furlong goes down early and there's a risk of going to to 14 if Alaalatoa gets a knock.
Long time lurker
Beginner

Post by Long time lurker »

If Vakh is injured again, then his career thus far, is a total write off. Seems like Healy may be involved at th next week, which would put Ed Byrne into the 23 as lh sub. Not very bueno!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jesus Ed Byrne gets a rough time on here for some reason.

Delighted to see him captain tomorrow.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I wonder is (are?) Leocaster seeing Rog’s “oh I don’t know if big Willie Skeleton will be playing or not “ and raising them an “well then we’re not sure of BB Tadgh will be playing or not”
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:I wonder is (are?) Leocaster seeing Rog’s “oh I don’t know if big Willie Skeleton will be playing or not “ and raising them an “well then we’re not sure of BB Tadgh will be playing or not”
That’s what I was thinking. Given the speculation on here, I’d imagine ROG and the brainstrust at LAR must be in bits.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:19 pm I wonder is (are?) Leocaster seeing Rog’s “oh I don’t know if big Willie Skeleton will be playing or not “ and raising them an “well then we’re not sure of BB Tadgh will be playing or not”
That may well be the case also.

I hope it's not because I think our management team are above playing stupid games and making Cian a pawn / making him play in an unfamiliar position the week before a Euro final.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

ronk wrote: May 20th, 2022, 4:48 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 20th, 2022, 3:48 pm Regardless of Furlong's injury status I'm at a loss again as to why the Healy thing was shelved completely when one injury seemingly leads to him being a TH option again, and of course it would potentially end up being for our biggest game of the season. Even just two 20 minute sub appearances since September/October and I'd get it, but nothing at all just makes no sense to me. It's not like we've been short of LHs looking for game time either.
Healy tried tighthead then pivoted back for the autumn Internationals. Then Covid blew a massive hole in the season, then we were playing Heineken Cup chasing points then 6N, then 4 knockout games and a tour to SA he was never going on. All with an injury to Porter in the middle.

There might have been a plan to give Healy more time at tighthead, but if there was it was cancelled due to changing circumstances.

Healy could be playing 18 because he might wear that jersey next week. Or maybe there's a problem with Abdaladze. Or maybe it's a good chance before the Ireland tour. Or maybe it's a contingency plan in case Furlong goes down early and there's a risk of going to to 14 if Alaalatoa gets a knock.
To back that up Healy hasn't played URC games in a row since the 2 after the AIs (when he switched back).

https://all.rugby/player/cian-healy
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:02 pm Jesus Ed Byrne gets a rough time on here for some reason.

+1. Had a great mini tour to SA IMO. Never have a problem with him being selected
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Edit wrong thread
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
D'original
Beginner

Post by D'original »

wixfjord wrote: May 20th, 2022, 7:02 pm Jesus Ed Byrne gets a rough time on here for some reason.

Agree whole heartedly. Have been watching him progress from schoolboy to now captain of Leinster. A lot of 'experts' on this forum might have needed to attend a few 'A' matches over a long period of time before passing judgement on many of the current squad.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

"Cian played tighthead at the start of the season. Someone in the front-row has to be able to play across the front-row now because as you would have witnessed from the Ireland-Italy game, when nobody shifted across for the contested/uncontested scrums piece and you go down to 13 men. It’s just to get ourselves covered if that situation were to arise, depending on what selection happens next week. It’s something that we will look at, that’s why he is covering on the bench. It’s not like we are trying to hide it, he’s in the 18 jersey."

- Leo [source: https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 72852.html ]
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

hugonaut wrote: May 21st, 2022, 7:12 am "Cian played tighthead at the start of the season. Someone in the front-row has to be able to play across the front-row now because as you would have witnessed from the Ireland-Italy game, when nobody shifted across for the contested/uncontested scrums piece and you go down to 13 men. It’s just to get ourselves covered if that situation were to arise, depending on what selection happens next week. It’s something that we will look at, that’s why he is covering on the bench. It’s not like we are trying to hide it, he’s in the 18 jersey."

Paging Tom Court.

Seriously though, Leo is literally an expert in spin. What he’s saying may be true. But, if that were a box they really believed needed ticking, why not tick it before our game against the best scrum in France?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote: May 21st, 2022, 7:15 am
hugonaut wrote: May 21st, 2022, 7:12 am "Cian played tighthead at the start of the season. Someone in the front-row has to be able to play across the front-row now because as you would have witnessed from the Ireland-Italy game, when nobody shifted across for the contested/uncontested scrums piece and you go down to 13 men. It’s just to get ourselves covered if that situation were to arise, depending on what selection happens next week. It’s something that we will look at, that’s why he is covering on the bench. It’s not like we are trying to hide it, he’s in the 18 jersey."

Paging Tom Court.

Seriously though, Leo is literally an expert in spin. What he’s saying may be true. But, if that were a box they really believed needed ticking, why not tick it before our game against the best scrum in France?
It's now double cover as Porter can do the same and it makes sense to (appear to) cover all bases.
chrismcc
Bookworm

Post by chrismcc »

curates_egg wrote: May 21st, 2022, 7:15 am

Paging Tom Court.

There were no dead rubber games prior to the toulouse game. Probably not worth the risk against Leicester.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leo doesn't get enough credit for his deadpan delivery.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: May 21st, 2022, 10:06 am

Leo doesn't get enough credit for his deadpan delivery.
Leo got his training from the Provos. “Whatever you say, say nuthin”
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Great to see Ed Byrne captain. always gives everything to the cause whenever he puts on the jersey. This game is totally winnable
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Really excited to see how a few guys go in a 'big' Aviva derby game I must say.

Clarkson, McCarthy, the halfback pairing and Osborne in particular.

All look more than capable of stepping up a level, so this should be a good test.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeinsterLeader wrote: May 20th, 2022, 8:01 pm

+1. Had a great mini tour to SA IMO. Never have a problem with him being selected
At a guess there's a good few more +1s out there.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.