Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Munster, URC Final Round, Sat. 21st May, 7:15pm, Aviva

Post by blockhead »

Lots of height in the lineout for Nugget to hit.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Munster 2/5 favourites to win (five-to-two on).
Odds not seen ever before for a Leinster-Munster match in Dublin, I would guess.
Hard to dispute their favouritism, based on the respective selections but it does seem a very big price for Leinster.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I had wanted Baird to play 6 a lot but can’t figure out the logic of it for this week either. Hard to figure out who’s in pole position for the bench spot next week now.

Potentially a big opportunity for Clarkson to put his hand up for next week? He’d need to have a stormer but that’s not beyond the bounds of possibility and with Porter and Healy potentially in the squad with him anyway then it could be a goer.

Really like the look of our midfield and it’s great to have Larmour back as well. This is really the kind of game where we need a big game from Harry, hope he delivers.

I’m pretty happy to see Murray starting. He might target Larmour and Russell more than Casey would but I think I’d prefer that to Casey getting them playing at a high tempo.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

cormac wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:08 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:04 pm Dont like Baird at 6. Hope he proves me wrong.
Don't understand why he's at 6 with Murphy at 5.
I think they want Baird as the sub 2nd row, but don't want to tire him more than necessary.

McCarthy was given less than 10 minutes across two matches that were well won well before he was brought on. Baird was given a run out for the A-team last week to start the match-fit process.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Cian won't be seriously challenged at TH facing either Josh W or Loughman.

Very, very odd to think that he might be seen as back up to Big Mike when Vakh is in the squad (and did well against Kitshoff in SA).

I think Cian's selection is a back-up option and that Vakh is the more realistic sub to Big Mike if tadhg doesn't come through. Clarkson will not be doing less than 60 minutes as we don't want Cian sapping his legs with 30 minutes or more - hence Clarkson is not an option for bencjhing next week.

Additionally, I hate the idea of Ed Byrne facing any La Rochelle tight head in a final.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

D4surfer wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:01 pm We need a big game from Harry Byrne
+1. And hopefully we'll get it!!! COYBIB!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It could get spicy between ROL and Conway, always think ROL is particularly up for these games and performs well. JT is another one who always shows up big time in interpros, would have liked him to be available for this one.

A lot of players on both sides will be trying to put their hands up for the NZ tour as well, could be interesting from that POV.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

cormac wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:11 pm
carlow man wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:09 pm What's the crack with Adam Byrne? Guy has been fit afaik for weeks yet no game time at all. I know he's off to connacht but so is rol yet he's getting minutes. Sticking russell in at 14 and not even putting Byrne on the bench is a bit strange. Unless he's downed tools in training but can't see leinster allowing that to happen. Bizarre.
you need to take a closer look at the bench
Lol! Only saw the squad on lr twitter and mistook the A for an R when it said Byrne at number 23!!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

backrower8 wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:33 pm Cian won't be seriously challenged at TH facing either Josh W or Loughman.

Very, very odd to think that he might be seen as back up to Big Mike when Vakh is in the squad (and did well against Kitshoff in SA).

I think Cian's selection is a back-up option and that Vakh is the more realistic sub to Big Mike if tadhg doesn't come through. Clarkson will not be doing less than 60 minutes as we don't want Cian sapping his legs with 30 minutes or more - hence Clarkson is not an option for bencjhing next week.

Additionally, I hate the idea of Ed Byrne facing any La Rochelle tight head in a final.
I was playing with the idea in my head that Healy could be looked at TH cover for next week, it looks like a reality now. Hopefully, we can get 65 to 70 mins out of Porter and if Byrne gets on we're hopefully home and hosed by then
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

carlow man wrote:
cormac wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:11 pm
carlow man wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:09 pm What's the crack with Adam Byrne? Guy has been fit afaik for weeks yet no game time at all. I know he's off to connacht but so is rol yet he's getting minutes. Sticking russell in at 14 and not even putting Byrne on the bench is a bit strange. Unless he's downed tools in training but can't see leinster allowing that to happen. Bizarre.
you need to take a closer look at the bench
Lol! Only saw the squad on lr twitter and mistook the A for an R when it said Byrne at number 23!!
In fairness I initially did the same thing. Was shocked to see Ross involved but took a closer look and realised it was an A in the shitty font that Leinster use
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

D4surfer wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:00 pm Munster: Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Dan Goggin, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Josh Wycherley, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Thomas Ahern; Fineen Wycherley, Alex Kendellen, Jack O’Donoghue (C).

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Jeremy Loughman, Keynan Knox, Jason Jenkins, Jack Daly, Craig Casey, Ben Healy, Rory Scannell.
Interesting to see Fineen move to 6 for this game, not somewhere where we’ve seen him play a lot.

Great to see Ahern, Josh, Knox and Daly included for this game.

I had imagined that Munster would have used this game to target the Leinster scrum by introducing JJ to start, with the Leinster pack being largely second choice players, but I would imagine that the scrums will be fairly even.

Looking at the 2 squads I would say it will be even enough, especially with Leinster having home advantage.

I am hopeful that Munster’s need for a win here should mean a Munster victory, but only a fool would bet against any Leinster team.

I won’t be making the trip myself, but for those of you who are attending, I hope you are a good day.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I'm surprised Dev is a free man, never mind on the bench!
:wink:
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

riocard911 wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:49 pm
seems like we've been saying this all season - and not sure it has happened for him
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

alanair wrote: May 20th, 2022, 2:09 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 20th, 2022, 12:49 pm
seems like we've been saying this all season - and not sure it has happened for him
Harry reminds me of that line from Jerry Maguire, "there's genius everywhere, it's like popcorn in the pan. Some pop... some don't."
Here's hoping he pops. No better stage than Interpro in Lansdowne
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

wixfjord wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:59 am Mmmm, Healy benching at 18 doesn't augur well for Tadhg.
I don't think you can read too much into it. Furlong was never going to be named in this squad so Healy is just there for lack of a better option. It doesn't tell us anything about Furlong's fitness or otherwise.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

allezlesverres wrote: May 20th, 2022, 3:03 pm
wixfjord wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:59 am Mmmm, Healy benching at 18 doesn't augur well for Tadhg.
I don't think you can read too much into it. Furlong was never going to be named in this squad so Healy is just there for lack of a better option. It doesn't tell us anything about Furlong's fitness or otherwise.
They could've easily chosen Vakh at sub TH.

This is the first time Healy has been named in the TH role since the very early days of the season, and it's occurring 7 days before a HEC final when our first choice TH is carrying an injury.

That would be a pretty big coincidence.

We've only chosen Healy McCarthy and Frawley who are likely to be in a 23 next weekend.

At the very least it's an attempt to cover ourselves if Tadhg doesn't make it.

The only other option is they're actually keeping Vakh in reserve to bench next weekend.

But whichever option, it's not a positive indicator for TF's fitness.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

[/quote]
They could've easily chosen Vakh at sub TH.

This is the first time Healy has been named in the TH role since the very early days of the season, and it's occurring 7 days before a HEC final when our first choice TH is carrying an injury.

That would be a pretty big coincidence.

We've only chosen Healy McCarthy and Frawley who are likely to be in a 23 next weekend.

At the very least it's an attempt to cover ourselves if Tadhg doesn't make it.

The only other option is they're actually keeping Vakh in reserve to bench next weekend.

But whichever option, it's not a positive indicator for TF's fitness.
[/quote]

Get off the stage with with your doomsday scenarios will ya! I don't wanna hear it... :cry:
Dont Panic!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Regardless of Furlong's injury status I'm at a loss again as to why the Healy thing was shelved completely when one injury seemingly leads to him being a TH option again, and of course it would potentially end up being for our biggest game of the season. Even just two 20 minute sub appearances since September/October and I'd get it, but nothing at all just makes no sense to me. It's not like we've been short of LHs looking for game time either.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

After a three year absence Leinster are back in the Heineken Champions Cup final.

After a slightly ropey start Leinster kicked into gear and blew Toulouse away with a superb display of attacking rugby. They impressed to the point where everyone in the media is virtually giving them the trophy already. But we all know how tough La Rochelle can be, especially with Ronan O'Gara plotting away. But more of that next week. This week, it's all about fulfilling a fixture!

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: May 20th, 2022, 1:00 pm It could get spicy between ROL and Conway, always think ROL is particularly up for these games and performs well. JT is another one who always shows up big time in interpros, would have liked him to be available for this one.

A lot of players on both sides will be trying to put their hands up for the NZ tour as well, could be interesting from that POV.
Given our QF will be 1 week after the HCup Final and we will be playing Edinburgh or Glasgow, I'd say a good performance gives them a chance in playing in the URC QF
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference