Heineken Cup Dates 2022/23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Heineken Cup Dates 2022/23

Post by neill_m »

Oldschool wrote: May 19th, 2022, 5:01 pm
neill_m wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:25 pm The 2023 Finals were originally scheduled to be staged at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium; however, with the Premier League concluding later than usual due to the 2022 FIFA World Cup taking place in November and December, coupled with the impact of Rugby World Cup 2023 on the EPCR calendar, it was decided to select the Aviva Stadium as next season’s host venue.

McKay added: “We are very happy to continue working with Tottenham Hotspur to stage our Finals there soon. It is a sensational stadium with a burgeoning history of hosting rugby matches.
Can Anyone explain the financial logic of holding any HCC Final in a non rugby stadium.
Since 2015/16, it has been in 3 Soccer stadia - Lyon, Bilbao and Newcastle with Marseille to be the 4th. I was at the Newcastle one and it was a sell out from memory, very few spare seats. The new organisers EPCR made the decision to move the final from the previous rotation of Murrayfield, Twickenham, Lansdowne Road, Millennium Stadium & Stade de France to new venues.
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Well you can be pretty sure you won’t have a full house at this one.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

I was at both the Bilbao and Newcastle finals and heading to the Marseille one next week — personally I love the variety. A stadium is a stadium, there was nothing noticeably different in either experience.

This time around getting to Marseille is a bit of a pain in the hole, but that’s more down to terrible scheduling with so many events falling on the same day in a relatively small space. I’m sure match day will be great.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Oldschool wrote: May 19th, 2022, 5:01 pm
neill_m wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:25 pm The 2023 Finals were originally scheduled to be staged at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium; however, with the Premier League concluding later than usual due to the 2022 FIFA World Cup taking place in November and December, coupled with the impact of Rugby World Cup 2023 on the EPCR calendar, it was decided to select the Aviva Stadium as next season’s host venue.

McKay added: “We are very happy to continue working with Tottenham Hotspur to stage our Finals there soon. It is a sensational stadium with a burgeoning history of hosting rugby matches.
Can Anyone explain the financial logic of holding any HCC Final in a non rugby stadium.
Not so much the Stadium that matters its also the teams participating that is a factor 2017 Saracens comes to mind in Murrayfield or 2005 Toulouse v Stade Francais again in Murrayfield ( they planted thousands of flags from both clubs around the ground to create some atmosphere), great rugby ground great city you could paper your wall with the amount of tickets floating around however …. be interesting to see if they do that again this year to try and generate some atmosphere ?..
Flying wedge
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Financially you get good bids if other cities are competing for the business. A large part of the fun of the final is the mix of visiting fans.

I think there was a feeling that the final was getting stale in the same 6N stadia. Rather than pick somewhere with local fans and well used to hosting rugby, bring it somewhere it could grow an audience and where it would be possible to explore. But that also reflected that the new org wasn't disposed to give their pay day to the unions they were hostile too.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:59 pm Financially you get good bids if other cities are competing for the business. A large part of the fun of the final is the mix of visiting fans.

I think there was a feeling that the final was getting stale in the same 6N stadia. Rather than pick somewhere with local fans and well used to hosting rugby, bring it somewhere it could grow an audience and where it would be possible to explore. But that also reflected that the new org wasn't disposed to give their pay day to the unions they were hostile too.
That last bit sounds like the real reason regardless of financial considerations.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johnnylaird
Beginner

Post by johnnylaird »

D4surfer wrote: May 19th, 2022, 12:07 pm
R-Dog wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:55 am 2023 Final Confirmed In Dublin
Tickets go on sale tomorrow.
UPDATE: Email received with link at 1.30pm

Presale starts at 2pm today - https://www.ticketmaster.ie/dublin-23-f ... B1C5A66DF3 - anyone receive an email from EPRC yet? I assume a code will be required. If you do, please could you PM me?

Johnny.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

johnnylaird wrote: May 20th, 2022, 11:29 am
D4surfer wrote: May 19th, 2022, 12:07 pm
R-Dog wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:55 am 2023 Final Confirmed In Dublin
Tickets go on sale tomorrow.
UPDATE: Email received with link at 1.30pm

Presale starts at 2pm today - https://www.ticketmaster.ie/dublin-23-f ... B1C5A66DF3 - anyone receive an email from EPRC yet? I assume a code will be required. If you do, please could you PM me?

Johnny.
Looks like it is only Golden Tickets, for both finals. Not individual match tickets.
Dont Panic!
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

Never received an e-mail. Have been signed up to the newsletter for years and signed up on a new e-mail address just in case...
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Made Of Ale wrote: May 20th, 2022, 2:01 pm Never received an e-mail. Have been signed up to the newsletter for years and signed up on a new e-mail address just in case...
I got the email and just bought 2 tickets. Front row, premium level on the halfway line.
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

D4surfer wrote: May 20th, 2022, 2:07 pm
Made Of Ale wrote: May 20th, 2022, 2:01 pm Never received an e-mail. Have been signed up to the newsletter for years and signed up on a new e-mail address just in case...
I got the email and just bought 2 tickets. Front row, premium level on the halfway line.
Argh. I don't suppose anyone has a link to share? I don't think refreshing my inbox and checking my spam repeatedly is going to work at this stage...
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Made Of Ale wrote: May 20th, 2022, 2:09 pm
Argh. I don't suppose anyone has a link to share? I don't think refreshing my inbox and checking my spam repeatedly is going to work at this stage...
PM sent
Made Of Ale
Graduate

Post by Made Of Ale »

D4surfer wrote: May 20th, 2022, 2:14 pm
Made Of Ale wrote: May 20th, 2022, 2:09 pm

PM sent
Received, thanks very much!
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

ronk wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:59 pm Financially you get good bids if other cities are competing for the business. A large part of the fun of the final is the mix of visiting fans.

I've been lucky to be at all Leinsters finals, and the only semi I missed was the one in Bordeaux. Marseille is a pain to get to. I could be wrong; but I don't think the final has ever been in Rome? I don't think playing it outside rugby hinterland makes any impact on growing the game. Bilbao was nice, but not easy to get to - we stayed in San Sebastian and bused down on gameday. I'm not sure many locals knew even what was on.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

It depends on where you’re living but I thought Bilbao was easy to get to. Direct flight from Dublin, was pretty cheap too as far as I remember.

This year is the first time I’ve had any trouble making a final, and it’s the 8th one I’m attending. It’s an absolute clusterfuck of events all coming together, I really hope they’re smarter about the dates and locations in the future.

I’d love to see a final in Rome btw.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Serb wrote: May 26th, 2022, 11:18 pm It depends on where you’re living but I thought Bilbao was easy to get to. Direct flight from Dublin, was pretty cheap too as far as I remember.

This year is the first time I’ve had any trouble making a final, and it’s the 8th one I’m attending. It’s an absolute clusterfuck of events all coming together, I really hope they’re smarter about the dates and locations in the future.

Also happening in France this weekend:

European Champions League Final
Monaco Grand Prix (I know that’s not strictly France)
French tennis open

There’s probably something else I’m missing.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

D4surfer wrote:
Serb wrote: May 26th, 2022, 11:18 pm It depends on where you’re living but I thought Bilbao was easy to get to. Direct flight from Dublin, was pretty cheap too as far as I remember.

French tennis open

Don’t forget the challenge cup final the night before. While kind of part of the same event, it’s adding to the chaos overall.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Serb wrote: May 27th, 2022, 8:34 am
D4surfer wrote:

French tennis open

Don’t forget the challenge cup final the night before. While kind of part of the same event, it’s adding to the chaos overall.
And the Cannes film festival
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Xanthippe wrote: May 27th, 2022, 5:10 pm
Serb wrote: May 27th, 2022, 8:34 am
D4surfer wrote:

French tennis open

And the Cannes film festival
Xan, I hope you got your travel sorted and will see the final.