Heineken Cup Dates 2022/23

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Serb
Mullet

Re: Heineken Cup Dates 2022/23

Post by Serb »

Flash Gordon wrote:The selections they've made have been a complete pain from a fan point of view, Bilbao and Marseilles are really difficult to get to. London, Milan, Rome, Paris or if you want to go non traditional, Brussels, Amsterdam, Madrid - all a lot easier.

You want to fly to Marseilles now and you're paying 700 quid.
I found Bilbao pretty easy to get to, Marseille has been the worst yet though. I go to most of the finals, and was planning on going to this one, but I just can’t find a way to make it work with reasonable cost. Lyon, Toulouse, Geneva, Nice and Marseille are all outrageously expensive to fly to around the game, even Paris which is 3 hours away via TGV is €500+

Hopefully if Leinster make the final, Aer Lingus stick on an extra flight. Otherwise you’re paying way over the odds with your either your time or your money.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status ... ahqubm-efg

Spurs Stadium twitter account tagged into BT Sport tweet about the dates for next season, does suggest it will be in North London, unless others have heard different?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Serb wrote: May 10th, 2022, 3:56 pm
Flash Gordon wrote:The selections they've made have been a complete pain from a fan point of view, Bilbao and Marseilles are really difficult to get to. London, Milan, Rome, Paris or if you want to go non traditional, Brussels, Amsterdam, Madrid - all a lot easier.

I found Bilbao pretty easy to get to, Marseille has been the worst yet though. I go to most of the finals, and was planning on going to this one, but I just can’t find a way to make it work with reasonable cost. Lyon, Toulouse, Geneva, Nice and Marseille are all outrageously expensive to fly to around the game, even Paris which is 3 hours away via TGV is €500+

Hopefully if Leinster make the final, Aer Lingus stick on an extra flight. Otherwise you’re paying way over the odds with your either your time or your money.
Been looking at it last couple of weeks, 600-700 quid flights and/or 3 days travelling, I've never missed a final before but might skip this one unless flights appear or there's a half decent (read non-extortive) day trip. It's handy if you're french but that's it really, flew into Nice for the Toulon semi final there but there's nothing around flight wise that isn't extortionate.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Paris is so expensive for flights that weekend as Champions League Final is being played in the Stade de France on the 28th.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Theres a flight from Shannon to Marseille on the morning of the final arriving in Marseille at midday CET.

I booked 2 seats on it 10 days ago for €7.99 each.

It’s now €154.

And flying back to Shannon via Stansted on Monday.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 10th, 2022, 4:16 pm

Been looking at it last couple of weeks, 600-700 quid flights and/or 3 days travelling, I've never missed a final before but might skip this one unless flights appear or there's a half decent (read non-extortive) day trip. It's handy if you're french but that's it really, flew into Nice for the Toulon semi final there but there's nothing around flight wise that isn't extortionate.
A number of tour operators will be offering same day charter flights. We went to both Bilbao and Newcastle with Rugby Travel Ireland at about €400 -€500 per head. It's expensive but it saves a lot of hassle as they lay on the transfers as well.
BlueStreak
Knowledgeable

Post by BlueStreak »

Flash Gordon wrote:

If you're happy to fly through Cork, have a look at Cork to Edinburgh Friday night, Edinburgh to Marseille sat morning, Marseille to Gatwick sat night, Gatwick to Cork Sunday morning. Works out at around €250 return for flights. Marseille to Gatwick is easyJet, other three flights are Ryanair

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

D4surfer wrote: May 10th, 2022, 4:45 pm

A number of tour operators will be offering same day charter flights. We went to both Bilbao and Newcastle with Rugby Travel Ireland at about €400 -€500 per head. It's expensive but it saves a lot of hassle as they lay on the transfers as well.
Did that for Bilbao so thinking something similar maybe. Newcastle wasn't too bad as there were options for airports in the midlands and Scotland. Stayed in York and took the train across which was grand.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Posted on the on the Road thread a couple of weeks ago quite a few of us flying Dublin/Nimes early Sat morning €14.99 when I got it back then Marseille / Menorca Sun 29th lunch time then Menorca / Dublin Sunday evening everything came in at under €100 . Also might be worth checking the direct Shannon/Marseille flight prices may have dropped a bit 😀
Flying wedge
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Might find people in Shelbyville willing to offload flights on that route and tickets.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

footrush wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:47 pm

Posted on the on the Road thread a couple of weeks ago quite a few of us flying Dublin/Nimes early Sat morning €14.99 when I got it back then Marseille / Menorca Sun 29th lunch time then Menorca / Dublin Sunday evening everything came in at under €100 . Also might be worth checking the direct Shannon/Marseille flight prices may have dropped a bit 😀 Just checked that one 1 seat left at €177 but they may get returns ?.
Looks like they have gone up €300 return is about the cheapest and that’s not direct.
Last edited by footrush on May 11th, 2022, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flying wedge
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

neill_m wrote: May 10th, 2022, 11:49 am Round 1 – 9/10/11 December 2022
Round 2 – 16/17/18 December 2022
Round 3 – 13/14/15 January 2023
Round 4 – 20/21/22 January 2023
Round of 16 – 31 March/ 1/2 April 2023
Quarter-finals – 7/8/9 April 2023
Semi-finals – 28/29/30 April 2023
EPCR Challenge Cup final – Friday 19 May 2023
Heineken Champions Cup final – Saturday 20 May 2023

Round of 16 - one off game next season.
Thanks. Looks like they've spread out the big dates other than the last 16 to QF.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

I’m similarly frustrated with flights. My hope is that if (when!) we make the final, carriers will add flights providing options for those looking to stay a night or two and charters will put on day trips and packages
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

riocard911 wrote: May 10th, 2022, 3:05 pm
D4surfer wrote: May 10th, 2022, 2:56 pmHave we seen Ed Sheeran's schedule for 2022/2023 yet?
Or that of Genesis? Only learnt from Gervais on OTB last night, that the aging prog rockers gig in the La Défense Arena is the reason, that Racing match against Team RO'G is being played in Lens. GT went up in my estimation, when he remarked, that if either Ed Sheeran or Genesis was playing near his house, he'd abandon it for a few hours and go off for a walk!!!
Sexion D'Assaut are playing in La Defense Arena this weekend. Never shall he let a small amount of research divide him from the truth . . .
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Seen on Twitter that Skelton is out for La Rochelle until September. Big loss (literally) for them
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: May 13th, 2022, 4:15 pm Seen on Twitter that Skelton is out for La Rochelle until September. Big loss (literally) for them
Wow that is huge news.

While we've a big hurdle to get over tomorrow, facing LAR without Skelton in the final would be a nicer option than with him.
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

2023 Final Confirmed In Dublin
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

R-Dog wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:55 am 2023 Final Confirmed In Dublin
Tickets go on sale tomorrow.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The 2023 Finals were originally scheduled to be staged at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium; however, with the Premier League concluding later than usual due to the 2022 FIFA World Cup taking place in November and December, coupled with the impact of Rugby World Cup 2023 on the EPCR calendar, it was decided to select the Aviva Stadium as next season’s host venue.

McKay added: “We are very happy to continue working with Tottenham Hotspur to stage our Finals there soon. It is a sensational stadium with a burgeoning history of hosting rugby matches.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neill_m wrote: May 19th, 2022, 1:25 pm The 2023 Finals were originally scheduled to be staged at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium; however, with the Premier League concluding later than usual due to the 2022 FIFA World Cup taking place in November and December, coupled with the impact of Rugby World Cup 2023 on the EPCR calendar, it was decided to select the Aviva Stadium as next season’s host venue.

McKay added: “We are very happy to continue working with Tottenham Hotspur to stage our Finals there soon. It is a sensational stadium with a burgeoning history of hosting rugby matches.
Can Anyone explain the financial logic of holding any HCC Final in a non rugby stadium.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.