Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

Post by enby »

Neither Rodney Ah You nor Tony Buckley were great advertisements for bulk in a prop.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

enby wrote: May 18th, 2022, 11:41 am Neither Rodney Ah You nor Tony Buckley were great advertisements for bulk in a prop.
Buckley is one of two people who when I stood next to them I was physically intimidated. I was tipping the scales at 118kg at the time, and I felt like a child in comparison. I was always amazed he wasn't rag dolling people on the pitch. The other person was Brock Lesnar, he just looked like a CGI character, in that I was like "Nope, that's not a real person, can't be" :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Buckley grew up too strong to develop a mean streak. He was always going to get in trouble even if someone else started the fight. Gentle giant.

He also would be a lock in the Damien Browne mould rather than cast as a John Hayes replacement.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Rory McGuire is a big 19 year old at 6'4, 118kg..
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

ronk wrote: May 18th, 2022, 1:26 pm Buckley grew up too strong to develop a mean streak. He was always going to get in trouble even if someone else started the fight. Gentle giant.

He also would be a lock in the Damien Browne mould rather than cast as a John Hayes replacement.
Yeah, I remember Hugonaut also suggesting that a while back. It would have been fascinating to see what he could do as a sort of French-style bruiser second row.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote: May 18th, 2022, 1:26 pm Buckley grew up too strong to develop a mean streak. He was always going to get in trouble even if someone else started the fight. Gentle giant.

This doesn't apply to Saffers though, they've produced some very ornery big men (exception being the ever smiling Ollie Le Roux)
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

RoboProp wrote: May 18th, 2022, 1:18 pm
enby wrote: May 18th, 2022, 11:41 am Neither Rodney Ah You nor Tony Buckley were great advertisements for bulk in a prop.
Buckley is one of two people who when I stood next to them I was physically intimidated. I was tipping the scales at 118kg at the time, and I felt like a child in comparison. I was always amazed he wasn't rag dolling people on the pitch. The other person was Brock Lesnar, he just looked like a CGI character, in that I was like "Nope, that's not a real person, can't be" :lol:
Ok, I have to ask. How did it come to pass that you were standing next to Brock Lesnar and what was he like?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

CiaranIrl wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:06 pm
Ok, I have to ask. How did it come to pass that you were standing next to Brock Lesnar and what was he like?
They were over here some years ago, and I went to fan event and show with my nephew. He was very courteous and nice to the nephew, professional. I found him more physically impressive than Paul Wight (The Big Show) and Kane who were also there, in fairness, they were all frickin' gargantuan men, but something about Lesnar's size made ya think "WTAF?" more so than the other 2 if that makes sense. Just wide like I never seen, and I'm someone who has to turn sideways to get through doors on a regular basis.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

RoboProp wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:04 pm

This doesn't apply to Saffers though, they've produced some very ornery big men (exception being the ever smiling Ollie Le Roux)
Yep. You can get big by having a growth spurt, get tough by having big siblings, get experience by being expected to do hard contact. Often the biggest kids in Ireland always have to hold back.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

RoboProp wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:15 pm
CiaranIrl wrote: May 18th, 2022, 2:06 pm

They were over here some years ago, and I went to fan event and show with my nephew. He was very courteous and nice to the nephew, professional. I found him more physically impressive than Paul Wight (The Big Show) and Kane who were also there, in fairness, they were all frickin' gargantuan men, but something about Lesnar's size made ya think "WTAF?" more so than the other 2 if that makes sense. Just wide like I never seen, and I'm someone who has to turn sideways to get through doors on a regular basis.
Ah, that sounds like fun. I went to a WrestleMania once - about ten years ago in Miami. He was one of the big events, and I remember him being preposterously huge.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Buckley should have been allowed to use his best asset as a powerful ball carrier/good handler of the ball from number 8. Billy Vunipola in physique, but taller. He broke the first tackle a very high percentage of the time, absolute beast of a man. Ruined by trying to force his 6'5" frame into playing prop.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Ah he wasnt really athletic enough for 8.

TH lock probably would have suited him better.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote: May 17th, 2022, 9:45 pm
Oldschool wrote: May 17th, 2022, 9:39 pm
wixfjord wrote: May 17th, 2022, 8:54 pm

I don't think a random Twitter thread is going to have much insight that ROG et al won't be able to see from studying hours of tape!

One thing knowing what we do in attack, another thing stopping it. In fact the point of the thread is the variety is so hard to stop.
And yet you found it fascinating. :?:
I do indeed. What has that got to do with the price of turnips?
Depends on where they're from. SA ones are tres cher
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.