Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

Post by wixfjord »

Blue Man wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:44 pm Well done Wixfjord, keep thinking big…

I think Leinster will have had a big day over packages and pricing. I would like to think that some scenario planning went into preparing for the semi final and it’s not particularly difficult to organise some coaches, even Munster managed that much and that’s a poorly run organisation.
Like it's great throwing out random ideas with no real sense of how an operation like that works. Any auld eejit can do that.

I'm sure LR were planning for a semi final, but until the day & time is confirmed (last Sunday/Monday) then they can't action those plans. So 5 working days before the game.

Munster had three weeks to prepare for the Toulouse game and it was a game they were getting the revenue for and in control of ticketing for. So they both have actual control and a real monetary incentive to up the crowd. They were also forced into some of those moves due to the Sheeran debacle.

This is an EPCR organised game.

LR don't have that same level of incentive and none of the control because they don't get the revenue and don't control the ticketing.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I think Leinster will have had a big day over packages and pricing. I would like to think that some scenario planning went into preparing for the semi final and it’s not particularly difficult to organise some coaches, even Munster managed that much and that’s a poorly run organisation.
Blue Man. You do realise Leinster get no revenue from this. It's not a Leinster home game, its an EPRC gig, they get the revenue after they have paid rent to the IRFU.
Munster had a home game last weekend and pocketed the profits. We missed out on a home QF and a very big payday.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

blockhead wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:57 pm

Blue Man. You do realise Leinster get no revenue from this. It's not a Leinster home game, its an EPRC gig, they get the revenue after they have paid rent to the IRFU.
Munster had a home game last weekend and pocketed the profits. We missed out on a home QF and a very big payday.

My understanding is that the IRFU participates in revenue share and that we retain, bar, confectionary and event revenue. Also, a full stadium is an investment in future fans and a massive boost to the team. Worth every cent of any incentive to get the punters in.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

A little off topic but I do agree that Leinster’s marketing is sub par. I saw this ad for purchasing a season ticket recently and I have to say, I don’t really get it — how would this convince anyone to buy a season ticket?

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blue Man wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:11 pm
blockhead wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:57 pm

My understanding is that the IRFU participates in revenue share and that we retain, bar, confectionary and event revenue. Also, a full stadium is an investment in future fans and a massive boost to the team. Worth every cent of any incentive to get the punters in.
It's an EPCR event, which means bar takings go to EPCR as they're running the event. This was confirmed by Leinster's PR manager on Twitter.

Have a look at the bar taps at the weekend for example, likely to be all Heineken product compared to the usual Diageo fare in Aviva.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Serb wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:15 pm A little off topic but I do agree that Leinster’s marketing is sub par. I saw this ad for purchasing a season ticket recently and I have to say, I don’t really get it — how would this convince anyone to buy a season ticket?

yeah lots left to be desired by marketing, comms, pr etc.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Serb wrote:A little off topic but I do agree that Leinster’s marketing is sub par. I saw this ad for purchasing a season ticket recently and I have to say, I don’t really get it — how would this convince anyone to buy a season ticket?

They are trying to link the players with the punters in the stand... Two halves of the one thing.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Serb wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:15 pm A little off topic but I do agree that Leinster’s marketing is sub par. I saw this ad for purchasing a season ticket recently and I have to say, I don’t really get it — how would this convince anyone to buy a season ticket?

I actually thought this was pretty good, could do with a greatest contrast in how the two of them look though so that it’s clearer.

Better than the stuff for the Irish women’s football team anyway. “Outbelieve”, what the f%~k does that mean?
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

wixfjord wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:49 pm

Like it's great throwing out random ideas with no real sense of how an operation like that works. Any auld eejit can do that.

I'm sure LR were planning for a semi final, but until the day & time is confirmed (last Sunday/Monday) then they can't action those plans. So 5 working days before the game.

Munster had three weeks to prepare for the Toulouse game and it was a game they were getting the revenue for and in control of ticketing for. So they both have actual control and a real monetary incentive to up the crowd. They were also forced into some of those moves due to the Sheeran debacle.

LR don't have that same level of incentive and none of the control because they don't get the revenue and don't control the ticketing.

Racing organized 80 coaches to Bilbao, they weren’t full financially incentivized to do so but were sufficiently evolved in their thinking and marketing to know it made sense. Take a look at La Defense on match day if you want to see the potential for an ambitious rugby club. So much unrealized commercial potential for Leinster Rugby and some of the limited thinking here sadly reflects a complete lack of ambition.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Munster knew since September that a home QF would be in Aviva. There are 3 cities in Munster and they all needed to look at travel. They could subsidise buses out of ticket sales.

Leinster can't. There's less time and less control. We had an away QF so a semi wasn't all that certain. I'd have expected a form Munster team to win at home. In that case the game would already be sold out.

Subsidised buses would be nice but Leinster are playing where they normally would be. Fans can travel their usual routes and kickoff time is very friendly.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blue Man wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:40 pm

Racing organized 80 coaches to Bilbao, they weren’t full financially incentivized to do so but were sufficiently evolved in their thinking and marketing to know it made sense. Take a look at La Defense on match day if you want to see the potential for an ambitious rugby club. So much unrealized commercial potential for Leinster Rugby and some of the limited thinking here sadly reflects a complete lack of ambition.
Brilliant for Racing.

Leinster had chartered flights going through usual travel partners.

Racing are a private club with a billionaire backer who have invested heavily in a brilliant stadium.

I don't think I need to tell you what the difference is with our model.

I agree that LR's marketing often leaves a lot to be desired.

But in this case you're ignoring why they might not be able to fill the Aviva in 6 days, and might not be incentivised to spend money getting people to a game they're not getting revenue from.

In fact I'd say that selling 30k+ tickets in 24 hours is pretty good going actually.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Racing rented out their stadium for a concert. Like Munster. They both needed to mollify fans who were let down by that and angry about being forced to travel.

We have nothing to learn from either about ambition.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

Selling 30k tickets so far is good going. Realistically we will be doing very well to break 40k. The Leinster marketing model can be very hit and miss, and this is probably a debate for another thread, but rugby is a completely different sport when played in front of a passionate crowd. Was lucky enough to be at Welford road and La Rochelle a few weeks before, and as im sure that many of the better travelled road warriors on this forum can attest, the match day experience is a different animal than the RDS/Lansdowne one. And thats perfectly okay! The Leinster package is one envied around the world, and rightly so. It may fall down on matchday experience and broadening the fan base, but the number one cure for that is win trophies, and win them well.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

It helps to win trophies, if on home match day your stadium is packed with your own fans going mental, giving you a boost and putting pressure on the oppostion, the ref and his assistants. Anything that helps create such conditions is to welcomed.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So who would you like to playing this weekend? The team who drew with Munster after extra-time, a fortnight after beating Ulster by one score? Or, the team who have lost the majority of their 16 fixtures since the turn of the the year?

Yes, you've got it in one. We're playing that team. French & European Champions, Toulouse, are back in Dublin again this weekend to face us at our second home in Aviva Stadium. However, there's a lot of pointers which suggest this isn't the same Toulouse who conquered the Top14 and all European opposition last year.

Since January 1st 2022, they've had the following consecutive results:

Clermont (A): 16-13: - Loss
Wasps (A): 30-22: - Loss
Racing 92: (H) 15-20: Loss
Perpignan (A): 36-13: Loss
S Francais (H): 28-29: Loss
Pau (A): 27-22: Loss
Bordeaux (H): 12-11: Win
S. Francais (A) 23-16: Loss
Montpellier (H): 35-10: Win
Lyon (H): 27-19: Win
Castres (A): 19-13: Loss
Ulster (H): 20-26: Loss
Ulster (A): 23-30: Win
Toulon (A): 19-15: Loss
La Rochelle (H): 23-16: Win
Munster (A): 24-24: Draw-qualified in Penalty Shoot-out.

Summary: Played:16 - Won: 6: Lost: 9 Drawn 1

Not normally the record of an opponent that should scare Leinster. Just for the record, the only teams they've beaten away from home in 2022 are....Ulster and Munster.

And yes there are extenuating circumstances. They are bulk suppliers to the French Squad who won the Grand Slam during February & March this year. Many of their defeats were one-score losses. They have beaten Bordeaux, Montpellier and La Rochelle, their biggest challengers in the Top14 this season.

But still........
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Blue Man wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:34 pmAppreciate the logistics of shifting tickets are difficult but for me Leinster’s capability around Sales & Marketing is poor.
For a match like this, they should be laying on coaches to every regional club across the province (I’m open to correction but don’t think this is happening). There should be group packages for minis through clubs and schools (my minis certainly haven’t received any info on such an offer). There should be a two match package for the semi final and Munster match (appreciate this is tricky but not insurmountable). Point of distribution should be expanded; set up kiosks in Lifestyle sports, Super Value or Dunne’s.
Complete lack of creativity or customer focus from Leinster once again.
To be honest I'd be happier that the money is spent in the grassroots and player development paths than placating people who only show their faces around big games to complain about things and/or bask in perceived reflected glory.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:42 pm

Munster knew since September that a home QF would be in Aviva. There are 3 cities in Munster and they all needed to look at travel. They could subsidise buses out of ticket sales.

Leinster can't. There's less time and less control. We had an away QF so a semi wasn't all that certain. I'd have expected a form Munster team to win at home. In that case the game would already be sold out.

Subsidised buses would be nice but Leinster are playing where they normally would be. Fans can travel their usual routes and kickoff time is very friendly.
Public transport costs have reduced. It’s €12 return for a kids train ticket from Longford and €23 for an adult. Why would Leinster subsidise when the government are doing that?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Blue Man wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:11 pm

Leinster recieve no bar, confectionary and event revenue from the Aviva Stadium
I have Bumbleflex
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Post by scrum25 »

Blue Man wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:40 pm

There were way more Leinster fans in Bilbao than Racing and Racing struggle to fill La Defense arena for Rugby I don't think Racing is a good comparison.

We could learn a lot from Toulouse Clermont and La Rochelle

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:42 pm
They could subsidise buses out of Ed Sheeran revenue.
FIFY