Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster v Toulouse HC SF Sat 14th May 3:00pm

Post by blockhead »

According to An Garda Síochana press release, we are playing Connacht next Saturday. :roll:
The thin blue line eh.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Flash Gordon wrote: May 10th, 2022, 10:15 am
curates_egg wrote: May 10th, 2022, 9:40 am Does anyone have a spare ticket in BLK 122 (in or near row AA 26-28)?
Got one ticket too few and my dad would like to join.
Call the branch ticket office, they are generally very helpful about these things.
Thanks.
Scooby Shaggy Swerve
Learner

Post by Scooby Shaggy Swerve »

Some great seats in lower East & West on halfway line now on sale, (Toulouse returns apparently)

https://t.co/7dWbY98KlO

Hell of lot better the 4 I bought on Monday. (BLK127)
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

Scooby Shaggy Swerve wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:21 pm Some great seats in lower East & West on halfway line now on sale, (Toulouse returns apparently)

Fantastic !, good things come to those who wait !. Wonder how close we are to selling this one out ?.
Flying wedge
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

30,000 tickets already sold – Get yours here

May 10, 2022 12:17 pm Site Editor

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/30000-tick ... ours-here/
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

footrush wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:29 pm
Scooby Shaggy Swerve wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:21 pm Some great seats in lower East & West on halfway line now on sale, (Toulouse returns apparently)

Fantastic !, good things come to those who wait !. Wonder how close we are to selling this one out ?.
not close.

32k at the minute, i'd say we will be doing well to pass 40k. Which will be a great achievement on 5 days notice.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Great weather forecast I believe for the weekend
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

In previous years when we lost we didn't face teams capable of extreme physicality and we had a patched element to the matchday squad.

This year we played 4 South African sides and Leicester away at their peak. We're much better prepped and have strengthened our starting pack by moving Porter. Fardy isn't that much of a loss, he was fading.

We also don't have to go to France. But Toulouse got results twice in Ireland in recent weeks. So they're coming in hot too.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'm not sure what playing 4 SA sides has really taught us considering nobody from this 23 played Stormers or Sharks, a handful played against Lions and the Bulls didn't put up much resistance in September. Big difference to a proper heavyweight Toulouse side in a SF.

One key area we have a big advantage though is in fitness and freshness.

Toulouse have been playing big arm wrestle games for 6 weeks now.

They've lost to Toulon, Ulster and Castres in that time and just come through a 100 minute away game, to turn around and come back for another intense away game.

Meanwhile the toughest test we've had against Leicester was after a three week training block for most of our 23.

That has to catch up with Toulouse at some stage.

They're due to be down quite a few in the backline too, possibly Medard, Delibes, Guitone, Tauzin, Germain.

Possible centre combo is Akhi and Nanai Williams or Holmes. That's again an area we should have the upper hand.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:08 pm I'm not sure what playing 4 SA sides has really taught us considering nobody from this 23 played Stormers or Sharks, a handful played against Lions and the Bulls didn't put up much resistance in September. Big difference to a proper heavyweight Toulouse side in a SF.

They've lost to Toulon, Ulster and Castres in that time and just come through a 100 minute away game, to turn around and come back for another intense away game.

Meanwhile the toughest test we've had against Leicester was after a three week training block for most of our 23.

They're due to be down quite a few in the backline too, possibly Medard, Delibes, Guitone, Tauzin, Germain.

Possible centre combo is Akhi and Nanai Williams or Holmes. That's again an area we should have the upper hand.
Think he means that having changed our playing style since last year against La Rochelle we have tried it against two of the largest SA packs in the URC with technically an under 21 team and only lost by less than 7 points in both cases which gives us the blueprint on how to play against big packs
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:19 pm
wixfjord wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:08 pm I'm not sure what playing 4 SA sides has really taught us considering nobody from this 23 played Stormers or Sharks, a handful played against Lions and the Bulls didn't put up much resistance in September. Big difference to a proper heavyweight Toulouse side in a SF.

Think he means that having changed our playing style since last year against La Rochelle we have tried it against two of the largest SA packs in the URC with technically an under 21 team and only lost by less than 7 points in both cases which gives us the blueprint on how to play against big packs
Is that really the case?

Didn't see much of a different blueprint against Sharks or Stormers personally?

I'm not sure those games are of any use really when none of the starting 23 played in them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leo was there. The coaching team can be better prepared. There's a wider panel and ideas permeate through training. The other teams we faced were hardened by their matches too.

The 23s weren't completely different. Porter, Ala'alatoa, Ruddock, Tommy O'Brien. Kelleher would have too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I dunno, I don't think playing the SA teams will have had much effect in preparing us for Toulouse.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:53 pm I dunno, I don't think playing the SA teams will have had much effect in preparing us for Toulouse.
Tell ya what, if we win I'll claim that I was right and if we lose we can say that you were wrong.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:43 pm

not close.

32k at the minute, i'd say we will be doing well to pass 40k. Which will be a great achievement on 5 days notice.
Appreciate the logistics of shifting tickets are difficult but for me Leinster’s capability around Sales & Marketing is poor.
For a match like this, they should be laying on coaches to every regional club across the province (I’m open to correction but don’t think this is happening). There should be group packages for minis through clubs and schools (my minis certainly haven’t received any info on such an offer). There should be a two match package for the semi final and Munster match (appreciate this is tricky but not insurmountable). Point of distribution should be expanded; set up kiosks in Lifestyle sports, Super Value or Dunne’s.
Complete lack of creativity or customer focus from Leinster once again.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Blue Man wrote: May 10th, 2022, 8:34 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 10th, 2022, 5:43 pm

not close.

Appreciate the logistics of shifting tickets are difficult but for me Leinster’s capability around Sales & Marketing is poor.
For a match like this, they should be laying on coaches to every regional club across the province (I’m open to correction but don’t think this is happening). There should be group packages for minis through clubs and schools (my minis certainly haven’t received any info on such an offer). There should be a two match package for the semi final and Munster match (appreciate this is tricky but not insurmountable). Point of distribution should be expanded; set up kiosks in Lifestyle sports, Super Value or Dunne’s.
Complete lack of creativity or customer focus from Leinster once again.
It's all well and good saying that, but this isn't a LR gig, it's an ECPR gig. So they've no control over ticketing packages, pricing etc.

In terms of laying on buses, this game was confirmed on Sunday, who exactly do you expect to organise that and pay for it? This is a small marketing & PR team of probably 10-12 people.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Re blue man. Absolutely spot on. The marketing department (if there is one) must be one person cos its shocking. Been like that for years. Badly behind many other clubs especially the French ones. Our idea is innovative thinking is sticking flags down the back of seats at the aviva.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Leinster rugby have made a small fortune over the last 10 years. I'm sure they could stretch to putting on a few buses for fans further afield if they wanted to ensure a sold out aviva.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

ronk wrote: May 10th, 2022, 7:52 pm Leo was there. The coaching team can be better prepared. There's a wider panel and ideas permeate through training. The other teams we faced were hardened by their matches too.

The 23s weren't completely different. Porter, Ala'alatoa, Ruddock, Tommy O'Brien. Kelleher would have too.
I think that's very far fetched to say any ideas from Stormers & Sharks losses would permeate through the team.

What specifically did we learn from those two games that would be worth bringing back? What did we do differently in those two games?

Neither Sharks or Stormers are anywhere near as big as Toulouse or as well drilled as Leicester either.

We'll take a lot form last weekend hopefully, but I think the big thing we'll take is to be as good as we can at our own high tempo, highly accurate game that the first 23 know how to play.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Well done Wixfjord, keep thinking big…

I think Leinster will have had a big day over packages and pricing. I would like to think that some scenario planning went into preparing for the semi final and it’s not particularly difficult to organise some coaches, even Munster managed that much and that’s a poorly run organisation.