Stormers v Leinster Sat 30 Apr KO 5:15pm RTE 2

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Stormers v Leinster Sat 30 Apr KO 5:15pm RTE 2

Post by paddyor »

D4surfer wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:09 pm The lack of awareness of the league situation by the RTE commentary team was shocking.
Munster needed a win. They knew.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 30th, 2022, 8:07 pm Mannix made a great point, that I think most of us overlooked, that this team spends their time training against what is essentially the fourth best side in international rugby so performances like the last two shouldn't really come as a surprise
You still have to perform in battle-and they did. impressive 2 week tour from this squad. Augurs well for the future.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:41 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:22 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:18 pm Talent but lots of fight in them as well. Maybe I’m still scarred from the early 2000s but I think that’s just as important!
Great article in the Guardian today comparing Jordan Henderson and Jonjo Shelvey, and Mark Ramprakash and other batsmen, about how hard work and fight trumps talent without it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... jo-shelvey
I’m too lazy to read that…
Lol
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Enjoyed that match massively, loved every second of fight from the sprogs !! Top spot secured, lots to be proud of and massive leap forward for many of those who played to tonight.

Could so easily have rolled over after they got two early second half tries but no...

Some performance from Soroka, what an engine on him....seriously impressive performance. Tearing up trees he was....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

So proud of that gang out there. I expect a hosing last week but I really really expected one this week. Great discipline, great heart and in the end the perfect outcome. Top of the League.
Soroka was so impressive in the U20s only last summer and now he's MOTM down in South Africa.
Frawley, what a cool customer.
Well done lads. :clap: :clap: :clap:
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote: April 30th, 2022, 8:17 pm A little surprised that, for the second week running, we didn't make full use of the bench.
Yeah. The 6-2 split worked against it a bit but I thought that we should have subbed someone off when Foley got yellow and we could have had McCarthy on. Then sub off Foley when the sin bin returns so you don't have 2 scrumhalves.

At 65 minutes Moloney was the only non front row left. It would only have put him on 1 minute earlier.

As an aside one of the things I don't like about penalty tries is how infrequently they get replayed. It's a big decision to not review.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was surprised when I saw Soroka’s tackle and carry stats were actually quite low when they were put up during the game. The thought just crossed my mind that with his lineout prowess, his dive to save the try, and the angry face at the end…he could be our POM :lol:
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Having come off cloud nine a bit (being so impressed about the way our guys played with confidence etc) the thing going on in my head this morning is how the hell did we get 2 yellow cards and stormers got none. Roos alone should have had 2 yellows without even talking about the consistent infringements they made everytime we had the ball or contested the ball. The ref even cautioned them first that he would send a stormer off if they didn’t clean up their pens - which they did not do in the 2nd half
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

wixfjord wrote: April 30th, 2022, 9:30 pm What a legend. Hope this lad has a long Leinster career.

https://twitter.com/mickado15/status/15 ... 1528550400
It's hard to make out what he says at the very end of the interview there, but: Edit

I thought at first he said 'slán mo chroí' or 'goodbye my love' but it must be Ukrainian: Slava Ukraini

Brilliant interview.
Last edited by CiaranIrl on May 1st, 2022, 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I had no idea his parents were Ukrainian. I'll definitely throw a few quid in there.

https://mobile.twitter.com/leinsterrugb ... 8210902017
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I think this tour could be a great catalyst for a few guys.

McKee looked good in both games and will slot into the depth chart alongside Tracy.

Soroka is certainly good enough to start against Munster in the Aviva and make a step up next year.

Foley looked like he could challenge McCarthy for third choice and should improve with more time. Even in second half yesterday his kicking was much better.

Osborne is a real leader and will be a cracking player. Again would like to see him start against Munster.

TOB has shown again he is good enough to play in a knockout league or Euro game.

Frawley showed he can be a good #22 in our first team and should push Ross for that.

The big shame is that we’re saying goodbye to Dunne and Murphy. Second row depth is the biggest concern. Deeny was quiet enough in both games and particularly with Dunne it’s a case of ‘what might’ve been’.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

wixfjord wrote: May 1st, 2022, 11:05 am I think this tour could be a great catalyst for a few guys.

McKee looked good in both games and will slot into the depth chart alongside Tracy.

Soroka is certainly good enough to start against Munster in the Aviva and make a step up next year.

Foley looked like he could challenge McCarthy for third choice and should improve with more time. Even in second half yesterday his kicking was much better.

Osborne is a real leader and will be a cracking player. Again would like to see him start against Munster.

TOB has shown again he is good enough to play in a knockout league or Euro game.

Frawley showed he can be a good #22 in our first team and should push Ross for that.

The big shame is that we’re saying goodbye to Dunne and Murphy. Second row depth is the biggest concern. Deeny was quiet enough in both games and particularly with Dunne it’s a case of ‘what might’ve been’.
Dunnes last three games have finally started to show what he could be capable of. It’s a real pity it took him till now to really show it. On Murphy I am sorry to see him go but think we have more depth in his area coming through to cover, plus he gives away too many pens - still a really good player
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Have a look at the edited highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh26JHpaV5I - and one can see Roos, just as the maul, which caused the ref to award a penalty try, collapses, clearly punching a Leinster player on the ground. I think it's Scott Penney, who gets digged. The incident happens on the right hand side of said maul from a Stormers perspective. Deserves a citing, IMO.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

riocard911 wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:00 pm Have a look at the edited highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh26JHpaV5I - and one can see Roos, just as the maul, which caused the ref to award a penalty try, collapses, clearly punching a Leinster player on the ground. I think it's Scott Penney, who gets digged. The incident happens on the right hand side of said maul from a Stormers perspective. Deserves a citing, IMO.
More of a swinging arm, I don't think it connected very well, but still definitely yellow. It occurs after the maul goes to ground so I suppose the try would still stand.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Anybody see attendance numbers? It looked fairly busy

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

neiliog93 wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:27 pm
riocard911 wrote: May 1st, 2022, 1:00 pm Have a look at the edited highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh26JHpaV5I - and one can see Roos, just as the maul, which caused the ref to award a penalty try, collapses, clearly punching a Leinster player on the ground. I think it's Scott Penney, who gets digged. The incident happens on the right hand side of said maul from a Stormers perspective. Deserves a citing, IMO.
More of a swinging arm, I don't think it connected very well, but still definitely yellow. It occurs after the maul goes to ground so I suppose the try would still stand.
Foul play would overrule as far as I know.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The Doc wrote: May 1st, 2022, 2:08 pm Anybody see attendance numbers? It looked fairly busy

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Citing comissioners should be taking a serious look at some of the incidents in this game, pretty sure I saw fingers in one of our guys eyes at one point. Pushing a players head into the turf after play should be and instant red and a citing imo, no place in it for the game. Roos reaction after that, like he was some sort of warrior foul playing a guy 1/2 his size was pretty pathetic tbh. Pure scum, and will get found out once hes not in SA with SA tMOS.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Experimental wrote: May 1st, 2022, 3:03 pm Citing comissioners should be taking a serious look at some of the incidents in this game, pretty sure I saw fingers in one of our guys eyes at one point. Pushing a players head into the turf after play should be and instant red and a citing imo, no place in it for the game. Roos reaction after that, like he was some sort of warrior foul playing a guy 1/2 his size was pretty pathetic tbh. Pure scum, and will get found out once hes not in SA with SA tMOS.
As I said in previous post he deserved at least 2 yellow cards one for punching on ground and other for the Harry Byrne incident. Just watching back he clearly took the legs out of a Leinster player while in the air in a line out that was also intentional and the tmo did nothing, total disgrace
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Ray Donovan wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:26 pm
D4surfer wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:09 pm The lack of awareness of the league situation by the RTE commentary team was shocking.
You’re hardly surprised by that.

I only caught a snippet of Stephen Ferris on Premier Sports but I think the general gist was Leinster will be ultimately disappointed by the tour as they lost 2 games.

No awareness that top spot and number one seed was in general peril prior to going to SA considering the squad that was travelling.

To have the 1 seed sown up with a game to spare taking the last 2 weeks in context Is outstanding work.
We play cliche bingo when Ferris commentates. Super player, not the shrewdest. As an analyst he tends to talk in cliche driven s%ite. He's very different talking about Ulster on BCC NI and on RTE, shows a frightening lack of awareness of the fact if its free to air rugby there is significant audience crossover for both channels, certainly south of the border.

RTE dropped a serious ball on the league positions, think Jacqui Hurley would have copped it in fairness to her had she been on the broadcast, very surprised Heaslip didn't realise the import of the bonus point.