Stormers v Leinster Sat 30 Apr KO 5:15pm RTE 2

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Stormers v Leinster Sat 30 Apr KO 5:15pm RTE 2

Post by wixfjord »

Barry wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:22 pm Munster game is the weekend between the European semi and final so we may yet be very glad of not needing any points from that game.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Yep, it's a big win because of that.

If we get past Leicester & Munster/Toulouse we'll be able to rest everyone.

Might not sell too many tickets albeit.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Another very gutsy performance from our lads. This machine has heart!
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

D4surfer wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:09 pm The lack of awareness of the league situation by the RTE commentary team was shocking.
You’re hardly surprised by that.

I only caught a snippet of Stephen Ferris on Premier Sports but I think the general gist was Leinster will be ultimately disappointed by the tour as they lost 2 games.

No awareness that top spot and number one seed was in general peril prior to going to SA considering the squad that was travelling.

To have the 1 seed sown up with a game to spare taking the last 2 weeks in context Is outstanding work.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:18 pm
Theleinsterlad wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:15 pm We have some more great talent coming through what a pair of games
Talent but lots of fight in them as well. Maybe I’m still scarred from the early 2000s but I think that’s just as important!
Agree with you, there were a number of points in the 2nd half where they could have dropped off but refused to do it. Christ osbornes last gasp tackle and hold up was a thing of beauty
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

wixfjord wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:22 pm
Laighin Break wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:21 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Im usually a fan of both comms but continuously thinking that Deeney had given away a penalty in the first half after a tackle by himself and Penny when it was actually Murphy and Russell was also really poor.
And Lenihan repeatedly saying Frawley was obstructed for the disallowed try at the beginning despite so many replays
They're watching it off a small screen in fairness.
I was watching it on my tablet. Even watching on the phone I can tell the two apart
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:22 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:18 pm Talent but lots of fight in them as well. Maybe I’m still scarred from the early 2000s but I think that’s just as important!
Great article in the Guardian today comparing Jordan Henderson and Jonjo Shelvey, and Mark Ramprakash and other batsmen, about how hard work and fight trumps talent without it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... jo-shelvey
I’m too lazy to read that…
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Laighin Break wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:39 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:22 pm
Laighin Break wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:21 pm

And Lenihan repeatedly saying Frawley was obstructed for the disallowed try at the beginning despite so many replays
They're watching it off a small screen in fairness.
I was watching it on my tablet. Even watching on the phone I can tell the two apart
That's because you're interested and you care. Neither phrase apply to RTE commentators talking about Leinster.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:41 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:22 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:18 pm Talent but lots of fight in them as well. Maybe I’m still scarred from the early 2000s but I think that’s just as important!
Great article in the Guardian today comparing Jordan Henderson and Jonjo Shelvey, and Mark Ramprakash and other batsmen, about how hard work and fight trumps talent without it

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... jo-shelvey
I’m too lazy to read that…
You can win a championship with 15 good lads who work hard, you won’t with 15 talented lads who don’t
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Lot of impressive performances out there, none more so than Rhys again. Another great example of him leading from the front.

It was another game where the players just poured the effort in until they were empty. I felt we played better against the Sharks and created more, but this was a weaker team and they hearted the f*ck out of the game. We got a bit of a sticky deal from the refereeing team, but in general they were the team playing more rugby and that can happen.

This was a team with seven academy players in the starting lineup [Max O'Reilly, Rob Russell, Jamie Osborne, Cormac Foley, John McKee, Brian Deeny and Alex Soroka]. You've got to give credit to the coaching team for preparing them so well that they could put in that competitive performance against the Stormers, but the players themselves deserve a huge amount of credit. It's a tough scene going down there devoid of so many senior players, but they got the job done and got the point that puts us top of the log.

Frawley was excellent, his kicking from hand is outstanding – he strikes the ball so purely and it travels so, so far! Cormac Foley did well. I'd like to see him be outwardly be more confident, but he played some good stuff. That's bloody impressive when you consider that we were a long way from home against one of the best teams in South Africa.

McKee was very good, even with his yellow card. Good rugby player. I was impressed with Sean O'Brien in his cameo ... really quick off the mark, explosive and a natural ball carrier. You put him and Soroka on either side of this year's U20 No8 Culhane and you've got a very impressive backrow.

We played these games with a lot of heart and a lot of cop on. We played very little rugby in our half and kicked very well. We were outmatched up front in both games but kept in tight on the board and got what we were looking for in both games. Well done the lads.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

So many good things from those too games. Really excited about some of the talent and all of the resistance. In absolute awe with Russell's try-saving tackle and his pace in closing down Sinalta. Osbourne's wrap tackle, on their flanker over the line was sensational.

In the past, I sometimes considered Soroka a little bit of a show pony. Never again, his heart is on his sleeve only because it's too big to hide. What a competitor. In 7 years time, he'll be playing the Rhys role for another bunch of Academy players.

Ed Byrne was also phenomenal and played himself to a standstill whilst conceding nothing to a Springbok World Cup winner. Milne & Vahk were great scrum finishers and really fought for every yard.

Agree with all the positive sentiments re McKee, Murphy, Dunne, Penny and Moloney & O'Brien. I hope Rhys only came off to rest before benching next week. What a fortnight he's put in.

Really proud of all the Squad that travelled to SA. They really represented us very well and gave our Club the best chance of beating Leicester.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Agree with all the commendations above. Thought Harry gave a good showing in his little cameo today. The conversion was a serious pressure kick and he nailed it. Loved the nonchalance too with which he got the liathróid of the field of play at the end. Cool as a cucumber!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Mannix made a great point, that I think most of us overlooked, that this team spends their time training against what is essentially the fourth best side in international rugby so performances like the last two shouldn't really come as a surprise
I have Bumbleflex
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Ruckedtobits wrote: April 30th, 2022, 7:59 pm So many good things from those too games. Really excited about some of the talent and all of the resistance. In absolute awe with Russell's try-saving tackle and his pace in closing down Sinalta. Osbourne's wrap tackle, on their flanker over the line was sensational.

In the past, I sometimes considered Soroka a little bit of a show pony. Never again, his heart is on his sleeve only because it's too big to hide. What a competitor. In 7 years time, he'll be playing the Rhys role for another bunch of Academy players.

Ed Byrne was also phenomenal and played himself to a standstill whilst conceding nothing to a Springbok World Cup winner. Milne & Vahk were great scrum finishers and really fought for every yard.

Agree with all the positive sentiments re McKee, Murphy, Dunne, Penny and Moloney & O'Brien. I hope Rhys only came off to rest before benching next week. What a fortnight he's put in.

Really proud of all the Squad that travelled to SA. They really represented us very well and gave our Club the best chance of beating Leicester.
There was one scrum in particular where I think Kitshoff was trying to get the screw on Vakh and the fricking power of the guy he just shunted it off. He's a f**king ox, and I mean that in the nicest way possible
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Just saw on Twitter that Soroka was awarded Player of the Match! Well deserved
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

A little surprised that, for the second week running, we didn't make full use of the bench.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What a legend. Hope this lad has a long Leinster career.

https://twitter.com/mickado15/status/15 ... 1528550400
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

wixfjord wrote:What a legend. Hope this lad has a long Leinster career.

If you were impressed by Soroka's efforts this evening, support his fund raising for a Ukrainian orphanage on "GoFundMe"

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Laighin Break wrote: April 30th, 2022, 8:15 pm Just saw on Twitter that Soroka was awarded Player of the Match! Well deserved
Dunno how many people saw his full post game interview on Premier Sports, brilliant, he did a Dan Sheehan on it...
I didn't see RTE
Dont Panic!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Team that finished the match tonight

Milne, Barron, Abdaladze, Murphy, Dunne, S O'Brien, Moloney, Soroka; Foley, H Byrne, Russell, Frawley, Osborne, O'Loughlin, O'Reilly.

8 academy players.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote: April 30th, 2022, 9:30 pm What a legend. Hope this lad has a long Leinster career.

Legend, spoken from the heart