Sharks v Leinster Sat 5.15pm TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Sharks v Leinster Sat 5.15pm TG4

Post by Dexter »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 7:27 pm
propertymad wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 7:21 pm Both scrum halves were poor I think

The box kick from McCarthy that didn't go 10 and led to their try was criminal .... we had them in the backs and we should have gotten the ball wider in the second half

Same with foleys decision making at the end .... Gibson park or McGrath would have gotten that ball wide
Yeah, but the cost of that loss is worth it for the experience they’ll get from it. I don’t think you can coach decision making at scrum half, that has to be learned in the pitch and often in the crucible of defeat…
Absolutely. That was really valuable. Plus the bonus is they'll be pissed off they didn't snatch the W
Dont Panic!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Experimental wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 7:44 pm I dont think we can blame the ref too much for that loss. The Sharks did everything they could to hand it to us, but our forwards got greedy at the end, we could so easily have won. Ruddock TOB and Frawley were outstanding, but some bad perfomances aswell, one that got away, good thing for us we can afford the loss. Id definately have taken a losing bp before the game. Decent showing from the school kids.
I'm not sure many are having a go at the ref. More the farcical TMO involvement/non-involvement.
"He definitely was not in touch"... WTF :lol:
Dont Panic!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 8:36 pm
neiliog93 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 8:36 pm The instant yellow for Josh Murphy for minor and innocuous contact in the air in the line-out was a farce. Very home-biased ref.

It wasn't though. We were on a warning and it was a blatant penalty.
+1, +1

Rhys should have made it clear to Murphy that we were on our second warning. His attempt to pull the inside arm at front of line-out was inept, sloppy and ineffectual. Josh is normally better than that.

They monstered us at maul and scrum and should have had at least two more tries when we had 13. OTOH, we could have won the game or at least drawn it in last 4 minutes by keeping TO'B wide and moving one ball to him or Frawley. Both were top class.

Satisfied, not happy, with one point and believe the physicality we played against is part of the learning curve for many of that Squad. Very sorry to be losing Dunne who survived a very tough game.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Really proud of those lads.

They were completely outgunned but they stuck to it for the full 80 mins and somehow made themselves the chance to win it at the end. To be frank, I would have been very happy before the game with the LBP, and I'm still happy with it.

The most important thing from this mini-tour was to get something from it, in terms of points. The worst result would be to send a squad down there and get no points from the two fixtures.

Massive performances from Rhys, Frawley and Tommy O'Brien. Big efforts from everyone who took the pitch – the effort was 10/10. Couldn't ask for more on that count. Our play was pretty error-ridden, but we were second best physically from gun to tape by a big distance. They should have been able to put us away: they're a team full of World Cup winners playing at home against what averaged out as a third string selection!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

This match has generated more posts than any other URC match this season.
That means something.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 8:41 pm
neiliog93 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 8:36 pm The instant yellow for Josh Murphy for minor and innocuous contact in the air in the line-out was a farce. Very home-biased ref.
Nailed on stone bonker yellow.
Other than the fact that he had to jump across the line cause the throw was miles squint.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

2 peculiar scrum penalties in our favour, especially the one when we were drilled about 5m back. I don't think he was biased but failing to penalise their 13 for joining maul from the side ahead of the ball carrier in their 3rd try was a dreadful decision.
Frawley played beautifully and he deserves a run at 10
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Is it true that Jonkers son is a professional rugby player registered to the Sharks? It's hard to know what to believe nowadays, I tell ya.
Dont Panic!
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Dexter wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 9:55 pm Is it true that Jonkers son is a professional rugby player registered to the Sharks? It's hard to know what to believe nowadays, I tell ya.
It certainly is
Rhynatdt son of Marius Jonker
Not playing today so that’s alright!!!
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

Dundalk 1 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 10:02 pm
Dexter wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 9:55 pm Is it true that Jonkers son is a professional rugby player registered to the Sharks? It's hard to know what to believe nowadays, I tell ya.
It certainly is
Rhynardt apologies
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dundalk 1 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 10:03 pm
Dundalk 1 wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 10:02 pm
It certainly is
Rhynardt apologies
That's mad. Is there a chronic shortage of arrogant TMOs in SA or something?
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 8:54 pm Really proud of those lads.

They were completely outgunned but they stuck to it for the full 80 mins and somehow made themselves the chance to win it at the end. To be frank, I would have been very happy before the game with the LBP, and I'm still happy with it.

The most important thing from this mini-tour was to get something from it, in terms of points. The worst result would be to send a squad down there and get no points from the two fixtures.

Massive performances from Rhys, Frawley and Tommy O'Brien. Big efforts from everyone who took the pitch – the effort was 10/10. Couldn't ask for more on that count. Our play was pretty error-ridden, but we were second best physically from gun to tape by a big distance. They should have been able to put us away: they're a team full of World Cup winners playing at home against what averaged out as a third string selection!
It was also a win left behind. We had one in us.

SA isn't an easy place to go and they were a strong team highly motivated to win. We coughed up some quick tries after our own scores and an intercept.

In contrast to losses earlier in the season we kept our heads, rode out being down players and were pushing to win it at the end. If we were 2 points closer at that we'd have snatched the draw.

Feels like there's a significant relationship between players pulling out before the game and us losing. We have debuts to 2 hookers, in the hardest league fixture in years for a front row.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

If making your debut in the front row in SA doesn’t put hairs in your chest, you were forever destined to be smooth
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Very enjoyable game to watch, despite the result. It reminded you just how rare it is that we are so outmatched physically.

I was disappointed in Porter. He was the only first choice player on the field. He needed lead by example and dig the team out of tough situations. Instead of that, he got us into trouble a couple of times and he looked off the pace of the game.

Rhys was superb, I thought. He was in every ruck, fighting to the last. Left nothing out there. Frawley was great as well - at the heart of pretty much every bit of good backline play.

Great experience for so many players all told. The likes of Clarkson, McKee and Barron more than anyone.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 10:38 pm If making your debut in the front row in SA doesn’t put hairs in your chest, you were forever destined to be smooth
It was already huge for McKee. But he wasn't just thrown in the deep end, he was thrown in with sharks.

He was supposed to get a few minutes against a tiring team coming on with the support of Dooley and Ala'alatoa as part of a 6-2 split. Instead he got full force beside Clarkson. And he had to come back on to prevent Leinster going down to 12 players.

Felt for Barron getting a yellow on his debut. They'll both have better days and a losing bonus point is a result.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Very emotional evening here in Durban. After the floods where 300 of people lost their lives and many more lost their homes etc. Also a late end to covid down here. This was the first game where they were allowed 50% capacity.

I thought the over commercial matchday experience was a pain in the hole with music every break in play and even during kicks etc. The yank type chyte like "kiss cam" and scantily clad cheerleaders etc.

However after the game. The crowd took to the field. The players did signings and selfies with the crowd and there was a great band on for a few hours. It became a super night.

Great that the sharks got the win. They needed it after all Durban has been through and also their position in the table

It took 7 springboks Inc their captain (legend of a man in fairness) to beat our 3rds. And if the ref hadn't stopped play to look at a possible try we would have won. They were gased.

Very proud of the lads.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

wixfjord wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 8:36 pm

It wasn't though. We were on a warning and it was a blatant penalty.
Yes it was definitely a penalty but the contact was minor and a safe landing came after.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

CiaranIrl wrote: April 23rd, 2022, 10:44 pm Rhys was superb, I thought. He was in every ruck, fighting to the last. Left nothing out there.
Wash, rinse, Rhys. I honestly think he has been the most important player for Leinster for the past decade.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Disappointing from Josh Murphy to get sin-binned in the manner he did. Given the amount of pressure we had been under on our own line, to then get a yellow card for an offence on a lineout on halfway was really poor from one of our more experienced players.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Brilliant performance by the lads, Agree with majority of posts hear couldn’t have asked for more from them all. McKee was great and looks like another great hooker for us. Frawley TOB rhys all were superb, think some posts are being harsh on Porter and McCarthy, ports is still only coming back from injury and I thought he put in a shift as he always does. Nick had one error and I too was annoyed with him for that kick that resulted in the penalty that led to a try. But he at least twice made try saving tackles as well as having pretty decent kicks throughout the game. This game will stand to him too