Sharks v Leinster Sat 5.15pm TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Sharks v Leinster Sat 5.15pm TG4

Post by wixfjord »

Given the squad selected, we're looking at something like:

Porter, Kelleher, Mike, Dunne, Murphy, Ruddock, Penny, Deegan, McCarthy, Harry, ROL, Frawley, TOB, Byrne, Osborne
Tracy, Byrne, Vakh, Soroka, Moloney, Foley, Hawkshaw, MOR

Should be interesting to see how that side goes. A win would be nice as it's unlikely we'll take much from the Stormers game.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: Sharks v Leinster Sat 5.15pm TG4

Post by Theleinsterlad »

That pack looks pretty decent but our experience at halfback could be our downfall
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 18th, 2022, 10:42 pm That pack looks pretty decent but our experience at halfback could be our downfall
It'll be a great challenge for Harry, trying to steer the ship under what should be difficult circumstances. He'll certainly get no easy ride.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Interesting squad. Not that surprising that we are effectively forfeiting these games. I think this means Ulster will finish above us in the league, but you only need a top two playing since there’s no home final anymore (as far as I’m aware anyway).

I’m looking forward to seeing the younger players get a chance, but I don’t think that squad will be very competitive in either game. A losing bonus point would be an excellent return here.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

1. Ed Byrne
2. Peter Dooley
3. Michael Milne
4. Andrew Porter
5. Rónan Kelleher
6. John McKee
7. James Tracy
8. Vakh Abdaladze
9. Michael Ala’alatoa
10. Thomas Clarkson
11. Brian Deeny
12. Jack Dunne
13. Josh Murphy
14. Martin Moloney
15. Rhys Ruddock CAPTAIN
16. Seán O’Brien
17. Scott Penny
18. Max Deegan
19. Alex Soroka
20. Cormac Foley
21. Nick McCarthy
22. Harry Byrne
23. David Hawkshaw
24. Tommy O’Brien
25. Rob Russell
26. Ciarán Frawley
27. Rory O’Loughlin
28. Jamie Osborne
29. Adam Byrne
30. Chris Cosgrave
31. Max O’Reilly

Core of a strong squad there, and a few players along to provide cover and get experience. That's if Leo is planning on doing it that way.

The key is going to be halfback. We fall over badly if scrumhalf isn't working. At this stage in his career McCarthy should be well able for it but he does have the odd shocker when he's rusty. This is a big opportunity to be a steady and reliable guide to the team.

Leo could easily have sent Luke. He's trusting McCarthy. Cooney kicked on at a similar enough age and experience profile.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Strange squad, even though I expected us not to risk the frontliners. I haven’t seen how it’s being judged on social meeja but it is a squad that doesn’t show a massive amount of respect for the tour. It makes sense though. We don’t really need much out of it points wise, and it’s a good opportunity for game time.

We seem to have a lot of loosehead props. Presume Porter and Kelleher will start the first game and return home.

We also look thin at second row. Surprised Dev isn’t making the journey, to bring a bit of experience.

Second game might be a baptism of fire.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

wixfjord wrote: April 18th, 2022, 9:22 pm Given the squad selected, we're looking at something like:

Porter, Kelleher, Mike, Dunne, Murphy, Ruddock, Penny, Deegan, McCarthy, Harry, ROL, Frawley, TOB, Byrne, Osborne

Should be interesting to see how that side goes. A win would be nice as it's unlikely we'll take much from the Stormers game.
Has it be confirmed that Milne is moving to TH?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

RoboProp wrote: April 19th, 2022, 8:33 am
wixfjord wrote: April 18th, 2022, 9:22 pm Given the squad selected, we're looking at something like:

Milne is a loosie.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Exactly what I thought, which is why I queried it.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Confused as to why you think Milne has changed sides?

Is it because Allah Allah Toe Ah has the same first name?

They have brought 3 TH and 4 LH I presume so as when Porter and big Mike come home they will still have 5 out there.

When they bring home them and Kelleher that leaves a 28 man squad out there.

A 23 with an extra Loose Head, 2nd row, Back row and a couple of outside backs.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote: April 19th, 2022, 8:57 am Confused as to why you think Milne has changed sides?

Is it because Allah Allah Toe Ah has the same first name?

They have brought 3 TH and 4 LH I presume so as when Porter and big Mike come home they will still have 5 out there.

When they bring home them and Kelleher that leaves a 28 man squad out there.

A 23 with an extra Loose Head, 2nd row, Back row and a couple of outside backs.
That and ronk's post above, case of 2+2 = 3.9999999999999, sure ronk has Kellher in the row, madness I tell you :lol: I need coffee
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

riocard911 wrote: April 19th, 2022, 12:23 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: April 18th, 2022, 10:42 pm That pack looks pretty decent but our experience at halfback could be our downfall
It'll be a great challenge for Harry, trying to steer the ship under what should be difficult circumstances. He'll certainly get no easy ride.
The other concern is that they will target him as he is injury prone
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Theleinsterlad wrote: April 19th, 2022, 10:43 am
riocard911 wrote: April 19th, 2022, 12:23 am
The other concern is that they will target him as he is injury prone
Its SA, he's the 10 - he'll be targeted regardless.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

curates_egg wrote: April 19th, 2022, 7:03 am it is a squad that doesn’t show a massive amount of respect for the tour.
Anyone supporting any other team hoping that Leinster will do them a favour at the end of the league by stopping their opponents, when Leinster already have playoff places secured and have European knockouts ahead, hasn't paid attention to the league for years.

Leinster earn the right to do whatever it is they think is best for them by winning enough games. Don't like it? Beat them so they can't.

Everyone else would do the exact same thing.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

'Big' Mike Alaalatoa
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

wixfjord wrote: April 19th, 2022, 12:51 pm

'Big' Mike Alaalatoa
Note to self, not to post pre-coffee! :oops: :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I think that will be very close to the team, if not the exact team. Maybe Locko in at No13 and Tommy and AB+ on the wings.

Harry Byrne, Frawley and Osborne are all very good kicking options – two right footers and Osborne a left footer. The game is at sea level, so no boost from altitude, but I would play this game very strategically and kick long down the middle of the pitch, a la the French in this year's Six Nations. Don't try and play much rugby in our own half. Make it an abortion of a game, basically!

Kings Park has tended to have very long dead balls in the past, it's a big playing area. It gives you a reasonable amount of room for error if you're kicking towards the posts. The Sharks kick a lot, more than anybody else in the league. We're mid-table in terms of how often we kick, but have kicked for the most metres. It's something that we definitely have worked on. Key issue in that gameplan is not to give away cheap penalties by moving forward when you're in an offside position – discipline is a must. Wait for a following winger to put you onside. It's a lot of chasing for the wingers, but my reading of the weather forecast is that it is not going to be an especially warm day.

My thinking would be that we don't let the game get out of hand at any stage. Keep the scoreboard tight so that our inexperienced bench doesn't have to chase the game – the starting XV is good, but there's very little on the bench to match.

Don't set ourselves up to be battered on/behind the gainline on the openside. Over the last couple of seasons, when we have fielded a weakened team that has where we have come a cropper – playing off No10 on the openside, allowing their defensive line to set, come up quick and hit us hard. Play more on the blindside, kick from No10 or No12 more often on the openside.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

hugonaut wrote: April 19th, 2022, 6:49 pm

I think that will be very close to the team, if not the exact team. Maybe Locko in at No13 and Tommy and AB+ on the wings.

Harry Byrne, Frawley and Osborne are all very good kicking options – two right footers and Osborne a left footer. The game is at sea level, so no boost from altitude, but I would play this game very strategically and kick long down the middle of the pitch, a la the French in this year's Six Nations. Don't try and play much rugby in our own half. Make it an abortion of a game, basically!

Kings Park has tended to have very long dead balls in the past, it's a big playing area. It gives you a reasonable amount of room for error if you're kicking towards the posts. The Sharks kick a lot, more than anybody else in the league. We're mid-table in terms of how often we kick, but have kicked for the most metres. It's something that we definitely have worked on. Key issue in that gameplan is not to give away cheap penalties by moving forward when you're in an offside position – discipline is a must. Wait for a following winger to put you onside. It's a lot of chasing for the wingers, but my reading of the weather forecast is that it is not going to be an especially warm day.

My thinking would be that we don't let the game get out of hand at any stage. Keep the scoreboard tight so that our inexperienced bench doesn't have to chase the game – the starting XV is good, but there's very little on the bench to match.

Don't set ourselves up to be battered on/behind the gainline on the openside. Over the last couple of seasons, when we have fielded a weakened team that has where we have come a cropper – playing off No10 on the openside, allowing their defensive line to set, come up quick and hit us hard. Play more on the blindside, kick from No10 or No12 more often on the openside.
Classic pattern for an away game in the modern era. A few frills I'd add:

1. Mix up the line-out length and options. Don't let their pack settle into a pattern of competition. Even consider the throw over the top of 3 or 4-man line-out as a specific tactic.

2. Use our maul sparingly, but effectively. Maul off the front and back, not the middle, so that the prior knowledge of what we're doing next is a real advantage.

3. Vary our tactical approach off set-pieces, including re-starts. Noel McNamara will have a detailed knowledge of our traditional tactical pattern, so surprise him. Use the short side. Have runners targeting the pocket behind the breakdown. Kick from 2nd centre. Use grubber and short chips.

4. Above all, keep the scoreboard moving. Take points at every opportunity and keep the mental 'tempo' of the game high.

This is a smash and grab raid where 4 points will be a bonanza and even a point might be a crucial addition to our league total.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Just reading around a few of the SA sports sites and they seem to be less then impressed that we send out a "B" squad ('disappointed' seems to be used quite a bit). I get the impression they will look to take it out on our yong'uns over the next couple of weeks.

Could be character building (or "something" building anyway!) :shock:
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Cell C Sharks vs Leinster Rugby at Hollywoodbets Kings Park, Durban - 17h15
Referee: Nika Amashukeli (GEO)
Assistant Referees: AM Jacobs, Stephan Geldenhuys
Television Match Official: Marius Jonker