Leo Cullen

Re: Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leinsters scrum is a mess
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Hippo wrote: May 8th, 2022, 9:48 am Plenty of salty stuff on the Tigers' forum, playing against a 'region/province', Leinster able to rest players, international team, French referee, best team for most of the match etc etc. There'd been some happiness when Reynal was announced as ref but that seems to have dissipated! In stark contrast, Borthwick gave a very classy interview after the match.

The fact is they were played off the park in the first half and then kept pretty much at arms' length in the second. They showed nothing in attack apart from the expected bosh and I thought it was overall an excellent Leinster performance, albeit still with room for some improvement. To go to Welford Road and win comfortably is no mean achievement, I had thought it would be much closer.
The fact that Leinster are only allowed four NIQs (and only actually have one!) doesn't get a mention. Funny that. I wonder how many Non English-qualified players Leicester have.

Edit: looking at the Wikipedia page for Leicester, it looks as though they have about 15 NEQs. It's a bit unclear for some players. There might be an English grandparent somewhere in a few cases.
Last edited by leinsterforever on May 8th, 2022, 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

The Ford “late tackle” is attracting a lot of attention on their forum with suggestions that it was high and could have got a card. It was a bump with Ford clearly exaggerating and rightly called play on.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

the spoofer wrote: May 8th, 2022, 10:08 am The Ford “late tackle” is attracting a lot of attention on their forum with suggestions that it was high and could have got a card. It was a bump with Ford clearly exaggerating and rightly called play on.
The Keenan one, is it?

There couldn't have been less in it!
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

leinsterforever wrote: May 8th, 2022, 10:13 am
the spoofer wrote: May 8th, 2022, 10:08 am The Ford “late tackle” is attracting a lot of attention on their forum with suggestions that it was high and could have got a card. It was a bump with Ford clearly exaggerating and rightly called play on.
The Keenan one, is it?

I was on the terrace and judging by the local reaction you'd swear Keenan set about him with a hurley. Seriously large number of whingers and cry babies around me.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

leinsterforever wrote: May 8th, 2022, 10:13 am
The Keenan one, is it?

It was no big deal but I thought it was a penalty. Keenan actually stopped and apologised which he probably shouldn’t do in future, it very much gave the game away.

He had a quiet enough game except from his run from the restart, wonder if that glove had something to do with it? I’m guessing he’s carrying an injury.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Wiese put in a late, no-arms hit on JS very early on. No mentions of that surprisingly.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

D4surfer wrote:Does anyone have an educated guess of when the semifinal will be played?
Saturday 3.00pm (reliable source)

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Lads we won, a few Leicester fans are salty. That is all
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Haven't watched the match yet but know the score.
Haven't seen the Munster v Toulouse either.
So some observations based on actual results, ht scores and posts here.
Leinster v Toulouse is going to be a bit like France(not quiteToulouse) v Ireland (almost Leinster)
It's likely to go down to the wire.
The main thing Leinster have to ensure, as they did yesterday, is to get off to a good start and not give Toulouse a head start.
It seems strange also that neither Munster nor Toulouse managed to score in extra time.
Was it down to fatigue or did the ref just decide that it wasn't going to be decided by an easy or fortuitous penalty.
What is the overall assessment of the four team's fitness.
Was Leinster's lack of match practice an issue, it almost had to be.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

82% scrum success for us yesterday compared to 60% for Tigers.

70% lineout success compared to 75% for Tigers.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Wake up to the sun beaming down. A bit groggy, then you remember, we won yesterday, blockhead smiles.
Roll on next week.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

ronk wrote: May 8th, 2022, 5:28 am Who am I kidding, 3 French teams in the semis and a final in France. We'll be reffed off the park.
No French ref in the semi and if we win probably none in the final either.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 8th, 2022, 11:32 am Lads we won, a few Leicester fans are salty. That is all
Correct. No point in getting upset about it.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Not sure what to make of the whole front row debate. Genge correctly penalised twice for not scrummaging straight and probably got away with some others. He is strong but technique/legality can be questioned. Porter also correctly penalised once for same offence. Our starting front row did okay I think but no doubt our replacement front row had issues. We may need first choice front row staying on for extended time next Saturday.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:40 pm
ronk wrote: May 8th, 2022, 5:28 am Who am I kidding, 3 French teams in the semis and a final in France. We'll be reffed off the park.
Presumably Pearce or Barnes will ref us on Saturday.
Can see Pearce getting the final, so that would mean Barnes on Saturday.

Pearce is as good as it gets at the moment, in my opinion.
glenageary
Mullet

Post by glenageary »

Feeling very tired!! Got the taxi this morning to east Midlands Airport.... eh meant to go to Birmingham!! £120 mistake!

Poorer - but still happy - great performance by the lads yesterday - and the leinster fans made great noise. Now need to get home and sleep!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Just read Genges post match comments. Seemingly they won the second half 14 3 and could have won the game.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

the spoofer wrote: May 8th, 2022, 1:40 pm Just read Genges post match comments. Seemingly they won the second half 14 3 and could have won the game.
Don't see any issue with either of those statements?

His full comments were totally fair and balanced, focusing more on his own team than us or any potential reffing issues.
“I was gutted,” Genge said.

The difference from the first half to the second half… From 20-0 down to win the second half 14-3 shows where we should have been at. They are a brilliant side and if you play like that in the first half against a team like that then you are going to get punished, and then we had to chase the game.
“It is hard to win from 20-0 down. We did not stop fighting. We did what we did all year for 40 minutes, I just wish we had done it for 80 minutes.

“I don’t want to give an excuse and say they had two weeks off and we were knackered. I would play again now if it meant we had another crack of the whip. Being centrally contracted (with the IRFU), they benefit from being able to rest players as and when. I am just upset at the missed opportunity.”

Genge was then asked it if was hard to compete against a Leinster team which fielded 13 Ireland internationals in their starting 15.

“Look mate, I am not trying to be a p**** here but I don’t want you saying that. We came out there and we fought as hard as we could.

“They have 13 internationals but don’t put us in that bracket of ‘we gave it a good crack’. We could have won that game. I think you know that as well. If anyone is going to say that to me, please don’t because it is going to wind me right up.

“Our boys fought all game so I am not going to come here for someone to say we gave it a good crack and we’re plucky losers. I am not having a pop, but I am just ,saying please don’t say that to me.”
I like Genge. Nightmare to play with and a no bullshit attitude.
Last edited by wixfjord on May 8th, 2022, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

curates_egg wrote: May 8th, 2022, 1:22 pm
blockhead wrote: May 8th, 2022, 12:40 pm
Presumably Pearce or Barnes will ref us on Saturday.
Can see Pearce getting the final, so that would mean Barnes on Saturday.

Pearce is as good as it gets at the moment, in my opinion.
Is Saturday confirmed?