Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

Post by wixfjord »

Well done lads, not easy to go there and win.

LOTS of improvements to be made next week, but we'll take that.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Yesss! Well done. Toughed it out in the end. Now I'm off for a few beers.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Second half very scrappy. James Ryan line out steals important. Hopefully we will be more battle hardened against Toulouse but any win is a good win at Welford Road.
Scooby Shaggy Swerve
Learner

Post by Scooby Shaggy Swerve »

Any word if the semi is on Saturday or Sunday?
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Maybe they will have both semis at the same.time, who knows.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

bluemagic wrote: May 7th, 2022, 7:23 pm Wow the scrum, maul and line out are huge worries
We still look lightweight in the scrum, so any issues with our lineout puts us in big trouble. We will need to be a lot better in a week but I still think we play small and these bigger French sides are going to be a problem.............. again.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Whatever about second row, where we don't have the resources to change things much, I'm really starting to think Rhys is critical to us winning this crown.

Doris is incredible but makes a lot of silly errors and Conan is not in good form.

Given we'll be playing against a team with beasts like Meafou, Arnold, Baille, Marchand, Mauvaka, we'll need as much bulk as we can get.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

That second half was a good test. First one this season.
If Leicester had got the second try in the second quarter, which they really should have, it could have been very squeaky at the end.

Super shift from Ryan given the context.
Genge man of the match for me.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: May 7th, 2022, 7:44 pm Doris is incredible but makes a lot of silly errors and Conan is not in good form.
Don’t want to sound like a broken record about this but I couldn’t agree more.
Conan has had no impact on games this season, whereas Rhys consistently does. Conan will come back to form but, right now, Rhys should be starting.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Well the ref was dire, but no excuses, we lost the first half badly, won the second but not by enough, well played and good luck next week.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

nc6000 wrote: May 7th, 2022, 7:39 pm Maybe they will have both semis at the same.time, who knows.
:lol: :lol:
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Our maul and scrum look likely to do for us against Toulouse and/or the other French teams. A bigger team that can out scrummage us and is prepared to maul us off the park is likely to squeeze the life out of us. This has been an issue for some seasons now and doesn't look like changing as an issue any time soon.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Jaysus lads, we were worried about this game, and then won it handy enough.. now all the negativity about playing the next game. Come on! Let's enjoy this.
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd give us a very good shout against Toulouse I must say.

Based on today, they play in fits and spurts and couldn't live with Munster when the pace was upped.

Their backline is nothing like it was, and particularly in the centres we'll have an advantage.

If we can scramble well and hold on when their forwards get rumbling we've more than enough smarts and attacking capability to take them.

That extra 20 mins at the end of the game and the fact they have to travel again next week has to play into it too.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

As above. The first half was strong from us. I remember reading an article after our loss against Argentina in RWC2015 that if a team gets a 20 point lead they have a 95% chance of winning the match. That only referred to RWC matches, but the statistic has stuck in my memory.

To be 20-0 up at halftime deserves a hell of a lot of credit. The Tigers are running away with it in England and the Welford Road crowd was loud and in the ref's ear a lot. It was a hostile environment against a team who have both a lot of pedigree in the competition and a lot of form this season.

The second half was obviously very scrappy, from both sides. But if we'd started off sh*t and ended by scoring 20 points in a row and winning the game we'd all be over the moon, so recency bias is a huge factor. The overwhelmingly important thing in knock-out rugby is that you win.

In the second half, Leicester had a lot of ball and not many ideas. Their handling was much worse than I expected from what has looked season-long to be a very well-coached team. We put a lot of effort in in that 40 minute period, but made more mistakes than we would normally make.

I was pretty nervous beforehand about this game though, so to come away with such a clear-cut win is encouraging.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Hearing that the 2023 fínal will be in Dublin

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dexter wrote: May 7th, 2022, 8:09 pm Jaysus lads, we were worried about this game, and then won it handy enough.. now all the negativity about playing the next game. Come on! Let's enjoy this.
+1. I’d a takin a 1 point win at Welford Rd so I ain’t changing my mind now. It’s brilliant!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ringer was strangely quiet today. Never got into the game at all.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dexter wrote: May 7th, 2022, 8:09 pm Jaysus lads, we were worried about this game, and then won it handy enough.. now all the negativity about playing the next game. Come on! Let's enjoy this.
Plus one. We have lots of weak spots.
But, as anyone who has watched the last three Toulouse games can see, so do they. They’re not as strong this season and appear to have some injury woes.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: May 7th, 2022, 8:15 pm As above. The first half was strong from us. I remember reading an article after our loss against Argentina in RWC2015 that if a team gets a 20 point lead they have a 95% chance of winning the match. That only referred to RWC matches, but the statistic has stuck in my memory.

To be 20-0 up at halftime deserves a hell of a lot of credit. The Tigers are running away with it in England and the Welford Road crowd was loud and in the ref's ear a lot. It was a hostile environment against a team who have both a lot of pedigree in the competition and a lot of form this season.

The second half was obviously very scrappy, from both sides. But if we'd started off sh*t and ended by scoring 20 points in a row and winning the game we'd all be over the moon, so recency bias is a huge factor. The overwhelmingly important thing in knock-out rugby is that you win.

In the second half, Leicester had a lot of ball and not many ideas. Their handling was much worse than I expected from what has looked season-long to be a very well-coached team. We put a lot of effort in in that 40 minute period, but made more mistakes than we would normally make.

I was pretty nervous beforehand about this game though, so to come away with such a clear-cut win is encouraging.
I took another €10 off Paddy Power. I expected us to win quite comfortably and we did.