Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

TigsMan
Beginner

Re: Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

Post by TigsMan »

wixfjord wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:17 pm George Martin back for Leicester is a big one. They've got four locks in their squad.

Going for Wigglesworth & Nadolo are interesting calls too.

I still think we have a extra bit of class, particularly in our backline and particularly in our centres.

Would fancy Lowe against Ashton I must say, although I hope James doesn't try to do it all himself and overplay which he can to at times.

Won’t be popular but I think Moroni and Ringrose are pretty level on the whole. Moroni is massively underrated outside of Argentina and Leicester

Porter v Henshaw on paper is a massive gap though.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

IT is listing Frawley not TOB at 23.
Typo?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

wixfjord wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm I'm really interested to see if Baird is injured or if that's a selection choice. If the latter, it's a brilliant vindication of McCarthy.
If there is a position Leo knows, and if there is an opposition Leo knows. I think this a horses for courses. McCarthy gives a bit more grunt
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Leicester fan on the tigers fan site just made a very informative dig into the depth of both 23s and has it that it is currently 17 internationals vs 19 internationals. Just goes to show the strength of both sides and the hard task it will be for either team to come out victorious. This is what European rugby should be all about.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

RoboProp wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:24 pm
wixfjord wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm I'm really interested to see if Baird is injured or if that's a selection choice. If the latter, it's a brilliant vindication of McCarthy.
If there is a position Leo knows, and if there is an opposition Leo knows. I think this a horses for courses. McCarthy gives a bit more grunt
Very good point about Leo and his expertise.
Dont Panic!
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Looking at the weight stats on Tigers website (if it can be believed) no's 4 to 8 aren't big in the way that teams like La Rochelle Saracens etc were. Locks at 6-7 118kg & 6-4 119kg. Flankers at 6-0 98lg & 6-6 110kg. No 8 6-3 110kg.

Size isn't everything & there is no doubting that they are good players and well drilled, but I cant see us being overpowered by their forwards. Even if we get parity up front, we have sufficient from 9 to 15 to win this.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

That's the strongest 23 we've selected this season.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Baird suffered an aggravation to his injury during the week. Not sure if McCarthy would have been picked anyway.

Is TOB selected ahead of Larmour on form? Big call if so, would rather have Larmour coming on if we needed to chase the game.

Scrummaging will decide this game, hopefully furlong is out there with a point to prove.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

TrapperChamonix wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:37 pm Looking at the weight stats on Tigers website (if it can be believed) no's 4 to 8 aren't big in the way that teams like La Rochelle Saracens etc were. Locks at 6-7 118kg & 6-4 119kg. Flankers at 6-0 98lg & 6-6 110kg. No 8 6-3 110kg.

Size isn't everything & there is no doubting that they are good players and well drilled, but I cant see us being overpowered by their forwards. Even if we get parity up front, we have sufficient from 9 to 15 to win this.
It's the front 5 that are the challenge, rather than the back row.

Reffell/Wiese aren't massive men but are powerful.

However Genge/Montoya/Cole is very sizeable and they also have two big units in Martin & Wells on the bench.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

bluemagic wrote: May 6th, 2022, 1:03 pm Baird suffered an aggravation to his injury during the week. Not sure if McCarthy would have been picked anyway.

Is TOB selected ahead of Larmour on form? Big call if so, would rather have Larmour coming on if we needed to chase the game.

Scrummaging will decide this game, hopefully furlong is out there with a point to prove.
I'm afraid I'd disagree and would pick TOB ahead of Larmour. He offers more.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

bluemagic wrote: May 6th, 2022, 1:03 pm Baird suffered an aggravation to his injury during the week. Not sure if McCarthy would have been picked anyway.

Has Leo said this or are you assuming?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

the spoofer wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:22 pm
Xanthippe wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:19 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:00 pm
4 non capped.
? ? ?
JOB, TOB, McCarthy & Molony ?
Ah okay - you're talking international caps? I was thinking H-Cup - sorry
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

TMC wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:23 pm IT is listing Frawley not TOB at 23.
Typo?
Definitely a mistake, they also have Dev at 19.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

wixfjord wrote: May 6th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Has Leo said this or are you assuming?
Inside source, but as I said not sure if it influenced the decision to start McCarthy anyway as Ireland are looking to fast track him into the squad
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

the spoofer wrote: May 6th, 2022, 1:06 pm

I'm afraid I'd disagree and would pick TOB ahead of Larmour. He offers more.
Tommy is in fantastic form but Jordan offers an awful lot. He's only played 4 games due to injury these season and scored 4 tries in 4 games and 4 try assists. Not sure if Jordan is fully fit?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

TigsMan wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:23 pm
Won’t be popular but I think Moroni and Ringrose are pretty level on the whole. Moroni is massively underrated outside of Argentina and Leicester

Always disappointed his parents didn't call him Angel.

If we were at home, looking at the teams, I'd probably be confident. Away is a different proposition. Should be a cracking game though. I think we will edge it.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Two survivors on each team from our last meeting. Healy and Sexton for us (they were also on the bench last time we played at Welford Road) while Dan Cole and Ben Youngs started for them in 2011.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

fourthirtythree wrote: May 6th, 2022, 2:03 pm
TigsMan wrote: May 6th, 2022, 12:23 pm

Always disappointed his parents didn't call him Angel.

If we were at home, looking at the teams, I'd probably be confident. Away is a different proposition. Should be a cracking game though. I think we will edge it.
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm worried about the scrum and the breakdown, as much because of the ref as the opposition. I used to like Raynal but the breakdown is usually far too messy with him now and that could even up the back rows significantly. Tbf to Genge he doesn't need a leg up from any ref to dominate a scrum and that could be a game changer for them. I hope we get angry Tadhg tomorrow, he's had an average enough few months and hopefully he evens things up after Twickenham. With the lead in he's had to this game I expect a big performance from him.

One big frustration I've had in some of our big European losses in recent years is not having a plan B or being reluctant to change things. If we do hit a brick wall tomorrow then I hope we've learned from those games and are able to work our way out of it.

We're much better on paper but I don't feel all that confident, they're exactly the kind of team that could disrupt our set piece enough to take away the platform we need to play.
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

An item. We z can z. Cc so, d an dá zu z,s,. An

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk