Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leicester V Leinster EPCR q/f 2022

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:35 am I think there's a chance we start McGrath for this. Seems the type of challenge that Leo et al like to use him for.
it would be a ballsy move given JGP's form and McGraths history in big games in europe.

suppose maybe they'd rather have JGP closing out the game..
Atlas
Bookworm

Post by Atlas »

I wouldn't say Kelleher is certain to start given his lack of game time
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Atlas wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:48 am I wouldn't say Kelleher is certain to start given his lack of game time
i'd say he is.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 5th, 2022, 10:32 am
Atlas wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:48 am I wouldn't say Kelleher is certain to start given his lack of game time
i'd say he is.
I would agree, as good as Dan the man is, I think Leicester will target the scrum and Kelleher just has that much more nous at the minute. Dan's height could also work against him when scrummaging sometimes.

This is a game I would love Fardy for, for that boot, b***ock and bite we will need
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Dan suffers the same problem that cronin does (to a much lesser extent). His offerings in open play against tired legs makes it too easy for coaches to leave him on the bench especially when Kelleher is so good in the tight with his defence.
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 5th, 2022, 7:12 am
suisse wrote: May 5th, 2022, 4:20 am Yeah I once cared about the Lions. The first one I vaguely remember was '93, we watched on a luxurious family holiday in Courtown. '97 was epic and then there was all the excitement about BoD in 2001. That was the peak of my interest in the Lions and it eroded swiftly after. The 09 second test in Pretoria was one of the best matches I've seen but generally speaking I don't care about the Lions. I don't care (I know the players do, but I don't) which players get picked or how they play. I just hope we don't get any injuries.

Now, more than ever before, we consider the other nations making up the Lions as rivals. We play so many games against Welsh and Scottish club sides in the URC, we face them and the English sides in Europe and of course the 6N. Doesn't seem to make any sense anymore to suddenly join with these players we spend 4 years beating (or trying to beat) for......a friendly tour? (Yes, I know, rugby hates the word friendly and everything must be a test, but these are friendlies). I've seen one Lions game in my life. The friendly against the Barbarians in HK (there was nothing test match about that game). It felt like a very British occasion. It is a team for the British rugby fans. I don't care what anyone else thinks but the "and Irish" Lions addition is totally unnecessary. We don't need to be part of this anymore. It is also interesting explaining the concept to non or new fans. "Yeah we're not part of the UK but we join this team every 4 years and as you can see there are lots of Union flags but there are Irish players out there too." This is absolutely not anti British thing. But the Lions smells like a British rugby team we were once part of but the political landscape changed yet we're still and we try desperately hard to let everyone remember the "and Irish" part. A brief glance at local SA media last summer shows a number of media outlets just don't bother "and Irish" and I don't blame them.

On a Lions tour summer to NZ, SA or Aus, Ireland would be competing with the French to get the best available lucrative tour option. I'd much rather that. But I know most people won't agree and that's fine.

I support Ireland and then Leinster. There is no room for the British and Irish Lions.
+1 good contribution and reflects the views of many fans.

The reality is that the Lions is supported by the 'home' Unions as part of the World Rugby model because each of the three Southern Hemisphere nations depend on Lions Tours to support their game. This is particularly the case for NZ and Australia. Without Lions Tours, these countries would see a substantial drain of players to the North. That could result in the end of a competitive RU team in Australia in particular.
Off topic but followed the Lions around Australia for 6 weeks in 2001, great rugby, great experience and great memories. Was in the Gaba for that BOD try. Think the concept has been damaged by things like the Geography 6 and the continued selection of Gatland as the coach, it has become very money driven and the rugby is very pragmatic / results driven but it is just a brilliant experience and great crack to follow the tour. Think the players still value it too, as long as that is the case then think it should be protected and persisted with. Second best thing in the game to a RWC IMO. What's seldom is wonderful.

Re Selection for this weekend, Kelleher to start better in scrum. Hopefully Ryan good to go. Would start Ruddock personally instead of Conan and put Doris at 8 but don’t think they’ll do that. Would stick with JCB, easiest way to beat them is at pace, KBA and attack them when they haven't realigned, Leicester want a structured arm wrestle, why give it to them?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Nervous Ninnies time.
First squeaky bum match of the season.
Biggest issue for this one.
I've a communion to go to on Saturday, which I wouldn't miss for the world so I'll be watching a recording and trying to avoid knowing the result.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'm pretty confident I have to say.

And I'm also confident that if we can't win this game we don't deserve to be Heino champs.

We've had a three week unhindered lead in to prepare for this game and we've pretty much a full strength team to pick from, which is unheard of at this stage of the seaso.

Looking at the two potential 23s, I just think we've an extra dash of class and test level experience that Tigers don't at this stage.

Hopefully the performance can match up as we've a huge opportunity to go all the way.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:01 pm I'm pretty confident I have to say.

And I'm also confident that if we can't win this game we don't deserve to be Heino champs.

We've had a three week unhindered lead in to prepare for this game and we've pretty much a full strength team to pick from, which is unheard of at this stage of the seaso.

Looking at the two potential 23s, I just think we've an extra dash of class and test level experience that Tigers don't at this stage.

Hopefully the performance can match up as we've a huge opportunity to go all the way.
Hope you're right. Do Leicester have any significant injury concerns?
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dexter wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:07 pm

Dan Kelly, George Martin and Van Staden are all on injured list I believe. I don't think their squad is as deep as ours to being with, which is why they've brought in guys like Ashton and Olly Robinson.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 5th, 2022, 9:12 am Is there any doubt behind what the leinster starting XV will be?

1. Porter
2. Kelleher
3. Furlong
4. Molony
5. Ryan
6. Doris
7. JVDF
8. Conan
9. JGP
10. Sexton
11. Lowe
12. Henshaw
13. Ringrose
14. JOB
15. Keenan
Probably right. They have picked Jordan consistently when fit but JOB has clearly been excellent. Baird vs Maloney is a discussion too. Depends on the game plan I guess!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Van Staden is back in training, but doubtful to be in this squad, maybe he will play in the semi final against Munster................................... :mrgreen:
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

wixfjord wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:09 pm
Dexter wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:07 pm

Dan Kelly, George Martin and Van Staden are all on injured list I believe. I don't think their squad is as deep as ours to being with, which is why they've brought in guys like Ashton and Olly Robinson.
I think we could be in for some top-tier sledging between Ashton and Lowe, after Ashton's remarks about Lowe. I hope Lowe shuts him by having the game of his life. Ashton is a top guy off the pitch by all accounts, but a right sheet on it, I suppose as top try scorer in the Premiership he's earned that right
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

What did Ashton say?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

ronk wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:31 pm What did Ashton say?
https://www.rugbydump.com/news/chris-as ... -question/
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

'Too big, too heavy, too slow' – Former England winger Ashton launches scathing criticism of James Lowe

Indo headline after the Ireland 18-7 defeat to England in Twickenham in November 2020.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 89956.html
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

RoboProp wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:32 pm
It's amazing he didn't get more caps under Eddie Jones given what a total count he is.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

curates_egg wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:42 pm
RoboProp wrote: May 5th, 2022, 12:32 pm
It's amazing he didn't get more caps under Eddie Jones given what a total count he is.
Aye, but he's only a count on the pitch. I have heard and read umpteen (I'm bringing it back!) accounts of him being a total Leg End off the pitch, especially with kids with additional needs etc. as a dad of a kid with additional needs it was nice to see
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I'd love to see Ashton starting. He's had an incredible career but at 35 and with no club a few months ago I feel he's a target.

Nadolo likewise is a guy who we've managed before and while he's a destroyer one on one, I would feel we could target in defence and with kicking.

Tigers do have brilliant players at 9,10 and 15, but across the rest of the backline I would give us a significant edge.
TigsMan
Beginner

Post by TigsMan »

I reckon Tiger might go with
1. Genge, 2. Montoya, 3. Cole
4. Chessum, 5. Wells
6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Wiese
9. Youngs, 10. Ford
12. Scott, 13. Moroni
11. Potter, 14. Ashton, 15. Steward

16. Clare, 17. Whitcombe, 18. Heyes