Leinster v Connacht Aviva Friday 15th 5.30

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Leinster v Connacht Aviva Friday 15th 5.30

Post by wixfjord »

Leinster Rugby head coach Leo Cullen has issued an injury update ahead of Friday's Heineken Champions Cup Round of 16 second leg clash with Connacht at Aviva Stadium (KO 5.30pm - LIVE on BT Sport and RTÉ Radio One).

It's all positive news this week for Cullen as there are no fresh injuries to report following the first leg win at The Sportsground on Saturday.

In addition, all of Andrew Porter, Rónan Kelleher, Jordan Larmour and Michael Milne have all recovered from their respective injuries and will train as normal this week.

Porter and Kelleher have been absent since picking up knocks during the Six Nations while Larmour suffered a hip injury in the win over Benetton Rugby at the beginning of March.

Prop Milne is yet to make an appearance in this campaign and will be a welcome addition as the squad prepare for a busy window of action.

There are no further updates on:

Dave Kearney (hamstring), Will Connors (knee), James Ryan (concussion) and Ryan Baird (back)
Sounds like Porter/Kelleher are back in action which is a great addition to our front row depth and bench impact.

I'd go for:

Porter, Sheehan, Furlong, Molony, Murphy, Doris, VDF, Conan, JGP, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringer, JOB, Keenan
Kelleher, Healy, Mike, McCarthy, Rhys, Luke, Byrne, Frawley

Could see Larmour come onto the bench either and the bench lock/backrow spots could be Toner/Deegan, but beyond that I'd say it's a fairly settled side.

Ryan & Baird injuries are worrying, but if we get through Friday there's a good three weeks before a QF.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Connacht Aviva Friday 15th 5.30

Post by RoboProp »

I'm beginning to worry over JR's concussions
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

RoboProp wrote: April 11th, 2022, 2:37 pm I'm beginning to worry over JR's concussions
Last season he left the pitch with a HIA against Scotland on 14 March and returned to action against Munster in the Rainbow Cup on 24 April (we didn't have a game the previous week).

This season he was concussed against England on 12 March.

The repeated knocks are a real worry but the fact that he's been pictured taking some part in training over the last few weeks gives me a small dose of optimism that he'll be back.

edit: Pictured again taking part in some of the training today.
Last edited by cormac on April 11th, 2022, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

RoboProp wrote: April 11th, 2022, 2:37 pm I'm beginning to worry over JR's concussions
As a bigger them then yes it's a big worry, albeit I don't think him being unavailable for this particular game is anything to worry more about.

He's obviously being given ample time to recover like Doris last season. He's doing cardio training it seems too so probably not that far from a return.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I'd start Deegan or Ruddock. I think they have done enough to deserve a start, and I think Conan has done enough this season (in the opposite sense) to not deserve automatic selection. In particular, I think it would be good to see Deegan given a crack. He has worked hard to come back from injury and has been working hard around the pitch.

Same argument could be made for Frawley but I think, given the circumstances and the Aki factor, we will definitely start Henrose.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I'd be more worried about concussion if a player was magically available in time for a big game.

If we can't beat Connacht at home without Ryan then we wouldn't have gotten much further anyway.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Might have spotted our starting front row from today's training photos.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775798675/#3
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Henshaw's form since the lions tour is concerning, Frawley must be pushing him close.
Assume that JGP could be cited?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Barry wrote: April 11th, 2022, 3:48 pm Assume that JGP could be cited?
He could be, but I wouldn't expect him to be. I think based on the referee's interpretation, the decision was correct, most notably his assertion that it was a low degree of danger. Even without mitigation, that puts it at a yellow card based on World Rugby's own framework for high tackles. He was static in the tackle ("accepts the tackle" in the ref parlance), but does turn his shoulder. If they are going to cite him, they would have to decide that there's a high degree of danger, I honestly think it's too borderline to overrule the ref's decision on the pitch.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

cormac wrote: April 11th, 2022, 3:36 pm Might have spotted our starting front row from today's training photos.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/775798675/#3
Lookin' good!!! :D
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Luke Pearce is the ref for this game.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Serb wrote: April 11th, 2022, 4:12 pm
He could be, but I wouldn't expect him to be. I think based on the referee's interpretation, the decision was correct, most notably his assertion that it was a low degree of danger. Even without mitigation, that puts it at a yellow card based on World Rugby's own framework for high tackles. He was static in the tackle ("accepts the tackle" in the ref parlance), but does turn his shoulder. If they are going to cite him, they would have to decide that there's a high degree of danger, I honestly think it's too borderline to overrule the ref's decision on the pitch.
Has the deadline for citings not passed by now? The match kicked off nearly 72 hours ago.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

joooooe wrote:
Serb wrote: April 11th, 2022, 4:12 pm
Has the deadline for citings not passed by now? The match kicked off nearly 72 hours ago.
Usually they don't announce any citings untill the deadline (50 hours from kickoff) from the final match has passed
I have Bumbleflex
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Yeah wasn’t aware of the specific timelines but looks like they have until Wednesday at 3.30pm to cite JGP or anyone else from the game.

I also noticed that Connacht can refer incidents to the citing commissioner up until 26 hours before kickoff. I assume they would have done it by now if they planned to though.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Serb wrote: April 11th, 2022, 10:33 pm Yeah wasn’t aware of the specific timelines but looks like they have until Wednesday at 3.30pm to cite JGP or anyone else from the game.

I also noticed that Connacht can refer incidents to the citing commissioner up until 26 hours before kickoff. I assume they would have done it by now if they planned to though.
Would be pretty hard to have a hearing with less than 24 hours before the team is named.

Would he be able to play?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Serb wrote: April 11th, 2022, 10:33 pm Yeah wasn’t aware of the specific timelines but looks like they have until Wednesday at 3.30pm to cite JGP or anyone else from the game.
no, they have 50 hours from friday at 8pm to cite him - when they announce any citing is a different matter
I have Bumbleflex
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Oh sorry totally misread the EPCR citing rules
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote: April 11th, 2022, 2:46 pm
Last season he left the pitch with a HIA against Scotland on 14 March and returned to action against Munster in the Rainbow Cup on 24 April (we didn't have a game the previous week).

This season he was concussed against England on 12 March.

The repeated knocks are a real worry but the fact that he's been pictured taking some part in training over the last few weeks gives me a small dose of optimism that he'll be back.

edit: Pictured again taking part in some of the training today.
It's kind of pointless discussing complex medical issues on a message board. With him and Baird missing that's a big gap in our fire power. We've had decent deputies but those are 2 international locks in the games we've played but should we progress to the final stages Ryan and Baird need to be fit.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Friend, to his credit, said he thought the ref's decision was correct, so hardly.

https://www.the42.ie/andy-friend-yellow ... 6-Apr2022/
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

RPG cited after all.