Leinster v Connacht Aviva Friday 15th 5.30

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster v Connacht Aviva Friday 15th 5.30

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I don't know about the rest of you but I thought that a turnout of just under 33k for a Good Friday was a great return for Leinster. I wasn't expecting anything like that to be honest. Must be one of the biggest crowds in Europe this year, no?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Connacht targeted Sexton fair enough.
But there's nothing fair or right in doing what Aki did.
A YC for Aki was a disgraceful decision.
Hopefully he'll be cited and get a decent ban because he has previous.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If there was ever a time to send Toner to do a conversion it was yesterday.

I don't think it was even considered and I support that. I think it fits with our ethos.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

ronk wrote: April 16th, 2022, 11:04 am If there was ever a time to send Toner to do a conversion it was yesterday.

I don't think it was even considered and I support that. I think it fits with our ethos.
We could have let him take one of Connacht’s to give them a hand.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The first 10 minutes I was nervous. We didn’t do anything but kick away the ball and it was all Connacht. Then we get possession in our own 22 and go the length of the field and score. Just ruthless. You love to see it.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Something about Connacht I noticed yesterday and also noticed in the URC game in the RDS. Their players take out the opposition miles beyond the ruck and the ball. They do it so consistently, it has to be pre planned, and a tactic. An obvious example from yesterday. Look was where Jack Aungier finished with JVDF, when he was yellow carded

Highly effective both yesterday and in the RDS, but highly illegal.

Why havent referees picked this up, or why havent we flagged this in advance of the game. Maybe with did, and Luke Pearse is too important to bother with it !
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Just saw that Ruddock was Leinster's top tackler (22) despite coming on in the 37th minute! Serious appetite.

And Ross Byrne beat 4 defenders in the short time he was on
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

bails wrote: April 16th, 2022, 12:56 pm Something about Connacht I noticed yesterday and also noticed in the URC game in the RDS. Their players take out the opposition miles beyond the ruck and the ball. They do it so consistently, it has to be pre planned, and a tactic. An obvious example from yesterday. Look was where Jack Aungier finished with JVDF, when he was yellow carded

Highly effective both yesterday and in the RDS, but highly illegal.

Why havent referees picked this up, or why havent we flagged this in advance of the game. Maybe with did, and Luke Pearse is too important to bother with it !
Left gaps trying to hit Sexton. Just poor discipline. You'll have good days when you get away with it but the better teams can mix it up and you need to offer more.

Pity as they're capable of being physical and playing rugby. Friend had an interesting comment about how intensity and focus goes down some weeks in training and challenged the squad to raise standards.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

curates_egg wrote: April 16th, 2022, 7:19 am On the incidents:
- Hugo should have had yellow.
- I genuinely believe the Aki one was a cracking tackle. I thought so at the game (was just in front of me). It’s a torso hit, with a wrap.
- Aungier’s was unnecessary, high, reckless and dangerous; no arm shoulder barge that hits his face: red all day.
I thought the same about Aki at the game but I've had a look at replays and there's head on head contact as well as the shoulder on shoulder. I can kind of see why the ref went with yellow because the shoulder on shoulder contact absorbs some of the force but he's very lucky IMO.

I can't understand why Aungier wasn't sent off. How can a shoulder to the head be low danger? That's on top of it being a no arms tackle off the ball.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeinsterLeader wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:39 am I don't know about the rest of you but I thought that a turnout of just under 33k for a Good Friday was a great return for Leinster. I wasn't expecting anything like that to be honest. Must be one of the biggest crowds in Europe this year, no?
I thought the same. Decent turnout and more than I expected.
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Schumi wrote: April 16th, 2022, 2:40 pm
curates_egg wrote: April 16th, 2022, 7:19 am On the incidents:
- I genuinely believe the Aki one was a cracking tackle. I thought so at the game (was just in front of me). It’s a torso hit, with a wrap.
- Aungier’s was unnecessary, high, reckless and dangerous; no arm shoulder barge that hits his face: red all day.
I thought the same about Aki at the game but I've had a look at replays and there's head on head contact as well as the shoulder on shoulder. I can kind of see why the ref went with yellow because the shoulder on shoulder contact absorbs some of the force but he's very lucky IMO.

I can't understand why Aungier wasn't sent off. How can a shoulder to the head be low danger? That's on top of it being a no arms tackle off the ball.
It was a laughably stupid clear out. It was such an obvious card, and just when Connacht were starting to make some progress with the ball.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Aungier took idiocy to new depths; should have been a red as it was way off the ball, a high stiff arm and dangerous
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It it just me or does it look like Aungier a fair bit of surplus weight.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote: April 16th, 2022, 7:10 pm It it just me or does it look like Aungier a fair bit of surplus weight.
He’s packing some serious size alright, not sure how much of it is useful though
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

wixfjord wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:04 am
curates_egg wrote: April 16th, 2022, 7:19 am

Just watched it back. As slick as our backline was, and as good as the platform was, the Connacht defending is really poor. So many missed tackles and positional/decision-making errors.

On the incidents:
Watch it again.

It's a late hit and his head makes contact with Sexton's jaw first.

Clear yellow and could've been a red. Wrap and Sexton's slight post pass dip is probably the thing that brings it down.

Pause this at 3.14 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyE_5E ... allengeCup

Aki was trying to act the hard man after missing Robbie earlier.
I don’t see definite head contact in any of the angles but, the way Sexton’s head goes back, it doesn’t look good.
It’s either a perfectly good hit or a red though. Yellow is nonsense.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ah no, there’s definitely head on head contact there CE
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Very disappointed that Dev wasn't given the last minute conversion

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

curates_egg wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:01 pm
wixfjord wrote: April 16th, 2022, 10:04 am
curates_egg wrote: April 16th, 2022, 7:19 am

Just watched it back. As slick as our backline was, and as good as the platform was, the Connacht defending is really poor. So many missed tackles and positional/decision-making errors.

On the incidents:
Watch it again.

It's a late hit and his head makes contact with Sexton's jaw first.

Clear yellow and could've been a red. Wrap and Sexton's slight post pass dip is probably the thing that brings it down.

Pause this at 3.14 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REyE_5E ... allengeCup

Aki was trying to act the hard man after missing Robbie earlier.
I don’t see definite head contact in any of the angles but, the way Sexton’s head goes back, it doesn’t look good.
It’s either a perfectly good hit or a red though. Yellow is nonsense.
It was deliberately late, with no chance of being there with the ball, and then also high. It's not worth discussing. He was just laying a hurt on and got it wrong with his height. Should be called as a penalty anyway. after that you enter the red/yellow lottery.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Barry wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:41 pm Very disappointed that Dev wasn't given the last minute conversion

Not me. I thought it was classy to pass up the chance.

Connacht get a pass if they ever are bad winners, they're underdogs. We won't. We can win as the good guys, so let's wear it.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Barry wrote: April 16th, 2022, 9:41 pm Very disappointed that Dev wasn't given the last minute conversion

That little part of me that takes enjoyment from hearing a gickonian got kicked in the nuts agrees with you, but I’m trying to be a better person.